Tonight: A fair sky and warm with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Thursday: Sunny to partly sunny. A little more humid along with just a slight chance for a late day pop up t-shower (especially north & Blue Ridge Mtns). An afternoon high ... More...
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Man shot by officer after stabbing another
- Ga. study committee examines medical marijuana
- Ala. man sentenced in illegal pesticide case
- Authorities say officer fired after being cut
- Education secretary plans visit to Georgia
- Pastor defies town's rules, puts up large sign
- DeKalb plans election to replace ex-official
- Carter picks up support from Ga. teachers' group
- Central Ga. brush fire could burn until next rain
- County eyes changes in tattoo, body piercing rules
- A leader admits guilt in big disability-fraud case
- Woman accused of setting fire with burned bacon
- Police: Diplomat accused of beating, no charges
- Parents: Mom didn't understand abandoning baby
- Cold cash just keeps washing in from ALS challenge
- Vermont bistro scolded for removing its bacon sign
- National Guard completes departure from Ferguson
- Defense rests in corruption trial of ex-governor
- Police: Son of slain woman found at home
- Man accused in serial shootings appears in court
- Uruguayans can now sign up to grow pot at home
- UN panel: Crimes against humanity spread in Syria
- US official warns Ebola outbreak will get worse
- EU to beef up border agency to deal with migrants
- Cypriots protest proposed bank loan legislation
- EU beefs up border agency to deal with migrants
- Kenya rangers murder ivory poachers: report
- Libya's UN envoy warns of 'full-blown civil war'
- Cease-fire holds in Gaza
- Pioneering Egyptian civil rights lawyer dies at 63
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!