Tonight: (Fall begins at 10:29pmET) Clear and much cooler with an overnight low in the ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Teen stabbed to death in downtown Atlanta park
- Search to resume for man who fell from lake dock
- Camden sheriffs finds funding for inmate education
- Gainesville health providers wary of county clinic
- Authorities investigating fuel truck fire in Macon
- Police: Man falls from dock, drowns in Lake Lanier
- New Ga. lobbying rules allow for summer travel
- Cobb police investigating fatal shooting
- Ga. agency says photo IDs will cost $7.7 million
- Police: Body left near railroad tracks in Atlanta
- Man seen with missing UVa student being sought
- Courtroom cameras sought in theater shooting trial
- NASA's Maven spacecraft enters Mars orbit
- Obama and immigration: High hopes, a mixed record
- Syria vote isn't last word from Congress on war
- White House intruder expected to appear in court
- Del. authorities: Bus overturns, 2 dead, injuries
- Police find rifle carried by ambush suspect
- 7 injured when fueling boat catches fire in Boston
- 3 Afghan soldiers missing from Cape Cod base
- Hong Kong students on strike in democracy battle
- Some 130,000 Syrians reach Turkey, fleeing IS
- Polish president swears in reshuffled government
- South Africa: Park staff arrested for poaching
- New Afghan leader to name woman to Supreme Court
- New Afghan president, but vote totals kept secret
- Spanish priest with Ebola flown back to Madrid
- China reveals cases of torture in police detention
- Pakistan appoints new spy chief
- Egypt militants claim blast near foreign ministry
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!