Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate remains unchanged at 6.4 percent
- 1 person killed, 3 others wounded in DeKalb County shooting
- Plane Train at Atlanta's airport to get major overhaul
- Salman Rushdie to deliver lecture on human rights at Emory
- Kennesaw State to host high school science bowl
- Before harbor gets deepened, Confederate shipwreck must go
- Sen. David Perdue tapped to lead 2 Senate subcommittees
- Georgia House leaders to introduce transportation plan
- Sen. David Perdue tapped to lead Senate subcommittee
- Convictions tossed for 9 South Carolina men who integrated lunch counter in 1961
- Now on death row, Fort Hood gunman Hasan to appear in court
- Man faces execution in Texas for 1996 strangling death
- Fugitive treasure hunter to appear in Florida federal court
- Military judge weighs restrictions on Gitmo female guards
- Attorney General nominee moves closer to confirmation
- Police barracks ambush suspect due to enter plea
- Most of Hawaii's coral recover from mass bleaching
- Squatters slow Detroit's plan to bulldoze way to prosperity
- Top US colleges push for more diverse students from China
- Measles outbreak with Disney park origins grows to 95 cases
- Yemen rebels seize military base outside capital
- Thai junta blocks discussion of media censorship
- Bulgaria extradites man suspected of link to French attacks
- Kuwaiti gets 5 years in jail for Twitter posts
- Attacks kill 9 people in Iraq
- Philippines warns ASEAN over China reef reclamation
- Italy lawmakers vote for new president in test for Renzi
- Uganda: Mass trial over alleged terror ties to start
- WHO: Ebola response shifts to ending epidemic
- Boat carrying migrants sinks near Bangladesh; 20 missing
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!