Tonight: Becoming cloudy along with a few late night showers. An overnight low only in the mid to upper 60s.
Friday: ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Columbus airport aims to lure airline with grant
- Authorities ID man killed by Atlanta transit train
- Savannah residents told to move for police station
- Sand and rock-filled socks hurled at vehicles
- GA juvenile justice dept. offers citizen's academy
- DeKalb given police, violence prevention grants
- Emory gets papers of artist, writer Chase-Riboud
- Ex-Atlanta principal testifies in cheating trial
- Atlanta bus driver charged in pedestrian's death
- 10 CDC staffers sent to Texas for Ebola probe
- Nobel-winning physicist Martin Perl dies at age 87
- Obama raising campaign cash for Illinois governor
- Official: Fatal NY football hit a 'freak accident'
- Protesters to pack meeting on education changes
- AP Exclusive: Complaints at problem prison shelved
- Orr: Detroit bankruptcy challenges seen as costly
- Nearly 3 years prison for Ponzi schemer ex-partner
- Prosecutors want death penalty drug info shielded
- Washington crews try to oust persistent beaver
- Reputed drug cartel member to change plea in US
- UN: Air travel from Ebola nations should continue
- Lawyer: Bahrain rights activist detained for tweet
- Myanmar news website defaced by hackers
- Greek police destroy suspected bomb sent to bourse
- New Swedish PM can expect struggle ahead
- Official: Suicide bombers kill 7 at Libyan airport
- Activists say Assad supporters protest in Syria
- Greenland calls for early elections next month
- Putin: state will support sanctions-hit sectors
- South Africa: white extremist's house stirs debate
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!