Saturday: Increasing clouds and a little warmer with an afternoon high in the upper 50s to even near 60 in spots. A southeast wind at 5-10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy with ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta VA names new assistant director
- Jury convicts man in death of Statesboro preacher
- Gang members get prison time for violent crimes
- Ex-Ga. letter carrier gets prison in robbery plot
- 2 charged in infant starvation on suicide watch
- Ex-Savannah-Chatham police chief convicted
- Marietta man gets 20 yearsin Christmas shooting
- Suspicious package near CDC snarls traffic
- Ex-Gov. Perdue defends "Go Fish" center in Perry
- Ethics complaint dropped against Cobb Co. chairman
- San Francisco window washer falls onto moving car
- Burglars break into home, steal husband's ashes
- Ex-state worker charged with stealing 610 helmets
- Officer testifies about New York chokehold death
- Wolf travels hundreds of miles to northern Arizona
- Obama to Ferguson: 'Keep protests peaceful'
- Audit: Ill NYC inmates leaving jail need more care
- Investigators may have recovered lost IRS emails
- FBI sends nearly 100 additional agents to Ferguson
- Seagull with dart through neck spotted at park
- UN committee urges Myanmar action on Rohingya
- Mexico's Colima volcano spouts ash, hot rock
- Puerto Rico legislators to debate oil tax increase
- 2 in Puerto Rico accused of posing as policemen
- Latin America applauds Obama's immigration plan
- Burkina Faso ex-leader's remains to be examined
- Thousands press for term limits in Togo protests
- Kerry cancels plans to pull back from nuke talks
- Macedonian environmentalists blast city crow hunt
- Polish, British troops hold exercise
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!