Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at email@example.com for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- A look at the 2 NYC officers killed in ambush
- 13 charged in Atlanta police protest
- Man found unresponsive in truck later dies
- Charges expected in fatal Cobb County crash
- Fewer Georgians pursuing careers in education
- Company plans to rebuild GA plant damaged in fire
- States trying to lure lawyers into rural practice
- 2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash
- Coach won't be sidelined by Lou Gehrig's disease
- Usher seeks restraining order against woman
- What's being said about killings of 2 NYC officers
- A look at the 2 NYC officers killed in ambush
- Timeline of events before and after NY cop deaths
- AP sources: Yates tapped for deputy AG
- Mokrzycki, former AP polling director, dies at 52
- Obama offers help to NYPD after 2 officers killed
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger backlash
- Candles, NYPD cap mark spot of officers' deaths
- Timeline of events before, after NYPD cop deaths
- Christie to Obama: Demand Cuba return cop killer
- Exit poll: Ex-regime official is Tunisia's new president
- Egypt court bars pictures in homosexuality trial
- Egypt group to register under restrictive law
- Tunisians votes in historic presidential runoff
- Boko Haram camp dismantled in Cameroon, army says
- Gulf stocks climb with Dubai gaining 9.9 percent
- Pakistan says arrests made in Taliban school carnage
- Belarusian independent news sites blocked
- Egypt President awards medal to retired spy chief
- Greek prime minister open to 2015 early elections
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!