Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bobbi Kristina Brown to be buried next to mother
- Police make arrest in killing of man in Hyatt Place hotel
- Woman dies after being found unresponsive in Lake Lanier
- 'Preacher Pimp' painting prompts protests in Middle Georgia
- Driver killed when car plunges from bridge in east Georgia
- Woman believed to have drowned in Lake Lanier
- 5 bystanders shot as dispute turns to gunfire in Savannah
- HERO worker critically injured in Atlanta freeway crash
- Boy, 3, found in lake after boat-watching trip with dad
- Marchers cross Alabama on Day 2 of 'Journey for Justice'
- Co-founder of Mr. Coffee company dies in Ohio at age 91
- US wildlife agency says app can help log endangered species
- Another report of drone near JFK
- Retailers to pay New York $300,000 in toy gun settlement
- Containment of raging California wildfire jumps
- Pennsylvania woman to enter plea in Chinese test-taking plot
- Top House Dem on intelligence panel backs Iran nuclear deal
- Man throws chain saws at deputy during East Texas chase
- Massachusetts woman's chicken getting $2,500 prosthetic leg
- Hundreds of strangers mourn Ohio girl found dead in crib
- Hunters in Africa say they have a role in conservation
- UK state to start selling shares in nationalized bank RBS
- Cranes fall on houses in Netherlands, injuries reported
- Creators of destroyed hitchhiking robot mull rebuild
- UN states set goal to end poverty, hunger in next 15 years
- Investigators for missing Malaysia flight meet in Paris
- Zimbabwean operator says American hunter didn't break law
- Death toll from Pakistan flash floods rises to 118
- Indian government, key northeast rebel group sign peace deal
- Gulf Arabs welcome Iran nuke deal but seek further assurance
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!