Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DeKalb County CEO found guilty of perjury, extortion charge
- Source: Fire at South Carolina black church wasn't arson
- Thieves make off with semi loaded with liquor and wine
- Macon leaders consider future of Confederate statue
- Man gunned down inside Atlanta nightclub
- Another black church in South Carolina burns; cause unknown
- Ga. troopers ramping up enforcement during holiday weekend
- Man gets life for killing ex-girlfriend who dated his wife
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Tennessee store owner replaces 'No Gays Allowed' sign
- Mom accused of contaminating son's IV gets 6 years in prison
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies, restore ties
- Crews inspecting Ohio bridge after morning tanker fire
- Chicago mayor to detail $200 million in school district cuts
- Reports: School bus driver fired after student dragging
- By PATRICK SEMANSKY
- Vintage seaplane stranded near Gulf beach during movie shoot
- Tree falls on woman walking to car after storms, killing her
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies to restore ties
- American dean fired from Russian university after TV show
- 9 Azerbaijani citizens sentenced for joining Islamic State
- UK police investigating missing family of 12 feared in Syria
- US Speaker in Poland for talks on trade, security
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash
- Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune
- Israel arrests dozens of Hamas operatives in West Bank
- Media rights group sues German spy agency
- Mural of rainbow flag sparks rare Palestinian debate on gays
- World mayors, others pitch in toward global climate accord
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!