Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Authorities identify pregnant woman killed by car
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- 2 Fantasy 5 players win $96,813.93 jackpots
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for environmental work
- Tropical depression forms in central Atlantic
- Georgia university launching new MBA program
- US job-training review emphasizes data, employers
- Clippers CEO and Shelly Sterling to testify
- Montana judge to be censured over rape comments
- Hopkins pays $190M in pelvis exam pix settlement
- Ward scheduled for court on assault charge
- Lawmakers face long to-do list, uncertain success
- Cooler weather aids crews fighting Washington fire
- Evangelical group sets sights on secular Portland
- Theater shooting lawyers in court to discuss video
- VA nominee McDonald goes before Congress
- Trains collide in South Korea; 1 dead, dozens hurt
- T-shirt typo turns heads at Mandela bicycle ride
- Court rules France responsible in toxic algae case
- UK gov't announces inquiry on Russian spy death
- Norway honors victims of 2011 terror attacks
- Berlin bans anti-Semitic slogan at Gaza protests
- 66 reported hurt in Turkish tanker truck explosion
- EU meets as some countries seek tougher sanctions
- Egypt calls for Israeli, Palestinian peace talks
- Cambodian political rivals say agreement reached
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Golf Card2014 Golf Card
FORE! Get your Golf Card now to enjoy 10 rounds of golf at great local courses for one low price! CHECK OUT THE DEAL.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!