Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy and warm. Highs in the low to middle 80s.
Tomorrow Night: Mostly clear and pleasant. Lows in the upper 50s to lower 60s.
Highs ... More...
Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship Recipients Announced
The Blood Assurance Foundation is proud to announce the 2012 winners of its Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship. Eleven students each received a $1,500 scholarship to assist with their educational expenses.
Crystal, who graduated from Dade County High School, was a student at Georgia Southern University before suffering a setback with aplastic anemia. After hundreds of hours of platelet transfusions and a bone marrow transplant, Crystal lost her long battle in November 1998, shortly after turning 21.
In her honor, Blood Assurance established a scholarship fund in 1999 for high school students seeking to better themselves and aspiring to give back to the communities from which they came. To date, 142 scholarships have been awarded.
Scholarship applicants are judged on a written application, high school transcript, school and community service, letters of recommendation, and a marketing plan for a blood drive.
Eligible students must attend a school which participates in Blood Assurance’s Project Lifeline, a series of blood drives held at local high schools. Seniors must have at least a B average and at least a 20 on the ACT or a score of 1100 on the SAT to apply.
For the 2011 - 2012 school year, 13,581 units of blood were collected at Project Lifeline blood drives. Ninety-eight high schools participate in Project Lifeline, and 16.2 percent of Blood Assurance donors are under the age of 20.
The 2012 Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship recipients are: Rebecca Michaels, North Sand Mountain School; Hannah Bradford, Dade County High School; Jeb Johnson, Soddy Daisy High School; Natalie Tracy, Gordon Lee High School;, Madeline Jorges, Trion High School; Amelia Sarrell, Dade County High School; Conner Kapperman, Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences; Maggie Bain, Lincoln County High School; Derek Roberts, Polk County High School; Hannah Wimberley, St. Andrew's-Sewanee School and Kellie Day, Soddy Daisy High School.
In addition to the Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship, Blood Assurance presents six trophies annually to commemorate outstanding efforts by area high schools. Schools are divided into divisions based on the number of graduating seniors. Division I is for larger schools with 150 or more graduating seniors. Division II is for smaller schools with 149 seniors or less.
Division I (more than 150 graduating seniors)
Most Donations: Southeast Whitfield High - 634
Highest Participation: Southeast Whitfield High 298%
Highest Improvement: Ringgold High 166%
Division II (149 or less graduates)
Most Donations: Dade County - 379
Highest Participation: Richard Hardy 400%
Highest Improvement: North Sand Mountain 304%
For more information on Project Lifeline or the Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship, please visit www.bloodassurance.org or call 800-962-0628.
Blood Assurance held a luncheon to honor the 2012 recipients of the Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship. Front row, left to right: Amelia Sarrell, Dade County High School; Hannah Bradford, Dade County High School; Maggie Bain, Lincoln County High School. Second row, left to right: Jeb Johnson, Soddy Daisy High School; Kellie Day, Soddy Daisy High School; Conner Kapperman, Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences; Natalie Tracy, Gordon Lee High School; Derek Roberts, Polk County High School and Rebecca Michaels, North Sand Mountain School.
(Not pictured: Hannah Wimberly, St. Andrew's-Sewanee School and Madeline Jorges, Trion High School)
Crystal Green Memorial Scholarship Recipients Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 5 hospitalized in Forsyth Co. chemical spill
- Deal wrote recommendation for Ga. ethics chief
- Recount ordered in Ga. school superintendent race
- Georgia pushes adults to finish college programs
- Unaccompanied youths enroll in Dalton schools
- In GOP South, pushback against Obama climate rules
- Latest Georgia news, sports, business and entertainment
- Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death
- Man killed in plane crash on beach was stationed at Georgia base
- Soil type could impede industry on Georgia's coast
- Billions of GI Bill funds go to for-profit schools
- Broken water main that flooded UCLA is shut off
- Crews make gains on 2 California wildfires
- Parents of slain USC student urge security boost
- Obama eats ribs with 4 Kansas City letter writers
- Motion filed to dismiss penis amputation suit
- Bellagio robbery suspect faces court Wednesday
- Parents: Didn't suspect kidnapped boy's aunt
- Pipe flooding UCLA will take hours to shut off
- Judge gives NY carjacker a break in long sentence
- Brown: California willing to shelter more migrants
- Khmer Rouge tribunal readies way for genocide case
- Australian airline passengers told to flush drugs
- Australia rules out new sanctions against Russia
- 6 die when swept away by swollen river in Mexico
- Heavy gunfire in Libyan capital
- Heaviest-yet Israeli bombardment kills at least 100, knocks out power plant
- Investigators still can't reach plane site
- Canada: Chinese hackers infiltrated government org
- Officials blame Colombia power outage on rebels
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!