Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with a high in the mid 70s.
Saturday Night: A fair sky with a low in the low 50s (40s ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police arrest ex-boyfriend of burned Ga. woman
- Police: metro Atlanta inmate escapes work detail
- More than 335,000 have voted early in Georgia
- Woman at Ga. homeless camp wounded in knife attack
- Police: Mom, infant rescued from Savannah river
- Hacker gets prison for cyberattack stealing $9.4M
- Emory confirms Ebola no longer detected in nurse
- Emory: Tests no longer detect Ebola virus in nurse
- Ala court voids same-sex child visitation order
- Va. man wanted in fatal shooting caught in Georgia
- School gunman was homecoming prince, students say
- School gunman was Homecoming prince, students say
- Marine death is 1st in campaign against IS
- NY, New Jersey issue stronger Ebola quarantine
- Woman quarantined in New Jersey develops fever
- Feds: Nothing new on Tsarnaev, 3 slayings
- Navajo officials mull election amid confusion
- Official identifies gunman in high school attack
- 7 hurt when car smashes into California restaurant
- 3 California sheriffs' deputies shot, 1 dies
- Expert: 8,000 more Rohingya flee Myanmar
- 15 jailed for life in Argentina 'dirty war' trial
- Egypt declares emergency in northern Sinai
- Brazil presidential rivals face off in debate
- Malaysian officer back to face New Zealand charges
- Dominican agents detain woman with $70K in stomach
- 4 dead during attempted Dominican prison break
- Public donations pay for Argentine national park
- Mozambique's ruling party wins presidential race
- Nurse: Toddler who brought Ebola to Mali dies
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!