Today: Cloudy and cooler with periods of rain. Diminishing rain chances this afternoon. High in the low to mid 60s but falling into the upper 40s lower 50s by late afternoon. Very windy with a NW wind in the afternoon, 20-30 mph.
Tonight: Any remaining ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Suspect in Ga convenience store slaying in custody
- Schwan's given 32 citations involving Ga. plant
- Century-old lamp posts at UGA undergo restoration
- Fire claims life of man, 58, northwest of Atlanta
- Wind gusts of 40-45 mph possible in Georgia
- Vietnam veterans to be honored at Georgia Capitol
- Job fair to be held in DeKalb for people over 50
- Atlanta to host construction career expo
- Suspect in GA convenience store slaying in custody
- Teen seeks juvenile trial in Ga. baby killing
- Witnesses describe blast that brought down two New York apartment buildings
- Lt Gov: Storm-aid charge part of Christie's review
- Police ask dentists to help ID mummified body
- US stocks turn mixed after a weak start
- Bill Clinton campaigns for Chelsea's mother-in-law
- Colorado trooper seriously hurt in carjacking case
- Doctor: Child found in creek died of shot to chest
- Honor student who sued parents returns home
- Mayor: Welding at site of big San Francisco blaze
- Colorado carjacking suspect wanted in drug case
- Report: Jailed Mafia boss reveals killing detail
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup
- UN: Claim of captive Saudi princesses received
- Visiting British PM offers support to Israel
- Canada ends military operations in Afghanistan
- Airlines lower forecast for record 2014 profit
- Iran hard-liners protest at Austrian Embassy
- Cricket bat, toilet door in court
- Rights group: 5 seized at Crimea checkpoint freed
- Afghan group says it killed Swedish reporter
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!