Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Event set to honor Declaration of Independence signers
- Security heightened for Fourth of July events, travel
- Flash flood warnings issued in north Georgia
- Feds to retain oversight of Ga. behavioral health system
- Zoo Atlanta acquires bald eagle from Auburn Raptor Center
- Second teen charged in Georgia Wal-Mart rampage
- Effort to remove GA prosecutor from jail death case blocked
- No injuries reported in Savannah truck explosion
- Man shot to death in southwest Atlanta nightclub identified
- 140 pairs of underwear stolen from store hit by 4 bra heists
- Judge to hear request to halt ocean blasting research plan
- Officials lift evacuation after Tennessee train derailment
- The Latest: Police seek owner of backpack carried by escapee
- Baltimore police probe transport van sign
- Solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
- The Latest: No services planned for slain prison escapee
- Woman known for trying to sneak on planes released from jail
- Dalai Lama celebrates 80th birthday with California summit
- Denver campaign would allow marijuana use in bars
- International court postpones Congo militiaman's trial
- Poland advises its citizens against travel to Egypt
- Mixed reaction to scrapping of anti-gay law in Mozambique
- Rocket fired from Sinai hits southern Israel, no one hurt
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to make first US visit
- 5 additional bodies found; death toll now at least 50
- Court rejects bid by victims' kin to clear Lockerbie bomber
- UN rights body backs call for accountability in Gaza war
- Slovak agency: Russian spies increase activities in EU, NATO
- China says 6 killed, thousands of buildings collapse in mag-6.5 quake in far western region
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!