Tonight: Becoming cloudy Showers possible late. An overnight low near 60. A south wind at 10mph.
Friday: Showers likely ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Deal signs bill restricting some abortion coverage
- Gov. Deal signs 'medical amnesty' bill
- Ga. governor approves referendum on dorm taxes
- Fire destroys home of former state lawmaker
- Parents of infant found dead held on drug charges
- Miss. girl, 2, found unharmed in south Georgia
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate drops to 6.8 percent
- Ga. transit police plan Detroit recruitment event
- Georgia Tech to host health care partnership forum
- Woman charged in NC kidnap to have bond hearing
- New Yorker who faked drowning gets 7-year sentence
- Slain TSA agent's family files claim for $25M
- Stocks mostly higher on earnings gains; Apple up
- Management, safety cited for radiation release
- Measles off to a fast start, as cases trend up
- Christie says he would have stopped lane closings
- Big riders mean big horses on Western trails
- NRA seeks universal gun law at national meeting
- Florida school stops serving soda before tests
- Philadelphia newspaper guild won't bid for company
- London school says students abused by US teacher
- Ukraine FM: We are ready to fight Russia
- Mali coup leader faces possible death penalty
- Mexico rescues 44 kidnapped Guatemalan migrants
- Jokes, parties, concerts are out as South Korea mourns ferry victims
- Sub completes 90 percent of search
- Uruguay to limit pot buyers to 10 grams a week
- Puerto Rico govt seeks to lure wealthy investors
- Classes resume at South Korean school
- Families of ferry's lost confront South Korean officials
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!