Tonight: A clearing sky and more comfortable with a low in the mid/upper 60s. A light north wind.
Friday: Sunny and a little less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A west wind at 5-10mph. An isolated ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Georgia releases student growth tool
- Witnesses to plane crash give differing accounts
- Bus stranded after mechanical woes, driver illness
- Doctor describes Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- White House: Obama offers Netherlands condolences
- Navy secretary says combat ship costs will decline
- Talks may lead to pause in Gaza fighting, UN school in Gaza attacked
- Cuban hijacker appeals 20-year US prison sentence
- 2 women convicted of deadly OC nightclub beating
- Alaska train to resume service after cars derail
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- Phoenix breaks temperature with record high of 116
- Obama, Mexico's leader plot border surge strategy
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
- Australian reporter imprisoned in Egypt to appeal
- Witness: Teen's plane didn't show obvious distress
- UN urges quick implementation of CAR cease-fire
- 6 to stand trial in group home case in Mexico
- Trinidad pair cleared of caging protected animals
- 3 charged in Nicaragua bus attacks that killed 5
- Uruguay leader thirsty for Paraguay's yerba mate
- UN says 9 trucks enter Syria from Turkey with aid
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!