Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s away from the city)
Sunday: Mostly sunny and even warmer. ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Officer shoots teen outside stadium during game
- Democratic Rep. Barrow works for GOP votes in Ga.
- Ga. polls open statewide for Saturday voting
- Ban on plastic bags proposed for Tybee Island
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- More than 335,000 have voted early in Georgia
- Woman at Ga. homeless camp wounded in knife attack
- Police: Mom, infant rescued from Savannah river
- Hacker gets prison for cyberattack stealing $9.4M
- Across US, Dems enlist Latinas for top of ballot
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop school shooter
- Woman quarantined in NJ shows no signs of Ebola
- Obama: Science, not fear, key to Ebola response
- Dallas nurse receives thanks, hug from Obama
- Timeline for New York doctor who has Ebola
- Ebola-stricken doc described as driven do-gooder
- School gunman was homecoming prince, students say
- School gunman was Homecoming prince, students say
- Marine death is 1st in campaign against IS
- Extremists shell northern Syrian town
- Suicide attack kills 8 Shiite militiamen in Iraq
- Ukraine pauses before decisive vote
- Number of Islamic extremists growing in Germany
- Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
- Expert: 8,000 more Rohingya flee Myanmar
- 15 jailed for life in Argentina 'dirty war' trial
- Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai
- Brazil presidential rivals face off in debate
- Malaysian officer back to face New Zealand charges
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!