Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. Frost possible, especially in areas away from the city. An overnight low in the mid 30s (below freezing in spots away from the city and north)
Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with ... More...
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-Ga. sheriff's deputy convicted of battery
- Deal signs medical school scholarship regulation
- GA insurance commissioner releases enrollment data
- 2 charged in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father
- Thousands using new Ga. online voter registration
- US transportation secretary visits Atlanta
- No injuries reported from building's falling glass
- FEMA chief to address US hurricane conference
- Up to 100 students hit by blast of pepper spray
- Moniz raised MOX alternatives with Russia
- Number of missing in Washington mudslide drops
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 14 injured
- Fire truck rams California eatery; 14 injured
- Troopers issue report on fatal Fla. day care crash
- 3 school staffers on leave in Vegas cheating probe
- Experts say video doesn't show Earhart wreckage
- Indiana faces deadline on new education standards
- Did a German shepherd get called to jury duty?
- John Edwards returns to court practicing law
- Lawyers in 9/11 at Gitmo case seek to question FBI
- uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
- Nigerian military: 100+ kidnapped students free
- Nigerian military: 121 kidnapped students free
- 6 confirmed dead, many more missing
- Mexico probes death of pregnant woman at clinic
- US: Russia facing diplomacy or new sanctions
- Inmates rock Peru prison with 'Superstar
- Mexico nabs No. 2 in Beltran Leyva gang
- Bosnians see families excavated from mass grave
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!