Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years
- 3 men sentenced to prison in anti-government militia plot
- Police investigate murder-suicide of parents in Georgia
- Georgia man guilty for 2nd time of stealing sea turtle eggs
- Pawn shop sells Jack Kevorkian's assisted suicide van
- Strong winds blamed for 2 deaths in Seattle area
- The Latest: Clinton: Celebrate progress but continue work
- Hammerhead shark sighting prompts California beach closure
- Police: NY mom killed baby girl, lived with body for months
- Missing hiker found alive after 9 days lost in Sierra Nevada
- Police: Mom shot answering front door was likely targeted
- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time
- The Latest: Nancy Pelosi praises New Orleans' progress
- Police: NY woman killed infant, lived with body for 3 months
- El Salvador officials deactivate powerful car bomb
- Dominica digs out from storm damage that killed at least 20
- Lawmakers urge lifting immunity of Guatemalan president
- The Latest: Lebanese group threaten to escalate protests
- Burkina Faso court rejects candidate of former ruling party
- Pakistan army kills 14 suspected militants near Afghanistan
- Young migrant found suffocated in boat off Greek island
- Storm dissipates after killing at least 20 in Caribbean
- Iran president opposes parliament vote on nuclear deal
- Russia denounces Latvian ban on news agency
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!