This will be followed by dry and much cooler weather through midweek. Daily highs near 80 and morning lows in the 50s. Fall officially ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Polk County sheriff's deputy fatally shoots man
- BET Hip-Hop Awards holds taping of show in Atlanta
- Juror dismissed in trial of suspended DeKalb CEO
- Authorities ID men believed to be on missing plane
- Court to hear appeal of federal death row inmate
- UGA closer to building indoor football field
- Death penalty sought in death of Griffin officer
- Ga.'s crowdfunding backers hope to raise interest
- Clayton County police say teen hurt in dog attack
- Ga. plans to honor MIA Vietnam War service members
- Security breach prompts more White House security
- US applauds Afghan power-sharing agreement
- NASA's Maven explorer arriving at Mars after year
- Day 9 begins in hunt for trooper slaying suspect
- Pope chooses a moderate for Chicago archbishop
- Police taking precautions in ambush suspect search
- Residents return to homes as ambush suspect hunted
- 5 killed in Pennsylvania car crash, including kids
- Secret Service boosts security outside White House
- GM recalls 221,558 sedans for fire risk
- Spanish judge indicts 9 persons for cyber fraud
- Pope denounces perversion of religion for violence
- UN: 70,000 Syrians escape fighting to Turkey
- Pope flags Christian-Muslim ties in Albania
- Afghan presidential candidates to sign power deal
- Last king of Nepal suffers heart attack
- China says 88 fugitives returned from abroad
- 5 inmates flee prison in Haiti; 2 recaptured
- Designers go for the flow at Milan Fashion Week
- S. Sudan mediators condemns renewed fighting
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!