Tonight: Remaining cloudy this eventing with sprinkles and light rain showers slowly coming to an end. Overnight, expect decreasing clouds as lows drop to around 52. East winds at 5-10mph, becoming light.
Easter Sunday: Sunny, and BEAUTIFUL from sunrise service to ... More...
HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
A legislative bill passed two sessions ago is catching up with students who have lottery scholarships and many find their funding severely cut.
A 2011 statute limits HOPE Scholarship funding to the minimum hours required for a degree program. The change affected students who were already in college as well as those entering higher education.
This quarter is when the limits are becoming apparent to students. Nearly 3,000 students are expected to run out of scholarship funding over the next two years, before the end of their fourth year in school.
State Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville says the cap penalizes high-achieving students.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.HOPE Scholarship Funding Running Out for Some in Tenn.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. GOP Senate hopefuls try to separate themselves
- Repairs to broken water main to take more time
- Sewage plant sparks smell concerns at garden
- Police probe drowning death in Lake Lanier
- Police probe Saturday slaying of Kennesaw man
- Police recover stolen House clerk's car in Atlanta
- Crews plan repairs for water main break in Atlanta
- Registration deadline to vote in primary near
- Zoo Atlanta has warthog births for spring
- Search launched for dean of UGA Graduate School
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Tenn. ammunition plant explosion ruled accidental
- Woman says beau stole her dog, TV on 1st date
- California man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Creeping landslide devouring part of Wyoming town
- 4 dead, 2 hospitalized after car hits taxi near Houston
- Texas search group, FAA, at odds over drone use
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Golden eagle found dead in Wyoming ties for second-oldest
- NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
- Attacks kill 16 across Iraq
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- Colombia hopes to share Garcia Marquez remains
- Bombs targeting soldiers, shoppers kill 11 in Iraq
- Ministry: 2 killed in apparent Bahrain car bombing
- Confirmed death toll climbs to 33; about 270 missing
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa; three still missing
- Man arrested over murder of ex-IRA leader
- Al-Qaida chief blesses attacks on Egypt security
- Iran general urges Tehran to make new UN pick
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!