Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Firefighters rescue puppy from 75-foot well north of Atlanta
- 2 men killed in pair of Fourth of July shootings in Columbus
- Man drowns in Chattahoochee River northwest of Atlanta
- Girl, 16, killed by stray bullet that enters her home
- Police: Vet steals Humvee from Ga. base, runs from SC cops
- Off-duty police officer, infant killed in 2-vehicle crash
- Drone supporters say ban around Georgia Capitol goes too far
- Augusta nonprofit helping students gets accreditation
- Demolition work begins on homes near Robins Air Force Base
- Study: Ga. teachers, state workers pay more for health care
- Interview: Suspect in SF pier attack admits he shot woman
- Las Vegas completing last straw to draw Lake Mead water
- Sheriff: 4 dead inside SC home; no search for suspect
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Infant found on the side of the road in Maryland
- 5 injured when man sets fireworks at California block party
- Illegal fireworks suspected in factory, grass fires
- 6 injured in 4th of July lightning strike at RV park
- Arizona prison to relocate more than 350 additional inmates
- Boy, 7, killed during violent July 4 celebrations in Chicago
- Thai authorities seize illegal ivory at airport
- The Latest: Greek FM resigns after bailout vote
- Heritage title for Japan industry sites draws mixed reaction
- Conservative Argentine candidate wins 1st round of election
- Saskatchewan to get military help to fight wildfires
- The Latest: Pope makes surprise foray outside his residence
- The Latest: Pope took time during flight to greet press
- 3 dead, 13 hurt after bomb blast at checkpoint in Kandahar
- Bomb attacks on Shiite districts kill 15 people in Iraq
- A royal milestone: Britain's Princess Charlotte christened at church on queen's estate
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!