HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Couple wanted in 1992 cold case arrested in central Georgia
- Georgians denied diplomas may petition for one under new law
- 2 teens accused of stealing cars from valet lots arrested
- Gov. Deal announces new program to honor Vietnam veterans
- Partial skeleton found in Hall County
- Officers identified in fatal Smyrna police shooting
- Panel expected to review Ga. religious freedom bill canceled
- Spelman College names new president
- Jurors to resume deliberations in school cheating trial
- As young owls spread wings, online viewing of nest nears end
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Jury awards $38.5 million-plus in fatal shooting at plant
- Report: Hawaii supervisor manipulated veterans' benefit data
- Porbeagle shark may be listed as endangered species
- Christie backs proposed stricter abortion regulations
- Carter says US policy on Iran-backed forces will hold
- Pentagon chief backs concept of a joint Arab military force
- Theater shooting prosecutors say unbiased jury possible
- SUV crashes into Long Island storefront, killing customer
- Parents of Colorado theater shooter pray for victims daily
- Canada approves extension and expansion of IS mission
- Mexico double-transplant patient gets US humanitarian pass
- Prosecutors probe Moldova ex-president's son for corruption
- Azerbaijan starts trial of 6 alleged Islamic State militants
- Red Cross truck attacked in Mali; 1 dead, 1 wounded
- Palestinians, Israeli Arabs mark 'Land Day'
- Wartime land mines kill 5 Iranian border guards, shepherd
- Evo Morales' party loses La Paz in Bolivian elections
- Report: Iran journalist defects while covering nuclear talks
- UK judge: Suspect in Litvinenko death can testify at inquiry
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!