Tonight: Clear and chilly with an overnight low in the city near 40. 30s away from the city. Patchy frost possible in outlying areas and local mountains.
Thursday: Sunny and a little warmer through the afternoon with a high ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Deal, Carter discuss gun laws, reforms at forum
- Group blocks Atlanta freeway in police protest
- Authorities in Ga. arrest 18 in child porn raids
- Body recovered from burned out car in Clarke Co.
- Fort Stewart deploying 32 soldiers to fight Ebola
- Georgia Aquarium says beluga whale is pregnant
- Ga. hospital to pay $8.4 million in settlement
- Feds find no violations at SC nuke fuel plant
- Deal promises review of Georgia's school funding
- Rome leaders consider trail to link area colleges
- Wildlife rehab for bear found in Oregon drugstore
- Protest against police brutality blocks Ga freeway
- Vandalism reported at 5 National Parks
- Nebraska trucker returns bull mastiff to Arizona
- Teens' travel renews concerns about terror appeal
- Colorado girls make possible bid to join militants
- Van replaces Oregon city's $1 million library
- No verdict yet in trial of Tsarnaev's friend
- Senator blasts CIA for censoring `torture' report
- Princess in cockfighting case gets probation
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- No motive cited in Ottawa attack
- Gunman, soldier dead after shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Mexico: Mayor linked to deadly attack on students
- Tourists watch solar alignment in Egypt temple
- Canada had raised domestic terror threat level yesterday
- Ottawa hospital says it treated 3 shooting victims
- Witness describes shooting of soldier at Canadian war memorial
- Mexican military kills 19, suffers no casualties
- WHO: Ebola responsible for more than 4,800 deaths
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!