Tonight: A fair to partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the upper 60s.
Friday: Sunny to partly sunny and still hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. A south wind at 5-10mph.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy and muggy ... More...
Chattanooga Zoo Welcomes New Residents
The Chattanooga Zoo announced the arrival of three Black-crested Mangabeys to their new home in Gombe Forest. Two females, Roxie and Suzy, and one male, Sam, were rescued from the illegal meat trade in Congo, Africa and sent to the United States for safe haven. After spending a few years at the San Antonio Zoo, these primates have found a home at the Chattanooga Zoo.
“All of us here at the Zoo feel privileged to provide a home for these highly endangered primates,” notes Darde Long, Zoo Executive Director. “We hope their story will inspire everyone to get involved with and support animal conservation efforts both here and abroad”.
In recent years, the hunting of primates such as Black-crested Mangabeys has reached epic proportions in parts of Africa. Mangabeys are hunted for their meat which is then sold illegally on the black market, creating what many conservationists refer to as the “bushmeat phenomenon”.
Roxie, Sam and Suzy are adjusting well to their new home in Chattanooga. Zoo staff looks forward to warmer spring weather which will allow the Mangabeys to alternate exhibit space with their neighbors, the Chimpanzees.
Chattanooga Zoo Welcomes New Residents
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death
- Little Richard not hurt in Tennessee car accident
- Rideshare company comes to Ala., Ga. college towns
- Second person arrested in taxi driver's death
- Family sues East Point after death in custody
- City moves ahead on benefits for same-sex couples
- Woman gives birth inside Walmart near Atlanta
- Sheriff's captain accused of crimes involving teen
- Ga. lane closures to be lifted for holiday weekend
- Atlanta Audubon Society plans tour
- Plane stowaway arrested in Phoenix says she's ill
- Obama taps veteran diplomat to be Afghan envoy
- Wife of Maryland U.S. Rep. Andy Harris dies
- Police: Man rams car into SC assisted living home
- 2 California counties ask to form separate state
- Museum to display 6,500-year-old human skeleton
- High school buddies followed similar path to jihad
- Flight diverts to Boston over reclined-seat upset
- Murder charge for child care worker in boy's death
- Wyoming sheriff says pastor actually shot himself
- North Korea says no cheerleaders for Asian Games
- Asian tourists injured in Canada bus crash
- Russia replies to Canada's colorful map tweet
- Ranger in Africa's oldest park wounded by grenade
- Jamaica agriculture minister dies in Florida
- Russia defends actions in Ukraine
- Dominican gov't slow to issue permits to migrants
- Pakistan army chief to mediate political crisis
- Egypt militants post beheading video
- Pope removes key Benedict XVI protege
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!