Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Severe thunderstorms possible as rain moves into Georgia
- Cellphone thieves targeting college students in Atlanta
- Person of interest in Macon woman's death found dead
- Man diagnosed with Lassa fever dies in US after Liberia trip
- Correction: Unattended Child Campaign story
- 1 person dead in collision with fire department vehicle
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- 18-year-old gets 25 years for grandparents' deaths in fire
- Arizona House Democrat to challenge McCain for Senate
- Cops kill man suspected in ex's slaying outside NY casino
- Reactor back 2 online weeks after fire at NY nuke plant
- Small business jet rolls partly off runway at Baltimore
- New Mexico police officer fatally shot; person in custody
- 11-year protest in Catholic church faces moment of reckoning
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- High court won't hear child custody dispute
- Cops kill man suspected in woman's slaying outside NY casino
- Poland to offer safe haven to 60 Syrian Christian families
- Britain faces tension over push for less EU control
- IOM urges EU to accept far more asylum seekers
- Enraged voters menace political status quo in Spain, Poland
- Egypt investigates police killing of student
- Auschwitz trial session canceled due to defendant's health
- Albania's president wary of Macedonia crisis fallout
- Sweltering temperatures in India leave 750 dead in 5 weeks
- Rights group says Libya civilians trapped in eastern city
- Malaysia refuses entry to teen leader of Hong Kong protests
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!