Saturday: Cloudy and drier through the afternoon. An afternoon high in the upper 40s to lower 50s.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and seasonably cold with a low in the low/mid 30s.
Sunday: A mix of clouds and sun, then cloudy through the ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- UGA vet school to host shelter medicine conference
- Hearings delayed in officials' suits against Columbus
- Savannah city employees donate 25,204 cans of food
- Former Atlanta officer sentenced to prison
- Georgia student dies after completing presentation
- Former Angels pick killed in argument over candy
- Dublin VA chief says waits still too long
- Flu season, early again, hitting hard in South and Midwest
- 3rd person dies after shooting at Macon nightclub
- Ex-Cub Scout leader sent to prison in child molestation case
- Federal court finds protesters in contempt for ignoring order to halt anti-whaling campaign
- Obama touches down in Hawaii for annual vacation
- San Francisco deputy charged with assault, perjury
- AP WAS THERE: US breaks relations with Cuba
- Oklahoma official says state has execution drugs
- NY pain doctor gets prison in manslaughter case
- State Dept. warns US travelers to be extra careful
- Bob Simpson, co-developer of Saffir-Simpson scale, dies
- Obama calls on women only at news conference
- Lava could reach Hawaii shopping center in 8 days
- Kidnapped Mozambican businessman released
- Robbers strike at Berlin's famed KaDeWe store
- Extremists in Nigeria lining up elderly and shooting them
- Bahrain 'terror blast' wounds 3 police
- Russia dismisses new US sanctions as useless
- Liberia holds Senate vote amid Ebola fears
- Pakistan officials: US drone strike in northwestern tribal area kills 5 militants
- Bombings kill 10 in Iraq
- 2016 hopeful Ben Carson pledges support for Israel
- Pakistan: US drone strike kills 5 militants
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!