Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Southwest 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low around 50. Light wind.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with the high again in the low ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 2 Ga. men sentenced to life in fatal armed robbery
- 2 men found fatally shot in west Ga. house
- Georgia criminal justice council given 8 grants
- UNLV president search narrows to 3 candidates
- Authorities bust Ga. heroin smuggling operation
- Nunn debuts another Bush ad in Georgia Senate race
- Georgia soldiers being deployed to West Africa
- Georgia governor details Ebola Response Team
- Ebola patient released from Atlanta hospital
- Pilot identified in fatal Ga. small plane crash
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Oklahoma Guard: No injuries after midair collision
- Closing arguments set in trial of Tsarnaev friend
- Reports: Televangelist urged vasectomies, abortion
- Finding victims in Indiana case a lengthy process
- Survey shows media differences due to politics
- America makes 'Wasabi Ginger' favorite new Lay's chip
- Standing ovation at Met Opera despite protest
- No bail for man in Washington shooting spree
- 13 injured in Missouri school bus collision
- Head of Iran's chief clerical body dead at 83
- Few hopes of success in Hong Kong talks
- Taliban attack kills 4 Afghan soldiers in Kabul
- Harvard student stuck in Mexico gets new US visa
- Driver shot dead after he hits 2 Canadian soldiers
- Panama suspends Supreme Court judge for corruption
- Former Australia Prime Minister Gough Whitlam dies
- Driver shot after he hits 2 Canadian soldiers
- EU foreign ministers reject travel ban
- Rehydration was a key in ridding Nigeria of Ebola
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!