Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tybee Island seeks grant to survey historic properties
- Employee charged with stealing gifts during Macon weddings
- Augusta man gets life sentence for molesting 6-year-old girl
- Metro Atlanta man shot dead after responding to pit bull ad
- Georgia man convicted in 2012 slaying of 9-year-old neighbor
- Retired Emory law professor gives $1 million to law school
- Ga. animal welfare group hosting watch party, adoption event
- Ga. law enforcement watching for drunk game day drivers
- Ex-APS official says district ordered documents destroyed
- 2 loaded guns, 2 inert grenades recovered at Atlanta airport
- Crash on interstate caused by trucker pulling his tooth
- Brother of man in no fly list suit put on terrorist list
- Texas students forced to drop pants after feces found in gym
- Indiana city parking meters besieged with crow droppings
- Prosecutors to speak about dropping case against Detroit cop
- Ohio State expects $3M royalties bump after championship win
- Obama proposes precision medicine to end 'one size fits all'
- Cold-stunned turtles rehabilitated in New Orleans, released
- Judge to hear arguments on constitutionality of no fly list
- What red ink? As deficits dip, all sides seek more spending
- German World War II panzer ace Otto Carius dies at 92
- France pledges tanks, armored vehicles to NATO force
- American shot and injured in Saudi Arabia
- Report: 6 dead after illegal migrant boat sinks off Morocco
- Artillery fire kills at least 12 civilians in Donetsk
- Report: woman attacks police in Istanbul with automatic fire
- NATO units set for Baltics, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria
- Activists: Syrian rebels blow up tunnel under army post
- Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe new African Union chairman
- Italy tries anew to elect president amid political wrangling
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!