Tonight: Becoming cloudy Showers possible very late. An overnight low in the upper 50s to near 60. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Friday: Showers and some thunderstorms during the morning, then breezy and drier by midday and the afternoon. An afternoon ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bond denied for woman charged in NC kidnapping
- 15 people charged in tax fraud ring
- Macon child care center ordered to close
- Deal signs bill restricting some abortion coverage
- Gov. Deal signs 'medical amnesty' bill
- Ga. governor approves referendum on dorm taxes
- Fire destroys home of former state lawmaker
- Parents of infant found dead held on drug charges
- Miss. girl, 2, found unharmed in south Georgia
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate drops to 6.8 percent
- Criminal probe into NYC heiress' life is over
- Rabbit heads left in 2 sisters' mailboxes
- New Jersey forest fire burns half a square mile
- Kerry warns Russia of expensive new sanctions
- NJ fire burns 300 acres; some let back into homes
- Christian leader: Attack not motivated by religion
- DHS sec'y puts ex-watchdog on leave after report
- Pellet gun firing cause Navy base lockdown
- 5 Things to Know about Colorado pot revenue
- Miss. probing death of infant whose parents fled
- UN Yemen envoy says rebel group agrees to talks
- US threatens to pull aid to Haiti over late vote
- Explosion targets journalist's car in Cameroon
- Hagel says Russian military exercises up tensions
- Residents of conflictive Rio slum stage protest
- UN chief: Syria war threatens Lebanon's stability
- Vatican: Pope's private calls don't reflect policy
- US awards $4M to help Haitians hurt by drought
- Mexican vigilantes search caves for cartel leader
- Police capture fugitive in Puerto Rico
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!