Tonight: Scattered evening t-showers, then a better chance of showers and storms late tonight. Lows near 70.
Thursday: ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Head of troubled CDC anthrax lab has resigned
- Tropical depression weakens to tropical wave
- Fund set up for injured firefighters
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Tropical depression approaching Lesser Antilles
- DeKalb District Attorney to receive national honor
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Ga. group to address jail gangs, contraband
- Ga. lottery turns 21, launches Kia promotion
- Jury: Man stabbed ex 84 times, put pig mask on her
- Funeral set for NYC man who died during arrest
- Appeal court asked to unblock Florida gay marriage
- Dole, vets groups renew push for disability treaty
- Duran Duran accuses fan club of contract breach
- Man asked to leave Southwest flight over tweet
- Gunman who wounded 2 Texas officers found dead
- Trump: DC hotel will be among world's best
- Bourbon St. shooting suspect appears in court
- Report: No crime committed at immigrant cemetery
- 2 bombs kill at least 25 in Kaduna, north Nigeria
- Dutch say black box damaged but voice data ok
- Envoy urges UN to demand halt to Iraq extremists
- Gaza battle rages as US pushes for truce
- Iraq lawmakers postpone vote on new president
- Rebels confirm downing of two Ukrainian fighter jets
- Owner of Mexican shelter defends tough love
- UN rights chief warns of possible Gaza war crimes
- Report: Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing 51 people
- Somali lawmaker shot dead in drive-by shooting
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!