Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s away from the city)
Sunday: Mostly sunny and even warmer. An afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s.
Partly sunny and near 80 by Monday. This trend continues ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Officer shoots teen outside stadium during game
- State plan is aimed at helping Alabama veterans
- State schools chief says he's applied for Rome job
- In Ga. Senate race, Ted Cruz stumps for Perdue
- Athens-Clarke County police name interim chief
- Democratic Rep. Barrow works for GOP votes in Ga.
- Ga. polls open statewide for Saturday voting
- Ban on plastic bags proposed for Tybee Island
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- Found remains of WWII vet to be buried in Oakland
- Cuomo: Ebola quarantine may be hard to enforce
- Ships idle off Los Angeles amid port problems
- School shooting investigation
- Gold nugget found in California finds secret buyer
- Dallas nurse who survived Ebola must wait for dog
- Hawaii officials warn of possible lava evacuation
- Darrell Wallace Jr. wins at Martinsville again
- Health care worker criticizes quarantine process
- Yosemite rangers try to keep hungry bears at bay
- Tunisians vote in historic elections
- Afghan mullah jailed for 20 years for rape
- Ukraine votes to overhaul parliament
- Botswana's ruling party wins election
- US: Power to visit Ebola-ravaged West Africa
- Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
- Top Israeli minister: 'crisis' in US relationship
- Nanny of Venezuelan ex-minister arrested in Brazil
- Opposition rejects Mozambique's election results
- Mussolini air raid shelter opens to tourists
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!