Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- New medical marijuana bill in Senate weaker than House form
- Mother of Georgia man killed by police denies he was armed
- Fort Carson female soldier advances to Ranger training
- Ala. authorities say Ga. man dies beneath overturned trailer
- Tybee Island council, mayor may get 1st pay raise in years
- Court hearing set in crash that killed Savannah jazz bassist
- Electrical short in van blamed for fire at Albany body shop
- Man dead, woman critically injured in shootings near Atlanta
- Georgia to execute only woman on state's death row
- Residents of senior center displaced after water main break
- Man accused of al-Qaida plot tells US jury he's no terrorist
- Southern California beach turned white by hail from storm
- Southern California teacher found dead in classroom
- Cops: Man taped women in fitting rooms, shared on porn sites
- Trial on hold after black-market 'body sculptor' falls ill
- Independent probe urged in Los Angeles police killing
- Ming-Na Wen: 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' role makes me a cool mom
- Sex offender who fled Canada for Seattle arrested in rape
- Cell records at Hernandez trial show movement day of killing
- High court nixes quick release of health care argument audio
- Egypt names Cuper from Argentina to lead its soccer team
- Iran's Guard monitored 8 million Facebook users
- Romanian parliament approves new spy chief
- Reporter jailed in Iran gets lawyer after more than 7 months
- Iraqi military not yet in Tikrit
- Greece: Turkey withdraws planned military exercise in Aegean
- Boko Haram video shows 2 beheaded men accused of spying
- Estonian premier aims for coalition talks to create new govt
- Fidel Castro meets with 5 Cuban agents once held by US
- US, Venezuelan officials meet amid rising diplomatic tension
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!