Tonight: A partly cloudy, then fair sky with an overnight low in the low 60s.
Wednesday: ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- All Ga. counties now deemed ready for Hollywood
- Utility, solar industry to debate price of energy
- Wilson, Woods draw contrasts at education forum
- Atlanta airport closing runway for maintenance
- Pair identified in metro Atlanta murder-suicide
- Deal, Carter duel over education at Atlanta forum
- Ebola patient in Omaha continues improving
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault
- Ex-teacher indicted in molestation case
- 2 arrested in fatal shooting over game system
- NY boat crash: Criminal case ends, lawsuits await
- NYer to be sentenced in fatal girlfriend stabbing
- Mom charged in son's 1991 murder is due in court
- Trump Plaza: 4th Atlantic City casino shutdown
- Street gangs tone down use of colors, tattoos
- Profile of gunman who ambushed troopers released
- DOJ extremism fight could take cue from Minnesota
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to fight Ebola
- Trio of California wildfires destroy or damage scores of homes; thousands evacuated
- Lava enters vacant lots in Big Island subdivision
- Suicide attack kills 3 NATO troops
- Syria aircraft crashes in city held by IS group
- Russia's ruble drops to historic low
- Dirty water raising health risk in flooded Kashmir
- Militants attack Pakistani post near Afghan border
- Turkey could accept Muslim Brotherhood leaders
- Pakistan warplanes kill 20 militants in northwest
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber targets foreign convoy
- Typhoon hits southern China, heads to Vietnam
- Philippines' Mayon volcano showing signs of unrest
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!