Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chancellor-elect Dr. Steven Angle and Interim Chancellor Dr. Grady Bogue announce the appointment of Dr. Jerald Ainsworth as Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the campus. Ainsworth currently serves UTC as a Dean of the Graduate School.
Ainsworth will assume his new responsibilities beginning June 1. He will work with Interim Provost Mary Tanner on a transition plan for Graduate School leadership.
“Dr. Ainsworth has an impressive record of outstanding teaching, administrative leadership, and scholarly research to bring to the provost’s role,” said Angle. “As a relative newcomer to UTC, he has the unique opportunity to bring both a new and a familiar perspective to the campus leadership team. I very much look forward to working with him.”
Ainsworth joined UTC in 2010 as dean and holds a tenured faculty appointment in the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences.
During his tenure as dean of the UTC Graduate School, Ainsworth has been successful in modifying and developing policies for continuous improvement in graduate program quality and operations.
Prior to coming to UTC, Ainsworth served as Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Southeastern Louisiana University.
“Dr. Ainsworth certainly distinguished himself from a very strong pool of candidates, and four especially outstanding finalists who visited campus,” said Angle. “Dr. Bogue and I want to thank the search committee for doing a tremendous job on a short timeline. And we also want to acknowledge the faculty, staff, students, alumni, foundation board, and community members who participated in the interview process. Their feedback and input was invaluable in the selection of Dr. Ainsworth.”
Ainsworth received a B.S. in biophysics from Delta State University and a M.S. in immunopathology and Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He also completed a NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Department of Medicine.
Prior to joining Southeastern Louisiana University, he held various positions at Mississippi State University, including Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and head of the Department of Basic Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Ainsworth has published extensively and has served as a manuscript reviewer for publications such as the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health, the Journal of Fish Biology, the Journal of Wildlife Diseases, and the American Journal of Veterinary Research. He received the SmithKline Beecham Award for Research Excellence in 1990 and 1992.
Ainsworth Named UTC Provost
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- College Football Hall of Fame opens in Atlanta
- UGA to tear down aging structures around the state
- Barrow, Allen both target Obama in early TV ads
- Report: Costs for ethics agency suit to increase
- Valdosta speed limit to increase to 70mph on I-75
- Moody AFB to train Afghan pilots on light plane
- Former Ala. band director arrested on sex charges
- FBI director: Counterterrorism is top mission
- Weather service confirms tornado in Gilmer County
- CDC director to visit Ebola outbreak countries
- Crutches might have caused Ferris wheel cab to tip
- Trial gets juicier with ex-Va governor's testimony
- Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death
- Mayor: Jackie Robinson West 'pride of Chicago'
- Texas marijuana farm a rare find near border
- Chicago's Pullman site could become national park
- Streets of Ferguson stay calm after violent nights
- Wash. flash flooding damages estimated 10 homes
- St. Louis officer suspended after video comments
- Pink Martini band member Rieth found dead
- China says 8 convicted terrorists executed in west
- Sweden: Protesters injured by mounted police
- Quakes surge around Iceland volcano; no eruption
- Migrant boat carrying 250 capsizes off Libya
- Sierra Leone makes hiding Ebola patients illegal
- Egypt calls for open-ended Gaza cease-fire
- Iraq investigating Sunni mosque attack
- Philippines to pull out of Golan Heights, Liberia
- India police re-arrest fasting activist
- Argentina Grandmothers ID 115th 'dirty war' child
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!