CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts has received an $8,950 grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga (CFGC) to go towards replacing damaged library books.
“We are thrilled to receive this gift from the Community Foundation. It will go a long way toward purchasing new books for our students,” stated CSLA principal Krystal Scarbrough.
The school’s aging library received replacement flooring and repairs to a leaking wall over the winter break. Parents and teachers painted the walls and moved books and furniture in and out over the renovation. They discovered that water damage from heavy storms over the last year had caused mildew to spread throughout the 20 year-old book collection. Librarian Charlotte Vlassis and parent Greta Gentle applied for the CFGC grant, hoping to replace items that had to be discarded and to make additional improvements. Hamilton County Department of Education does not include library materials in the schools’ budgets.
Donations are also being accepted to continue the library upgrade, including adding technology. Currently, the library’s technology serving 385 students K-8 consists of 5 netbooks. To make a donation, anyone may visit www.causeway.org and look for their heading: “Take CSLA from the Moldy Page to the Digital Age.” No donation is too small, Mrs. Scarbrough explains. For every donation above ten, Causeway will make a 10% additional contribution.
CSLA is a Paideia magnet school in eastern Hamilton County serving grades K-8. The school’s philosophy of teaching and learning focuses on all students receiving essential knowledge through a well-rounded liberal arts education in an environment of caring and lifelong learning.
CSLA Receives Community Foundation Grant
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Off-duty police officer, infant killed in 2-vehicle crash
- Drone supporters say ban around Georgia Capitol goes too far
- Augusta nonprofit helping students gets accreditation
- Demolition work begins on homes near Robins Air Force Base
- Study: Ga. teachers, state workers pay more for health care
- Police investigating Norcross home invasion; 1 man shot
- Kennesaw man dies of injuries from fight
- Officials warn of firecrackers' impact on veterans with PTSD
- 3 sentenced in metro Atlanta tax fraud scheme
- Boy, 7, killed during violent July 4 celebrations in Chicago
- Wild Walk gives NY museum visitors treetop view of forest
- Woman struck by bullet while at Pennsylvania amusement park
- To rename or not? Institutions reconsider honors for racists
- Large wave washes out Jersey shore town's fireworks display
- Haley says church shooting will forever change her outlook
- Pair of lions kept as pets by Gaza family en route to Jordan
- California water rates rise as cities lose money in drought
- 3 people dead, 3 missing after boat capsizes in Ohio River
- 320-acre wildfire threatens homes in Northern California
- Burkina Faso: Father wants justice in sex abuse case
- Israeli Cabinet reverses policy easing conversion to Judaism
- Indian coast guard seizes Iranian boat, arrests 12 crew
- US-led coalition carries out series of deadly strikes targeting IS militants in Raqqa
- The Latest: No matter the result, Greece's way ahead unclear
- Syrian troops, Hezbollah enter rebel-held mountain resort
- Land mine blast in east Ukraine kills 5 soldiers, wounds 3
- The Latest: Solid turnout seen so far in Greek bailout vote
- San Antonio Missions receive world heritage status from UN
- Top US, Iranian diplomats locked in nuclear talks
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!