Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Billy Dilworth --veteran Georgia, SC journalist -- dies at 80
- 2-year-old girl drowns in south Georgia river
- Atlanta DUI suspect jumps 30 feet from overpass
- Fleeing suspect runs to law enforcement training center
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Event set to honor Declaration of Independence signers
- Security heightened for Fourth of July events, travel
- Flash flood warnings issued in north Georgia
- Feds to retain oversight of Ga. behavioral health system
- Zoo Atlanta acquires bald eagle from Auburn Raptor Center
- Authorities: Ferris wheel in Orlando stops, stranding riders
- Washington motel closes after possible Legionnaires' report
- Coast Guard suspends Alaska search for overboard crew member
- NASCAR distances itself from Donald Trump after remarks
- 2 badly burned bodies found in a car in a remote ravine
- Florida bond hearing becomes reunion for childhood friends
- San Francisco: No 'legal basis' to hold shooting suspect
- AP National News Calendar
- Feds: San Francisco pier shooting suspect deported 5 times
- US Senator pushes amendment to shift power back to states
- UN says children being killed in Burundi's violence
- Mexico set to free founder of Michoacan vigilante movement
- El Salvador's 677 murders in June most since civil war
- France to assist Cameroon as it fights against Boko Haram
- Stolen border crossing cards recovered in Mexico
- Pope to Christians: Put aside divisions amid persecution
- Heavy fighting in Syria as Islamic militants, rebels announce new push for city of Aleppo
- Woman injured after bomb explodes at Canadian law firm
- UN leader offers assistance in Guyana-Venezuela dispute
- Russian MiG fighter crashes in southern Russia, pilot lives
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!