Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low to mid 90s. Light South wind.
Tonight: A fair to partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the upper 60s.
Humidity levels continue to climb for Friday and into the Labor Day weekend. ... More...
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman gives birth inside Walmart near Atlanta
- Sheriff's captain accused of crimes involving teen
- Ga. lane closures to be lifted for holiday weekend
- Atlanta Audubon Society plans tour
- Police: Man shot by officer after stabbing another
- Ga. study committee examines medical marijuana
- Ala. man sentenced in illegal pesticide case
- Authorities say officer fired after being cut
- Education secretary plans visit to Georgia
- Pastor defies town's rules, puts up large sign
- Santa Fe City Council votes to decriminalize pot
- Revised estimate of Q2 growth likely to stay solid
- Omaha police bullet kills `Cops' film crew member
- University bets $10 million on poor city's kids
- Woman IDs dead, learns about Native beliefs
- Tripping seniors on purpose to stop future falls
- Survey: Americans' pessimism on economy has grown
- Deal reached to sell supermarket chain to ex-CEO
- Pediatric nurse charged with molesting 2-month-old
- Boston suspect's sister charged in NY bomb threat
- Strategic Ukraine town under rebel control
- Egypt raises new charge against ex-president Morsi
- China vows to respond to US surveillance flights
- Indonesia, Australia sign new security agreement
- Filipino bishops to counter Islamic State group
- France rules out Assad as partner in terror fight
- Poll: Israelis skeptical of PM Gaza victory claim
- Turkey's Erdogan to be sworn in as president
- Australia, Malaysia reach search cost-sharing deal
- 6 dead, 21 missing in landslide in southwest China
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!