Sunday Night: Partly cloudy and comfortable with an overnight low in the middle 60s.
A slightly better chance for afternoon t-showers ... More...
Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- New publisher chosen for The Times of Gainesville
- 2 found dead, infant removed from Smyrna house
- Monroe County sheriff's deputy dies after shooting
- FAA, NTSB probing Ga. small plane crash
- 2 deputies wounded in Monroe County shooting
- Ga. family raises money for girl's ear surgeries
- Stronger Hurricane Odile aims at Mexico's Baja
- University schedules Cobb traffic forum
- Hawks apologize for racially charged comments
- Ga. city officials mull ending public comments
- Police seek huge boa on loose in Idaho
- Mayor at Star-Spangled Banner event, hospitalized
- Man's family disputes police version of shooting
- Lawyer: Hopeful tests show dead infants stillborn
- Colorado deputies find 2 missing boys
- Subway tunnel damaged by Sandy restored to service
- Riders briefly stuck in amusement park outage
- Officials beg pastor, strip club owner to end feud
- Wildlife experts work to keep baby opossums alive
- Colorado deputies search for 2 missing boys
- Syrian opposition to revamp forces on the ground
- Egypt arrests 157 migrants headed to Italy
- Diplomatic push grows against Islamic State group
- Portugal bank slated for sale gets new management
- 2 dead in Slovenia floods, Croatia also hit hard
- Cameron: Islamic State poses `massive' security threat
- Militants holding Lebanese soldiers release video
- 2 men fatally gored by bull at Portuguese festival
- Rights group urges Yemen to probe use of force
- Boat carrying wedding party sinks in flood
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!