Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Northwest 10-15 mph.
Tonight: Clear skies with a low in the mid 40s. North wind 5-10.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Jury to resume deliberations in county CEO trial
- Professor given National Science Foundation grant
- Georgia workshops urge women to embrace outdoors
- 2 Ga. men sentenced to life in fatal armed robbery
- 2 men found fatally shot in west Ga. house
- Georgia criminal justice council given 8 grants
- UNLV president search narrows to 3 candidates
- Authorities bust Ga. heroin smuggling operation
- Nunn debuts another Bush ad in Georgia Senate race
- Georgia soldiers being deployed to West Africa
- CDC releases revised Ebola gear guidelines
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Oklahoma Guard: No injuries after midair collision
- Closing arguments set in trial of Tsarnaev friend
- Reports: Televangelist urged vasectomies, abortion
- Finding victims in Indiana case a lengthy process
- Survey shows media differences due to politics
- America makes 'Wasabi Ginger' favorite new Lay's chip
- Standing ovation at Met Opera despite protest
- No bail for man in Washington shooting spree
- Bombings kill 9 people in Iraqi capital
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in prison
- Head of Iran's chief clerical body dead at 83
- Few hopes of success in Hong Kong talks
- Taliban attack kills 4 Afghan soldiers in Kabul
- Harvard student stuck in Mexico gets new US visa
- Driver shot dead after he hits 2 Canadian soldiers
- Panama suspends Supreme Court judge for corruption
- Former Australia Prime Minister Gough Whitlam dies
- Driver shot after he hits 2 Canadian soldiers
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!