Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam says he will introduce his own proposal to create a school voucher program in Tennessee.
The Republican governor told reporters after an education discussion with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday that his voucher bill will be targeted at children from lower-income families who attend the state's worst schools.
Haslam last year persuaded the Legislature to defer on voucher proposals while a task force he appointed studied the various options on school choice.
The governor had previously been undecided about whether he would take the lead on a voucher proposal or if he would let lawmakers control the measure.
Haslam declined to give further details about the proposal that he plans to unveil at his annual State of the State address Jan. 28.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Haslam to Introduce Own School Voucher Proposal
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Celebrities offer support for Whitney Houston's daughter
- Sheriff seeking 'person of interest' after 5 people killed
- State buying homes around air base to limit 'encroachment'
- Northeast Georgia hospital plans new pediatric unit
- Court to hear challenge to Braves stadium financing
- Ga. Democrats re-elect party chairman after 2014 losses
- 3 men shot in Afghanistan worked for North Carolina firm
- Fire in Jones County scorches 3 acres
- Emory, CDC team up to train hospitals in Ebola treatment
- GBI seizes guns while investigating slaying of Cobb couple
- Balloon pilots arrive in New Mexico after historic flight
- Sheriff's office IDs injured Mount Hood climbers
- Snowstorm delays Boston Marathon bombing trial
- Alan Simpson says Jeb Bush best choice for president in 2016
- Midwest storm disrupts travel
- San Francisco experiences driest January on record
- Pregnant smokers can get free diapers by kicking the habit
- Michigan fighting claims of sexual abuse by teens in prison
- Snow blankets Plains, Midwest
- Boyfriend arrested in rape, brutal attack of California girl
- South Sudan's warring factions sign another peace deal
- Hungarians protest against premier's dealings with Putin
- Spain: 400 migrants repelled after storming border fence
- Flash floods hit Greece, Albania, force evacuations
- Arabic news channel backed by Saudi prince goes on air
- Rights group: Egypt 'covering up' protester deaths
- Romanian mountain Ice Church draws all types of Christians
- Thai luxury train locomotive catches fire, no one hurt
- Iran's Ahmadinejad launches website ahead of vote
- 6 missing Bulgarians working for UN in Sudan 'released'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!