Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. officials launching child vehicle safety campaign
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead
- Death of middle Georgia girl ruled homicide
- Georgia trooper shoots traveler after I-75 speeding stop
- Suspected Jacksonville bus shooter arrested in Georgia
- Georgia man with gun turns tables on carjacking suspect
- Extra security, protest planned for graduation in Valdosta
- Prosecutor to seek indictment in jail death of Savannah man
- Macon woman's index finger bitten off during fight
- Arrest made in 2012 slaying of Augusta security guard
- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions
- Congress passes 2-month highway, transit aid extension
- Hundreds mourn NYC college dean killed in Amtrak crash
- Naked Florida man rescued after getting stuck on drawbridge
- The Latest on Waco shooting: Biker group gets proclamation
- Man released from Guantanamo in December dies in Kazakhstan
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Man convicted of killing ex-wife whose 911 call was bungled
- Strangulation of child with blinds cord ruled a homicide
- Navy says pilot safely ejected when plane went off runway
- Congo electoral commission updates voter list
- Myanmar president signs off on controversial population law
- AP Interview: Top UN official says Europe must open borders
- Egypt court acquits 17 in protest that saw mother shot dead
- Syrian official: Islamic State militants in Palmyra's museum
- Islamic State group radio claims Saudi mosque suicide attack
- Roadside bomb kills 2, including Afghan district chief
- Japan pledges climate change aid to Pacific island nations
- China contributing experts, troops to disaster relief drills
- AP Interview: Steinem says isolating N. Korea not working
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!