Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia sheriff expects 'rapid' probe over racist graffiti
- More mosquitoes test positive for West Nile virus in DeKalb
- Seattle-based frozen seafood producer opens Georgia plant
- Ga. DOT to pause interstate construction for holiday weekend
- Explosion investigated at burning Marietta apartment complex
- Fred is easternmost hurricane to form in tropics of Atlantic
- Conviction keeps Albany ex-commissioner out of mayor's race
- Girl, 12, seriously hurt after being struck by car in Athens
- Georgia lawmaker says he had account on cheating website
- Explosion reported at burning Marietta apartment complex
- AM Prep-Kickers
- AM Prep-Scores and Skeds
- Storm hits Phoenix -- flash floods, slowed air travel
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence
- Black Lives Matter movement experiencing growing pains
- AM Prep-The List: Box Office
- Obama paints doomsday scene of global warming in Alaska
- AM Prep-Cyber Corner
- AM Prep-Cooler Copy
- AM Prep-Segue
- Press group urges Philippines to stop attacks on journalists
- The Latest: Women, children fleeing through Macedonia triple
- The Latest: More than 1,000 people rescued off Greek islands
- Somali militants overrun base for African Union forces
- Hungary shuts down rail traffic for westward-bound migrants
- Monsoon floods swamp northeast Indian villages, 21 dead
- In Ukraine, 141 still hospitalized after violent protests
- Police search premises of Turkish opposition business group
- Taiwan swipe card with porn star image sells out in 4 hours
- Singapore's ruling party in unprecedented electoral contest
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!