$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years
- 3 men sentenced to prison in anti-government militia plot
- Police investigate murder-suicide of parents in Georgia
- Georgia man guilty for 2nd time of stealing sea turtle eggs
- US businessman arrested in Sierra Leone 'blood diamond' case
- Pawn shop sells Jack Kevorkian's assisted suicide van
- Strong winds blamed for 2 deaths in Seattle area
- The Latest: Clinton: Celebrate progress but continue work
- Hammerhead shark sighting prompts California beach closure
- Police: NY mom killed baby girl, lived with body for months
- Missing hiker found alive after 9 days lost in Sierra Nevada
- Police: Mom shot answering front door was likely targeted
- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time
- The Latest: Nancy Pelosi praises New Orleans' progress
- Pope: Let's stop crimes like deaths of migrants in trucks
- China seizes 620 turtles and tortoises smuggled from Vietnam
- Driver arrested, charged with negligence in Swaziland crash
- Nepal's sexual minorities parade to demand rights
- Schools to open on time in Chinese city shaken by blasts
- Germany, France, Britain press for EU action on migrants
- Tens of thousands protest defense bills outside Japan's Diet
- Afghan official says forces retake district from Taliban
- El Salvador officials deactivate powerful car bomb
- Dominica digs out from storm damage that killed at least 20
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!