HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Sentencing delayed for man awaiting punishment in FAMU case
- Jimmy Carter's church adjusts to demand for Sunday lessons
- Defendant awaiting punishment in FAMU case to be sentenced
- Coastal Ga. residents urged to watch Tropical Storm Erika
- Watershed management to launch 'No Wipes in Pipes' campaign
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Latest Georgia news, sports, business and entertainment
- Nearly 200 patients qualify for medical marijuana registry
- 3rd-grader who shot child at school got gun in home kitchen
- Man who dressed as Ninja to rob store is convicted
- Obama visits New Orleans, says city 'moving forward'
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case
- 2 rescued from The Venetian hotel-casino's canal
- Health officials: Utah man in his 70s dies from plague
- Black Lives Matter boos Washington mayor's anti-crime plans
- Study can't confirm results of many psychology experiments
- Teacher priest seeks OK to wear religious habit in classroom
- Girls named Destiny questioned in cliffside vandalism case
- Events mark Emmett Till slaying 60 years later
- Board punts decision on embattled Albuquerque schools chief
- Air guitarists duke it out at Finland world championships
- Police can't keep migrants from crossing into Hungary
- UN experts call for fairness in Guatemala genocide trial
- Storm destroys homes, leaves 6 missing
- Jewish settlers take over homes in Arab part of Jerusalem
- Libya dialogue restarts without Tripoli representatives
- UN to investigate militia role in breaking Mali peace accord
- Egypt replaces EgyptAir chairman after heavy losses
- Turkey probes restoration of tower likened to 'SpongeBob'
- Polish official 'convinced' that mystery Nazi train exists
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!