Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Person of interest in Macon woman's death found dead
- Man diagnosed with Lassa fever dies in US after Liberia trip
- Correction: Unattended Child Campaign story
- 1 person dead in collision with fire department vehicle
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- East Point police investigate shooting of security guard
- Man found in Chattahoochee may have fallen from boat
- Egypt allows Gazans to return home through border crossing
- NFL player Ray McDonald posts bail after California arrest
- Horses return to Mackinac Island in rite of spring
- 3 burglars share tips of trade in crime prevention video
- Bones in SF Bay Area found to be student missing since 1982
- Reported tornado leaves 1 dead, 4 hurt in Texas
- The Latest: Reported tornado leaves 1 dead, 4 hurt in Texas
- Roller coaster fan notches 5,000th ride on historic coaster
- Rough surf off Florida creates dangerous swimming conditions, complicates rescues
- The Latest: Search suspended in flood-ravaged Texas county
- More migrants reach Greece, approaching 1,200 in 2 days
- Report: Israeli leader offers talks over settlement blocs
- Iran begins trial of detained Washington Post reporter
- Report: Iran summons Saudi envoy over Yemen strike
- Australia to pass law to strip citizenship for terror crimes
- China downplays South China Sea island development
- Galapagos Island volcano erupts first time in 33 years
- Taiwan proposes plan to ease South China Sea tensions
- Australia rejects Vietnamese refugee claims in 40 minutes
- Brazil prison riot leaves 8 dead, officials say
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!