Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 43.
Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon ... More...
2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police seek 'very pregnant,' caped robbery suspect
- Defense case may begin case in FAMU hazing trial
- Defense expected to rest case in FAMU hazing trial
- Chilly weather expected across Georgia
- 4 Kansas education commissioner candidates named
- Atlanta to unveil new civil rights markers
- Georgia sex offenders to be monitored on Halloween
- Georgia agencies training to battle wildfires
- 1 killed, 2 injured in College Park shooting
- Ga. officer recovering from pepper spray accident
- Milosevic's widow ridicules EU lifting sanctions
- Memorial underway for Cleveland killer's victims
- Upstate New York home cleared of 150-plus cats
- New tropical depression forms in the Pacific
- Analysts predict economy showed strong growth in 3rd quarter
- Marine recharged in Iraq war case back in court
- Oregon, Alaska are ground zero in pot fight
- NFL seeks to dismiss ex-players' painkillers suit
- Democratic areas win more transportation grants
- Man's own dog helps police bust him on drug charge
- AP Interview: Syrian official slams Turkey's role
- Malala donates prize money to rebuild Gaza school
- UK court says Libyan can sue over rendition
- Peshmerga troops start entering Syrian border town
- German 'Autobahn sniper' sentenced to 10 1/2 years
- Brutal winter set to hit war-torn eastern Ukraine
- Jailed reporter's family asks Iran to release him
- Liberia official: 'Good progress' against Ebola
- Plans for Antarctic marine reserve falter again
- Israeli police kill suspected Palestinian shooter
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!