Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 43.
Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia governor candidates release final ads
- In final Ga. Senate ad, Perdue zeroes in on trust
- Police seek 'very pregnant,' caped robbery suspect
- Defense case may begin case in FAMU hazing trial
- Defense expected to rest case in FAMU hazing trial
- Chilly weather expected across Georgia
- 4 Kansas education commissioner candidates named
- Atlanta to unveil new civil rights markers
- Georgia sex offenders to be monitored on Halloween
- Georgia agencies training to battle wildfires
- Suspect jailed, 2nd man sought in NC shooting
- Maine nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride
- Pair convicted in secret $1.6 M Navy silencer deal
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine in Maine
- A Headless Ranger? Mystery at Colonial burial site
- Suspect jailed in NC courthouse shooting
- Police: 2 anti-violence organizers beat ex-roomie
- Some Rhode Island voters face 40 ballot questions
- Milosevic's widow ridicules EU lifting sanctions
- Memorial underway for Cleveland killer's victims
- New UN envoy on Syria briefs Security Council
- Bodies of 48 Sunni tribal fighters found in Iraq
- US condemns renewed violence in South Sudan
- Zambia: President's body to return Saturday
- Amnesty: Libyan militias committing war crimes
- NATO chief sees spike in Russian flights on border
- AP Interview: Syrian official slams Turkey's role
- Malala donates prize money to rebuild Gaza school
- UK court says Libyan can sue over rendition
- Peshmerga troops start entering Syrian border town
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!