Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga man gets life in slaying linked to embezzlement
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Atlanta police chief named to association board
- Ga. man sentenced to 17 1/2 years on child porn charges
- Henry County family of 8 undergoing rabies treatments
- 1 arrested, others sought after gunfire at Ga. Army base
- Judge: No juror misconduct in Ga. peanut trial convictions
- Judge delays sentencing for Ala woman in daughter's slaying
- Guns, training gun found where police say sheriff shot woman
- Dredging of Savannah harbor won't start until December
- Quake hits N. California; no reports of problems
- US economy likely shrank in 1st quarter
- Arraignment for woman accused of killing fiance on Hudson
- Timeline of the career of ex-US House Speaker Dennis Hastert
- Suge Knight returns to court to try to dismiss murder case
- Protesters occupying church for 11 years pray for reprieve
- Latest on flooding: Body pulled from Houston Ship Channel
- At least 20 years in prison awaits Silk Road founder
- Manhunt underway in Kansas after officer shot in head
- USS Arizona Memorial dock repairs expected to take a week
- US says China has artillery vehicles on artificial island
- 12 Russians injured in lightning strike at ruins on Crete
- China executes teacher who molested or raped 26 students
- UN nuke agency to issue report showing Iran probe stalled
- Britain's Cameron in Poland in search for support on reform
- China destroys more than 660 tons of smuggled ivory
- Muhammadu Buhari takes over a nation in crisis
- Thailand says agrees to US flights to search for boat people
HYDERABAD, India (AP) -- Dizzying temperatures have killed hundreds more Indians, driving the death toll from a weeks-long heat wave to at least 1,826.
- Ex-Guatemala vice president's properties raided amid scandal
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!