Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DeKalb County CEO found guilty of perjury, extortion charge
- Source: Fire at South Carolina black church wasn't arson
- Thieves make off with semi loaded with liquor and wine
- Macon leaders consider future of Confederate statue
- Man gunned down inside Atlanta nightclub
- Another black church in South Carolina burns; cause unknown
- Ga. troopers ramping up enforcement during holiday weekend
- Man gets life for killing ex-girlfriend who dated his wife
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Tennessee store owner replaces 'No Gays Allowed' sign
- Mom accused of contaminating son's IV gets 6 years in prison
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies, restore ties
- Crews inspecting Ohio bridge after morning tanker fire
- Chicago mayor to detail $200 million in school district cuts
- Reports: School bus driver fired after student dragging
- By PATRICK SEMANSKY
- Vintage seaplane stranded near Gulf beach during movie shoot
- Tree falls on woman walking to car after storms, killing her
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies to restore ties
- American dean fired from Russian university after TV show
- 9 Azerbaijani citizens sentenced for joining Islamic State
- UK police investigating missing family of 12 feared in Syria
- US Speaker in Poland for talks on trade, security
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash
- Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune
- Israel arrests dozens of Hamas operatives in West Bank
- Media rights group sues German spy agency
- Mural of rainbow flag sparks rare Palestinian debate on gays
- World mayors, others pitch in toward global climate accord
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!