Today: Sunny with below average temperatures for mid April. An afternoon high from the around 63 degrees. ESE wind at 10-15 mph.
Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. But, most areas locally should be above freezing. An overnight ... More...
Dalton Schools Recognized as Reward Schools
Three Dalton schools have been recognized as some of the highest performing schools in Georgia based on state assessments.
Brookwood and Westwood elementary schools were two of only six northwest Georgia schools recognized as Highest Performing Schools. Only 78 schools statewide received this honor. Dalton High School was named a High-Progress School for its improvements in performance and progress. Dalton High was one of only two high schools recognized in northwest Georgia. The Reward Schools honors are part of the state’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) flexibility waiver.
“These schools are shining examples of what we can achieve in public education in Georgia,” said State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge. “I want to take what’s working at our Reward Schools and replicate that in every school in the state. These are the schools making education work for all Georgians.”
“It is an honor to be chosen as a Rewards school,” said Angela Garrett, principal of Westwood School. “Our staff design lessons together and integrate subject areas to make learning more authentic for children.” Garrett credits the district’s use of a literacy framework for building children’s confidence in reading. “We’ve seen an increase in children choosing to read informational books and that has had a direct effect on their learning. Being a Rewards school is affirmation that we need to continue listening to our students and creating new and innovative ways to offer the standards to help them learn.”
“Receiving High-Performing status from the state is another affirmation of the work we do with students and families each day,” said Celeste Martin, principal of Brookwood School. “Our staff is truly committed to knowing our students, working together, and providing engaging work for students. Our parents and families are wonderfully supportive of our efforts and volunteer in many capacities. It is through our partnership and commitment to improvement that we excel. Brookwood is appreciative and proud to be part of the Dalton Public Schools team!”
A Highest-Performing School is among the 5 percentage of Title I of schools in the state that has the highest absolute performance over three years for the “all students” group on statewide assessments. A High-Progress School is among the 10 percentage of Title I schools in the state that is making the most progress in improving the performance of the “all students” group over three years on the statewide assessments.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Thousands using new Ga. online voter registration
- US transportation secretary visits Atlanta
- No injuries reported from building's falling glass
- FEMA chief to address US hurricane conference
- Up to 100 students hit by blast of pepper spray
- Moniz raised MOX alternatives with Russia
- SC seeks ruling in nuclear fuel funding lawsuit
- Pedestrian struck by car, killed in Cobb County
- Man sentenced to hard labor for indecent exposure
- Heavy rain leads to sewage problems in Valdosta
- Clinton White House documents to be released
- Officials investigate response time in 911 killing
- Police: Utah woman gave birth at home
- Feds: Bomb suspect not entitled to '11 murder file
- 4th Mexican cartel associate charged in Chicago
- Ex-California city leader gets 12 years in prison
- Man charged with marathon hoax sent to psychiatric facility
- Va. Tech pays US fines related to '07 killings
- Boston Marathon organizers confident of safe race
- Victims in Texas blast choose closure over answers
- Mexico nabs No. 2 in Beltran Leyva gang
- Bosnians see families excavated from mass grave
- Prominent human rights lawyer detained in Saudi
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Survivors describe escape from sinking ferry
- Detained Berlusconi ally taken ill in Lebanon
- Argentine zoo shows off white tiger triplets
- Apology for UN refusal to stop Rwanda genocide
- UN deploys Ugandan guard unit in Somali capital
- 20 killed as Islamic extremists rampage in Nigeria
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!