Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a few scattered showers late. Lows near 60.
A better chance of rain arrives by Tuesday, along ... More...
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
Enrollment at Tennessee Board of Regents colleges has dropped an average of 4.4 percent this fall.
The figure is averaged over the six universities and 13 colleges under Regents supervision, including Chattanooga State and Cleveland State.
The state's other public university system, the University of Tennessee, has not yet released enrollment figures.
At Middle Tennessee State University, the drop was 4.5 percent among fulltime students. University spokesman Andrew Oppmann said several factors contributed to the decline, but he noted steadily rising tuition costs are a factor.
TBR Chancellor John Morgan said it isn't yet clear whether the declines will trigger additional cuts in state funding.
Of concern is a decline in the number of returning students and a recent change in which the legislature tied state funding to graduation rates.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Enrollment Falls at TBR Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Hinesville man dies in ATV wreck
- Savannah police investigate fatal shooting
- Police seek suspect in unauthorized party shooting
- Man fatally hit by vehicle on Atlanta interstate
- Cobb police investigate crash in church lot
- Road likely to reopen as water main work continues
- Sewage plant odors could be topic of meeting
- Fundraising begins for university campus in Newnan
- NC authorities: 10-month-old girl abducted by dad
- Ga. GOP Senate hopefuls try to separate themselves
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring 21
- Biden heads to Ukraine as tensions rise
- Kids get codeine in ER despite risks, guidelines
- Sheriff: Log rolls over, kills boy in Washington
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in Colorado
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party
- 4-year-old half siblings die in accidental NY fire
- Memorial for 11 serial-killing victims needs $250K
- Gaza militants fire missile, rockets at Israel
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- Somali lawmaker killed in car bomb explosion
- Chinese police begin carrying guns during patrols
- Anti-junta Myanmar journalist Win Tin dies at 85
- Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after gear fails
- 8 killed in Finland parachutist plane accident
- 8 dead in northern Mexico plane crash
- Kuwait court shuts 2 newspapers over coup articles
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help; sub continues search for missing plane
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!