Wednesday: Early morning fog, then partly sunny , hot and humid. A chance for afternoon and evening t-showers. An afternoon high in ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Home Depot probes possible credit card data breach
- Murder charge sought in Statesboro death
- Woman sentenced in silicone injection case
- Woman in Paulding Co. trail attack leaves hospital
- Home Depot investigates breach
- Study: Georgia disaster preparation weak for kids
- Crews search Lake Lanier for missing woman
- Storms spark lightning fires in Winder, Macon
- Georgia Tech police probe robberies of students
- Alabama man shot to death; Georgia man wounded
- Lawyer says family of girl with Uzi is devastated
- Penn State student gains rep as squirrel whisperer
- Jurors in former Va. governor's corruption case to resume deliberations Wednesday
- Sotomayor to receive Hepburn Medal from Bryn Mawr
- Princeton worker put on leave over medical pot
- Preschools latest to take on green movement
- Recorded arrest of St. Paul man under review
- 30 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- 911 calls show efforts to save firearms instructor
- Court: US can withhold Guantanamo detainee images
- Ukrainian troops routed as Russia talks tough
- Calais mayor might close port to stop migrants
- Macedonian premier, opposition leader, go to court
- Mexico plans $9.2B airport project for capital
- Ukraine military routed as Russia talks tough
- Spanish judge orders release of ill boy's parents
- Video purports to show beheading of US journalist
- Another American in Liberia contracts Ebola: Group
- UN: 4 peacekeepers killed in northern Mali, 6 hurt
- Nicaragua calls off search for 4 missing miners
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!