Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
Tennessee Gov. Bill
Haslam is being urged to veto a proposal that would protect teachers who
allow students to criticize evolution and other scientific theories,
such as global warming.
Several opponents of the legislation delivered a petition containing
more than 3,000 signatures against the measure to Haslam spokesman David
Smith outside the governor's office at the Capitol on Thursday.
Smith did not talk to reporters but told those who brought the petition he would make sure the governor got it.
Haslam has said he will sign the proposal, which encourages critical
thinking by protecting teachers from discipline if they help students
critique "scientific weaknesses."
Scientists in Tennessee and the American Association for the Advancement
of Science say evolution is established science that shouldn't be
taught as a controversy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.)Haslam Urged to Veto Evolution Bill
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Boy killed in south Georgia house fire
- Ga. child fatality review panels falling short
- 2 killed in southeast Atlanta home invasion
- Ga. eyeing recruitment at annual tech, media fest
- NW Georgia town eyes drone to film celebration
- Forum on human trafficking planned for Lithonia
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- 1st blind hiker to trek Appalachian Trail dies
- Light earthquake felt in Anchorage
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at NY trial
- US-based firm's workers on plane headed to meeting
- Orthodox NYC Jews protest proposed Israeli draft
- Family of Texas man on flight comforted by faith
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas
- NYC guard-inmate sex scandal triggers jail review
- Rhode Island's hot wiener: Don't call it a hot dog
- Obama plays final round before Fla. vacation ends
- Interpol: No one checked database for 2 stolen passports
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Israel: 40 rockets in alleged Iranian shipment
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Iraqi minister speaks out on plane-landing denial
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Libya says its forces now near oil tanker
- Libya orders use of force against oil tanker
- Egypt military chief launches housing initiative
- Mother arrested in stabbing deaths of 3 children
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!