Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia native among 6 service members killed in Afghanistan
- Trooper fired for driving fast in crash that killed 2 teens
- Georgia man among 6 airmen killed in Afghanistan
- DA: Officer charged for fatally striking pedestrian with car
- CAU holds 95th anniversary for school of social work
- The Latest: Joaquin starts to move away from Bahamas
- Trooper fired
- Former deputy admits to child molestation charges, sentenced
- Convicted killer accidentally released caught in Atlanta
- Forecast for up to 5 inches of rain fuels flood concerns
- 'Natural' cigarette maker subject of class-action lawsuit
- FDNY: 12 injured when bus crashes into Queens home
- FDNY: 1 dead, 3 others injured in apparent gas blast
- Biden: No question transgender people can serve in military
- The Latest: Hurricane Joaquin moving toward Bermuda
- Official: 25 hurt in collapse of concrete awning at school
- Water filter distribution starts for residents in Flint
- Authorities investigate freeway shooting in Phoenix suburb
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following Oregon shootings
- NY woman accused in Ohio of contaminating son's feeding tube
- Jordanian MP says son joined IS, carried out suicide attack
- Typhoon heads for south China; tens of thousands evacuated
- The Latest: Obama demands details on Afghan clinic airstrike
- Emirates vote for federal council sees 35-percent turnout
- The Latest: UN chief condemns deadly Kunduz hospital bombing
- The Latest: US military promises inquiry of Kunduz bombing
- The Latest: US defense chief promises Kunduz investigation
- The Latest: Confusion over bombing of Afghanistan hospital
- The Latest: Eritrea declares `remarkable progress' on rights
- Smaller-weapons pullback begins in Ukraine
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!