Rain should taper off Monday morning, then drier and milder late Monday with highs in the 60s. Gradually ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta's Fernbank Museum set to expand
- Mourners gather to remember ex-Gov. Sanders
- Body of missing Georgia man found in NC
- Accounting oversight triggers Ga. hospital layoffs
- Georgia State to create media production center
- Interim presidents named at 2 GA universities
- UGA looks to boost research funds
- Bus hits plane at Atlanta airport; no one hurt
- Savannah police get help against surge in violence
- Atlanta VA names new assistant director
- Rhodes scholars for class of 2015 announced
- Jewish settlers blamed in Palestinian house fire
- Baby girl accidentally shot in New York City home
- Officer shoots boy holding fake gun at rec center
- Bighorn sheep dies after escaping from LA Zoo
- Utah midwife ordered to face trial in baby's death
- UMaine fans fail to set world record for flannel
- Cops: Dad errantly shoots, kills son while hunting
- City's 'ugly' Christmas tree prompts public outcry
- Cops: Naked suspect assaults man, 84, at airport
- Iran: Nuclear talks may focus on extension soon
- Officials say car bomb kills 7 people in Iraq
- Migrants rescued off Cyprus' north coast
- Iraqi premier orders help for fighters battling IS
- 'Blind Massage' big Golden Horse winner in Taiwan
- Somalia's al-Shabab kills 28 non-Muslims in Kenya
- Poland's ruling party wins local elections
- Morocco to celebrate birth of its royal twins
- Russian tourist arrested for vandalizing Colosseum
- Hitler watercolor sold for $162,000 at auction
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!