Sunday Night: Cloudy and muggy with scattered showers and t-storms. A few storms could be severe during the night and through early Monday. Main threats are large hail and damaging straight-line winds. An overnight low in the low 70s.
Monday: A mix of sun and clouds ... More...
27 Teachers Awarded $96,000 in Grants
The Public Education Foundation (PEF) today awarded fellowship grants totaling $96,630 to twenty-seven Hamilton County educators –– to pursue self-designed learning adventures this summer. The fellowships are made possible through a grant to PEF from the national nonprofit organization, Fund for Teachers.The winning teachers responded to PEF’s invitation to propose their ideal professional development experience and explain how this would inspire authentic learning in their classrooms. Among the exciting and innovative proposals:
Lora Jenkins and Lonna Henriquez, Tyner Middle School Academy, will conduct biodiversity and conservation research in Costa Rica for a documentary and curriculum materials to be used in a school-wide unit.
Brian Fahey, Normal Park Museum Magnet School, will travel the Netherlands and France to explore how cultural, economic and political needs affected human/environmental interaction throughout history.
Katie Hawkins, Brown Middle School, and Rachel Price, Red Bank Middle School, will attend the Reading and Writing Summer Institute at Columbia University and meet with young adult author Lois Lowery to discuss the craft of writing for young adults.
Stacy Williams, East Brainerd Elementary School, and Rita Schubert, East Ridge Elementary School, will attend a creativity workshop in Barcelona and a brain-based workshop in Texas to acquire strategies to ignite creativity in students from poverty.
Susan Morrison, East Hamilton Middle/High School, will venture to Cambodia to meet survivors of the Khmer Rouge and discover the potential for grass roots activism in 3rd world economies.
These teachers and 19 others from Hamilton County will join 450 peers from around the country to whom Fund for Teachers awarded $1.8 million in teacher grants for 2012 summer exploration and learning. This is the first year that Hamilton County educators were eligible for these fellowships, made possible through PEF’s new partnership with Fund for Teachers.
“This has been a rewarding and rigorous process to select these 27 teachers from the 83 who applied. Almost all had compelling ideas and proposals,” explained Dan Challener, PEF President. An independent Selection Committee of educators and community leaders made the final choice on the basis of the creativity of ideas, the thoroughness of research, and the passion expressed for teaching. “Returning from their fellowships, these teachers will deepen the knowledge of their students thanks to the insights and experiences they gained from these grants,” continued Challener.
Fund for Teachers enriches the personal and professional growth of teachers by recognizing and supporting them as they identify and pursue opportunities around the world that impact their practice, their students and their schools.
For more information, visit www.fundforteachers.org and www.facebook.com/fundforteachers.
Public Education Foundation partners with Hamilton County Schools to help students succeed by offering professional training and coaching for teachers, principals and administrators; human and financial resources to promote research-based innovation; and research that promotes continuous achievement. Since 2000, PEF has helped to bring over $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system. For the full list of Fund for Teacher awards, please visit pefchattanooga.org/fundforteachers27 Teachers Awarded $96,000 in Grants
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Kingston's Senate loses means less clout for Ga.
- Unpaid GA court fines to be drawn from tax returns
- 2 injured in western Georgia small plane crash
- Teen identified in Chattahoochee River drowning
- Airport opens application site for screenings
- Savannah police searching for suspect in robbery
- Ga. police start enforcing 'slowpoke' driving law
- 1 killed in Rabun County plane crash
- Cobb judge Oks $397M in bonds for Braves stadium
- Ex-secretary for Douglas prosecutor indicted
- Jury deliberations to continue in Ventura case
- Shave ice vendor defies town's new ban on peddlers
- Man dies after lightning strike affects 14
- Rock beats paper: Study says fist bumps spread fewer bacteria than handshakes or high-fives
- Not in my backyard: US sending dirty coal abroad
- Police interviewing 2 in connection with Philadelphia carjacking
- Kevin Bacon brings his 'Six Degrees' to Comic-Con
- Police interview 2 in deadly Philly carjacking
- 1 dead after lightning strikes 14 in Southern California
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- German environmentalists say U.S. is shifting its pollution elsewhere
- Girls killed, hurt in attack in Thailand's south
- Police in China remove church's cross
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans infected
- Venezuela says Aruba to free diplomat sought by US
- Israel acknowledges mortar shell hit UN school
- Islamic militants destroy historic mosque in Mosul
- Key World War I battle re-enacted in Poland
- EU, US seek Putin Achilles' heel on Ukraine
- Suspected al-Qaida attack kills 2 troops in Yemen
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!