Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday ... More...
Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Grady Health System gets $30 million grant
- School considers options for Bible verse monument
- Atlanta Symphony president and CEO steps down
- Ga. lawmakers to discuss medical education
- Ga. college smoking ban goes into effect Wednesday
- 2 sentenced in Atlanta teen sex trafficking case
- Saint Augustine's football player dies in GA crash
- Wal-Mart: Morgan, others weren't wearing seatbelts
- Hotel linen management company opening Ga. plant
- Serial armed robber sentenced to 32 years
- Falcon has cataract surgery, gets new lenses
- Charges dropped for man who sold rhino head
- Police: Body of Arkansas real estate agent found
- SC cop indicted in shooting shrouded in mystery
- Virginia police: Forensic evidence links 2 cases
- Bill allows families to seek gun restraining order
- Obama, Modi to put upbeat face on US-India ties
- Secret Service head faces questions on WH breach
- Quotations in the News
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Survivors of Lampedusa shipwreck to meet pope
- Officials: Wave of attacks kills 19 across Iraq
- South Sudan factions agree on federal government
- Germany vows better checks on refugee guards
- Putin visits Kazakhstan after remarks cause alarm
- Myanmar and Sri Lankan hard-liners ink agreement
- UK government plans curbs on nonviolent extremism
- 25th anniversary of East German exodus to the West
- Islamist-allied militias in Libya reject UN talks
- Car crash damages Poland's famous Solidarity wall
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!