Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
Brookwood Teacher Selected for Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy
While Meghan Sullivan’s students are off this summer enjoying some time away from school, she will be in the classroom learning how to better equip her students. Sutton is one of 150 highly qualified third through fifth grade teachers from around the country who has been selected to attend the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
Sullivan teaches fifth grade at Brookwood and was nominated to complete the application by her principal, Dr. Celeste Martin. Over 1,100 teachers nationwide applied to participate in the program this year.
“I am honored that one of Brookwood’s teachers was selected for this prestigious invitation,” said Dr. Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “The selection process was nationwide and very competitive. Having teachers like Mrs. Sullivan willing to increase her knowledge in the fields of math and science adds tremendous value to the work we are doing with STEM in our school.”
“I heard about the Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy on television and through Dr. Martin,” Sullivan said. “It’s very exciting to be selected to participate this summer. I’m looking forward to learning more about math and science integration in the classroom, and working with the field experts from the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions. It’s also a great opportunity to network with my peers from across the country that are doing STEM-related work in the classroom. I know I’ll gain a lot of good information that I can use in my classroom as well as share with my fellow teachers at Brookwood.”
The academy, held at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, New Jersey, strengthens teachers’ skills in teaching STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) areas. A panel of educators from the National Council of the Teachers of Mathematics and the National Science Teachers Association selected the participants from the applications submitted. Teachers were chosen based on their qualifications, dedication to inspiring students at an early age, and overall commitment to enhancing the teaching profession.
"Through innovative learning techniques, the Academy equips teachers with the tools and strategies to increase their students' interest and excitement about math and science, helping to develop future scientists and engineers," said Suzanne McCarron, Exxon Mobil Corporation's general manager of public and government affairs
Celebrating its 10th year of providing math and science education through professional development for teachers, the Mickelson ExxonMobile Teachers Academy is the collaboration of PGA Golfer Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy, and the ExxonMobil Corporation. ExxonMobile supports initiatives that encourage students to take an active interest in math and science careers, support the professional development of highly qualified teachers, and promote involvement by women and minority students. More than 4,100 teachers have been trained at the Academy, impacting the lives of more than 290,000 students nationwide.
Mickelson frequently talks about the importance of science in his golf game, using calculations of force, motion, angles and distance to excel at the game. “Amy and I are extremely proud of this Academy milestone, and one of the highlights of our summer is visiting with and seeing first-hand the impact this program has made on teachers across the country,” said Mickelson. “We know interest in STEM subjects start at an early age, and we’re committed to training teachers to ignite a lifelong learning for these important subjects.”
Brookwood Teacher Selected for Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Va. Gov. McAuliffe to tour tornado damage
- Deadly fungus spreads in Everglades, killing trees
- Little sunlight as Obama raises super PAC dollars
- Central American leaders convening at White House
- Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- APNewsBreak: Gun law based on flawed estimate
- Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor
- Ohio State band marches on after director's firing
- Exoneration hearing set for convicted rapist
- Jordan shoots down 'aerial target' near Syria
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants; 5 dead
- German airlines cancel more Tel Aviv flights
- Australia readies 90 police for Ukraine crash site
- Surgeons in India remove 232 teeth from teen
- Ukraine reports overnight rebel attacks on border
- Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!