Friday: Mostly cloudy with some rain at times again. Even a thundershower possible. High in the low to mid 80s.
Showers and a few storms ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta Public Schools announces pay increases
- GA woman fights charges after car strikes children
- Winner declared in Ga. GOP school's chief recount
- Ebola patient to be transferred to Emory hospital
- Ga. exempted from parts of federal education law
- Children at Macon daycare to be tested for TB
- Usher 'overwhelmed' by supporters of foundation
- Georgia woman charged in widespread tax fraud case
- Dog fatally shot after attacking Ga. boy, officer
- Gov. Deal meets with Latino leaders on immigration
- Congress sends VA overhaul to White House
- Sudan woman who faced death over faith lands in US
- Damaged Delaware bridge on I-495 partially reopens
- Eric Cantor steps down as House majority leader
- Arrested Spider-Man: Characters make Times Square
- Atlantic City hosts free Blake Shelton concert
- WTC steel company CEO arrested on fraud charges
- Medical examiner IDs man in Chicago work shooting
- Ebola outbreak to cast shadow over Obama summit
- Saint's remains return to Hawaii permanently
- Australia welcomes Gaza ceasefire as 'marvelous'
- Officials: US citizen killed by bandits in Haiti
- Power gradually being restored in Colombia city
- Judge won't free Russian accused of hacking in US
- US, UN announce deal on Gaza cease-fire
- Israeli reservists will relieve Gaza troops
- Dutch retrieve DNA of some Ukraine crash victims
- Canada man accused in killings fit to stand trial
- US launches charm offensive against wary India
- French forces arrest Mali jihadist ex-leader
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!