HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Plane that skidded through fence at LaGuardia is removed
- Judge sets May sentencing for mom found guilty of murder
- Woman hospitalized with burn injuries after house fire
- Police search for motorist after woman killed in hit-and-run
- Search is on for escaped inmate in northwest Georgia
- Cell phone lot at Atlanta airport closing for road work
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- 'Dr. Phil': To air 'intervention with Bobbi Brown's partner
- Report: Suicides by girls and young women continue to climb
- Ga. Senate passes controversial 'religious freedom' bill
- Authorities: Retired University of Florida professor killed
- Man arrested after calling 911 to say wife stole his cocaine
- 'Heroic' Detroit judge was wounded trying to protect family
- Kentucky roads plowed, but still hazardous
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- NASA craft circling Ceres in first visit to dwarf planet
- In open letter, victim calls marathon bomber 'a nobody'
- Police: 2 brothers charged in officer's death
- Media coalition asks to unseal records in Jesse Matthew case
- Hearing delayed for man charged in Maryland shootings
- Pair in alleged Halifax mall murder plot get new court date
- Dutch investigating old soap for traces of Holocaust victims
- UN says it has not received any Ukraine peacekeeping request
- BBC exec 'sickened' at phone hacking by UK's Mirror tabloids
- German court gives man 6-year sentence over PKK role
- Imprisoned Ukrainian ready to end hunger strike, lawyers say
- Greek ultra-right lawmaker on trial over TV talk show slap
- EU considers sending officers abroad to assess migrant needs
- New law allows pensions for workers in Nazis' Polish ghettos
- Frenchman on trial for helping 14-year-old trying to join IS
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!