Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s away from the city)
Sunday: Mostly sunny and even warmer. ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- State schools chief says he's applied for Rome job
- In Ga. Senate race, Ted Cruz stumps for Perdue
- Athens-Clarke County police name interim chief
- Officer shoots teen outside stadium during game
- Democratic Rep. Barrow works for GOP votes in Ga.
- Ga. polls open statewide for Saturday voting
- Ban on plastic bags proposed for Tybee Island
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- More than 335,000 have voted early in Georgia
- 1930s alums leave $1M gift to NY high school
- 3 states issue stronger Ebola quarantine
- Across US, Dems enlist Latinas for top of ballot
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop school shooter
- Woman quarantined in NJ shows no signs of Ebola
- Obama: Science, not fear, key to Ebola response
- Dallas nurse receives thanks, hug from Obama
- Timeline for New York doctor who has Ebola
- Ebola-stricken doc described as driven do-gooder
- School gunman was homecoming prince, students say
- Mussolini air raid shelter opens to tourists
- Suicide attack kills 8 Shiite militiamen in Iraq
- Extremists shell northern Syrian town
- Ukraine pauses before decisive vote
- Number of Islamic extremists growing in Germany
- Iran hangs woman for killing alleged rapist
- Expert: 8,000 more Rohingya flee Myanmar
- 15 jailed for life in Argentina 'dirty war' trial
- Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai
- Brazil presidential rivals face off in debate
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!