Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Friday ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- DeKalb Co. crime stats questioned in federal audit
- Fatal Walker Co. fire linked to wood burning stove
- Allman dropped from Georgia lawsuit in train crash
- Perdue, Nunn talk trust, solutions in final ads
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola to get dog back
- Town official: Halloween back on as manhunt ends
- Town hopes to hold Halloween as manhunt ends
- Grand Canyon receives reports of roaming wolf
- Nevada court says Strip club dancers are employees
- Obama speaks to Myanmar's political leaders
- Official: Man wanted in ambush armed when captured
- 2 Louisiana children killed walking to school
- Sleuths have new hope in search for Earhart plane
- Suspect arrested in taunting of California officer
- Hong Kong activists mull Beijing visit during APEC
- Myanmar's president, army chief meet Suu Kyi
- Malaysia Airlines sued by 2 boys over Flight 370
- US and Australia drop sanctions against Fiji
- Nations in Americas join in battle against Ebola
- Cali cartel boss' daughter charged with extortion
- French town bans clown disguises after assaults
- Clothing with bodies matches missing Texans'
- Costa Rica volcano spews ash, prompts evacuations
- Senior US diplomat seeks end to impasse in Haiti
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!