Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
Sixth-graders at Eastbrook Middle School say they learned recently that Whitfield County has a problem with dogs.
The problems have solutions. Students feel they need to get the message out about shelter laws, spay and neuter programs, and how to care for pets’ health needs.
A team of sixth-grade students participated in a unit designed by their teachers as part of a local professional learning workshop. They designed the unit to integrate learning in all subjects while meeting the specific needs and interests of the students, as well as teaching the need to follow local ordinances regarding pets.
Students used reading, speaking and writing skills to debate and form educated opinions on the legal requirements of dog ownership and develop a pet care pamphlet that was distributed to the public.
Math skills helped students draft a blueprint for a scale model dog house. Students spoke with guests from the Whitfield Animal Control office and finished off the unit with a visit to the Wade Animal Adoption Center and the Animal Shelter. The final product of their work was to build a dog house from the scale models with materials generously donated by Ronnie Johns of Johns Lumber and Building Supply.
They presented the doghouse to fellow animal lovers at the Wade Adoption Center during a recent visit. The students hope the feelings of compassion, pride, and responsibility they developed will be shared by the community in which they live.
Pictured above from top left are: Leah Patterson, Valerie Cruz, Courtney Hall, Yaquelin Martinez, Ariel Mendez, Alexandra Chavez, Yuriko Duran, Maribel Fraire, Evelyn Fraire, and Maggie Pascual.Kids School Project Goes 'To the Dogs'
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- At Civil War's end, a steamboat disaster that history forgot
- Former president Carter reflects before milestone mission
- Police say Lil Wayne tour bus struck by bullets
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- 2 Savannah policemen among Reservists going to Middle East
- Savannah police investigating shooting, crash
- FAA inspector charged with dodging security; caught with gun
- Man shot in chest in Macon
- Funerals for 2 Georgia Southern students killed in crash
- Man found stabbed to death in Roswell
- Japan's prime minister kicks off US visit in Boston
- Quacking duck ringtone helps firefighter rescue ducklings
- Professor 'mortified' after sending porn link to students
- Photographer says Baltimore police beat him during protest
- Kerry to see Iranian FM as nuke talks hit end phase
- As nuclear powers meet, NYC rally demands end to weapons
- Police suspect 4 kids locked in basement overnight
- Pentagon: US military sending aid to quake-ravaged Nepal
- The Latest: Wake held for man who died after arrest
- Corinthian Colleges to shut down all 28 remaining campuses
- Official: Palestinian operatives helped free Syria hostages
- Palestinian official skeptical about next Israeli government
- Saudi Arabia: Military training aircraft crashes, killing 2
- France detains second suspect in thwarted attack probe
- Saudi-led airstrikes hit Yemen rebels in capital, south
- Putin accuses US of supporting separatists in Russia
- Nigeria recalls diplomats from South Africa over attacks
- Ceremonies mark liberation of 2 Nazi camps 70 years ago
- German, French rescue teams on way to Nepal
- Pope urges assistance for Nepal quake victims
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!