2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Savannah police investigating death of Columbian man
- Ga. man sentenced to life on child molestation charges
- Atlanta planning event to commemorate Selma march
- Hardman Farm, new Georgia historic site, to open next week
- Georgia Power acknowledges rising costs for Plant Vogtle
- Ga. man sentenced in death of girlfriend's younger brother
- Austell mayor proposes paying employees for working out
- Rain leads to more than 591,000 gallon Ga. wastewater spill
- Execution date set for Ga. man convicted in 1992 slaying
- Ga. consumer information possibly compromised in data breach
- Dems call GOP Homeland Security strategy a political blunder
- Wesleyan overdoses happened as school stepped up efforts
- Buffett reflects on his firm's success and strength
- Obama, Netanyahu on collision course 6 years in the making
- Man sentenced in death of boy made to hold paint buckets
- Homeland Security funding fight shows limits on GOP power
- Marathon bombing trial stays in Boston, federal panel says
- Obama signs 1-week bill to keep Homeland Security funded
- House Roll Call: Approving 1-week DHS funding bill
- House OKs bill to fund Homeland Security for 1 week
- UNICEF: Hundreds of South Sudanese boys believed abducted
- Italy's anti-immigrant movement brings protest rally to Rome
- Spanish police arrest 9 on suspicion of selling fake art
- Vatican's finance czar defends spending by his office
- Singapore founding father Lee's condition improves slightly
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe celebrates 91st birthday
- Cameroonians demonstrate against attacks by Boko Haram
- Iran official criticizes Israeli leader's 'scaremongering'
- Icelandic volcano eruption ends; threat to aviation reduced
- 3rd man suspected of helping gunman jailed in custody
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!