Today: Increasing clouds with some scattered light rain late this afternoon. High in the low to mid 80s. East wind around 5 mph.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy with some light rain at times. The low in the mid 60s.
Friday: ... More...
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Lisa Ling, executive producer and host of Our America on OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network, is the 2013-14 Global Speaker at Girls Preparatory School. The former field correspondent for the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to ABC News’ Nightline and National Geographic’s Explorer will address GPS students and faculty on Thursday, Oct. 10.
In the first season of Our America, Lisa embedded in a Midwest town ravaged by an onslaught of heroin; in season two, she witnessed the manifestation of PTSD in returning veterans of war. She has reported from dozens of countries, covering stories about gang rape in the Congo, bride burning in India, the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda, and the MS-13 gang in Central America.
Lisa’s start in journalism was with Channel One News, where at 21 years of age, she covered the civil war in Afghanistan. She later went on to become a co-host of ABC Daytime’s show, The View, which won its first daytime Emmy during her time with the show.
She was a special correspondent for CNN’s Planet in Peril series and is a contributing editor for USA Today’s USA Weekend magazine. She is the co-author of two books, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood and Somewhere Inside: One Sister’s Captivity in North Korea and the Other’s Fight to Bring Her Home, which she wrote with her sister Laura.
In an interview with the Miami Herald in May, the 39-year-old mother of a young daughter said, “I’m determined to raise a strong girl.” She is involved with Dove’s “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” initiative to promote self-esteem in girls.
The GPS Global Speakers Series began in 2008 to attract nationally and internationally recognized speakers.
Girls Preparatory School Hosts Lisa Ling
Thursday, September 26 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Georgia man had 174 pounds of marijuana
- School principal resigns after 2 DUI arrests
- Husband: Wife faces long recovery after attack
- Husband: Wife unrecognizable after attack on trail
- Ga. included in human trafficking training program
- GDOT suspending construction during GA tax holiday
- Nearly 1,400 eligible for UGA summer commencement
- New editor chosen to lead Valdosta Daily Times
- GA woman dies after car sinks in retention pond
- Emory-Adventist Hospital to close in October
- Old remains found in unrefrigerated morgue
- Philanthropist calls for saving Corcoran in court
- Ceremony to mark return of saint to Hawaii
- AP Exclusive: Study finds panthers kill livestock
- GOP: Lerner emails show bias against conservatives
- Plane crashes in San Diego parking lot; 1 dead
- Congress races to finish veterans, highway bills
- Archbishop says he didn't mismanage abuse scandal
- FBI brings key witness in Oklahoma bombing trial
- Jury deliberations to begin in kidnapped-baby case
- Dad of jailed reporter: Son a victim of injustice
- Former aide to Prince Philip charged in sex case
- 7 killed, 13 missing as boat sinks in Indonesia
- Expat Turks begin voting in presidential elections
- Panasonic, Tesla to build big US battery plant
- Ukraine parliament to vote on PM
- UN official: Vietnam violates religious freedom
- China allows foreign reporters at news conference
- Asian markets drift after US Fed stays course
- Eds: Links new photo. With AP Photos
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!