HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Correction: Slaying Plot-Sentence story
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race
- SEC files charges against Atlanta investment firm
- Army sergeant sentenced in 2013 Afghan fuel bribery scheme
- GOP presidential prospect Kasich heads to Georgia, SC
- Study: Severe vision loss is most common in the South
- 3 ex-DeKalb County workers sentenced in overtime theft plot
- Highway crash kills Georgia musician during wheelchair trek
- Feds charge 2 in NY, 1 in Georgia in alleged gang killings
- US State Dept. employee faces cyberstalking, hacking charges
- Obama to address anti-Semitism at Jewish congregation
- Senate expected to act on NSA collection of phone records
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Obama's Senate allies hope to endorse his trade bill Friday
- Fla. mom jailed in son's circumcision case due before judge
- Tuk-tuk taxi maker aims to make inroads in US
- Cleveland calmly awaits decisions in 3 killings by police
- Armed elderly woman engages California deputies in standoff
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Massachusetts House speaker stuck in school during lockdown
- Cameron promises tough times for EU ahead of referendum
- Ireland votes on legalizing gay marriage; verdict Saturday
- World Bank: Gaza economy on 'verge of collapse'
- Son of former Honduras president arrested in Haiti
- Terror suspect wanted in US wins Irish case, walks free
- Merkel, Hollande and Tsipras talk about Greek bailout woes
- Guatemala interior minister resigns amid political crisis
- Report: Iranian ship with Yemen aid has arrived in Djibouti
- UN looks into aid possibly diverted to Syrian military
- Macedonian premier's plane makes emergency landing
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!