Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Residents escape as fire damages 20 metro Atlanta apartments
- Valdosta police officer fired, accused of stealing shotgun
- Tybee Island seeks grant to survey historic properties
- Employee charged with stealing gifts during Macon weddings
- Augusta man gets life sentence for molesting 6-year-old girl
- Metro Atlanta man shot dead after responding to pit bull ad
- Georgia man convicted in 2012 slaying of 9-year-old neighbor
- Retired Emory law professor gives $1 million to law school
- Ga. animal welfare group hosting watch party, adoption event
- Ga. law enforcement watching for drunk game day drivers
- George Zimmerman assault case dropped; ex-girlfriend recants
- Balloon crew nearing North America matches duration record
- Ex-rap mogul 'Suge' Knight arrested in deadly hit-and-run
- Bats cause mayhem, send people screaming from Arkansas court
- Michigan Lottery drawings have some people seeing double
- Crash on interstate caused by trucker pulling his tooth
- Brother of man in no fly list suit put on terrorist list
- Texas students forced to drop pants after feces found in gym
- Indiana city parking meters besieged with crow droppings
- Prosecutors to speak about dropping case against Detroit cop
- Russian military to get 50 intercontinental missiles
- UN: Destruction of Syria chemical weapons facilities begins
- Saudi authorities delay flogging of blogger for third week
- German World War II panzer ace Otto Carius dies at 92
- France pledges tanks, armored vehicles to NATO force
- American shot and injured in Saudi Arabia
- Report: 6 dead after illegal migrant boat sinks off Morocco
- Artillery fire kills at least 12 civilians in Donetsk
- Report: woman attacks police in Istanbul with automatic fire
- NATO units set for Baltics, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!