Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Northwest 10-15 mph.
Tonight: Clear skies with a low in the mid 40s. North wind 5-10.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with ... More...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Prosecutors meet to discuss gun violence
- 2 arrested in fatal Coweta County shooting
- NTSB: Pilot errors, lack of sleep led to crash
- Homeland Security orders new screening for Ebola
- Ebola causing spike in demand for hospital gear
- Man killed when tractor overturns in pond
- Ga man charged in wife's death on Ala highway
- Witnesses recall how plane crashed in Gainesville
- Officer fires at car after pedestrians struck
- Jury to resume deliberations in county CEO trial
- Freed Vietnamese dissident travels to US: official
- Reputed ex-mob boss summoned for violation hearing
- Obama pitches for votes on black radio
- Hernandez on track for May trial in double killing
- Connecticut governor: I kept my vow not to cut aid
- Holmes interviewed for 22 hours for sanity exam
- Nixon creating group to address Ferguson issues
- Zoo boosts security after Tasmanian devil's death
- Texas man admits setting 1986 fire, killing 2 boys
- Jury to decide if Tsarnaev friend was liar or high
- Ancient Greek well yields rare wooden statue
- Submarine hunt exposes Swedish readiness gap
- IAPA: press freedom deteriorating in the Americas
- Police find dead infants in Winnipeg locker
- Oil CEO in sad toll of famed plane crash victims
- Anti-government cleric ends protest in Islamabad
- Police in Macedonia arrest 9 in helicopter scam
- Activists, militants: Islamic State group fighters seize weapons airdrop meant for Kurds
- British man guilty in hammer attack on UAE women
- UK eavesdropping agency head defends work
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!