Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Man calls 911 after fatally stabbing girlfriend
- Records: Georgia, Alabama governors meet on water dispute
- Employers to seek to fill jobs at northeast Georgia job fair
- Atlanta airport set to open new northbound entrance
- Man killed in shooting at DeKalb apartment complex
- Woman killed in Clayton County stabbing
- Feds indict 1 after noose put on Ole Miss integration statue
- 2 Georgia men sentenced for robbing postal workers
- Senate sends bill detailing school takeover to governor
- Police chief: Shooting investigation to be reviewed by GBI
- Utility found 'hazardous situation' months before NYC blast
- Pence: Effort to 'clarify' religious objections law underway
- Wildfire grows in Montana, but ski area evacuation lifted
- Painstaking search continues after NYC blast, but hope dims
- 7 shot and injured at Florida spring break house party
- Chicago universities study astronaut on 1 year space mission
- Wildfire threatens Montana ski area, forcing evacuation
- LA commuter train hits car, partially derails; 21 hurt
- LA commuter train hits car, partially derails; 22 hurt
- Alabama DB Geno Smith arrested on DUI charge
- Officials: Iran nuke talks solving some issues, not others
- Egyptian militant group claims Cairo University bombing
- Sri Lankan president's brother dies in axe attack
- Kerry cancels plan to return to US to stay at Iran talks
- France's far-right breakthrough expected in local elections
- Pakistan sending plane to evacuate those stranded in Yemen
- Eiffel Tower goes dark in symbolic move for Earth Hour
- Australia signs up to negotiations on Chinese-led bank
- 4 killed while trying to recover gasoline after Mexico crash
- Afghan court sentences AP journalist's killer to 20 years
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!