Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Authorities say 4 injured after vehicle hits pedestrians
- Body of airman returned to Ga hometown
- Georgia's transportation, overall tax collections climb
- Woman shot by driver in confrontation on Georgia highway
- Columbus police officer dies from mountain climbing accident
- Woman shot by driver in DeKalb County road rage incident
- 4 shot at Decatur apartment complex; baby critically injured
- Delta evacuates plane in Jamaica after faulty report of fire
- Ga man sentenced to 8 years in death of infant son
- Student arrested in alleged shooting threat at Ga college
- Church gives pizza driver $1,000 tip from collection plate
- Lawsuit: Court illegally jails people who can't pay fines
- Feds: Ex-chief goes to prison for misuse of Tasers in jail
- Parents charged with fatally beating son in New York church
- US says Iraqis now in position to retake Ramadi
- Kansas elections chief files 3 criminal cases under new law
- Names of 18 deceased officers added to NYPD memorial wall
- Sotomayor officiates at same-sex wedding in Washington
- Records: Aide to Michigan congressman arrested in Baltimore
- New Jersey boy, 3, reported missing is found dead near home
- Mexico performs first Mass in indigenous Nahuatl language
- Burkina Faso sets new post-coup election date for Nov. 29
- Panda gives birth to 2 cubs at Toronto Zoo
- The Latest: US condemns Palestinian attacks against Israelis
- The Latest: Czech watchdog condemns asylum conditions
- The Latest: Dutch prosecutors: Tough finding MH-17 witnesses
- Britain scraps $9 million prison deal with Saudi Arabia
- Rescuers find passenger alive after Indonesia chopper crash
- Pakistan executes 9, including 4 brothers
- Taliban withdraw from northern Afghan city
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!