Tonight: Scattered evening t-showers, then a better chance of showers and storms late tonight. Lows near 70.
Thursday: ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fund set up for injured firefighters
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Tropical depression approaching Lesser Antilles
- DeKalb District Attorney to receive national honor
- With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off
- Ga. group to address jail gangs, contraband
- Ga. lottery turns 21, launches Kia promotion
- Close race in GOP runoff for Ga. schools post
- Wilson wins Dem primary for Ga. superintendent
- Report: No crime committed at immigrant cemetery
- Tennessee man accused of threatening to kill Obama
- Obama declares Washington wildfire emergency
- Criminal probe of Cuomo administration urged
- Senate panel backs McDonald for VA secretary
- Senate bill targets companies that move overseas
- Woman: Backyard near turnpike is not a rest stop
- US intel sorties up in Iraq, but no drone strikes
- Young MH17 victim has eerie premonition of crash
- Man charged in chase that ended in girl's death
- Iraq lawmakers postpone vote on new president
- Rebels confirm downing of two Ukrainian fighter jets
- Owner of Mexican shelter defends tough love
- UN rights chief warns of possible Gaza war crimes
- Report: Plane crashes in Taiwan, killing 51 people
- Somali lawmaker shot dead in drive-by shooting
- Abu Sayyaf militants free anti-poverty workers
- Americans aplenty as UK's Booker Prize goes global
- UN rights chief: Strong possibility of Gaza crimes
- School head arrested in India after girl, 6, raped
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!