Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Autopsy: Football player's death due to heart disease
- Man charged with raping fiancTe's 12-year-old daughter
- Judge says Georgia's gay marriage ban can't be enforced
- Savannah school deemed safe after Freon scare
- Deputies find body inside apartment after report of gunfire
- Scholars edit, compile works of poet T.S. Eliot
- Richmond County deputy resigns after family violence arrest
- Presidential 'peanut poll' opens at Georgia National Fair
- Gwinnett County instructor accused of sexual assault
- Future films top songs for BET Hip-Hop Awards' pre show
- Satellite images show scale of NKorea's anniversary parade
- California to phase out microbeads used in soaps, toothpaste
- With drones in tow, Anderson debuts 'Junun' documentary
- The Latest: Video shows knife fight that injured US airman
- Man who says he killed wife to stop suffering given 15 years
- The Latest: Education firms charged in kickback scheme
- US: Several Russian cruise missiles landed in Iran
- Man who landed gyrocopter outside Capitol rejects deal
- Alabama judge: Feds should issue same-sex marriage licenses
- The Latest: Ryan says he's not a candidate for House speaker
- The Latest: UN: 'Christian refugees only' policy dangerous
- Associated Press count shows over 1,360 pilgrims killed in Saudi hajj crush, stampede in Mina
- Qatar royal sentenced by Prague court
- The Latest: Slovakia to help police Hungary's borders
- No-fly zone to be enforced over William and Kate's home
- Actor Daniel Craig: I'm over James Bond
- The Latest: Hungary OKs border help from EU, NATO forces
- The Latest: Attacker killed after Tel Aviv stabbing
- The Latest: Hayatou says he won't stand in FIFA election
- Hamburgers might be on the menu for Russian astronauts
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!