Today: Sunny and a little warmer through the afternoon with a high in the upper 60s. A lighter breeze from the north at 10-15.
Tonight: A clear sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s (30s possible again mountains and away ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Burned dogs showing up at Georgia animal hospital
- Homeowner kills man during shootout near Atlanta
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7.3 percent
- Metro Athens has lowest jobless metro jobless rate
- Senator to speak at Ga. veterans' center event
- Frost advisory issued for parts of Georgia
- Deal, Carter discuss gun laws, reforms at forum
- Group blocks Atlanta freeway in police protest
- Authorities in Ga. arrest 18 in child porn raids
- Body recovered from burned out car in Clarke Co.
- Alabama judge tosses 2nd lawsuit over circumcision
- Ice cream truck hits, kills boy; driver attacked
- Prosecutors: Michigan girl meant to kill family
- Columnist George Will's Ohio lecture draws protest
- Court: NY woman can keep $10K ring from ex-beau
- White House fence jumper charged with assault
- Albania, Kosovo officials visit rival Serbia
- USDA brings indoor plumbing to Alaska village
- 3 states deny gay unions despite appellate rulings
- AP-GfK Poll: Many doubt hospitals can handle Ebola
- Mom of Canada suspect: I cry for victims, not son
- China punishes 17 officials for village clash
- Woman who beat Ebola mourns for her slain dog
- Danes summon Turkish diplomat over freed suspect
- EU leaders seek more Ebola funding at summit
- Swiss chain sorry for 'unforgivable' packaging
- NK experts: US must apologize to free detainees
- Airstrikes target oil field in eastern Syria
- Investigators detain 4 more in Moscow plane crash
- Police: Gunmen kill 8 Shiite Muslims in Pakistan
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!