Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible, especially over the southern & eastern part of the viewing area. An overnight low in the upper 40s. A northeast wind at 10mph.
Saturday: Cloudy and breezy at times. Still some light rain possible south ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Public memorial for Herb Emory set for Saturday
- 2 convicted in child's death at Georgia daycare
- Atlanta student arrested in grandmother's death
- Deal set to sign bill expanding gun rights in Ga.
- Savannah woman sentenced in death of newborn
- Georgia daycare ordered closed after child in van
- Man wanted in Georgia killing arrested in Alabama
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in Iowa man's death
- Girl critically injured after being struck by car
- Man sentenced after threat to eat judge's kids
- Time not on side of Russia-Ukraine detente deal
- Man pleads guilty in Alaska flight diversion case
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- Flyaway owl found, hungry but safe
- Fire destroys 3 homes at Jersey shore community
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Senate to debate rideshare regulations
- Bryant U. cracks down on selfies at graduation
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
- Car bomber kills 6 at Syrian government checkpoint
- More dives planned; Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing plane to be done in week
MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Roman Catholics throughout Latin America and the Caribbean are paying tribute to Jesus Christ in Holy Week traditions that go back centuries and range from religious processions to self-flagellation.
- Blast in busy Cairo square kills 1 police officer
- Blast in busy Cairo square kills 1 officer
- Officials: 24 more abducted Nigerian students free
- Pope leads torch-lit Good Friday procession
- N. Korea criticizes 'human rights racket' of US
- Belfast IRA figure killed in splinter-group feud
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!