Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia releases first results of new standardized test
- Man shot to death while visiting friends in Atlanta
- Authorities say man's body found after fire at Canton home
- Ludacris kicks off 10th annual LudaDay with celebrities
- Atlanta Ballet's artistic director ending tenure at company
- 2 Georgia men charged in North Dakota in bad checks scam
- 4 men arrested in meth bust at apartment
- Mental health counselor, workers indicted in Medicaid fraud
- New project at Atlanta museum focuses on LGBT civil rights
- Police seek emails from DeKalb CEO in fraud investigation
- Man accused of kidnap hoax, bombing ex-wife's house
- The Latest: Austria to confront Hungary on migrant treatment
- Washington Supreme Court rules against Backpage.com
- NY day care worker who left toddlers at mall gets probation
- Florida Supreme Court denies Waffle House murderer's appeal
- Man shoots self while trying to show gun wouldn't fire
- The Latest: Doctor testifies on man hurt in police encounter
- Immigrants, refugees to receive papal blessing in NYC
- The Latest: 1 Marine killed, 11 hurt in helicopter incident
- ACLU, Muslim inmates sue over Miami-Dade jail meal policy
- Nigerian army reinstates more than 3,000 soldiers fired
- Official: 9,500 Nigerian refugees return from Cameroon
- UN to vote on lifting some secrecy around choosing top job
- Lebanon activists stage hunger strike, want minister to quit
- Uganda: 12 soldiers killed in Somalia attack
- Egypt sentences 2 women to 6 months for racy music videos
- Boat overturns on Mali lake, killing at least 18 people
- Iran Parliament speaker expects heated debate on nuke deal
- Iraq: Separate bomb attacks kill 11 in and around Baghdad
- Romania prime minister wants his corruption case resolved
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!