Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Billy Dilworth --veteran Georgia, SC journalist -- dies at 80
- 2-year-old girl drowns in south Georgia river
- Atlanta DUI suspect jumps 30 feet from overpass
- Fleeing suspect runs to law enforcement training center
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Event set to honor Declaration of Independence signers
- Security heightened for Fourth of July events, travel
- Flash flood warnings issued in north Georgia
- Feds to retain oversight of Ga. behavioral health system
- Zoo Atlanta acquires bald eagle from Auburn Raptor Center
- Authorities: Ferris wheel in Orlando stops, stranding riders
- Washington motel closes after possible Legionnaires' report
- Coast Guard suspends Alaska search for overboard crew member
- NASCAR distances itself from Donald Trump after remarks
- 2 badly burned bodies found in a car in a remote ravine
- Florida bond hearing becomes reunion for childhood friends
- San Francisco: No 'legal basis' to hold shooting suspect
- AP National News Calendar
- Feds: San Francisco pier shooting suspect deported 5 times
- US Senator pushes amendment to shift power back to states
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to make first US visit
- UN says children being killed in Burundi's violence
- Mexico set to free founder of Michoacan vigilante movement
- El Salvador's 677 murders in June most since civil war
- France to assist Cameroon as it fights against Boko Haram
- Stolen border crossing cards recovered in Mexico
- Pope to Christians: Put aside divisions amid persecution
- Heavy fighting in Syria as Islamic militants, rebels announce new push for city of Aleppo
- Woman injured after bomb explodes at Canadian law firm
- UN leader offers assistance in Guyana-Venezuela dispute
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!