Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Family, friends expected for private Bobbi Kristina funeral
- Army Corps: Savannah harbor expansion taking big steps ahead
- GOP proposes protections for already protected clergy
- State representative gives $500,000 to UGA law school
- Florida congressman to Coast Guard: Keep searching for teens
- Permit suspended at ropes course where teen fatally injured
- Grady giving police 1,000 packages of sex crime evidence
- Man arrested in fatal shooting of 81-year-old Atlanta woman
- Police investigate double shooting in DeKalb County; 1 dead
- After week of searching, no sign of boys lost at sea
- Dems still weighing Iran deal, but happy with Obama outreach
- Astronomers gather in Hawaii amid telescope tensions
- Dozens line up to be first to buy medical pot in Nevada
- Palestinian shot by Israeli troops during protest dies
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks
- Guillermo racing in Pacific, remains far from Hawaii
- Jail inmate in Arizona pulls eye out of its socket
- Honolulu police arrest suspect in assault of state lawmaker
- California site will let residents tattle on water wasters
- Judge approves place for Mel Reynolds to stay while on bond
- Syrian rebel group leaves their HQ after clash with al-Qaida
- Top Russian, US and Saudi diplomats to meet in Qatar
- South Sudan: Thousands risk starvation amid Nile blockade
- UN says at least 1,332 Iraqis killed by violence in July
- Exiled Yemen prime minister returns to war-torn city of Aden
- Flight 370 wing flap expected to arrive at French site
- Having made Olympic history, Beijing faces challenges
- Failed bitcoin exchange chief Karpeles arrested in Japan
- Saudi official says bin Ladens killed in England plane crash
- AP's Myanmar journalist Aye Aye Win retires after 25 years
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!