Wednesday: Morning clouds, then a mix of sun and clouds along with occasional showers and t-showers with a high in the mid/upper 80s. A west-southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GOP voters in Georgia decide Senate nominee
- GA fire officials: Person pulled from train tracks
- Fire officials: Person struck by MARTA train
- Friend of GA man charged in son's death speaks out
- 3 Ga. firefighters hurt during training accident
- Tow truck driver killed on Atlanta interstate
- Historically black colleges face uncertain future
- GA man guilty of faking allergy test results
- 29 officers graduating from Atlanta Police Academy
- GBI: Officer dragged by vehicle, kills driver
- Vigil, march for NY man who died in police custody
- Maryland church built in 1773 ravaged by fire
- Crews make gains on massive Washington wildfire
- Government drafting birth control accommodation
- Man dies in California after beach hole collapses
- Board puts soda tax before San Francisco voters
- New York police eye retraining after custody death
- Trial date set in Colorado theater shooting case
- Seeking the limelight, Biden courts key Dem groups
- Bomb talk suspect to plead to immigration charge
- Qatar, Saudi rulers meet on Gaza cease-fire talks
- Puerto Rico police probe deaths of 16 cats, dogs
- Mexico's circuses caught up in animal rights spat
- Israel tells airlines not to cancel flights
- Nigerian president meets with parents of abducted girls
- Crash scene still not secure
- Canada deports members of human trafficking ring
- Egypt: 20 'terrorists' carried out border attack
- Infighting as split emerges among Syrian rebels
- Italy arrests smugglers accused of killing dozens
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!