Tonight: Partly cloudy with a few showers. Low in the mid to upper 60s.
Saturday: Partly to mostly cloudy with showers ... More...
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 1 person injured in Savannah shooting
- Nunn asks for 5 debates in Senate race
- 2 US Ebola victims to arrive at metro Atlanta base
- Fund set up for woman who was attacked on trail
- Duke: Oconee didn't do everything to prevent leak
- 1st piece in place for zip line over Chattahoochee
- Brookhaven police make arrests after man is killed
- Tropical Storm Bertha approaching the Caribbean
- Low cost carrier to begin flying between Ga., Va.
- Ga. juvenile justice dept. adds ombudsman's office
- Ebola forces Mormon missionaries from West Africa
- 2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital
- Rare whale fossil pulled from California backyard
- States try to land Tesla despite Nevada groundwork
- How the Dow Jones average fared Friday
- Fired Ohio band head's backers sets up legal fund
- House moves toward vote on border bill
- Lab who walked 30 miles back home adopted
- After chokehold death, NYC mayor sends sympathy
- Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
- China bladder trade sending porpoise to extinction
- Searchers find remains at Malaysia Airlines crash site
- Remains of Air Algerie crash victims now in Paris
- Iran opens first state-run alcohol rehab center
- 62 killed in Gaza; Israeli soldier feared captured
- Uruguayan pot marketplace may go up in smoke
- UN chief blames Hamas for breaking cease-fire
- Gunmen kill another Somali lawmaker in Mogadishu
- Tunisia closes borders with Libya after violence
- Investigators set up base near wreckage of Malaysia Airlines plane
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!