Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Dunwoody hosting citizenship ceremony on Independence Day
- GA day care faces repairs after vehicle slams into building
- 2 Ga. men plead guilty in militia plot against US government
- Dispute over MLK Bible, Nobel prize headed for mediation
- Civil War trench to be preserved in Marietta development
- 4 rescued after car veers into DeKalb County river
- GA daycare facing repairs after vehicle slams into building
- Former Darien police officer indicted on theft charge
- Police confirm body found off Miami coast is missing woman
- Man sentenced in death of metro Atlanta cab driver
- Eds: Reorders photos. With AP Photos.
- Doctor: Suspect in stabbing better off in juvenile court
- Police: Malnourished, abused 5-year-old Michigan girl dies
- Teacher to face trial on charges he ID'd pupil in sex case
- NYC judge hears arguments on the rights of 2 chimpanzees
- Ex-Madoff Trader sentenced to 10 months home confinement
- Latest on Wal-Mart shooting: Father of injured woman shocked
- The Latest on IS: Detainees killed at theater in Syria ruins
- Baby in respiratory distress found at Atlantic City casino
- Baby found at Atlantic City casino
- Germany wants UK in EU, but warns of limits on concessions
- Floods in northwest Romania leave 1 dead, dozens evacuated
- North Korean couple taken by Libyan Islamic State stronghold
- Holocaust meeting calls on nations to do more for survivors
- Outfits on wheels: In Zimbabwe, cars are used clothing shops
- Bomb blast kills senior police officer in Egypt's Sinai
- Moldova police find Molotov cocktails, detonators, masks
- Int'l court case against Ivory Coast ex-1st lady admissible
- Burundi urges citizens to donate money to pay for elections
- Falling museum visitor grabs at, smashes ancient Greek vase
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!