Today: Increasing clouds with some scattered light rain late this afternoon. High in the low to mid 80s. East wind around 5 mph.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy with some light rain at times. The low in the mid 60s.
Friday: ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Gov. Deal meets with Latino leaders on immigration
- Driver says she was nearly killed by sledgehammer
- Police: Georgia man had 174 pounds of marijuana
- School principal resigns after 2 DUI arrests
- Husband: Wife faces long recovery after attack
- Husband: Wife unrecognizable after attack on trail
- Ga. included in human trafficking training program
- GDOT suspending construction during GA tax holiday
- Nearly 1,400 eligible for UGA summer commencement
- New editor chosen to lead Valdosta Daily Times
- Divided House moves toward vote on border crisis
- White House decries House vote on deportations
- Prize-winning goat disappears from Colorado fair
- Key prosecution witness heard in ex-Va. gov trial
- Expert in porch shooting case talks about hand cut
- Gay couples denied marriage licenses in S.Carolina
- Sudan woman who faced death over faith heads to US
- Fired band director says he fixing vulgar culture
- Man suspected in Irish soldiers' deaths in court
- Virginia, student settle lawsuit over arrest
- China accuses 3 radicals of killing leading imam
- Libya Islamic militias declare control of Benghazi
- Afghan electoral officials to restart vote audit
- Greece to help 'hundreds' of Chinese leave Libya
- Floods submerge south Romania, 2nd person drowns
- Ex-Senegal leader's son starts corruption trial
- Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq
- UK judge opens inquiry into Litvinenko killing
- Pillay: Israel, Hamas committing war crimes
- Dad of jailed reporter: Son a victim of injustice
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!