Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low in the upper 30s.
Cooler ... More...
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- Ga. authorities cracking down on driver safety for holidays
- Ga. lane closures halted for holiday travel period
- Tornado warning issued in central Georgia
- Boy dies after being hit by car in Alabama
- 12-year-old boy fatally shot in Savannah
- Forecasters warn of heavy rain, damaging wind in Georgia
- Murder charges added in KC shootings that killed 5
- Indiana high school honors Hill for cancer fight
- Uncertainty fuels speculation on Ferguson decision
- Judge to rule on 1979 missing boy case confession
- US judge to sentence reputed drug-lord lieutenant
- First lady attends Princeton women's hoops game
- Baby girl accidentally shot in New York City home
- Kassig recalled as man who sought to help others
- Joey Chestnut devours turkey to win eating contest
- Former DC Mayor Marion Barry dies at 78
- Israel minister: new law could break up government
- Italian doctor with Ebola returning for treatment
- 2nd Czech government minister targeted with poison
- US general: troops staying in Baltics through 2015
- Portuguese ex-premier quizzed again in fraud case
- UK outlines new counterterrorism measures
- Floods kill at least 17 in southern Morocco
- China holds out hope for Iran nuclear deal
- China defends land reclamation in South China Sea
- NATO says 2 service members killed in Afghanistan
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!