Tonight: Mostly cloudy with an overnight low in the low/mid 30s.
Friday: ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Gwinnett County school board to vote on new attendance zones
- Audit: Fulton County IT department mismanaged contracts
- Alabama woman admits role in tax fraud
- Georgia jobless rate drops to 7.2 percent
- Georgia Aquarium has new executive VP and COO
- Country artist headlines Gov. Deal inaugural gala
- GDOT restricting lane closures during holidays
- Ga. teacher pleads guilty to child porn charges
- SC company buys downtown Atlanta shopping center
- Toll lane price in metro Atlanta hits record $10
- Things to know about Montana exchange student killing
- 'Stand your ground' defense fails in Montana murder trial
- Lab tests: pesticide killed Portland crows
- Prosecutor to mom: Bring daughter out of hiding
- Competency hearings set in Slender Man stabbing
- Inmates: State's lethal injection unconstitutional
- Hearing set for suspect in Jewish site shootings
- Reformers target traffic courts in Ferguson
- Court documents: Suspect destroyed kidnap evidence
- Year after W.Va. river spill, execs face charges
- Shareholders back DP World's London delisting
- Pope praises the diplomacy of US-Cuba accord
- Crisis talks resume for Dutch coalition partners
- Yemen's parliament approves new Cabinet
- Dutch lawmaker to be prosecuted for hate speech
- UN seeks $8.4 billion to help Syria refugees
- Iraq PM drops lawsuits against journalists
- 11th Sierra Leonean doctor dies from Ebola
- Chine arrests policeman blamed for wrongful conviction
- Palestinians set deadline for Israeli occupation
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!