Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 3 killed in south Georgia fire
- House bill would remove limitations on cancer hospital
- SUV plunges off bridge on highway north of Atlanta
- Gov. Deal: February tax revenues up more than 12 percent
- Plane that skidded through fence at LaGuardia is removed
- Judge sets May sentencing for mom found guilty of murder
- Woman hospitalized with burn injuries after house fire
- Police search for motorist after woman killed in hit-and-run
- Search is on for escaped inmate in northwest Georgia
- Cell phone lot at Atlanta airport closing for road work
- AP PHOTOS: Ringling Bros to retire elephants; tradition ends
- AP Source: Federal charges expected against Sen. Menendez
- Ohio terrorism suspect says he would have shot Obama
- Body of Mexican man shot by police flown to Mexico, buried
- Church says abducted Seattle missionary released
- Authorities provide security for holdout juror in Arias case
- Man convicted in 'American Sniper' case at intake center
- New Jersey man who gassed his dog to death gets probation
- Man again accused of stalking Yahoo CEO
- Witness: Hernandez DNA matched marijuana butt at crime scene
- Sierra Leone's ruling party expels vice president
- Puerto Rico police official sentenced in fatal beating case
- Former Israeli spy chief rejects parts of Netanyahu speech
- UN Libya envoy says airstrikes threaten peace talks
- Palestinian assailant wounds 5 Israelis in car attack
- Macedonia government accused of election fraud
- Mexican circus owners say ban means animals may die
- 12 die, thousands evacuated in Argentine flooding
- Dutch investigating old soap for traces of Holocaust victims
- EU chief optimistic about finding Iran nuclear deal
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!