Today: Partly sunny and breezy. Highs in the middle 80s with wind from the Northwest 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60s.
Mostly clear skies for Tuesday through Wednesday with ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 4 Ga. kids hurt by rolling car, charges filed
- 4 children left in locked SUV, Ga. woman arrested
- Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case
- GA police officer resigns after shooting man's dog
- Man dies in Ga. country club landscaping accident
- SC congressmen say SRS has money for fuel project
- Latvian fiber glass company announces Ga. project
- GA wildlife refuge managers move nuisance gators
- SC mom's arrest sparks child care debate
- UGA Pharmacy students plan tobacco cessation class
- Overnight bombardment shakes Gaza
- White House: EU, US to impose new Russia sanctions
- Whale watching boat snagged by lobster trap rope
- Expert testifies in Wisconsin baby kidnapping case
- US: Russia violated 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- FBI defends search for Oklahoma City bombing video
- Rare storm at California beach hard to see coming
- 2 military satellites launched on Delta 4 rocket
- Judge tosses most serious charges in foiled plot
- All tickets claimed for LeBron's homecoming show
- UN presses for Mali peace talks starting Aug. 17
- Brazil's leader calls Gaza conflict 'a massacre'
- Dominican officials destroy 2,000 seized guns
- France offers asylum to Christians of north Iraq
- Malta oil worker kidnapped in Libya released
- Bolivian president seeks votes in the bedroom
- Iraq police find 17 bodies, some bound, in Baghdad
- Syrian army casualties surge, raising death toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
- Poland, Britain call for more sanctions on Russia
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!