Tonight: A partly cloudy, then fair sky with an overnight low in the low 60s.
Wednesday: ... More...
Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- David Perdue calls on former governor in ad
- Columbus-based payment firm to expand in McDonough
- Housekeeper finds bodies at motel near Atlanta
- Housekeeper finds bodies at hotel near Atlanta
- Car stolen before it can be raffled to raise funds
- Civil War soldiers buried as 'unknowns' identified
- All Ga. counties now deemed ready for Hollywood
- Utility, solar industry to debate price of energy
- Wilson, Woods draw contrasts at education forum
- Atlanta airport closing runway for maintenance
- Crews gain ground on Northern California wildfire
- Arrest in robbery of autistic man in Connecticut
- House panel: Safety agency mishandled GM recall
- Capt. Citrus, face of Florida OJ, gets a makeover
- Hagel, Dempsey defend Obama military strategy
- Downed wires suspend DC-Philly Amtrak service
- Ex-state prosecutor, wife sentenced in child abuse
- FBI investigates Missouri officer's stun gun use
- Ohio woman wants playing cards to publicize crimes
- Police to resume search for missing UVa student
- Pope to focus on grandparents after newlyweds
- Kurdish police to get help from Czech Republic
- Turkish PM: Turks are not joining IS group en mass
- Brazilian archbishop robbed at gunpoint in Rio
- South Africa sends murder suspect to Botswana
- UN: Nearly $1 billion needed now to stop Ebola
- Woman survives 4 days after Nigeria building falls
- West Bank settler group boasts rapid growth
- Belgium grants jailed rapist, murderer euthanasia
- Dutch to present less austere budget for 2015
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!