Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DEA agent honored for rescuing family from burning truck
- Police: passenger dies in fatal getaway robbery attempt
- Bobby Brown's lawyer: Bobbi Kristina Brown has opened eyes
- Georgia high court upholds ruling tossing murder conviction
- Severe weather moves through north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia accused of Pennsylvania jury scam
- Weather advisories issued for north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia charged in Pennsylvania jury scam
- Man charged in 4 deaths waives arraignment in 1 case
- Weather advisories issued for north, central Georgia
- Arkansas cities push back against laws cast as anti-gay
- Jury to resume deliberations in Iowa spousal sex abuse case
- Penalty phase of Boston Marathon bombing trial set to begin
- Wife of ex-Virginia governor: Corruption trial was unfair
- Spokesman: Alabama woman left to join Islamic State group
- Ex-Va. governor's wife: Corruption trial was unfair
- Annual Jefferson Muzzles awards released, spotlighting those who snuffed or punished free speech
- Woman who designed "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign dies
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Sapling planted in Michael Brown's memory destroyed
- Man detained after fire at British embassy in The Hague
- US man gets 18-year jail for murdering girlfriend's mother
- 'Accountant of Auschwitz' standing trial in Germany
- 7 dead, 17 trapped in flooded northern China coal mine
- Sri Lankan lawmakers protest bribery summons for ex-leader
- Officials say explosion in southern Afghanistan kills 3
- Chinese President Xi Jinping addresses Pakistani parliament
- Afghan official: At least 2 dead in car bomb explosion
- Fierce storm lashes southeast Australia; 3 feared dead
- Japan PM sends offerings to criticized war shrine
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!