2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Dog found dead, hanging on a chain off bridge in Atlanta
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead
- Ga. police to carry portable defibrillators, Naloxone
- Correction: Slaying Plot-Sentence story
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race
- SEC files charges against Atlanta investment firm
- Army sergeant sentenced in 2013 Afghan fuel bribery scheme
- GOP presidential prospect Kasich heads to Georgia, SC
- Study: Severe vision loss is most common in the South
- 3 ex-DeKalb County workers sentenced in overtime theft plot
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Suspect in killings of wealthy DC family arrested
- Obama to address anti-Semitism at Jewish congregation
- Senate expected to act on NSA collection of phone records
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Obama's Senate allies hope to endorse his trade bill Friday
- Fla. mom jailed in son's circumcision case due before judge
- Tuk-tuk taxi maker aims to make inroads in US
- Cleveland calmly awaits decisions in 3 killings by police
- Armed elderly woman engages California deputies in standoff
- IS forces capture, kill dozens in Syria's Palmyra
- South Sudan alleges Khartoum role in new rebel offensive
- Amnesty says torture of Ukraine war prisoners is rife
- Deputy Russia FM: Western Mideast policies 'short-sighted'
- Spanish opposition parties challenge new 'gag law'
- IS group seizes town in Iraq's Anbar province
- Prime minister's wife visits controversial Japanese shrine
- Cameron promises tough times for EU ahead of referendum
- Ireland votes on legalizing gay marriage; verdict Saturday
- World Bank: Gaza economy on 'verge of collapse'
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!