Tonight: Scattered evening t-showers, then a better chance of showers and storms late tonight. Lows near 70.
Thursday: ... More...
Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Tropical depression approaching Lesser Antilles
- DeKalb District Attorney to receive national honor
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Ga. group to address jail gangs, contraband
- Ga. lottery turns 21, launches Kia promotion
- Close race in GOP runoff for Ga. schools post
- Wilson wins Dem primary for Ga. superintendent
- Carter wins GOP runoff for Kingston's House seat
- Veteran says he was forgotten in VA clinic
- 2 police cars collide when officer runs red light
- Jury to reconvene in Ventura defamation case
- Opening statements set in porch shooting trial
- 1 dead, 2 injured by SW Fla. lightning strike
- Study: Many heavy kids think they're normal weight
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's victims
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Young MH17 victim has eerie premonition of crash
- Agents get subsidized 'Obamacare' using fake IDs
- Somali lawmaker shot dead in drive-by shooting
- Abu Sayyaf militants free anti-poverty workers
- Americans aplenty as UK's Booker Prize goes global
- UN rights chief: Strong possibility of Gaza crimes
- School head arrested in India after girl, 6, raped
- Kerry cites progress in Gaza cease-fire talks
- Typhoon weakens after landing in southeast China
- Bodies of 1st crash victims leave Ukraine
- Afghanistan criticizes Pakistan; policeman killed
- Neo-Nazi group banned in Germany's Bavaria state
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!