Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
By Lindsey Derrick
Last fall, Kendall Brown became the first student from Dalton High to attend the State Law Academy. She's also the school's first inductee in the Student Bar of Georgia.
Brown, a 17-year-old junior, attended the academy for three days in Atlanta.
To attend the academy, students must have at least one year experience on Mock Trial. Brown has been on the Dalton High Mock Trial team since she was a freshman and was nominated by this year’s team sponsor, Ms. Minaco Barry, to attend the academy.
Brown said even though she was excited and happy to be nominated, she was worried she would be attending the academy with students who had more experience.
“I was kind of excited, but concerned,” she said. “Some people were coming from private schools, and some had already pass the Student Bar Exam. There was more pressure on them than me.”
During the academy, Brown and the other students took classes on topics discussing objection, hearsay, and witness vs. attorney. They also got to learn about the court system and meet judges and hear of their career experiences.
On the last day of the academy, everyone had to take the Student Bar Exam. To prepare, students were given a binder with a case in it. Brown said she and her roommate practiced the case and acted it out the night before to be ready for the exam.
The test consisted of essays, a case, and multiple choice.
Months after she took the test, Brown learned she had passed the Student Bar Exam.
“I was happy I passed. I didn’t stay up studying for nothing!” Brown said. “The first one to go from a school usually doesn’t pass.”
Brown recently attended the State Finals Awards Ceremony for the Georgia Mock Trial Competition at the Gwinnett County Courthouse to receive her certificate and be inducted into the Student Bar of Georgia. She was one of only 18 students inducted in the Class of 2013.
When Brown graduates next year, she hopes to attend Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia and major in biology with a minor in business.
Dalton’s Brown Passes Student Bar Exam
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- FBI: Hunt continues for suspect in bomb threats against jets
- Ga. inmate who's come close to death 3 times to die Tuesday
- Husband and wife found dead in their home outside Rome
- Man shot to death in Clayton County
- Police ID driver in wrong-way crash that shut down I-85
- Bomb threat against 2 planes at Atlanta's main airport
- Fire crews battling blaze at Douglasville apartment
- South Georgia police search for missing Cobb County couple
- Atlanta mayor: Better transit reduces income inequality
- Police investigate crash that shut down I-85 for 4 hours
- Officials: 4 children fall through ice into pond in Maryland
- Final victim hasn't been found in Md. mansion fire
- Senators: More special ops troops may be needed in Mideast
- Cops: Man kills co-worker, then himself at NYC Home Depot
- Dog gets 2nd chance in Utah after escaping death in Indiana
- Ala group: some judges might give same-sex marriage licenses
- Notre Dame theologian known for books, liberal stands, dies
- Naked violinist sues over arrest in Portland last year
- Suspected burglar falls through ceiling, lands near police
- 2 Marines identified in deadly California helicopter crash
- Obama: Counterterrorism operations in Yemen not affected
- UK reviewing security after hoax call to Cameron
- Tunisia's Islamists will not back new coalition govt
- Iranian lawmakers honor Guard commander over IS victories
- Venezuela blocks meeting of former leaders, opposition chief
- Iran foreign minister summoned to explain stroll with Kerry
- 15 killed in clashes on anniversary of 2011 uprising
- Bombings kill at least 15
- France finds bodies of 6 skiers buried by avalanche in Alps
- Pope: Christian unity means no competing for faithful
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!