Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman shot, killed by police south of Atlanta
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Va. Gov. McAuliffe to tour tornado damage
- Deadly fungus spreads in Everglades, killing trees
- Little sunlight as Obama raises super PAC dollars
- Central American leaders convening at White House
- Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- APNewsBreak: Gun law based on flawed estimate
- Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor
- Ohio State band marches on after director's firing
- Exoneration hearing set for convicted rapist
- Russia raises key rate amid Ukraine concerns
- Norway: group from Syria en route to commit terror
- Jordan shoots down 'aerial target' near Syria
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants; 5 dead
- German airlines cancel more Tel Aviv flights
- Australia readies 90 police for Ukraine crash site
- Surgeons in India remove 232 teeth from teen
- Ukraine reports overnight rebel attacks on border
- Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!