Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
The Dalton Police Department will host another session of the popular RAD Systems Women's Self Defense Class in January. Previous sessions of the class, which is taught by Dalton Police Training Officer Brian Pack, have been well-received by women who have participated.
The course will take place over four nights in January (January 15, 17, 29, and 31st) from 6 pm until 9 pm. The January 15th class will meet at the Dalton Police Services Center, and the others will be held at the new Mack Gaston Community Center on Fredrick Street. The course is being offered free of charge. The class is limited to 20 participants, and the course is designed for women ages 13 and up. However, women younger than age 18 may participate, but must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver to enroll.
The program is for women only -- wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends -- and all who successfully complete the course will have a lifetime return policy allowing them to participate in any R.A.D System program to refresh their skills at any time. The 12-hour course educates women on safety strategies to minimize their chances of becoming a victim, and physical tactics aimed at disabling an attacker long enough to escape. Officer Pack, certified in the R.A.D System of Self Defense, will wear a padded "Red Man" suit for some of the exercises which allow the women to practice defensive maneuvers they have learned in the class without the fear of injuring the instructor.
"Our ultimate goal is to promote safety and build confidence," said Officer Pack. "Our hope is that no one will ever have to use the skills theyâll learn in this class, but we want them to feel safe wherever they go. We're not teaching people how to fight, but to have some skills they can use to create enough of a diversion to create distance and get away if they ever find themselves in a dangerous situation."
An application for the class is available online at the Dalton Police Blog (daltonpdblog.org). The link can be found on the left hand side of the screen at the bottom of the "Links" section under "Women’s Self Defense Class Application." Please apply for the class only if you can attend all sessions of the class.
Women interested in the class may also email Officer Brian Pack at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.Dalton PD To Host Women's Self Defense Class
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Kennesaw State celebrates 100,000th graduate
- Northwest Georgia college banning tobacco on campus
- Thomson teenager drowns in McDuffie County chalk mine pond
- Grand jury to review Clayton County sheriff shooting case
- The Latest: Pilot calls search for adrift boys heartbreaking
- Judge refuses dismissal motion in 2007 killing
- Democrats consider distance from Jefferson, Jackson
- Only small increase in US girls getting cervical cancer shot
- 7 more sentenced in National Guard recruiting scam in Texas
- Feds release updated strategy against AIDS in America
- Attack in West Bank kills Palestinian child, homes torched
- More than just Cecil; big troubles for king of the jungle
- Despite bombing, Islamic State is no weaker than a year ago
- Congress heading on vacation, putting off messy decisions
- Dig returns to artifact-rich Colonial American site in NY
- Federal judge takes nuanced approach in US terrorism cases
- Governor allows parole for California school bus hijacker
- Albuquerque Fire Department dispatcher's license suspended
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Governor weighs parole for California school bus hijacker
- Designer Alexander Wang leaves Balenciaga after 3 years
- Wikileaks says US spied on Japanese government, companies
- Suicide bomber strikes at Maiduguri market in Nigeria
- Student protesters sit-in at Taiwan Education Ministry
- Turkey: 2 policemen, 2 PKK militants killed in clash
- Afghan Taliban release statement praising new leader
- Israeli military: child killed in West Bank attack
- Aquino chooses Roxas as Philippine presidential candidate
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations
- Former top Chinese general suspected of corruption
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!