Tuesday: Morning cloud cover giving way to a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the low/mid 80s with a light west wind. Still a slight ... More...
2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Wilson, Woods draw contrasts at education forum
- Atlanta airport closing runway for maintenance
- Pair identified in metro Atlanta murder-suicide
- Deal, Carter duel over education at Atlanta forum
- Ebola patient in Omaha continues improving
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault
- Ex-teacher indicted in molestation case
- 2 arrested in fatal shooting over game system
- Man sent to prison in child pornography case
- Woman found shot to death in DeKalb County
- New questions over abortion coverage in health law
- Northern California wildfire burns 100 homes
- Burger King wants Hawaii needle lawsuit dismissed
- Hundreds flee 3 California wildfires; homes burn
- U.Va. chief: 'Deep concern' for missing student
- White House backs use of body cameras by police
- Students sickened, carbon monoxide leak suspected
- Cat Stevens announces 6-city US concert tour
- Boa constrictor captured after escaping Idaho cage
- Lava creeps toward lots in Big Island subdivision
- Hurricane Odile causes extensive damage to homes, hotels, businesses in Baja California
- 12 Nigerian troops sentenced to death for mutiny
- UN envoy warns Libya on brink of prolonged strife
- Sierra Leone: WHO too slow to help doc with Ebola
- Merkel: Russia must withdraw troops from Ukraine
- As many as 700 migrants killed in Mediterranean in recent days
- Pope meets with Argentine judge in Dirty War probe
- Egypt says Suez Canal expansion fully funded
- Bombings kill 8 people in Iraq
- Diplomat: UN Security Council to meet on Ebola
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!