Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Education officials checking campuses for recalled ice cream
- Roby named interim commissioner of Georgia veterans agency
- Georgia truck driver on trial in North Dakota crash
- Teenager charged with hitting, killing 2-year-old nephew
- Police: Malnourished Doberman weighed only 33 pounds
- Dead man found naked in Georgia river identified
- 17-year-old drowns after saving friend in Georgia lake
- 2 injured when Amtrak train hits car in North Carolina
- Ga. hospital agrees to $20 million false billing settlement
- Director of state agency that investigates judges steps down
- Search suspended for missing fisherman; man rescued in 2014
- Latest on police-custody death: Rev. Jackson tours Baltimore
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: UN says 8 million affected
- Oklahoma court favors Continental CEO in $1B divorce case
- Man held in bar fight that left Nicki Minaj crew member dead
- Kennedy has tough questions for both sides
- Man who killed ex-wife, lover found dead inside prison cell
- Latest on Boston trial: Coach says Tsarnaev followed brother
- US Attorney to monitor probe of fatal shooting by ICE agent
- Russian arraigned in Virginia on new terrorism charges
- UN peacekeepers come under fire in north Mali near Timbuktu
- Burundi has 3rd day of protests against president
- Syrian opposition group says it will attend Geneva talks
- UN Agency says violence has displaced 300,000 in Yemen
- Burundi: 3rd day of protests against president
- Protesters in Israel demand solution to Arab housing
- EU border agents too busy to screen migrants
- Swedish top court allows Assange to appeal detention order
- Russia releases photos of new tank ahead of Victory Day
- UN Security Council extends mission in Western Sahara
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!