2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DaVita to pay $450M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- DaVita to pay $495M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- Dead body found in Atlanta trash bin
- Georgia city to remove Christian flag flying over city hall
- Phenix City boy expected to recover from shooting
- Former Ga. banker sentenced on fraud charges
- Deal signs $900 million transportation package into law
- Man crashes SUV into church, injures 3 children
- Georgia sheriff accused of shooting woman in Atlanta suburb
- Georgia man and his 3-year-old daughter die in car accident
- Boston Marathon bomber shows emotion for 1st time at trial
- Jurors see video of theater shooter asking if kids were hurt
- NYPD officer with promising career dies from gunshot wound
- Irish nanny charged in baby's death seeks release on bail
- Man who shipped guns to ex-NFLer Hernandez to be sentenced
- Chef at Santa Monica whale sushi restaurant sentenced
- Family: Teens still critical 6 weeks after resort poisoning
- Colorado lawmakers agree to limit odd proxy marriages
- Police: US couple killed in US Virgin Islands
- Trailer fire kills 3 women from family; 4 relatives escape
- Shanghai: Officials' close relatives can't run businesses
- Strong quake rocks Papua New Guinea, local tsunami possible
- Transit trains crash in Mexico City, no early injury reports
- Nigeria's military: Battling tribal militia, not civilians
- Colombia stunned by theft of Garcia Marquez's first edition
- Russia's new Armata tank makes debut in parade rehearsal
- Egypt's deposed autocrat Mubarak turns 87, waves to fans
- Israel veterans group alleges Israeli misconduct in Gaza war
- Jihadists destroy proposed world heritage site in Mali
- Canada seeks stay of bail against former Gitmo inmate
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!