Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Reed seeks to have former fire chief's lawsuit dismissed
- Georgia religious freedom bill stalls in House committee
- Georgia House and Senate announce deal on autism bill
- Police arrest man in killing of man at Atlanta supermarket
- Police say major meth operation discovered in Atlanta
- Cancer hospital company fails to get OK to expand in Georgia
- Georgia Senate passes controversial ride sharing legislation
- Ga. police chief, assistant chief charged with stealing
- Family of man killed by Smyrna police want independent probe
- Toddler found dead in Lake Sinclair after search
- Little vetting of pilots for mental health, US experts say
- GOP-controlled Senate ok's budget plan
- Senate delays vote on bipartisan bill on Medicare doc fees
- Lawyer: Woman talking to police, kidnapping wasn't hoax
- Pelosi irks some allies to help craft rare bipartisan bill
- Senate edges toward approving GOP balanced budget plan
- Sea otter rescued in California oil spill dies of shark bite
- Utility: Inspectors found faulty work before NYC blast
- Video shows 'hospitality ambassador' beating homeless man
- Victim's mom to confront man with bodies in yard
- Agency: 4,000 fishermen stranded on some Indonesian islands
- Bomb hits police bus in southern Pakistan, wounding 10
- Singapore urges restraint as Lee mourners queue for 10 hours
- Chinese NGO considering legal action over police raid
- North Korea says it has detained 2 South Koreans for spying
- Gulf states ask UN Security Council for Yemen arms embargo
- Vatican sending diplomat to Obama summit with Latin America
- UK prime minister, opposition leader in live TV interviews
- Lawyer: Fugitive Colombian millionaire arrested in Spain
- Co-pilot's apartment, parents' home searched
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!