Tonight: A few clouds with an overnight low in the mid 30s
Saturday: Increasing clouds and a little warmer with an afternoon high in the ... More...
Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award
The partnership between the Baylor School and Girls Inc.'s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School was awarded the prestigious 2012 Corporate & Private Program Volunteer Award by the National Girls Inc. organization at a regional conference held in November. The award is for volunteer work by Baylor students from November 2011 – November 2012.
For seventeen years, female Baylor School students have been volunteering at Girls Inc.’s afterschool program at Hardy Elementary School providing homework help and academic enrichment. Twenty-one Baylor students volunteered a total of 3,266 hours at the Girls Inc. program during the 2011-2012 school year. In addition to critical academic assistance, the Baylor students also planned and raised money for a holiday party including food, games and gifts for the girls.
The award was presented to Girls Inc. of Chattanooga staff during Girls Inc.’s Region IV conference. The beautiful plaque will be presented by Girls Inc. participants in the afterschool program to several of the Baylor School volunteers at the Girls Inc. of Chattanooga office on Tuesday, December 11. Among those in attendance will be Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson, Joli Anderson, Director of Community Service for Baylor, Barbara Kennedy, Director of External Affairs for Baylor and Bea Lurie, President and CEO of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga.
“The dedication of the Baylor students in the community service program led by Joli Anderson is extraordinary. They inspire the Girls Inc. girls to excel in their homework and in academic enrichment activities," said Bea Lurie, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga’s President & CEO. “The Baylor students form very close mentorship relationships with the girls that have had a huge impact on their lives. And, the Baylor students also benefit from the partnership.”
“Baylor is truly grateful for our partnership with Girls Inc., a partnership that is now seventeen years and counting. We are honored that such a wonderful organization would think of recognizing our humble contributions to the fulfillment of their mission: inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold. We are proud supporters of their mission and efforts,” said Baylor Headmaster Scott Wilson.Baylor School Students Win Prestigious Girls Inc. Regional Award Friday, December 7 2012, 10:21 AM EST
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspicious package near CDC snarls traffic
- Ex-Gov. Perdue defends "Go Fish" center in Perry
- Ethics complaint dropped against Cobb Co. chairman
- Ga. considers funding for $1B in transportation needs
- Burglars fail in attempt to smash into computer store
- New leader chosen for Atlanta economic development agency
- Samford professor honored by national educators' group
- Emory, Ga. Tech to build joint library service center
- Deliberations to continue in case of slain Ga. preacher
- Woman hit by truck, dragged in Johns Creek
- Police identify 3 kids shot in New Jersey home
- Obama to visit India in January for Republic Day
- Ex-convict charged in Indianapolis teen's death
- 3 face hearing in slaying of French street artist
- Los Angeles-area storm triggers foothill mudslides
- Man walks free after judge dismisses 1975 case
- Package from Florida State shooter found in Texas
- Mom who drove van of kids charged again in chase
- Executives brave frigid Detroit night for charity
- Storm triggers foothill mudslides
- Zimbabwe: 11 die in stampede at religious service
- Yemen minister gives award to persecuted Jews
- Pope keeps leaders in place for next family synod
- Yemen ends mutiny inside elite paramilitary unit
- Merkel: Palestinian recognition not right path
- 4 IRA suspects arrested after Belfast gun seized
- Biden calls on Russia to uphold east Ukraine truce
- Pakistan says Indian fire kills a soldier
- Spain prosecutors take case against Catalan leader
- French minister quits over financial crimes probe
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!