Today: Windy and cold. Some flurries and snow showers ending. An afternoon high in the mid/upper 40s. A north wind creating a Wind Chill in the 30s. Wind North 15-30 mph.
Tonight: Clearing and much colder with freezing ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Freeze watch across north and central Georgia
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race vote on promise of future
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Report says 60,000 veterans get triple benefits
- It's time to fall back an hour, get extra shut-eye
- 2 children, woman hit by car in Halloween crash
- AP-AM Prep-Scores and Skeds
- Nurse free to move about as restrictions eased
- 'We just had a hunch': US marshals nab Eric Frein
- Lake Michigan waves slam Chicago lakeshore
- NYC worker suspended for using 'robotic voice'
- Girl barred over Ebola fears returns to school
- 88-year-old Missouri man charged with killing wife
- Commander: 18 Islamist fighters killed in Libya
- New US general seeks China air safety dialogue
- China experimental moon orbiter returns
- Ecuador top court endorses re-election for Correa
- UN expresses 'deep outrage' at Islamic State group
- UN resolution urges Myanmar to drop identity plan
- Cyclists kidnapped, ransomed near Mexico City
- Suspected ETA member arrested in Germany
- Canada restricts visas amid Ebola scare
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!