CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 2 Savannah policemen among Reservists going to Middle East
- Savannah police investigating shooting, crash
- FAA inspector charged with dodging security; caught with gun
- Man shot in chest in Macon
- Funerals for 2 Georgia Southern students killed in crash
- Man found stabbed to death in Roswell
- Atlanta developer plans to add 6 stories to high rise
- Interstate 285 reopened after charter-bus accident
- 7-foot bear breaks out of Ellijay garage
- Uber, Lyft refuse to require driver fingerprints
- Police: Baltimore violence from outside 'agitators'
- Liotta recalls Scorsese discussion before 'Goodfellas' shoot
- Teen, missing for 4 days, lived off school's fruit trees
- The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Not a Clinton pile-on
- Search goes on for missing fisherman; was rescued last year
- The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Paul on abortion
- Autopsy: Indiana University student died from head injuries
- Nephew killed as people gather for homicide victim's funeral
- US sending disaster response team, $1 million aid to Nepal
- Angst about Iran deal at GOP Jewish meeting
- Big aftershock in Nepal as aid begins arriving
- Car bombings kill at least 6 civilians in, around Baghdad
- Magnitude 6.7 aftershock hits Nepal, causes panic
- Philippines urges ASEAN to stop China in South China Sea
- Eds: Links new photos. With AP Photos. AP Video.
- French leader visits gas chamber to honor Nazi camp victims
- Breakaway Turkish Cypriots vote for leader in runoff
- Eds: Updates with report by aid group. With AP Photos. AP Video.
- More aftershocks as aid begins arriving
- Eds: Recasts throughout. With AP Photos. AP Video.
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!