Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bobby Brown's sister vows family feud is just beginning
- William S. Morris IV named CEO of Morris Communications Co.
- Confederate flag support rally held at Stone Mountain Park
- The Latest: Memorial service for Bobbi Kristina Brown ends
- The Latest: Controversy erupts at service for Bobbi Kristina
- Standing desks starting to catch on at Robins Air Force Base
- The Latest: Mourners arrive for funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Coast Guard rescues 2 women off the coast of Georgia
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot worth $222,949.83
- Lucky Money jackpot rises to $1.8 million
- Schumer calls for upgrades in stretch limo standards
- The Nation's Weather
- Photos of endangered animals shine on Empire State Building
- Woman gets probation in boyfriend's death by neglect
- Dr. Dre announces release of first album in 15 years
- NYC health official expects more Legionnaires' disease cases
- Verizon strike possible as contract deadline looms
- Q&A on possible extradition for dentist who killed lion
- Firefighter killed, hundreds flee as California blazes burn
- Officials: 4th NYC person with Legionnaires' disease dies
- Malaysia seeks help to expand search for MH370 debris
- Saudi citizen killed by incoming fire from neighboring Yemen
- Zimbabwe confirms lion named Jericho has not been shot
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29
- Australia's House speaker quits over travel expense scrutiny
- US Secretary of State John Kerry meets Egyptian officials
- Afghan Taliban issues statement quoting Haqqani group leader
- 2 soldiers dead, 24 wounded in suicide attack in Turkey
- China to close Beijing's airports during military parade
- Mexico news photographer found slain in capital
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!