Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- 1st blind hiker to trek Appalachian Trail dies
- Police seek car suspected of Savannah vandalism
- Feds tightening security at Brunswick courthouse
- Savannah police search for driver who damaged park
- GOP Senate candidates will meet in Macon debate
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- Pilot killed in fighter jet crash is identified
- Scores arrested at Massachusetts 'Blarney Blowout'
- Loud noise complaint leads to NYC heroin bust
- Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Dozens arrested at Massachusetts 'Blarney Blowout'
- Maryland governor derides tea party, urges unity
- Long-time Obama aide to leave White House
- Family says Texas man on missing Malaysian plane
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Arms ship captured by Israeli navy arrives at port
- EU foreign policy chief arrives in Iran for talks
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Suicide bomber uses Iraq police Humvee in attack
- Iran president criticizes hard-liners over media
- Pro-Russia forces mount pressure on Ukrainians
- 2 dozen children die in drought-hit south Pakistan
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!