Tuesday: Morning cloud cover giving way to a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the low/mid 80s with a light west wind. Still a slight ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Wilson, Woods draw contrasts at education forum
- Atlanta airport closing runway for maintenance
- Pair identified in metro Atlanta murder-suicide
- Deal, Carter duel over education at Atlanta forum
- Ebola patient in Omaha continues improving
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault
- Ex-teacher indicted in molestation case
- 2 arrested in fatal shooting over game system
- Man sent to prison in child pornography case
- Woman found shot to death in DeKalb County
- NY boat crash: Criminal case ends, lawsuits await
- NYer to be sentenced in fatal girlfriend stabbing
- Mom charged in son's 1991 murder is due in court
- Trump Plaza: 4th Atlantic City casino shutdown
- Street gangs tone down use of colors, tattoos
- Profile of gunman who ambushed troopers released
- DOJ extremism fight could take cue from Minnesota
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to fight Ebola
- Trio of California wildfires destroy or damage scores of homes; thousands evacuated
- Lava enters vacant lots in Big Island subdivision
- Turkey could accept Muslim Brotherhood leaders
- Pakistan warplanes kill 20 militants in northwest
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber targets foreign convoy
- Typhoon hits southern China, heads to Vietnam
- Philippines' Mayon volcano showing signs of unrest
- Hurricane Odile causes extensive damage to homes, hotels, businesses in Baja California
- 12 Nigerian troops sentenced to death for mutiny
- UN envoy warns Libya on brink of prolonged strife
- Sierra Leone: WHO too slow to help doc with Ebola
- Merkel: Russia must withdraw troops from Ukraine
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!