Tuesday: Sunny with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s. A northeast wind at 10mph.
Tuesday Night: Clear and cool with an overnight ... More...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspect in Atlanta-area shooting arrested in Miami
- Teen stabbed to death in downtown Atlanta park
- Senator: Drop nomination of controversial judge
- Body of man who fell from lake dock found
- Lawyer: Mom in hot car death case passed polygraph
- Man gets 5 years for restroom recordings in Cobb
- Districts in Orlando, Atlanta split school prize
- Police investigating Ga. shooting arrest Wisc. man
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Developer seeks rezoning for Norcross move studio
- Accused White House intruder armed in July arrest
- Tensions high as ambush suspect evades capture
- Afghan president-elect seeks favor in Washington
- Marathon suspect's friend due in court for hearing
- Conservative scholar faces sentencing
- Bin Laden spokesman faces possible life term
- AP Exclusive: Brazil says no to forest-saving plan
- Normal traffic resumes on highway hit by slide
- Abbas: Will demand UN resolution to end occupation
- Pentagon: U.S. and Arab partners launch airstrikes in Syria
- WHO: 21,000 Ebola cases by November if no changes
- Lawyer: Uighur scholar in China gets life sentence
- Guatemala emergency measures after deadly clash
- Islamist group kidnaps Frenchman in Algeria
- Lights still out in Los Cabos; death toll now 5
- UN members endorse Indigenous Peoples rights
- Syrian opposition chief urges airstrikes in Syria
- Kidnappers say they'll kill Frenchman unless France ends airstrikes
- Israel court condemns African migrant detentions
- Argentina tries doctors for Dirty War baby thefts
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!