Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 1 person killed, others hurt in crash at Ga courthouse
- Scarlett O'Hara outfit could fetch $100,000 at auction
- Georgia school district hopes to implement free meal program
- Georgia school district implements new free meal program
- Animal shelter rescues baby chicks from Georgia post office
- State panel to discuss prevention of infant 'co-sleeping'
- Tybee Island prepares for 'Orange Crush' partygoers
- Jury indicts 3 in killing of Univ. of Georgia student
- Ga. city rejects $90 million water park resort proposal
- Carter Center to observe Guyanese election
- Judge OKs bail for 2 accused of supporting Islamic State
- Gas-line blast closes major highway, injures at least 11
- 2 convicted of desecrating Illinois cemetery get prison time
- Man pleads not guilty in killing of missing girlfriend
- Storm diverts Oklahoma-bound Seattle elephants to San Diego
- The Latest: White House hopefuls gather in New Hampshire
- 2nd arrests made in fatal shooting of university student
- Ex-police commander accused of torture decries reparations
- Investigators say identity-theft suspect had 74 aliases
- Gas-line blast closes major highway, injures at least 15
- Colombia's president wants rebels to set deadline for peace
- Iran urges UN to try to end Saudi-led bombing in Yemen
- Canada charges 4 British Navy sailors with sex assault
- UN weather agency scratches 'Isis' from storm name list
- At least 40 dead in Baghdad bombings
- Germany flies over 100 people from Yemen to Djibouti
- Migrants burned in Libyan gas explosion arrive in Italy
- Al-Qaida in Yemen takes massive weapons depot from army
- Some Ugandan Muslims retreat in fear amid police hunt
- Bosnians hope to break world record for biggest chicken stew
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!