Tonight: Clouds returning and not as cold with an overnight low in the mid to upper 40s. An east to northeast wind at 10mph.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance for showers south, especially late day. A cooler afternoon high in the low/mid ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Developers interested in baseball stadium property
- US Chamber endorses Kingston in Ga. Senate race
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Atlanta airport officials mulling terminal hotel
- Geico planning middle Ga. expansion
- Acting Cumberland Island chief to stay permanently
- Old meat processing site now island research lab
- Water main break floods Atlanta street
- Atlanta Braves change policy on guns in stadium
- Man killed, woman wounded in Union City shooting
- Homeland Security reissues immigrant asylum rules
- Woman, teenager found dead in Lake Erie; 2 missing
- Texas town honors 15 killed in year-ago explosion
- 2 long-time friends discuss the First Amendment
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Flight lands safely in Indiana after threat
- Condition upgraded for victim of firetruck crash
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Oregon ruling spurs halt on immigration detainers
- Woman convicted in hammer beating speaks to jury
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 4-5 believed buried
- Royal couple enjoy sheep-shearing demo Down Under
- Rob Ford acknowledges "rocky moments" at rally
- Dutch man's case linked to Amanda Todd
- Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts
- Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd
- Argentina considers crackdown on street protests
- Was captain among first to leave?
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!