Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Airport plan prompts pollution, noise concerns
- Ethics complaint filed over New York fundraiser
- Jury convicts man of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Woman shot, killed by police south of Atlanta
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Hearing set in Bourbon Street fatal shooting
- Va. Gov.: Blessing more didn't die in tornado
- Obama to attend UN climate summit in September
- US clears Kuwaiti for release from Guantanamo
- Senate backs new commandant for Marine Corps
- Baby dies after being left in hot car in Kansas
- Bigger Russian artillery moving into Ukraine soon
- Man fatally shoots bear attacking him in Alaska
- 2 more teens convicted in Oregon torture case
- Court panel orders subpoena to Vilsack be quashed
- Hezbollah leader vows to support Gazans
- Oil company worker from Malta is abducted in Libya
- Top German court rejects suit on Eichmann files
- Four Palestinians killed during West Bank protests
- Lunch special: Pope lines up for self-serve meal
- Gaza officials accuse Israel of war crimes at ICC
- Indian air force helicopter crash kills 7 on board
- Germany's Lufthansa to resume Tel Aviv flights
- Dutch Safety Board: 1st 'factual findings' soon
- Gunmen kill 2 senior officers in Egypt's Sinai
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!