2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Elderly Ga. woman found dead in ditch
- Deadline nears for end of 2015 Ga. legislative session
- Central Arkansas officials apply to host football bowl game
- Governor says he will sign transportation funding proposal
- Jury begins Day 8 of deliberations in school cheating trial
- Couple suspected in 1992 death to be extradited to Kansas
- Woman sent to prison for setting fire to homeless camp
- Woman added to Tennessee Top Ten Most Wanted list caught
- Witnesses say boy, 3, killed when he accidentally fires gun
- Day 8 of deliberations in Atlanta schools cheating trial
- Fervor over Portland airport carpet generates a second life
- Future of pumpkin festival in New Hampshire council's hands
- Texas bill would bar gun ownership status in medical record
- Mom of kids found in freezer faces hearing on murder charges
- New Jersey Sen. Menendez vows to fight corruption charges
- Study: Some ants have more taste for human food than others
- The latest developments on religious objections laws
- Chowchilla school bus kidnapper wins release from prison
- Student charged with sexual abuse at campus day care center
- Phoenix police officer won't face charges in fatal shooting
- S.Korean ferry victims' relatives reject compensation plan
- AP Poll: Russia anti-gay views on rise; teachers face brunt
- Afghan official: Police chief killed by roadside bomb
- Police: Gunmen attack university in eastern Kenya
- British banker's Hong Kong murder case adjourned to May
- British Prince Harry reports for duty in Australia next week
- Hugo Chavez' favorite daughter makes UN debut as US bashed
- Lacking faith in government, Mexican parents approach cartel
- Amnesty: Gambia sentences 3 to death for attempted coup
- Gay Premier urges businesses in Indiana to move to Ontario
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!