Chattanooga State Honored with the Prestigious Bellwether Award
Chattanooga State Community College received the celebrated Bellwether award at the 2013 Community College Futures Assembly in Lake Buena Vista, FL. The award is bestowed upon a community college with leading edge programs in community college practices worthy of replication. Since its inception 19 years ago, only 55 winning projects have been selected from among thousands of applicants.
Chattanooga State won in the Workforce Development category for a project called “The Wacker Institute: Diplomas with Job Offers!” The Workforce Development category recognizes programs that create public and/or private strategic alliances and partnerships that promote community and economic development. Chattanooga State formed a partnership with Wacker Polysilicon, North America to establish the Wacker Institute, which opened February 2012.
According to Dr. George Graham, head of the chemical engineering department at Chattanooga State and director of the Wacker Institute, “this is an affirmation of the tremendous efforts made by our faculty and staff to provide a world-class educational experience while exceeding the expectations of our partner’s (Wacker) needs – what an honor to be recognized as the best of best among other community colleges around the country.”
The Engineering Technology Wacker Institute stands ready to offer programs of study that will produce the best educated and trained technicians in the chemical manufacturing industry through a unique and rigorous educational collaborative. Graduates receive an associate of applied science degree (A.A.S.) in Engineering Technology or an embedded certificate in other technical areas of emphasis. The Institute’s key areas of education focus on preparing students to become process technicians (chemical operators), chemical laboratory technicians, electronics and instrumentation systems technicians, and mechanical systems technicians.
The innovative collaboration provides students an exciting blend of theory and hands-on experiences, which includes training in a one-of-kind chemical pilot plant located within the 25,000 square foot Institute. Graduates of the Chemical Engineering Technology program of study leave with their diploma in one hand and a job offer from Wacker in the other.
“We congratulate Chattanooga State on winning the prestigious Bellwether Award. The program they developed at the Wacker Institute is important to our future. The applied learning characteristic of programs developed by Chattanooga State are exactly what industry needs to prepare the workforce for today and the future. Chattanooga State’s approach of learning the competencies and educational needs of industry and developing a workforce to meet that gap hits the mark every time. The CRMA applauds these events and considers them essential to the economic development of Tennessee. We are proud to be their partner,” says Tim Spires, CEO and president, Chattanooga Regional Manufacturer’s Association.
For more information about chemical engineering technology or other programs in engineering technology at Chattanooga State, visit chattanoogastate.edu/engineering-technology/ or call (423) 697-4434.
Pictured: Tim McGhee, Chattanooga State dean, engineering technology; Dr.Jim Catanzaro, Chattanooga State president, and Dr. George Graham, Chattanooga State head, chemical engineering technology and director, Wacker Institute proudly display the Bellwether Award.Chattanooga State Honored with the Prestigious Bellwether Award
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GA parole board held clemency hearing for man set to die
- Metro Atlanta man killed in Alabama freeway crash
- Ga. sisters sentenced in robbery, carjacking of SCAD student
- New Atlanta restaurant to feature world-class artworks
- Batman ride at Six Flags Over Georgia to run backward
- Study: Savannah River has room for Ga., SC to build new port
- Man facing charges over missing couple turns himself in
- Alabama appeals decision blocking ban on same-sex marriage
- Georgia ports seeing growth from West Coast labor problems
- Couple is missing after long drive to meet Craigslist seller
- Snow starts to fall as storm threatens to paralyze the crowded Northeast US
- Blind harbor seal learns basic skills at Alaska aquarium
- Probation for ex-officer shot on job, lauded, later arrested
- Gunman wounds worker at Los Angeles-area mental clinic
- Measles outbreak that began at Disneyland grows to 87 cases
- The latest on the Northeast snowstorm
- Melissa Rivers files lawsuit in mother Joan Rivers' death
- Victim testifies at Boy Scout sex trial about molestation
- Closing arguments begin in ex-Vandy players' rape trial
- Senate Dems block GOP effort to wind down pipeline debate
- Mexico protest marks 4 months since students' disappearance
- UN: deadly attack on Ukraine city could be war crime
- Frenchwoman freed from Mexico jail sues ex-president, others
- Russia rejects charges that it's responsible for renewed Ukraine violence
- Gunshots fired at Emirati plane on landing in Baghdad
- Colombians celebrate Miss Universe title
- Canada finds case of H7N9 bird flu in traveler
- Spielberg warns of growing anti-Semitism at Holocaust event
- Ireland unveils credit card-style passports for EU travel
- Saudi Arabia carries out first beheading under new king
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!