Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police address mix-up leaves man, officer wounded, dog dead
- Police investigate double shooting in DeKalb County
- Expo planned for military veterans, others looking for work
- Police: Tip leads to new search for teen missing since 2007
- Atlanta sale features items seized by feds from bridal shop
- Georgia parole board releases transgender inmate who sued
- The Latest: Names released in Atlanta police shootings
- The Latest: Neighbor says man shot by police was watching TV
- Missouri court throws out dispute over Ferguson prosecution
- FDA issues warning letters to powdered caffeine distributors
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Plea ends former police chief's case in death of black man
- Tropical Storm Fred is weakening in the Atlantic
- 1st Freddie Gray hearing since 6 officers charged in death
- Opening statements near in trial of Alabama officer
- Clerk in gay marriage fight once unlikely to wage moral war
- Oldest survivor of San Francisco earthquake of 1906 dies
- American recalls French train attack on Jimmy Fallon show
- California DOJ to unveil website with law enforcement data
- Obama visit puts spotlight on rough plight in rural Alaska
- 3 migrants or refugees missing off Greek island found safe
- The Latest on Thailand: Arrest warrant for Turkish man
- UN envoy notes 'tangible results' in talks with Libya envoys
- Congo warlord Bosco Ntaganda goes on trial at ICC
- Report: 11 migrants drown, 5 missing off Turkish coast
- The Latest on Thailand: Police say suspect speaks Turkish
- Suspected US drone strike kills 6 in northwest Pakistan
- Eurostar train turned back amid disruptions around Calais
- Masked men kidnap 16 Turkish workers in Baghdad
- Hungary railway station remains closed to migrants
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!