Brookwood Teacher Selected for Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy
While Meghan Sullivan’s students are off this summer enjoying some time away from school, she will be in the classroom learning how to better equip her students. Sutton is one of 150 highly qualified third through fifth grade teachers from around the country who has been selected to attend the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
Sullivan teaches fifth grade at Brookwood and was nominated to complete the application by her principal, Dr. Celeste Martin. Over 1,100 teachers nationwide applied to participate in the program this year.
“I am honored that one of Brookwood’s teachers was selected for this prestigious invitation,” said Dr. Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “The selection process was nationwide and very competitive. Having teachers like Mrs. Sullivan willing to increase her knowledge in the fields of math and science adds tremendous value to the work we are doing with STEM in our school.”
“I heard about the Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy on television and through Dr. Martin,” Sullivan said. “It’s very exciting to be selected to participate this summer. I’m looking forward to learning more about math and science integration in the classroom, and working with the field experts from the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions. It’s also a great opportunity to network with my peers from across the country that are doing STEM-related work in the classroom. I know I’ll gain a lot of good information that I can use in my classroom as well as share with my fellow teachers at Brookwood.”
The academy, held at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, New Jersey, strengthens teachers’ skills in teaching STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) areas. A panel of educators from the National Council of the Teachers of Mathematics and the National Science Teachers Association selected the participants from the applications submitted. Teachers were chosen based on their qualifications, dedication to inspiring students at an early age, and overall commitment to enhancing the teaching profession.
"Through innovative learning techniques, the Academy equips teachers with the tools and strategies to increase their students' interest and excitement about math and science, helping to develop future scientists and engineers," said Suzanne McCarron, Exxon Mobil Corporation's general manager of public and government affairs
Celebrating its 10th year of providing math and science education through professional development for teachers, the Mickelson ExxonMobile Teachers Academy is the collaboration of PGA Golfer Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy, and the ExxonMobil Corporation. ExxonMobile supports initiatives that encourage students to take an active interest in math and science careers, support the professional development of highly qualified teachers, and promote involvement by women and minority students. More than 4,100 teachers have been trained at the Academy, impacting the lives of more than 290,000 students nationwide.
Mickelson frequently talks about the importance of science in his golf game, using calculations of force, motion, angles and distance to excel at the game. “Amy and I are extremely proud of this Academy milestone, and one of the highlights of our summer is visiting with and seeing first-hand the impact this program has made on teachers across the country,” said Mickelson. “We know interest in STEM subjects start at an early age, and we’re committed to training teachers to ignite a lifelong learning for these important subjects.”
Brookwood Teacher Selected for Mickelson ExxonMobile Academy
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Plane that skidded through fence at LaGuardia is removed
- Judge sets May sentencing for mom found guilty of murder
- Woman hospitalized with burn injuries after house fire
- Police search for motorist after woman killed in hit-and-run
- Search is on for escaped inmate in northwest Georgia
- Cell phone lot at Atlanta airport closing for road work
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- 'Dr. Phil': To air 'intervention with Bobbi Brown's partner
- Report: Suicides by girls and young women continue to climb
- Ga. Senate passes controversial 'religious freedom' bill
- Junk mail: Former carrier accused of dumping mail in ravine
- Prosecutors: Businessman funded lavish lifestyle with scheme
- Federal judge shot during robbery attempt to have surgery
- Man arrested after calling 911 to say wife stole his cocaine
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (AP) -- The taxpayer-funded defense of Pennsylvania man convicted last month of strangling a drug-dealing pharmacist and his girlfriend and burying their bodies in his yard has cost more than $517,000.
- Homeowners group relents, Oks playhouse for girl with cancer
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Obama: Racial bias in Ferguson police dept not isolated
- Woman made bomb threat at Miami airport, police say
- Cowboy singing group among those stranded along snowy Kentucky highway
- New law allows pensions for workers in Nazis' Polish ghettos
- Frenchman on trial for helping 14-year-old trying to join IS
- Bird long thought to be extinct rediscovered in Myanmar
- South Sudan rivals fail to reach deal, frustrating mediators
- Lawmakers urge UK to be more outspoken on Hong Kong
- Residents: Boko Haram fighters gather in mass in NE Nigeria
- Stoltenberg says Merkel asked him to become NATO chief
- EU slaps new sanctions on Syria regime backers
- Pope meets with Chilean bishop amid outcry over appointment
- EU chief speaks out against arms supplies for Kiev
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!