Tonight: A few clouds with an overnight low in the mid 30s
Saturday: Increasing clouds and a little warmer with an afternoon high in the ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspicious package near CDC snarls traffic
- Ex-Gov. Perdue defends "Go Fish" center in Perry
- Ethics complaint dropped against Cobb Co. chairman
- Ga. considers funding for $1B in transportation needs
- Burglars fail in attempt to smash into computer store
- New leader chosen for Atlanta economic development agency
- Samford professor honored by national educators' group
- Emory, Ga. Tech to build joint library service center
- Deliberations to continue in case of slain Ga. preacher
- Woman hit by truck, dragged in Johns Creek
- Arrests after Ferguson protesters block traffic
- Arizona sheriff sues Obama over immigration change
- Forgetful Obama? President leaves something behind
- Connecticut dad pleads not guilty in hot car death
- Zookeepers allege leaders ignored safety concerns
- EPA delays decision on ethanol in gas
- Police identify 3 kids shot in New Jersey home
- Obama to visit India in January for Republic Day
- Ex-convict charged in Indianapolis teen's death
- 3 face hearing in slaying of French street artist
- Polish, British troops hold exercise
- Zimbabwe: 11 die in stampede at religious service
- Yemen minister gives award to persecuted Jews
- Pope keeps leaders in place for next family synod
- Yemen ends mutiny inside elite paramilitary unit
- Merkel: Palestinian recognition not right path
- 4 IRA suspects arrested after Belfast gun seized
- Biden calls on Russia to uphold east Ukraine truce
- Pakistan says Indian fire kills a soldier
- Spain prosecutors take case against Catalan leader
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!