Tonight: Clear and cool with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high ... More...
Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Deal set to sign bill expanding gun rights in Ga.
- More guilty pleas planned in dog fighting probe
- Savannah beekeeper rescues swarm at restaurant
- Georgia man pleads not guilty in deadly ND crash
- Atlanta Public Schools approves record budget
- Grand jury: Deadly use of force unauthorized
- Delay sought in loud music killing trial
- Georgians urged to turn in unused medications
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for green initiatives
- Drug dog bites Ga. deputy during attempted selfie
- United flight diverts to LA with engine problem
- Judge denies mistrial in killings of Minn. teens
- Soldier convicted in WikiLeaks case gets new name
- Pop star Chris Brown's DC trial delayed for months
- Ex-CEO admits stealing from prominent NYC charity
- 3 charged with sending chemical equipment to Syria
- Sinkhole in Florida seems to be opening again
- Labor Dept. cuts levels of allowable coal dust
- Court won't overturn death sentence for Ky. man
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Dutch scramble jets after Russian bombers approach
- Bahrain moves to deport Shiite cleric
- Ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Colombia president reinstates ousted Bogota mayor
- Guyana residents seek improvements to 911 system
- Official: Debris is not likely to be from plane
- Indonesian general says his flashy watch is a fake
- Poland holds security exercise, 1st in decades
- Yemen examines DNA of slain al-Qaida militants
- Sri Lanka to deport UK tourist with Buddha tattoo
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!