Today: Mostly sunny and breezy. Highs in the low 80s with wind from the North 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. A few showers ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 4 Ga. kids hurt by rolling car, charges filed
- 4 children left in locked SUV, Ga. woman arrested
- Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case
- GA police officer resigns after shooting man's dog
- Man dies in Ga. country club landscaping accident
- SC congressmen say SRS has money for fuel project
- Latvian fiber glass company announces Ga. project
- GA wildlife refuge managers move nuisance gators
- SC mom's arrest sparks child care debate
- UGA Pharmacy students plan tobacco cessation class
- Miller faces sales job on $17B VA health care bill
- Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
- With Israel at war, US lawmakers give full support
- $1,000 pill now hepatitis C treatment of choice
- Conn. man cleared in killing seeks compensation
- Hiker, 13, missing in California national park
- No verdict, no mistrial yet in Ventura libel case
- NYC uses food trucks to bring summer meals to kids
- Whale watching boat snagged by lobster trap rope
- Israel target symbols of Hamas control in Gaza
- UN presses for Mali peace talks starting Aug. 17
- Brazil's leader calls Gaza conflict 'a massacre'
- Dominican officials destroy 2,000 seized guns
- France offers asylum to Christians of north Iraq
- Malta oil worker kidnapped in Libya released
- Bolivian president seeks votes in the bedroom
- Iraq police find 17 bodies, some bound, in Baghdad
- Syrian army casualties surge, raising death toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
- Poland, Britain call for more sanctions on Russia
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!