$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bobby Brown's sister vows family feud is just beginning
- William S. Morris IV named CEO of Morris Communications Co.
- Confederate flag support rally held at Stone Mountain Park
- The Latest: Memorial service for Bobbi Kristina Brown ends
- The Latest: Controversy erupts at service for Bobbi Kristina
- Standing desks starting to catch on at Robins Air Force Base
- The Latest: Mourners arrive for funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Coast Guard rescues 2 women off the coast of Georgia
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot worth $222,949.83
- Lucky Money jackpot rises to $1.8 million
- Police: Gunfire at Brooklyn backyard party injures 9
- Schumer calls for upgrades in stretch limo standards
- The Nation's Weather
- Photos of endangered animals shine on Empire State Building
- Woman gets probation in boyfriend's death by neglect
- Dr. Dre announces release of first album in 15 years
- NYC health official expects more Legionnaires' disease cases
- Verizon strike possible as contract deadline looms
- Q&A on possible extradition for dentist who killed lion
- Firefighter killed, hundreds flee as California blazes burn
- Russian police detain several gay activists
- Russian forces kill 8 suspected IS members in North Caucasus
- Zimbabwe alleges 2nd American involved in illegal lion hunt
- Rebels in eastern Ukraine say radioactive waste cache safe
- Rome-Milan train service back after storm pummels Florence
- UAE prosecutor refers 41 people to trial on terror charges
- Malaysia seeks help to expand search for MH370 debris
- Saudi citizen killed by incoming fire from neighboring Yemen
- Zimbabwe confirms lion named Jericho has not been shot
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!