New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- East Point police investigate shooting of security guard
- Man found in Chattahoochee may have fallen from boat
- Police investigate suspicious death of security guard
- Mayor: Plan for bullet train likely stopped in its tracks
- Crews pull boater's body from Chattahoochee River
- DeKalb fire officials color coding hydrants
- Ohio bill would allow patients to get STD meds for partners
- Fewer students study botany, more plant collections closing
- Questions raised over slaying by retired guard in NYC subway
- Virginia student seeks dismissal of charges in bloody arrest
- Cops: Man fires BB gun at 11-year-old, said boy shot his son
- Nevada case is latest to test 'stand your ground' laws
- The Latest on weather: 12 people missing in Texas floods
- 58 protesters arraigned after Cleveland officer's acquittal
- In Rhode Island, residents gush about paid family leave
- Study: Europeans to suffer more ragweed with global warming
- Independent candidate rides hated of politics in Mexico
- Elections in Suriname to decide gov't for next 5 years
- German protests Russia's decision to turn away Merkel ally
- Egypt official says Sinai extremists kill soldier in clashes
- Bangladesh bans Islamist group accused of killing bloggers
- United Arab Emirates launches national space agency strategy
- Brazil prison riot leaves at least 7 dead
- Tornado kills 10 in Mexican border city of Ciudad Acuna
- Russia launches massive air force exercise with 250 aircraft
- Opposition leader says Burundi not ready for polls
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!