Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. An isolated shower over the Blue Ridge Mtns. A southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Saturday Night: A few clouds and muggy with an overnight low in the low 70s.
Sunday: ... More...
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A
federal appeals court has ruled a Knoxville fourth-grader's rights were
not violated in a dispute over a Bible study group that met during
The parents of Luke Whitson sued the Knox County
Board of Education in 2005 because they believed their child's principal
had banned the group.
Although the principal seems to have
made some confusing statements, once the controversy became the subject
of news stories, the school board issued a statement. It said that
recess is intended to provide students with physical activity and that a
daily sedentary activity like Bible study undermined that goal.
media interviews, school officials said children were welcome to read
their Bibles during free time, such as before and after school.
The parents appealed after losing a 2009 jury trial.Bible Ruling
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Hundreds of demonstrators rally in Atlanta over war in Gaza
- Dueling ethics complaints filed in Ga. gov race
- Judge approves bonds to finance new Braves stadium
- Dozens in Atlanta rally on either side of Gaza war
- Ex-secretary in Douglas Co. DA's office indicted
- Hundreds see James Brown film premiere in Augusta
- Gunman robs Athens sex shop, assaults customer
- Airport plan prompts pollution, noise concerns
- Ethics complaint filed over New York fundraiser
- Jury convicts man of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Official: Hospital gunman intended to kill others
- Police hunt for 2 who carjacked SUV, killed 3 kids
- No truce, but 12-hour lull in Gaza fighting begins
- California to have 4 governors in 4 days next week
- Arizona's McCain: Execution was torture
- Defense Department employee gets 2 years in prison
- Police still investigating after burglar killed
- 86 family members disenrolled from Oregon tribe
- Colorado gun law relies on flawed estimate
- Judge rules feds wrongly protecting bearded seals
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce efforts stall
- War crimes commission takes aim at Islamic State
- Ukrainian president: Confidence vote Thursday
- Russia: McDonald's food has 'too many calories'
- Nigeria confirms first Ebola death
- French investigators head to Mali crash site
- Venezuela official seeks immunity in Aruba ruling
- Afghan Taliban leader warns against pact with US
- US fighter jets escort plane back to Toronto
- Hezbollah leader vows to support Gazans
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!