Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Reed seeks to have former fire chief's lawsuit dismissed
- Georgia religious freedom bill stalls in House committee
- Georgia House and Senate announce deal on autism bill
- Police arrest man in killing of man at Atlanta supermarket
- Police say major meth operation discovered in Atlanta
- Cancer hospital company fails to get OK to expand in Georgia
- Georgia Senate passes controversial ride sharing legislation
- Ga. police chief, assistant chief charged with stealing
- Family of man killed by Smyrna police want independent probe
- Toddler found dead in Lake Sinclair after search
- Deputy police chief in California arrested on drug charges
- Judge in Texas blocks federal rules change for gay couples
- Jesse Jackson Jr. leaves federal prison for halfway house
- San Francisco Chronicle heir, board member Nan McEvoy dies
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- De Young heir and Chronicle board member Nan McEvoy dies
- Latest on NY fire, building collapse: No gas odors reported
- Seattle police corral goats running through neighborhood
- Police: Intoxicated man arrived by taxi to rob Florida bank
- Father of wanted LAPD officer charged with lying to FBI
- Chinese NGO considering legal action over police raid
- North Korea says it has detained 2 South Koreans for spying
- Gulf states ask UN Security Council for Yemen arms embargo
- Vatican sending diplomat to Obama summit with Latin America
- UK prime minister, opposition leader in live TV interviews
- Lawyer: Fugitive Colombian millionaire arrested in Spain
- Co-pilot's apartment, parents' home searched
UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- The United Nations has more than doubled its estimate of Syrians who are living in besieged areas to roughly 440,000.
- Pope welcomes homeless to Sistine Chapel in surprise visit
- Cuba, US to launch human rights dialogue in latest talks
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!