NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- 'Dr. Phil': To air 'intervention with Bobbi Brown's partner
- Report: Suicides by girls and young women continue to climb
- Ga. Senate passes controversial 'religious freedom' bill
- 3 indicted for stealing restitution money from Ga. agency
- Ga. girl charged in fatal crash that killed 3
- Passengers: Plane slid the moment it landed at LaGuardia
- Jury convicts mom of capital murder in daughter's 2007 death
- Passenger: Evacuation of plane was orderly
- Passenger: Wing of plane that skidded off runway got torn up
- Colorful 'body sculptor' due back in murder trial
- NASA's Dawn spacecraft moves in on dwarf planet Ceres
- Police: Federal judge shot during robbery attempt in Detroit
- Another solid month of job gains over 200K expected for Feb.
- More want local beef, but fewer want tough job of cutting it
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ends
- Chain of kidney transplants begins at San Francisco hospital
- Officials: Truck driver fell asleep in fatal collision
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ongoing
- Protesters at Nevada air base call for end to drone warfare
- Accused rapist dragged from prison and killed by Indian mob
- Head of UN Women: No country has reached gender equality
- Knife attack in China train station leaves 9 injured
- Mexico: Troops kill 4 in gunbattle near border with Texas
- Suspended Supreme Court judge in Panama sentenced to prison
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 33
- Syria says it killed military leader of al-Qaida group
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 32
- Boko Haram refugees risk lives to cross lake to Chad camps
- Envelopes with white powder found at Canadian offices
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!