Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Reed seeks to have former fire chief's lawsuit dismissed
- Georgia religious freedom bill stalls in House committee
- Georgia House and Senate announce deal on autism bill
- Police arrest man in killing of man at Atlanta supermarket
- Police say major meth operation discovered in Atlanta
- Cancer hospital company fails to get OK to expand in Georgia
- Georgia Senate passes controversial ride sharing legislation
- Ga. police chief, assistant chief charged with stealing
- Family of man killed by Smyrna police want independent probe
- Toddler found dead in Lake Sinclair after search
- Deputy police chief in California arrested on drug charges
- Judge in Texas blocks federal rules change for gay couples
- Jesse Jackson Jr. leaves federal prison for halfway house
- San Francisco Chronicle heir, board member Nan McEvoy dies
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- De Young heir and Chronicle board member Nan McEvoy dies
- Latest on NY fire, building collapse: No gas odors reported
- Seattle police corral goats running through neighborhood
- Police: Intoxicated man arrived by taxi to rob Florida bank
- Father of wanted LAPD officer charged with lying to FBI
- Chinese NGO considering legal action over police raid
- North Korea says it has detained 2 South Koreans for spying
- Gulf states ask UN Security Council for Yemen arms embargo
- Vatican sending diplomat to Obama summit with Latin America
- UK prime minister, opposition leader in live TV interviews
- Lawyer: Fugitive Colombian millionaire arrested in Spain
- Co-pilot's apartment, parents' home searched
UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The United Nations has more than doubled its estimate of Syrians who are living in besieged areas to roughly 440,000.
- Pope welcomes homeless to Sistine Chapel in surprise visit
- Cuba, US to launch human rights dialogue in latest talks
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!