Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Southwest 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low around 50. Light wind.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with the high again in the low ... More...
Chattanooga State Honored with the Prestigious Bellwether Award
Chattanooga State Community College received the celebrated Bellwether award at the 2013 Community College Futures Assembly in Lake Buena Vista, FL. The award is bestowed upon a community college with leading edge programs in community college practices worthy of replication. Since its inception 19 years ago, only 55 winning projects have been selected from among thousands of applicants.
Chattanooga State won in the Workforce Development category for a project called “The Wacker Institute: Diplomas with Job Offers!” The Workforce Development category recognizes programs that create public and/or private strategic alliances and partnerships that promote community and economic development. Chattanooga State formed a partnership with Wacker Polysilicon, North America to establish the Wacker Institute, which opened February 2012.
According to Dr. George Graham, head of the chemical engineering department at Chattanooga State and director of the Wacker Institute, “this is an affirmation of the tremendous efforts made by our faculty and staff to provide a world-class educational experience while exceeding the expectations of our partner’s (Wacker) needs – what an honor to be recognized as the best of best among other community colleges around the country.”
The Engineering Technology Wacker Institute stands ready to offer programs of study that will produce the best educated and trained technicians in the chemical manufacturing industry through a unique and rigorous educational collaborative. Graduates receive an associate of applied science degree (A.A.S.) in Engineering Technology or an embedded certificate in other technical areas of emphasis. The Institute’s key areas of education focus on preparing students to become process technicians (chemical operators), chemical laboratory technicians, electronics and instrumentation systems technicians, and mechanical systems technicians.
The innovative collaboration provides students an exciting blend of theory and hands-on experiences, which includes training in a one-of-kind chemical pilot plant located within the 25,000 square foot Institute. Graduates of the Chemical Engineering Technology program of study leave with their diploma in one hand and a job offer from Wacker in the other.
“We congratulate Chattanooga State on winning the prestigious Bellwether Award. The program they developed at the Wacker Institute is important to our future. The applied learning characteristic of programs developed by Chattanooga State are exactly what industry needs to prepare the workforce for today and the future. Chattanooga State’s approach of learning the competencies and educational needs of industry and developing a workforce to meet that gap hits the mark every time. The CRMA applauds these events and considers them essential to the economic development of Tennessee. We are proud to be their partner,” says Tim Spires, CEO and president, Chattanooga Regional Manufacturer’s Association.
For more information about chemical engineering technology or other programs in engineering technology at Chattanooga State, visit chattanoogastate.edu/engineering-technology/ or call (423) 697-4434.
Pictured: Tim McGhee, Chattanooga State dean, engineering technology; Dr.Jim Catanzaro, Chattanooga State president, and Dr. George Graham, Chattanooga State head, chemical engineering technology and director, Wacker Institute proudly display the Bellwether Award.Chattanooga State Honored with the Prestigious Bellwether Award
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man dies in police custody during breath test
- Man falls off waterfall in north Georgia mountains
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins $177,364.02 jackpot
- Atlanta officials to unveil regional heath guide
- Ga. gov candidates talk ethics during 2nd debate
- Georgia Gov. Deal forming Ebola response team
- Researchers seek to combat bat disease
- Boston man pleads guilty to LA, GA drug charges
- UGA postpones visit from Liberian journalist
- Ga. agency upgrading phone system to meet demand
- Do remains belong to missing Virginia student?
- Obama keeps his schedule clear to focus on Ebola
- Lawyers due in court in marathon bombing case
- NY Gov. Cuomo raises profile -- but for what?
- Survey: Pay raises rarer despite strong US hiring
- Ana downgraded to tropical storm; Hawaii relaxes
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Hawaii residents relax as hurricane threat eases
- 3-year-old girl beaten to death in NYC, police say
- Robotic device helps paralyzed groom walk aisle
- Germany arrests 2 over IS, Syria rebel links
- Jews buy homes in contested Arab area of Jerusalem
- Top Iraq Shiite cleric backs PM's fight against IS
- Attacks on Afghan checkpoints kill 4 troops
- Expelled Nazis paid millions in Social Security
- Federal police take control of 13 towns in Mexico
- China's ruling party opens meeting on rule of law
- Kerry seeks Asia's help in anti-Islamic State push
- Mudslides from rains kill 6 in southern Mexico
- Australia's Parliament House lifts face veil ban
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!