Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Reed seeks to have former fire chief's lawsuit dismissed
- Georgia religious freedom bill stalls in House committee
- Georgia House and Senate announce deal on autism bill
- Police arrest man in killing of man at Atlanta supermarket
- Police say major meth operation discovered in Atlanta
- Cancer hospital company fails to get OK to expand in Georgia
- Georgia Senate passes controversial ride sharing legislation
- Ga. police chief, assistant chief charged with stealing
- Family of man killed by Smyrna police want independent probe
- Toddler found dead in Lake Sinclair after search
- Video shows 'hospitality ambassador' beating homeless man
- Victim's mom to confront man with bodies in yard
- New York fire, building collapse injure 19; gas blast blamed
- Deputy police chief in California arrested on drug charges
- School board: Disabled student can use faculty restroom
- No murder charge for woman accused of cutting baby from womb
- Judge in Texas blocks federal rules change for gay couples
- Jesse Jackson Jr. leaves federal prison for halfway house
- San Francisco Chronicle heir, board member Nan McEvoy dies
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Agency: 4,000 fishermen stranded on some Indonesian islands
- Bomb hits police bus in southern Pakistan, wounding 10
- Singapore urges restraint as Lee mourners queue for 10 hours
- Chinese NGO considering legal action over police raid
- North Korea says it has detained 2 South Koreans for spying
- Gulf states ask UN Security Council for Yemen arms embargo
- Vatican sending diplomat to Obama summit with Latin America
- UK prime minister, opposition leader in live TV interviews
- Lawyer: Fugitive Colombian millionaire arrested in Spain
- Co-pilot's apartment, parents' home searched
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!