Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Third Ga. man pleads guilty in anti-government militia plot
- Thunderstorms, high winds expected in north, central Ga.
- Man fatally shot by central Ga. sheriff's deputy
- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama
- Suspect arrested in 2002 death of Georgia college professor
- Attorney expecting charges against Ga. officer in shooting
- Tracy Morgan settles suit with Wal-Mart over fatal crash
- Ex-Ga. coroner pleads guilty to using dead man's bank card
- Man serving 105 years for shooting police officer found dead
- Atlanta man accused of killing wife found dead
- Pennsylvania man gets 7 1/2 years in counterfeiting, scams
- Woman, 51, pleads guilty in politics-fueled drunken killing
- California man beaten by deputies on video faces charges
- CDC: 150 possibly had contact with Lassa fever victim
- Science magazine retracts study on voters' gay-rights views
- Alabama, feds reach agreement over alleged prison abuse
- Census: No. of Americans on assistance may be leveling off
- Father charged after 3-year-old son shoots 1-year-old sister
- Latest on flooding: Flooding threatens North Texas homes
- The Latest: Holmes judge mulls issue after doctor testimony
- 2 ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees to tie the knot in Uruguay
- Lithuania wants NATO battalion as `security guarantee'
- Oxford University nominates 1st female vice-chancellor
- J Lo looks forward to Morocco's top music festival
- Bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' discrimination verdict
- UK defense chief dismisses nuclear fleet safety worries
- Belarus sentences man with opposition tattoo
- Finland's new justice minister supportive of death penalty
- Airstrikes target Yemen's rebels as fighting rages in east
- Russian opposition leader hospitalized after sudden illness
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!