Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Scientists study how rising seas will reshape Georgia coast
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years
- 3 men sentenced to prison in anti-government militia plot
- Police investigate murder-suicide of parents in Georgia
- University of Texas removes Jefferson Davis statue
- Cops: Maine driver cited after selfie leads to injuries
- Police investigate motive in ambush of Houston area deputy
- Global warming carving changes into Alaska in fire and ice
- Slow-moving school finance case heads to Texas Supreme Court
- Man to be sentenced in suicide bomb plot at Kansas airport
- Surfer uninjured after shark bites her board off California
- Vote tally for Iran nuclear deal rises to 31 in Senate
- South Sudan rebels: Clashes continue after cease-fire
- US businessman arrested in Sierra Leone 'blood diamond' case
- Iran sentences 2 people to jail for spying for US, Israel
- Nigerian official: Boko Haram is trying to hit Lagos
- Pope: Let's stop crimes like deaths of migrants in trucks
- Pakistan officials: US envoy discusses Afghan peace efforts
- Plane crashes at Austrian air show, fatally injuring pilot
- Eni says it's found 'supergiant' natural gas field off Egypt
- Mortar round hits posh area of Syria's capital, child killed
- Video shows Palestinian women, Israeli soldier scuffling
- Romanian govt examines video of man kidnapped in Africa
- Hungary detains 5th suspect in truck deaths of 71 in Austria
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!