Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- East Point police investigate shooting of security guard
- Man found in Chattahoochee may have fallen from boat
- Police investigate suspicious death of security guard
- Mayor: Plan for bullet train likely stopped in its tracks
- Crews pull boater's body from Chattahoochee River
- DeKalb fire officials color coding hydrants
- Ohio bill would allow patients to get STD meds for partners
- Fewer students study botany, more plant collections closing
- Questions raised over slaying by retired guard in NYC subway
- Virginia student seeks dismissal of charges in bloody arrest
- Cops: Man fires BB gun at 11-year-old, said boy shot his son
- Nevada case is latest to test 'stand your ground' laws
- The Latest on weather: 12 people missing in Texas floods
- 58 protesters arraigned after Cleveland officer's acquittal
- In Rhode Island, residents gush about paid family leave
- Study: Europeans to suffer more ragweed with global warming
- Independent candidate rides hated of politics in Mexico
- Elections in Suriname to decide gov't for next 5 years
- German protests Russia's decision to turn away Merkel ally
- Egypt official says Sinai extremists kill soldier in clashes
- Bangladesh bans Islamist group accused of killing bloggers
- United Arab Emirates launches national space agency strategy
- Brazil prison riot leaves at least 7 dead
- Tornado kills 10 in Mexican border city of Ciudad Acuna
- Russia launches massive air force exercise with 250 aircraft
- Opposition leader says Burundi not ready for polls
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!