2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
Eastbrook Middle School 8th grader, Brisa Mandujano, is the overall winner of the 2012 America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest hosted by the Dalton-Whitfield Solid Waste Authority’s program Target Recycling at School.
The design chosen out of 193 entries includes the phrase, “Recycle, it’s the natural thing to do” which was the theme for America Recycles Day 2011. It features a group of students passing recyclable items, like bottles and cans, to each other and placing them in a green recycling bin.
The winning design will be displayed on two billboards in the Whitfield County area for at least one month. This is the third year of the design contest open to Whitfield County middle school students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade attending either a public or private school that recycles with Target Recycling.
The billboard design contest had a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner from each grade level. The nine students, listed below, received a certificate of participation and a gift bag with America Recycles Day items and products made from recycled materials. Their entries can be seen online at www.DWSWA.org.
• 1st Place – Jessie Zambrano, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Philip Le, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Viviana Juijon, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Haley Chapman, Dalton Middle School
• 2nd Place – Karina L. Gonzales, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Jesus Hernandez, Dalton Middle School
• 1st Place – Brisa Mandujano, Eastbrook Middle School
• 2nd Place – Nicolas Perez, Dalton Middle School
• 3rd Place – Johnny Huynh, Dalton Middle School
America Recycles Day is celebrating 15 years of being a community-driven event dedicated to promoting recycling awareness, commitment, and action in the U.S. For more information on recycling, and to take the pledge to recycle visit www.AmericaRecyclesDay.org.
Target Recycling at School provides recycling collection services and environmental education opportunities to schools in Whitfield County. For more information call 706-278-5001 or visit www.dwswa.org and click on ‘recycling’.
Photo: Brisa Mandujano, an 8th grader from Eastbrook Middle School, is the winner of this year’s America Recycles Day Billboard Design Contest. Pictured is a mockup of the artwork that will be featured on two billboards in Whitfield County.2012 Billboard Design Contest Winner Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot to death in Hyatt Place hotel outside Atlanta
- Bobby Brown's sister vows family feud is just beginning
- William S. Morris IV named CEO of Morris Communications Co.
- Confederate flag support rally held at Stone Mountain Park
- The Latest: Memorial service for Bobbi Kristina Brown ends
- The Latest: Controversy erupts at service for Bobbi Kristina
- Standing desks starting to catch on at Robins Air Force Base
- The Latest: Mourners arrive for funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Coast Guard rescues 2 women off the coast of Georgia
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot worth $222,949.83
- Judge, 93, peeved by incomplete housing discrimination case
- No indications of potential gang violence at 75th Sturgis
- Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate flag
- Police: Gunfire at Brooklyn backyard party injures 9
- Schumer calls for upgrades in stretch limo standards
- The Nation's Weather
- Photos of endangered animals shine on Empire State Building
- Woman gets probation in boyfriend's death by neglect
- Dr. Dre announces release of first album in 15 years
- NYC health official expects more Legionnaires' disease cases
- Myanmar's president visits area worst-hit by flooding
- Zimbabwe alleges 2nd American involved in illegal lion hunt
- Iran cuts welfare rolls to ease budget crunch
- Russian police detain several gay activists
- Russian forces kill 8 suspected IS members in North Caucasus
- Rebels in eastern Ukraine say radioactive waste cache safe
- Rome-Milan train service back after storm pummels Florence
- UAE prosecutor refers 41 people to trial on terror charges
- Malaysia seeks help to expand search for MH370 debris
- Saudi citizen killed by incoming fire from neighboring Yemen
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!