Saturday: Increasing clouds and a little warmer with an afternoon high in the upper 50s to even near 60 in spots. A southeast wind at 5-10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy with ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bus hits plane at Atlanta airport; no one hurt
- Savannah police get help against surge in violence
- Atlanta VA names new assistant director
- Jury convicts man in death of Statesboro preacher
- Gang members get prison time for violent crimes
- Ex-Ga. letter carrier gets prison in robbery plot
- 2 charged in infant starvation on suicide watch
- Ex-Savannah-Chatham police chief convicted
- Marietta man gets 20 yearsin Christmas shooting
- Suspicious package near CDC snarls traffic
- Flooding becomes new threat in snowy Buffalo
- Family of NYC man killed by police seek answers
- AP sources: Obama broadens mission in Afghanistan
- Boy who fell from cliff wakes from induced coma
- Pregnant woman, 3 others shot, killed; girl hurt
- Pregnant woman, 4 others shot, killed; girl hurt
- Teacher charged, on leave for dragging student
- Students protest school response to rape claims
- Verdict pending, Malaysia's Anwar visits US
- San Francisco window washer falls onto moving car
- Iraqi forces, Islamic State group battle in Ramadi
- Polish town opposes Pooh Bear for unclear gender
- Islamic State group's drive to capture key town in northern Syria blunted by Kurds
- China party paper backs charges against journalist
- US warns citizens to avoid resort of Acapulco
- US provides $68 million for Mexico justice reform
- UN committee urges Myanmar action on Rohingya
- Mexico's Colima volcano spouts ash, hot rock
- Puerto Rico legislators to debate oil tax increase
- 2 in Puerto Rico accused of posing as policemen
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!