Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DeKalb County CEO found guilty of perjury, extortion charge
- Source: Fire at South Carolina black church wasn't arson
- Thieves make off with semi loaded with liquor and wine
- Macon leaders consider future of Confederate statue
- Man gunned down inside Atlanta nightclub
- Another black church in South Carolina burns; cause unknown
- Ga. troopers ramping up enforcement during holiday weekend
- Man gets life for killing ex-girlfriend who dated his wife
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Tennessee store owner replaces 'No Gays Allowed' sign
- Mom accused of contaminating son's IV gets 6 years in prison
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies, restore ties
- Crews inspecting Ohio bridge after morning tanker fire
- Chicago mayor to detail $200 million in school district cuts
- Reports: School bus driver fired after student dragging
- By PATRICK SEMANSKY
- Vintage seaplane stranded near Gulf beach during movie shoot
- Tree falls on woman walking to car after storms, killing her
- The Latest: US, Cuba to open embassies to restore ties
- American dean fired from Russian university after TV show
- 9 Azerbaijani citizens sentenced for joining Islamic State
- UK police investigating missing family of 12 feared in Syria
- US Speaker in Poland for talks on trade, security
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash
- Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune
- Israel arrests dozens of Hamas operatives in West Bank
- Media rights group sues German spy agency
- Mural of rainbow flag sparks rare Palestinian debate on gays
- World mayors, others pitch in toward global climate accord
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!