Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Police: Vet steals Humvee from Ga. base, runs from SC cops
- Off-duty police officer, infant killed in 2-vehicle crash
- Drone supporters say ban around Georgia Capitol goes too far
- Augusta nonprofit helping students gets accreditation
- Demolition work begins on homes near Robins Air Force Base
- Study: Ga. teachers, state workers pay more for health care
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Infant found on the side of the road in Maryland
- 5 injured when man sets fireworks at California block party
- Illegal fireworks suspected in factory, grass fires
- 6 injured in 4th of July lightning strike at RV park
- Arizona prison to relocate more than 350 additional inmates
- Boy, 7, killed during violent July 4 celebrations in Chicago
- Police: 3 found dead in coastal Maine town were parents, son
- Deteriorating nails blamed for North Carolina deck collapse
- The Latest: Crowds await Pope Francis' arrival in Ecuador
- The Latest: Pope makes surprise foray outside his residence
- Saskatchewan to get military help to fight wildfires
- The Latest: Pope took time during flight to greet press
- 3 dead, 13 hurt after bomb blast at checkpoint in Kandahar
- Bomb attacks on Shiite districts kill 15 people in Iraq
- A royal milestone: Britain's Princess Charlotte christened at church on queen's estate
- Indian coast guard seizes Iranian boat, arrests 12 crew
- Israeli Cabinet reverses bill easing conversion to Judaism
- Burkina Faso: Father wants justice in sex abuse case
- Israeli Cabinet reverses policy easing conversion to Judaism
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!