Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city.
Thursday: Sunny and ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rome leaders consider trail to link area colleges
- Georgia man gets 7 years in Texas weapons case
- Man charged with assault when online romance sours
- Woman, 61, killed in Kennesaw house fire
- Hallway brawls prompt new security at Ga. school
- Atlanta unveiling new customer service program
- Drone operation course to be offered at GA school
- Elections official to participate in Emory event
- Body of eastern Georgia teen found in wooded area
- Furniture retailer building west Georgia facility
- Beaten Giants fan says he wants to walk normally
- Ohio mother held dead baby while talking to police
- Bobcat that escaped from New Jersey home captured
- Attorney: North Korean detainee was treated well
- Doctors differ on preteen suspect's mental state
- New Ebola 'czar' to meet with Obama, top aides
- Survey: Harassment a common part of online life
- Ed loosens eligibility for parent loan program
- 3rd spacewalk in 3 weeks at space station
- Central Pennsylvania fire kills scores of snakes
- Albania PM seeks to ease tensions with Serbia
- Police: Soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Police arrest 2 people on terror charges
- 10 men acquitted in Kurdish terror finance trial
- Police: soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Police: Man shot at war memorial in Ottawa
- Bomb explodes outside university in Egypt capital
- Iraqi Kurds authorize sending fighters to Kobani
- Iranians protest acid attacks in central city
- 9 migrants injured in Spain border fence rush
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!