Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Senate sends bill detailing school takeover to governor
- Police chief: Shooting investigation to be reviewed by GBI
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss
- 3 arrested, charged in death of man who was decapitated
- Lockheed to pay $2M to settle allegations it overbilled govt
- Georgia House defeats bill preventing plastic bag bans
- Bill allowing third-party lending for solar panels to Deal
- Deal signs order requiring readiness for marijuana law
- Police: Hammer-wielding intruder shot dead inside Macon home
- Baseball kills Valdosta high school athlete hit during game
- Woman charged under new Colorado law in mom attack
- Homeland security chief visits New Orleans airport
- Mystery of California hilltop piano solved
- Man accused in Kansas Jewish site killings pleads not guilty
- School aide barricaded self in classroom; took off clothes
- Man on St. Louis train asked about Michael Brown, attacked
- Police report claims misconduct in officer body camera case
- Ohio inmates in 2nd week of hunger strike over program cuts
- Indiana officials look to stem religious objections fallout
- South Dakota jury finds hospital not liable for 'KKK' scars
- Mexico sets 25 pct pollution cut by 2030 for climate talks
- Hezbollah leader slams Saudi intervention in Yemen
- Greek ferry reaches island port after stranded for 2 days
- Snowden meets Swedish lawmakers in Moscow
- AP Interview: Ukraine PM: Russia could spark new offensive
- Report: Cluster bomb wounds 6 boys in southern Lebanon
- UN draft resolution would not lift Libya arms embargo
- Northern Chile works to recover after floods kill 9
- Judges deciding whether to uphold Amanda Knox murder conviction
- Iran says nuke talks focused despite Yemen crisis
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!