Today: Partly to mostly sunny with an afternoon high in the low 70s. Light North wind.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- In Ga. Senate race, Nunn stumps across north Ga.
- Marietta firm proposes purchase of newspapers
- Plea deal in FAMU case is off the table
- Perdue urging conservatives in final bus tour
- Burned dogs showing up at Georgia animal hospital
- Homeowner kills man during shootout near Atlanta
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7.3 percent
- Metro Athens has lowest jobless metro jobless rate
- Missouri police preparing for grand jury decision
- Obama offers federal help to NY with Ebola case
- NY doctor back from Guinea has Ebola
- Police: Hatchet-wielding suspect shot by officers
- Judge dismisses cases in IRS political controversy
- Tornado rips roofs in Washington state
- Police: Officers in Arizona shoot man with machete
- Nebraska students charged in alcohol death
- NCAA asks court to end Penn State legal battle
- ACLU: Kansas court hearing on gay marriage is off
- UK boy finishes proton therapy in Prague for tumor
- Cameron: EU has secured 1 billion for Ebola fight
- Iraqi officials say IS militants used chlorine gas
- Gestapo impostor tricked Nazi sympathizers in WWII
- 2 arrested after explosives found in Denmark
- French journalists jailed in Indonesia's Papua
- Overnight French raid destroys IS arms center
- Insurgents kill 5 in attack in Afghanistan: police
- Poland's Tusk denies claim on partition offer
- 1st Ebola case in W. African nation of Mali
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!