Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
Katherine Ward of Chattanooga, Tenn. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 16 to participate in the 56th Distinguished Young Women National Finals to be held June 27, 28 and 29 at the Mobile Civic Center Theater. Ward is one of 50 state representatives competing for a share of more than $100,000 in cash scholarships and the opportunity to represent the program as the Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2013.
Following her selection as the Distinguished Young Woman of Tennessee, Ward began preparations for the National Finals competition, which will include five categories of evaluation: scholastics (20%), interview (25%), fitness (15%), talent (25%) and self-expression (15%). During her two weeks in Mobile, Ward will participate in team building activities, complete community service projects, interact with the Gulf Coast community through various events and engage in many hours of rehearsal in preparation for the three night scholarship competition.
"Distinguished Young Women seeks to recognize and reward young women who have set themselves apart from their peers and worked toward excellence in all areas of their lives," said Heather Rocker, executive director of Distinguished Young Women. "The 50 outstanding high school senior girls who will take part in our 56th annual National Finals represent the best qualities of today’s youth and will surely go on to accomplish great things as our future leaders."
If selected as the program’s overall winner, Ward will spend the next year representing Distinguished Young Women across the country through various appearances and promoting the program’s national outreach initiative of "Be Your Best Self." The outreach program is designed to combat major issues facing children today including childhood obesity and high school drop out rates, as well as encourage young people to take an active interest in their communities through service. The outreach program consists of five elements - Be Healthy, Be Involved, Be Studious, Be Ambitious and Be Responsible.
Ward is a 2013 graduate of Notre Dame High School and the daughter of Karen Ward and William Ward.
To view the live webcast of the Distinguished Young Women National Finals, visit www.distinguishedyw.org on Saturday, June 29 at 7 p.m. CST. Chattanooga Teen Set to Compete in National Scholarship Competition
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Residents of senior center displaced after water main break
- Peach State gears up for a rare big week for men's hoops
- Man struck and killed by vehicle in suburban Atlanta
- Man killed, second man hurt in Waynesboro shooting, stabbing
- After weather delay, GA to perform rare execution of a woman
- Woman killed in wrong-way interstate wreck is identified
- Savannah police investigating death of Colombian man
- Governor staff raises exceed those for teachers, others
- Muscogee schools, CSU partner on science, math, tech program
- No charges for lobbyist who brought gun to Capitol
- Israeli PM in US for controversial speech
- Suspect in fatal Los Angeles street race held on $2M bail
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina, 48th state in office
- Pickup truck goes into frozen river; dead dog found inside
- New York City mayor marches in gay pre-St. Patrick's parade
- 3rd child dies after carbon monoxide leak in Ohio home
- High-speed drive lands Marine in jail; struck bike officer
- Rare Native American pendant found as crew digs Ohio trench
- 1 killed, 5 wounded in shooting at Detroit social hall
- House Speaker John Boehner: I like my job `most days'
- Estonia's ruling pro-Western Reform Party wins election
- Greece protests planned Turkish air maneuvers in Aegean Sea
- Estonians vote in parliamentary election amid security fears
- Israeli military conducts 'surprise' drill in West Bank
- US officials called 'terrorists' mock Venezuela travel ban
- Russia detains Ukrainian parliament member over Odessa fire
- Popular Peru ex-minister charged in killing of journalist
- Italy resumes Navy exercise amid new tensions over Libya
- Elegant Vazquez replaces folksy Mujica as Uruguay president
- Party of Lesotho's prime minister ahead in election results
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!