Friday: Becoming sunny. Still chilly with a high in the mid/upper 40s. A light wind shifting from ... More...
$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police fear gunman may be targeting homeless
- Deputy wounded by shotgun expected to recover
- Gwinnett County police: Pedestrian deaths on rise
- Flying tire kills woman as she walks along road
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7 percent
- State parks open Thanksgiving, Christmas, Jan. 1
- Legislative panel to discuss DeKalb cityhood
- Sheriff: Teen staged shooting for attention
- Park continues with Snow Mountain, Christmas event
- US adult smoking rate dips just under 18 percent
- 2 NY children rescued from snowbank
- Early bird shoppers turn out on Thanksgiving
- Visitors crowd Vegas buffets for a day of feasting
- Small quake rattles California wine country
- 1-year-old unharmed in New Orleans carjacking
- Flight 93 chapel closed after being struck by car
- Central Florida family rescued from state forest
- Giant balloons draw oohs, ahhs at Macy's parade
- For some, location of Brown's hands irrelevant
- Ferguson gives thanks for community, dressing up plywood on windows and saying a prayer
- Violence in China continued despite crackdown
- Volcano in south Japan erupts, disrupting flights
- Namibia votes in election favoring ruling party
- Japanese paper regrets use of term 'sex slaves'
- Indonesian, 2 Filipinos convicted in 2002 bombing
- 1.2 million Australian Christmas lights set record
- Storm cuts power, lifts roofs in Australian city
- Fugitive New Zealand killer deported from Brazil
- Protesters wounded by gunfire in northeast Haiti
- Riviera rains leave at least 1 dead in flooding
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!