Tuesday: Morning cloud cover giving way to a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the low/mid 80s with a light west wind. Still a slight ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Wilson, Woods draw contrasts at education forum
- Atlanta airport closing runway for maintenance
- Pair identified in metro Atlanta murder-suicide
- Deal, Carter duel over education at Atlanta forum
- Ebola patient in Omaha continues improving
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault
- Ex-teacher indicted in molestation case
- 2 arrested in fatal shooting over game system
- Man sent to prison in child pornography case
- Woman found shot to death in DeKalb County
- Northern California wildfire burns 100 homes
- Burger King wants Hawaii needle lawsuit dismissed
- Hundreds flee 3 California wildfires; homes burn
- U.Va. chief: 'Deep concern' for missing student
- White House backs use of body cameras by police
- Students sickened, carbon monoxide leak suspected
- Cat Stevens announces 6-city US concert tour
- Boa constrictor captured after escaping Idaho cage
- Lava creeps toward lots in Big Island subdivision
- Cuomo, Christie discuss the region's terror threat
- UN envoy warns Libya on brink of prolonged strife
- Sierra Leone: WHO too slow to help doc with Ebola
- Merkel: Russia must withdraw troops from Ukraine
- As many as 700 migrants killed in Mediterranean in recent days
- Pope meets with Argentine judge in Dirty War probe
- Egypt says Suez Canal expansion fully funded
- Bombings kill 8 people in Iraq
- Diplomat: UN Security Council to meet on Ebola
- Mosul residents keep children out of school as militants issue new curriculum
- 25 killed in clashes in northern Yemen
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!