Today: A mix of clouds and sun with an afternoon high in the upper 40s to near 50. A North wind 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible late. An overnight low in the upper 30s. The rain could fall as a light wintry mix at higher ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-Cub Scout leader sent to prison in child molestation case
- Dalton police officer faces child molestation charge
- Gwinnett County school board approves new attendance zones
- Ga. police offer holiday shipping safety tips
- Ga. public health officials craft driver safety programs
- Woodruff Arts Center receives $120,000 grant
- Ga. man arrested in insurance fraud scheme
- Ga. official picked for president's task force
- Ga. Guard troops home from Afghanistan in time for holidays
- Ga. audit highlights questionable state spending
- 3.2 quake recorded in Oregon
- Obama closing 2014 with year-end news conference
- Gold tooth dropped into Missouri donation kettle
- Pa. couple charged in boy's death waives hearing
- James Holmes' parents plead against death penalty
- Hearing set for restrictive NYC jail dorm
- Weird weather lingers in Alaska's largest city
- China's wealth finds home in Washington state
- Marathon bombing survivor in 'Yes to Dress' finale
- US agriculture has big appetite for Cuba trade
- Kenya president signs controversial new security law
- Russia to seek 10 years in prison for opposition activist
- CERN nuclear physics lab admits Pakistan
- Britain moves closer to allowing women in combat
- Israel grants Palestinian permits for Christmas
- Turkish court orders custody for 4 following raids
- 5 die in Mozambique floods
- UN chief visits Ebola-ravaged West African nations
- Polish school honors Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel
- Sri Lankan opposition pledges war crime inquiry
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!