Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- New director named for Atlanta's High Museum of Art
- The Latest: Coast Guard: Search for missing boaters ongoing
- Police: Murder-suicide led to deaths of 2 people in Norcross
- Atlanta police chief to head state police chiefs association
- Coast Guard continues search for missing Florida boys
- Man, 71, shot to death outside Family Dollar store
- Coast Guard plane's crew spends long days searching for boys
- Georgia back-to-school tax holiday begins Friday
- Officials: Thieves targeting Atlanta firefighters' vehicles
- Police release photos of movie theater gunman's car
- Florida governor orders inspections of Planned Parenthoods
- The Latest: Ohio governor expresses condolences in slaying
- The Latest: Theater shooter's mom recalls son's happiness
- Cathay Pacific departs Aleutians after emergency landing
- Feds: New York man tried to support Islamic State group
- The Latest: Congressman's wife mentioned in indictment
- On Capitol Hill, GOP fighting itself, instead of Democrats
- Police: Prison escapee still cooperating month after capture
- GOP presses Planned Parenthood aid ban, faces long odds
- House GOP pushes bill to make it easier to fire VA workers
- Argentina's foreign minister questions Iran nuclear deal
- Orphanage founder returns to Haiti as lawyers pursue trial
- Russia vetoes Security Council proposal on MH17 tribunal
- French, German tank makers sign tie-up agreement
- Hunters in court amid growing outrage over lion's death
- Jordan court sentences 8 in alleged Hezbollah attack plot
- Security checkpoint extortion costs Ivory Coast millions
- Outrage grows in Africa and U.S. over killing of protected lion
- Hungary speeding up fence to stop migrants, done by Aug. 31
- Russia formally declares US foundation 'undesirable'
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!