Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
With a gift of $100,000 from The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds, PEF and Hamilton County Department of Education worked with Hillcrest Elementary to develop grade-level appropriate libraries in every classroom. A wide selection of books, arranged in accessible bookcases and cubbies, is now available to each child at Hillcrest. In addition, soft cushions and chairs on colorful rugs and bright reading lights encourage students to select a book and immerse themselves in literature and learning.
“Our students absolutely love reading a variety of books, but they only get to visit the school library once a week,” states Angelia Askins, principal of Hillcrest. “Thanks to this incredible grant, every student can visit the Book Nook and choose from a wide variety of books in their classroom daily. We’re excited to see our students’ enjoyment of books – as well as their literacy skills – grow as a result of this generous investment.”
Yet again The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds have generously invested in a Hamilton County elementary school. “Leonore Annenberg was committed to improving the lives of children, particularly those living in poverty,” says PEF president Dan Challener. “This grant certainly underscores the heart of her mission to provide students resources to help them shine brightly.”
In the past three years, The Leonore Annenberg Scholarship, Fellowship and School Funds has granted over $500,000 to support elementary schools in Chattanooga, including a new visual and multimedia art studio at Hardy, a multimedia library center at Rivermont, a technology center at Clifton Hills, and a playground and science lab at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy.
About the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children
The Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania, provides educational resources of immediate and direct value to schools serving children with great need. Visit www.leonoreannenbergscholarships.org for more information.
PEF is an advocate for the region and Hamilton County schools and its teachers, leaders, and students. For almost 25 years, we have worked in partnership with Hamilton County schools and provide training, research, and resources to teachers, principals, and schools. Our mission is to increase student achievement so all our students succeed in learning and in life. PEF has helped to bring more than $60 million in supplemental, philanthropic funding to the school system to help achieve that mission.
Hillcrest Elementary Celebrates $100,000 Investment
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 3 former jail workers to stand trial in death of Georgia man
- Georgia native among 6 service members killed in Afghanistan
- Trooper fired for driving fast in crash that killed 2 teens
- Georgia man among 6 airmen killed in Afghanistan
- DA: Officer charged for fatally striking pedestrian with car
- CAU holds 95th anniversary for school of social work
- The Latest: Joaquin starts to move away from Bahamas
- Trooper fired
- Former deputy admits to child molestation charges, sentenced
- Convicted killer accidentally released caught in Atlanta
- Benton, Washington residents readying for tax proposals
- The Latest: South Carolina capital pounded by rain
- 'Natural' cigarette maker subject of class-action lawsuit
- FDNY: 12 injured when bus crashes into Queens home
- FDNY: 1 dead, 3 others injured in apparent gas blast
- Biden: No question transgender people can serve in military
- The Latest: Hurricane Joaquin moving toward Bermuda
- Official: 25 hurt in collapse of concrete awning at school
- Water filter distribution starts for residents in Flint
- Authorities investigate freeway shooting in Phoenix suburb
- The Latest: Search resumes for ship missing off the Bahamas
- Suicide bomber in Niger attacks near police station
- Bermuda next up to feel the effects of Hurricane Joaquin
- The Latest: Israeli-Palestinian tensions soar after attacks
- Syria President: Russia campaign against terror must succeed
- Dubai ruler launches aid and development foundation
- Turkey says Russian airstrikes in Syria 'unacceptable'
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
- Doctors Without Borders leaves Afghan city after airstrike
- Jordanian MP says son joined IS, carried out suicide attack
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!