2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bobby Brown's lawyer: Bobbi Kristina Brown has opened eyes
- Georgia high court upholds ruling tossing murder conviction
- Severe weather moves through north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia accused of Pennsylvania jury scam
- Weather advisories issued for north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia charged in Pennsylvania jury scam
- Man charged in 4 deaths waives arraignment in 1 case
- Weather advisories issued for north, central Georgia
- Gov. Nathan Deal to sign education reform legislation
- GA GOP district conventions support 'religious freedom' bill
- Woman who designed "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign dies
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Sapling planted in Michael Brown's memory destroyed
- Developments in tensions between police and communities
- Questions, answers about federal anti-radicalization effort
- Clinton pushes back against foundation criticism
- US judge puts off Durst weapons charge trial until September
- Family spokesman: Alabama woman leaves to join ISIS in Syria
- US to send Ukraine $18 million in food, health, shelter aid
- Appeals court rules against higher water rates for big users
- Japan PM sends offerings to criticized war shrine
- Australia: EU needs tough border control after boat tragedy
- S. Korea's prime minister offers to resign amid scandal
- Mother of Ukraine pilot jailed in Russia seeks global help
- Captain, crew member of shipwrecked immigrant vessel jailed
- Canada to issue Al-Jazeera journalist a passport
- UN urges $30 million for Palestinian refugees in Syria camp
- Syria's Assad cites 'contacts' with French intelligence
- NY Gov. Cuomo meets with top officials in Havana
- Palestinian ministers leave Gaza, cutting short rare visit
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!