CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Chatham County sheriff hires consultants after jail death
- Navy sub sailor pleads guilty to videotaping female officers
- Armed robbers invade Buckhead home, threaten family
- $2M for beating death of girl, 5, by former soldier father
- Fire destroys Mexican restaurant in Marietta
- Forecasters tracking severe thunderstorms in Georgia
- High court to consider appeal over exclusion of black jurors
- Severe thunderstorms possible as rain moves into Georgia
- Cellphone thieves targeting college students in Atlanta
- Person of interest in Macon woman's death found dead
- Man sentenced in death of woman who called 911 during attack
- Pacific Gas & Electric Co. president announces retirement
- Court hearing in NYC on whether chimps have rights
- Eds: With AP Photos.
- MacArthur grants aimed at reducing numbers in US jails
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Eds: Trims information on number of missing. With BC-US--Severe Weather and BC-US--Severe Weather-The Latest. With AP Photos.
- By the numbers: Severe weather in Texas, Oklahoma, Mexico
- Judge orders State to release more Clinton emails in June
- FBI agent wounded while searching for 9-year-old girl
- China touts success of crackdown in restive Muslim region
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing arrested in Mexico
- 4 militants killed in attack on guesthouse in upscale neighborhood of Afghan capital
- China coal production falls in first 4 months of year
- Police catch 175 looters in China's biggest artifact find
- Militants lay siege to guesthouse in Afghanistan's capital
- Envoys from S. Korea, US and Japan discuss N. Korean threat
- Australia warns children of foreign fighters risk charges
- Puerto Rico lawmakers give final nod to sales tax increase
- Heavy gunfire, explosions are heard in an upscale neighborhood in Afghanistan's capital, Kabul
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!