Jenkins Receives Janet Rahamut Award
Dr. Skip Jenkins, associate professor of historical theology at Lee University, has been selected as the winner of the 2013 Janet Rahamut Award.
The Janet Rahamut Award is given in recognition to the faculty member that exhibits the most heart for students evidenced by frequent interaction and positive involvement with them outside of the classroom.
The award is named in memory of Dr. Janet Rahamut, a veteran English professor whose tragic death in 2000 shocked the campus and left a tremendous void in the collective heart of the Lee family. The award was created to honor Rahamut’s dedication to her students, in and out of the classroom.
Jenkins joined the Lee University School of Religion in the fall of 2004. He teaches courses such as Introduction to Theology, Doctrine of the Holy Spirit, and Freshman Gateway Seminar. He also teaches graduate seminars on prayer, the Trinity, and early Christian doctrine. In addition, Jenkins currently serves as the director of Lee’s Graduate Studies in Biblical and Theological Studies.
Since being at Lee, Jenkins has co-established an open discussion forum on campus called “Conversations on Apologetics,” and founded, with his wife, a student-oriented mentoring house whose stated purpose is spiritual, academic, and social accountability.
Jenkins received the Excellence in Advising Award in 2012.
The recipient of the Janet Rahamut Award is chosen by a student committee chaired by the Student Leadership Council chairperson and sponsored by the Vice President for Student Development.
“I cherish this award most of all because it was granted to me by a committee of students,” said Jenkins.
Jenkins obtained his PhD in Systematic Theology at Marquette University, two master’s degrees at Duke University Divinity School, one in general theological studies (MTS), the other with an emphasis in historical theology (ThM), and his BA in Bible and Theology at Lee University.
Jenkins is a member of the South Cleveland Church of God, where he teaches discipleship classes. He is also an active member of The Society for Pentecostal Studies.
Jenkins is married to Larisa Ard, and they have four children: Merritt, Eleanor, Eli and Ava.
Jenkins Receives Janet Rahamut Award
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Dead man found naked in Georgia river identified
- Teenager charged with hitting, killing 2-year-old nephew
- 17-year-old drowns after saving friend in Georgia lake
- 2 injured when Amtrak train hits car in North Carolina
- Ga. hospital agrees to $20 million false billing settlement
- Director of state agency that investigates judges steps down
- Trial begins for woman accused in convenience store slaying
- High school teacher killed in wreck with prom-going teens
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) -- About 80,000 people attended the annual Taste of Marietta festival in northern Atlanta.
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Choppers ferry injured to Gorkha
- Drones and dogs deployed in battle to save the guacamole
- Bad weather hampers search for missing boaters in Alabama
- Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police response
- Senate takes up bill on congressional approval of Iran deal
- Supreme Court to hear historic same-sex marriage arguments
- Obama, Abe putting joint face on trade amid opposition in US
- Dispute outside church leaves 2 fatally shot, 4 injured
- Corinthian Colleges students to meet for help after shutdown
- Popular zoo elephants likely to get harder to see in future
- Germany's population seen shrinking by a tenth by 2060
- Saudi Arabia arrests man over suspected IS killing of police
- 1 person killed in train collision in South Africa
- Bosnian Serbs push for more autonomy after attack
- Official says Saudi soldier killed by Yemen rebels on border
- UN says a local staffer has been abducted in eastern Iraq
- Ukraine says rebels using rocket launchers
- Palestinian who clashed with Israeli troops dies of wounds
- Australia can't do more for death row prisoners in Indonesia
- Colombia's health ministry seeks to halt coca spraying
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!