Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- 1st blind hiker to trek Appalachian Trail dies
- Police seek car suspected of Savannah vandalism
- Feds tightening security at Brunswick courthouse
- Savannah police search for driver who damaged park
- GOP Senate candidates will meet in Macon debate
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- Loud noise complaint leads to NYC heroin bust
- Pilot killed in fighter jet crash is identified
- Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Dozens arrested at Massachusetts 'Blarney Blowout'
- Maryland governor derides tea party, urges unity
- Long-time Obama aide to leave White House
- Family says Texas man on missing Malaysian plane
- Sheriff names snowmobiler killed in Utah avalanche
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Arms ship captured by Israeli navy arrives at port
- EU foreign policy chief arrives in Iran for talks
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Suicide bomber uses Iraq police Humvee in attack
- Iran president criticizes hard-liners over media
- Pro-Russia forces mount pressure on Ukrainians
- 2 dozen children die in drought-hit south Pakistan
- Police: Afghan district chief killed by bomb
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!