Tonight: Clouds returning and not as cold with an overnight low in the mid to upper 40s. An east to northeast wind at 10mph.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance for showers south, especially late day. A cooler afternoon high in the low/mid ... More...
$1.2 Million in Grants for Two Area Schools
Two Chattanooga-area schools will receive more than a million dollars in grant money.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam announced Friday a total of $1,290,786 in workforce development grants for Chattanooga State Community College and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Chattanooga.
Chattanooga State received a total grant award of $960,550 to fund equipment for a new nuclear power plant simulation lab and an expansion of its advanced mechatronics program. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear technicians is expected to grow by 14 percent from 2010-2020.
TCAT-Chattanooga received a total grant award of $330,236 to fund necessary equipment to become a certified Snap-on institution in an additional five areas – diagnostic certification, diesel certification, undercar certification, torque certification and tool control systems certification. Graduates of the program at TCAT-Chattanooga can become employees of a variety of area companies such as Volkswagen, Peterbilt, McKee Foods, Nichols Marine and more.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Developers interested in baseball stadium property
- US Chamber endorses Kingston in Ga. Senate race
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Atlanta airport officials mulling terminal hotel
- Geico planning middle Ga. expansion
- Acting Cumberland Island chief to stay permanently
- Old meat processing site now island research lab
- Water main break floods Atlanta street
- Atlanta Braves change policy on guns in stadium
- Man killed, woman wounded in Union City shooting
- Woman, teenager found dead in Lake Erie; 2 missing
- Texas town honors 15 killed in year-ago explosion
- 2 long-time friends discuss the First Amendment
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Flight lands safely in Indiana after threat
- Condition upgraded for victim of firetruck crash
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Oregon ruling spurs halt on immigration detainers
- Woman convicted in hammer beating speaks to jury
- 2 boaters found dead in Lake Erie ID'd; 2 missing
- Rob Ford acknowledges "rocky moments" at rally
- Dutch man's case linked to Amanda Todd
- Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts
- Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd
- Argentina considers crackdown on street protests
- Was captain among first to leave?
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
- Thugs with machetes attack Nigerian party congress
- Hail wreaks Easter travel havoc in Mexico City
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!