Today: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs in the low to middle 80s. North wind 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low in the lower 60s.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. Rain chances increase ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Theater apologizes after kids see 'Sex Tape' clips
- More than $20,000 in NASCAR collectibles stolen
- Mayor: Atlanta should welcome immigrant children
- Minnesota robbery suspect arrested in Georgia
- Driver of stolen car rams police cruiser head-on
- Atlanta, Macon break record low temperatures
- Savannah wins water taste test award
- Georgia tax holiday approaching
- Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia
- Ga. agency participating in heat safety campaign
- Man charged with killing referee faces key hearing
- Police: Boy, 8, shot and killed in Detroit
- Son says NC-based missionary fighting Ebola
- Shelling of UN school kills 15 as Gaza war rages
- Lollapalooza marks a decade in Chicago
- Man drives Camaro off bridge; drag race tie probed
- Cops: Man tries to smother ill dad, who later dies
- Cops: Man tried to smother ill dad, who later dies
- Ex-governor's corruption trial focuses on marriage
- US appeals court blocks Mississippi abortion law
- Crop circle in Germany attracts many visitors
- British Airways sued in pilot sex abuse allegation
- Crop circle in Germany attracts many visitors
- Greece: Farm owner cleared over migrant shootings
- Chinese minority scholar indicted for separatism
- Seoul says North Korea fires 4 projectiles
- Iraq offers aid to those displaced by militants
- Landslide hits Indian village, 150 may be trapped
- Toyota remains at top in sales after first half
- Observers turned back from Ukraine crash site
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!