Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Wiz Khalifa, De La Soul, 2 Chainz headline A3C festival
- Clinton racks up elected Dems in Georgia
- Burke County football player dies 2 weeks after collapsing
- Macon 'Dirty Bird' rapper facing drug trafficking charges
- Second teenager in 2 days shot to death in Union City
- 2 men charged in 1999 Nashville theater shooting
- Effort to bring minor league baseball to Macon moves forward
- Atlanta man sentenced in homeless check cashing scheme
- Police probing deaths of 2 Savannah children
- Trial begins in death of man found in Georgia jail cell
- Kentucky man to be sentenced in wife's alleged mercy killing
- Fire forces evacuation of Delaware's Legislative Hall
- Federal effort to combat chronic absenteeism at schools
- Body camera video shows shot officer asking man to drop gun
- Jury being picked in teen's trial over math teacher's death
- House forming special panel to probe Planned Parenthood
- Police: Teacher ran over husband while daughters were in car
- Senate OKs massive defense bill under veto threat
- Obama apologizes to Doctors Without Borders, offers condolences over US attack in Afghanistan
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative
- AP INVESTIGATION: Nuclear black market seeks IS extremists
- Attack on UN convoy in C. African Republic kills peacekeeper
- Inmates end uprising at prison in southern Brazil; 12 hurt
- UN says Shiite rebels in Yemen have agreed to stop fighting
- Alleged mastermind of Nigeria bomb attempts suicide in court
- Guyana rushes water to indigenous area hit by dry spell
- Algeria kills 'dangerous terrorist' near Tunisian border
- Italy considering more active anti-Islamic State in Iraq
- Argentine government: ex-spy chief went to US in February
- Aid group seeks fact-finding mission over Kunduz strike
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!