Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday ... More...
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Businessman sentenced to prison term in fraud case
- Closing arguments begin in loud music killing case
- 8 Ga. schools receive national achievement honor
- Metro Atlanta woman sentenced in daughter's death
- Romney to attend Georgia fundraiser for Perdue
- Grady Health System gets $30 million grant
- School considers options for Bible verse monument
- Atlanta Symphony president and CEO steps down
- Ga. lawmakers to discuss medical education
- Ga. college smoking ban goes into effect Wednesday
- Refugee plan aimed at Central American minors
- Somali American to be sentenced in terror case
- Elk nose into Grand Canyon water stations
- Myanmar says sectarian violence challenges reforms
- Deadline passes, but Hong Kong leader won't meet with protesters
- AP-Joe Namath-Treatment
- Feds unveil cleanup plan for nuclear waste dump
- Cops: Miami restaurant wasn't licensed as club
- Dead cruise passenger ID'd as South Carolina man
- Index ranks Norway tops for well-being of elderly
- Iranian filmmakers call for nuclear deal
- Lawmaker: Italian spy agency paid Mafia bosses
- Guinea-Bissau leader pardons accused in coup try
- Tunisia presidential vote to feature 27 candidates
- Mexico says 14 of 57 missing students found
- Imprisoned Dutch killer Van der Sloot now a father
- Turkey mulls permit for incursions in Syria, Iraq
- Emirates inks deal to manage Angola's airline
- Guard seizes cocaine haul in Dominican waters
- Wife of Islamic State hostage asks for his release
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!