Today: Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Showers at times. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Tonight: Still some passing showers during the evening. Windy and much ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- Author of Bin Laden book is under criminal probe
- Before midterms, Obama plugs policies for women
- NY judge dismisses murder charge in 1986 killing
- 2 Arizona officers killed in car crashes this week
- Trick-or-treating back on after manhunt ends
- Trooper ambush suspect in court after long manhunt
- US stocks open higher, following gains in Asia
- Attorney wants UVa abduction suspect evaluated
- Parachutist rescued from Missouri television tower
- Bear in fatal NJ attack was acting 'predatory'
- Zambia's acting president appeals for calm
- New search may locate grave of Spanish poet Lorca
- Thai prime minister, an ex-general, is millionaire
- Burkina Faso leader steps down, vote in 90 days
- Spain seeks to halt informal Catalan breakup vote
- Peshmerga fighters leave Kobani to return later
- Pirate Bay founder jailed for hacking Danish data
- UN: Growing number of foreigners in terror groups
- Liberia opens 1 of largest Ebola treatment centers
- Germany's main Jewish leader steps down
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!