Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced to nearly 2 years for impersonating DEA agent
- Youth soccer coach arrested on child pornography charges
- Health official: States should post local vaccination info
- Judge gives 18 years to head of Georgia-to-New York gun ring
- Sentencing delayed for man awaiting punishment in FAMU case
- Jimmy Carter's church adjusts to demand for Sunday lessons
- Defendant awaiting punishment in FAMU case to be sentenced
- Coastal Ga. residents urged to watch Tropical Storm Erika
- Watershed management to launch 'No Wipes in Pipes' campaign
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Records: Parents of slain Ohio boys rejected state care plan
- The Latest: Jurors in prep school rape case go home for day
- Buzz Aldrin joins university, forming 'master plan' for Mars
- Man charged in Jewish site deaths: Judge denying fair trial
- Million gallons of wastewater closes another beach in Hawaii
- US stocks end sharply higher after Chinese market surges
- Feds: Arizona man helped student get Islamic State training
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case
- Man charged in death of 9-year-old girl in Ferguson
- Teacher describes handling gun-wielding teen hostage taker
- Mexico replaces security chief and foreign relations head
- US strikes southern Afghan district seized by Taliban
- Air guitarists duke it out at Finland world championships
- Police can't keep migrants from crossing into Hungary
- UN experts call for fairness in Guatemala genocide trial
- Storm destroys homes, leaves 6 missing
- Jewish settlers take over homes in Arab part of Jerusalem
- Libya dialogue restarts without Tripoli representatives
- UN to investigate militia role in breaking Mali peace accord
- Egypt replaces EgyptAir chairman after heavy losses
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!