Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. church holds final service before demolition
- Boy killed in south Georgia house fire
- Ga. child fatality review panels falling short
- 2 killed in southeast Atlanta home invasion
- Ga. eyeing recruitment at annual tech, media fest
- NW Georgia town eyes drone to film celebration
- Forum on human trafficking planned for Lithonia
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at NY trial
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- NC power outages at about 78,000 after storm
- Selma honors anniversary of 'Bloody Sunday'
- 2 dozen injured as school stage falls
- Obama returns to White House after Fla. vacation
- UMass latest to deal with rowdy St. Pat's parties
- WWII veteran receives Purple Heart 70 years later
- Afghan Taliban order fighters to disrupt vote
- Security forces attack barricades in Venezuela
- Nepal steps up security to stop Tibetan protests
- New Zealand sets elections for Sept. 20
- Syrian rebels release nuns held since December
- 5.8-magnitude earthquake rattles southern Mexico
- Mexico government is 100 pct that drug capo killed
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Haiti's new cardinal celebrates first Mass
- British yachtsman rescued by Chile's navy
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!