Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- 'Dr. Phil': To air 'intervention with Bobbi Brown's partner
- Report: Suicides by girls and young women continue to climb
- Ga. Senate passes controversial 'religious freedom' bill
- 3 indicted for stealing restitution money from Ga. agency
- Ga. girl charged in fatal crash that killed 3
- Passengers: Plane slid the moment it landed at LaGuardia
- Jury convicts mom of capital murder in daughter's 2007 death
- Passenger: Evacuation of plane was orderly
- Passenger: Wing of plane that skidded off runway got torn up
- Police: Federal judge shot during robbery attempt in Detroit
- Another solid month of job gains over 200K expected for Feb.
- More want local beef, but fewer want tough job of cutting it
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ends
- Chain of kidney transplants begins at San Francisco hospital
- Officials: Truck driver fell asleep in fatal collision
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ongoing
- Protesters at Nevada air base call for end to drone warfare
- Ga. Senate OK's religious freedom bill feared by LGBT groups
- 1 entrance to UC Santa Cruz opens; student protest ongoing
- Head of UN Women: No country has reached gender equality
- Knife attack in China train station leaves 9 injured
- Mexico: Troops kill 4 in gunbattle near border with Texas
- Suspended Supreme Court judge in Panama sentenced to prison
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 33
- Syria says it killed military leader of al-Qaida group
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 32
- Boko Haram refugees risk lives to cross lake to Chad camps
- Envelopes with white powder found at Canadian offices
- Kerry seeks to ease Arab concerns over Iran deal
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!