Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Severe thunderstorms possible as rain moves into Georgia
- Cellphone thieves targeting college students in Atlanta
- Person of interest in Macon woman's death found dead
- Man diagnosed with Lassa fever dies in US after Liberia trip
- Correction: Unattended Child Campaign story
- 1 person dead in collision with fire department vehicle
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- 18-year-old gets 25 years for grandparents' deaths in fire
- Arizona House Democrat to challenge McCain for Senate
- Cops kill man suspected in ex's slaying outside NY casino
- Reactor back 2 online weeks after fire at NY nuke plant
- Small business jet rolls partly off runway at Baltimore
- New Mexico police officer fatally shot; person in custody
- 11-year protest in Catholic church faces moment of reckoning
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- High court won't hear child custody dispute
- Cops kill man suspected in woman's slaying outside NY casino
- Poland to offer safe haven to 60 Syrian Christian families
- Britain faces tension over push for less EU control
- IOM urges EU to accept far more asylum seekers
- Enraged voters menace political status quo in Spain, Poland
- Egypt investigates police killing of student
- Auschwitz trial session canceled due to defendant's health
- Albania's president wary of Macedonia crisis fallout
- Sweltering temperatures in India leave 750 dead in 5 weeks
- Rights group says Libya civilians trapped in eastern city
- Malaysia refuses entry to teen leader of Hong Kong protests
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!