Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Investigator: 28 forged docs in registration probe
- GA medical center giving free take-home drug tests
- Sale of Rogers' Rangers New York site is completed
- Searchers look for plane in southeast Ala
- Teen accused of bringing gun into school cafeteria
- Savannah considers heat rules for carriage horses
- Man convicted of 1998 killing dies in prison
- UGA to draft preservation plan for school property
- Man found dead in suspicious fire south of Atlanta
- UGA garden to host Shakespeare's plants lecture
- Couple face life in prison in Craigslist slaying
- Police trooper killed in ambush to be laid to rest
- Lawyers due in court in marathon bombing case
- Closing arguments set in Rowland trial
- Scientists monitoring Hawaii lava undertake risks
- APNewsBreak: Border Patrol to test body cameras
- Over 2,000 homes threatened in California fire
- Iran rules out cooperating with US in Iraq
- Over 1,600 homes threatened in California fire
- Journalists criticize White House for 'secrecy'
- International monitors endorse Fiji election
- India, China leaders to discuss trade, investment
- Scotland's independence vote puts UK union on edge
- Japan, neighbors agree to moves to protect eels
- Australian leader warns of planned attack
- US official: Venezuela fighting drug trafficking
- Japan trade deficit falls to $8.8B as imports ebb
- Arrests made in Australian counterterrorism raids
- Israeli rising star quits politics
- Ukraine's president addresses Canadian Parliament
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!