Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- Audra McDonald performs at 4th symphony gala
- Candidates qualifying for top Ga. primary races
- Candidate fields set for GA May primary elections
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- NJ's Christie raises money with Georgia Gov. Deal
- Morris Brown gets court's OK to sell some property
- SC expects no delay between study and harbor work
- After remains found, ID of person still a mystery
- Army won't disclose punishment of soldier
- Sheriff: Snowmobiler dies in avalanche in Utah
- Child sex abuse suspect dies at Boston hospital
- Head of white supremacist gang admits guilt
- Obama, Germany's Merkel discuss Ukraine
- LA police officer killed in crash identified
- Border Patrol releases use-of-force guidelines
- Fla. family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Miss. lawmakers feel pressure over religion bill
- Police: 2 teens dead in Phoenix murder-suicide
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Letter bombs found at N Ireland post offices
- Russia, Ukraine feud over sniper carnage
- Russians demonstration in support of Crimea move
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly
- Hillary Clinton urges equality for women and girls
- Small group of protesters urge other nations to stop Crimea vote
- Statue of Egypt pharoanic princess found in Luxor
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!