Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday and highs in the ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- ATF agent shot in Athens, hospitalized
- Ex-pupil, board member testify in cheating trial
- Report: Obama rode elevator with armed man
- Morgan: 'Can't believe' Wal-Mart blaming him
- Man sentenced to life in fatal Cobb Co. stabbing
- South GA Air Force base warns of training exercise
- Savannah harbor agreement to be signed next week
- 8 horses escape Ga. pasture, trot along freeway
- Businessman sentenced to prison term in fraud case
- Closing arguments begin in loud music killing case
- Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians in Dallas
- Fire damages several buildings in Atlantic City
- Pennsylvania trooper shot dead during gun training
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Psych expert says suspect didn't understand rights
- Jury convicts Colorado teen in newlywed slayings
- Casino mogul says experience, not gambling, is key
- Government confirms first case of Ebola in US
- Scientists see bleached coral in northwest Hawaii
- 2 sue Jehovah's Witnesses congregation, say abused
- China ship sinks off Japan coast, 9 missing
- 12 killed as 2 trains collide in northern India
- Australia sends 2 unarmed support planes over Iraq
- 2 suicide bomber attacks in Kabul kill 7, wound 21
- Rousseff takes lead in Brazil election poll
- Pot decriminalization bill drafted in Jamaica
- Large crowds mark 1991 coup anniversary in Haiti
- Spanish rescued after 12 days trapped in Peru cave
- Iranian filmmakers call for nuclear deal
- Most of China doesn't see protests in Hong Kong
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!