Today: Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Showers at times. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Tonight: Still some passing showers during the evening. Windy and much ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Man who says he hoarded convicted of murder
- Painted faces at parks need painstaking removal
- Don't forget to set your clocks back
- Pentagon gives defense civilians options on Ebola
- 2 adult human skulls found in trash in Connecticut
- Man: Son bought 2 human skulls online 'as a joke'
- Downtown Phoenix hotel reopens after fire closure
- No-fly list challenge survives state-secrets claim
- California storm dampens Giants parade, Halloween
- Ohio man held in North Korea hoped to aid church
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
- Head of UK sex-abuse inquiry quits
- Canadian gets life sentence in Mounties shootings
- Colombians jailed in Venezuela for $15 grocery run
- Italy phases out sea rescues to save migrants
- Army general takes power in Burkina Faso
- 12 men trapped in Colombia coal mine collapse
- EU confirms North Korea invite for rights visit
- Remains recovered from Ukraine plane disaster site
- US ambassador says she's monitoring for Ebola
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!