Tonight: Partly cloudy with a few showers. Low in the mid to upper 60s.
Saturday: Partly to mostly cloudy with showers ... More...
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 1 person injured in Savannah shooting
- Nunn asks for 5 debates in Senate race
- 2 US Ebola victims to arrive at metro Atlanta base
- Fund set up for woman who was attacked on trail
- Duke: Oconee didn't do everything to prevent leak
- 1st piece in place for zip line over Chattahoochee
- Brookhaven police make arrests after man is killed
- Tropical Storm Bertha approaching the Caribbean
- Low cost carrier to begin flying between Ga., Va.
- Ga. juvenile justice dept. adds ombudsman's office
- Ebola forces Mormon missionaries from West Africa
- 2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital
- Rare whale fossil pulled from California backyard
- States try to land Tesla despite Nevada groundwork
- How the Dow Jones average fared Friday
- Fired Ohio band head's backers sets up legal fund
- House moves toward vote on border bill
- Lab who walked 30 miles back home adopted
- After chokehold death, NYC mayor sends sympathy
- Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
- China bladder trade sending porpoise to extinction
- Searchers find remains at Malaysia Airlines crash site
- Remains of Air Algerie crash victims now in Paris
- Iran opens first state-run alcohol rehab center
- 62 killed in Gaza; Israeli soldier feared captured
- Uruguayan pot marketplace may go up in smoke
- UN chief blames Hamas for breaking cease-fire
- Gunmen kill another Somali lawmaker in Mogadishu
- Tunisia closes borders with Libya after violence
- Investigators set up base near wreckage of Malaysia Airlines plane
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!