Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Elderly Ga. woman found dead in ditch
- Deadline nears for end of 2015 Ga. legislative session
- Central Arkansas officials apply to host football bowl game
- Governor says he will sign transportation funding proposal
- Jury begins Day 8 of deliberations in school cheating trial
- Couple suspected in 1992 death to be extradited to Kansas
- Woman sent to prison for setting fire to homeless camp
- Woman added to Tennessee Top Ten Most Wanted list caught
- Witnesses say boy, 3, killed when he accidentally fires gun
- Day 8 of deliberations in Atlanta schools cheating trial
- Fervor over Portland airport carpet generates a second life
- Future of pumpkin festival in New Hampshire council's hands
- Texas bill would bar gun ownership status in medical record
- Mom of kids found in freezer faces hearing on murder charges
- New Jersey Sen. Menendez vows to fight corruption charges
- Study: Some ants have more taste for human food than others
- The latest developments on religious objections laws
- Chowchilla school bus kidnapper wins release from prison
- Student charged with sexual abuse at campus day care center
- Phoenix police officer won't face charges in fatal shooting
- S.Korean ferry victims' relatives reject compensation plan
- AP Poll: Russia anti-gay views on rise; teachers face brunt
- Afghan official: Police chief killed by roadside bomb
- Police: Gunmen attack university in eastern Kenya
- British banker's Hong Kong murder case adjourned to May
- British Prince Harry reports for duty in Australia next week
- Hugo Chavez' favorite daughter makes UN debut as US bashed
- Lacking faith in government, Mexican parents approach cartel
- Amnesty: Gambia sentences 3 to death for attempted coup
- Gay Premier urges businesses in Indiana to move to Ontario
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!