Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DaVita to pay $450M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- DaVita to pay $495M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- Dead body found in Atlanta trash bin
- Georgia city to remove Christian flag flying over city hall
- Phenix City boy expected to recover from shooting
- Former Ga. banker sentenced on fraud charges
- Deal signs $900 million transportation package into law
- Man crashes SUV into church, injures 3 children
- Georgia sheriff accused of shooting woman in Atlanta suburb
- Georgia man and his 3-year-old daughter die in car accident
- Boston Marathon bomber shows emotion for 1st time at trial
- Jurors see video of theater shooter asking if kids were hurt
- NYPD officer with promising career dies from gunshot wound
- Irish nanny charged in baby's death seeks release on bail
- Man who shipped guns to ex-NFLer Hernandez to be sentenced
- Chef at Santa Monica whale sushi restaurant sentenced
- Family: Teens still critical 6 weeks after resort poisoning
- Colorado lawmakers agree to limit odd proxy marriages
- Police: US couple killed in US Virgin Islands
- Trailer fire kills 3 women from family; 4 relatives escape
- Shanghai: Officials' close relatives can't run businesses
- Strong quake rocks Papua New Guinea, local tsunami possible
- Transit trains crash in Mexico City, no early injury reports
- Nigeria's military: Battling tribal militia, not civilians
- Colombia stunned by theft of Garcia Marquez's first edition
- Russia's new Armata tank makes debut in parade rehearsal
- Egypt's deposed autocrat Mubarak turns 87, waves to fans
- Israel veterans group alleges Israeli misconduct in Gaza war
- Jihadists destroy proposed world heritage site in Mali
- Canada seeks stay of bail against former Gitmo inmate
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!