Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 43.
Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia governor candidates release final ads
- In final Ga. Senate ad, Perdue zeroes in on trust
- Police seek 'very pregnant,' caped robbery suspect
- Defense case may begin case in FAMU hazing trial
- Defense expected to rest case in FAMU hazing trial
- Chilly weather expected across Georgia
- 4 Kansas education commissioner candidates named
- Atlanta to unveil new civil rights markers
- Georgia sex offenders to be monitored on Halloween
- Georgia agencies training to battle wildfires
- Suspect jailed, 2nd man sought in NC shooting
- Maine nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride
- Pair convicted in secret $1.6 M Navy silencer deal
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine in Maine
- A Headless Ranger? Mystery at Colonial burial site
- Suspect jailed in NC courthouse shooting
- Police: 2 anti-violence organizers beat ex-roomie
- Some Rhode Island voters face 40 ballot questions
- Milosevic's widow ridicules EU lifting sanctions
- Memorial underway for Cleveland killer's victims
- New UN envoy on Syria briefs Security Council
- Bodies of 48 Sunni tribal fighters found in Iraq
- US condemns renewed violence in South Sudan
- Zambia: President's body to return Saturday
- Amnesty: Libyan militias committing war crimes
- NATO chief sees spike in Russian flights on border
- AP Interview: Syrian official slams Turkey's role
- Malala donates prize money to rebuild Gaza school
- UK court says Libyan can sue over rendition
- Peshmerga troops start entering Syrian border town
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!