Tonight: A partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the low 60s (50s away from the city)
Saturday: Sunny to partly ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Warning lifted after threat at UGA campus
- Building on UGA campus evacuated after threat
- Univ. of Georgia on pace for record enrollment
- Police investigate shooting death of Augusta man
- Residents asked to help search for missing plane
- Autopsy set for Friday in fatal shooting by police
- Large Ga. school system to change attendance zones
- Judge sides with Fulton County in tax hike dispute
- Jekyll Island hosting shrimp and grits festival
- France-Atlanta collaboration set for next month
- Seventh day of manhunt for suspect in trooper shooting
- DA dismisses most remaining protest arrests in NC
- Army opens Ranger school to women
- Foreign fighters, Ebola top Obama's UN agenda
- Police: Man impersonated retired cop for decades
- Hagel seeks info on military relationship with NFL
- Suspect in 1998 bombings pleads to lesser charges
- Montana gay couple denied Communion after marriage
- Dog branded with profanity gets cosmetic surgery
- Search for missing deputy resumes
- UN reaffirms support for force in Golan Heights
- UN envoy says Iraq looks to countries for help
- UN reaffirms support for UN force in Golan Heights
- France joins US against Islamic State over Iraq
- Sweden: Russian military jets violate air space
- Donetsk cleans up from shelling in eastern Ukraine
- France strikes Islamic State group depot in Iraq
- Bahrain: Protesters dismiss government plans
- Quebec separatists look for positives in Scot vote
- 3 Eastern European countries form joint brigade
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!