$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Retired Emory law professor gives $1 million to law school
- Ga. animal welfare group hosting watch party, adoption event
- Ga. law enforcement watching for drunk game day drivers
- Ex-APS official says district ordered documents destroyed
- 2 loaded guns, 2 inert grenades recovered at Atlanta airport
- Alabama gay couple wants court victory to take effect
- Suit says DeKalb court practices unjustly target the poor
- Black breast-feeding gatherings battle troubling health gaps
- Ga. Senate passes bill requiring coverage for autism therapy
- Work begins to raise Confederate warship from Savannah River
- Cold-stunned turtles rehabilitated in New Orleans, released
- Judge to hear arguments on constitutionality of no fly list
- What red ink? As deficits dip, all sides seek more spending
- Media ask judge to unseal warrants in family's deaths
- Federal prosecutors drop 2 dozen stash house sting charges
- NASA moisture satellite launch scrubbed due to winds
- 35 years after boy Etan Patz vanished, murder trial to open
- Lawyer says Suge Knight was behind wheel in deadly crash
- Most of Hawaii's coral recover from mass bleaching
- 1 of 4 remaining World War II Doolittle Raiders dies at 94
- Nigeria's president: Troops liberate town from Boko Haram
- Vietnam grounds decades-old Huey choppers after fatal crash
- Chinese MH370 relatives reject word that passengers are dead
- Belgian authorities detain 4 in anti-terror sweep
- Former Bulgarian president dies at 79
- Twin bombing at Baghdad market kills 8 people
- Teen who demanded airtime on Dutch TV in police custody
- US-backed Mexico dam project triggered protest, rare defeat
- Philippines mourn 44 police commandos; terror suspect hunted
- China education minister demands rejection of Western values
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!