Today: Sunny with below average temperatures for mid April. An afternoon high from the around 63 degrees. ESE wind at 10-15 mph.
Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. But, most areas locally should be above freezing. An overnight ... More...
Hales Bar Dam Celebrating 100 Years
One hundred years ago, the Hales Bar Dam opened with fanfare heard around the globe. The Hales Bar Dam, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, was the first multipurpose hydroelectric dam built on a navigable river in the world. The Hales Bar Dam paved the way for an industrialized south and led an emerging age of electrical technology.
Saturday November 16th at 2:00pm Central, and event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Hales Bar Dam will take place at the historic Princess Theater in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.
Construction began on the dam in 1905, making it one of the oldest hydroelectric dams in the world. Initial estimate for the construction was $2 million to be completed in two years. Due to major unforeseen setbacks, the dam was not completed until 1913 at a staggering cost of $10 million, which was financed by Anthony Brady and built on land that was donated by Daniel Hale and his son George Hale for which the dam was named.
The event will feature live music from Blackbirds Revival, as well as a pre-screening of the up coming documentary Wide River to Cross, which tells the story of the historic dam.
Tickets to the 100th anniversary celebration will be $7. Proceeds will go to the Marion County food bank. For more information on the event or to reserve tickets, call 423-939-9369.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced to hard labor for indecent exposure
- Heavy rain leads to sewage problems in Valdosta
- Thieves steal House clerk's car outside Capitol
- Public memorial for Herb Emory set for Saturday
- Labor officials form Georgia safety partnership
- US energy secretary to tour Georgia Tech
- Live fire exercise scheduled at Fort Knox
- US transportation secretary to visit Atlanta
- Delta evacuates jet in Atlanta due to cabin smoke
- Smoke reported in plane's cabin at Atlanta airport
- 3 rescued from ship taking on water in New Orleans
- Jill Biden promotes Post-9/11 GI Bill website
- Obama, Biden to announce $600M for job grants
- Marathon suspect seeks dismissal of some charges
- At Boston Marathon, a chance to finally finish
- Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- Obama seeks inmates worthy of commutation power
- A year after background check defeat, modest goals
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- End of NYPD Muslim surveillance program applauded
- Army: Jordan air force strikes cars near Syria
- Parliament to elect Lebanon president on April 23
- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack
- Gunmen kill 9 on bus in Ethiopia near dam project
- South Korea says nearly 300 missing in ferry disaster
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes kill 4 in rebel town
- Israeli police enter holy site to disperse riot
- Russian FM: Russia still to meet with Ukraine
- Official: Iran will not discuss missile program
- Royal couple arrive in Sydney for Down Under tour
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!