Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s ... More...
Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- More than 335,000 have voted early in Georgia
- Woman at Ga. homeless camp wounded in knife attack
- Police: Mom, infant rescued from Savannah river
- Hacker gets prison for cyberattack stealing $9.4M
- Emory confirms Ebola no longer detected in nurse
- Emory: Tests no longer detect Ebola virus in nurse
- Ala court voids same-sex child visitation order
- Va. man wanted in fatal shooting caught in Georgia
- NY, New Jersey issue stronger Ebola quarantine
- Woman quarantined in New Jersey develops fever
- Feds: Nothing new on Tsarnaev, 3 slayings
- Navajo officials mull election amid confusion
- Official identifies gunman in high school attack
- 7 hurt when car smashes into California restaurant
- 3 California sheriffs' deputies shot, 1 dies
- Father of country star Reba McEntire dies
- Jury says castrated sex offender should be freed
- Judge rules Oklahoma abortion law can take effect
- Brazil presidential rivals face off in debate
- Malaysian officer back to face New Zealand charges
- Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai
- Dominican agents detain woman with $70K in stomach
- 4 dead during attempted Dominican prison break
- Public donations pay for Argentine national park
- Mozambique's ruling party wins presidential race
- Nurse: Toddler who brought Ebola to Mali dies
- Putin accuses US of undermining global stability
- Dominican Republic rejects int'l court decision
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!