Today: Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Showers at times. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Tonight: Still some passing showers during the evening. Windy and much ... More...
New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
A new guidebook aims to help local governments and community groups develop programs to protect wetlands.
"Local Wetland Programs: A Guide for Georgia Communities" contains information on wetlands and existing laws, programs and policies. It's published by the University of Georgia River Basin Center.
The guide also includes 25 regulatory and non-regulatory programs communities can use, funding and technical resources, and strategies to avoid legal challenges.
There are a wide variety of programs covered in the guidebook, including education and awareness initiatives, inventories, acquisition, restoration projects, tax and other incentives, permit programs, buffers, zoning standards, development practices, and special programs for climate change adaptation and management.
The guidebook was developed in collaboration with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division, with funding from a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Wetland Program Development Grant.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.New Georgia Guidebook Hopes to Protect Wetlands
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- Parachutist rescued from Missouri television tower
- Bear in fatal NJ attack was acting 'predatory'
- Child rape suspect returning to Massachusetts
- Menino to lie in state at historic Faneuil Hall
- 3 die when train strikes SUV in southern Illinois
- Before midterms, Obama to plug policies for women
- Los Angeles airport shooting lessons linger
- APNewsBreak: Medicare bought meds for dead people
- UVa abduction suspect in court on separate case
- Captured: manhunt ends for trooper ambush suspect
- Peshmerga fighters leave Kobani to return later
- Pirate Bay founder jailed for hacking Danish data
- UN: Growing number of foreigners in terror groups
- Liberia opens 1 of largest Ebola treatment centers
- Germany's main Jewish leader steps down
- NATO says service member has died in Afghanistan
- WHO issues new guidance on Ebola protective gear
- Protesters gather again in Burkina Faso
- Official: Man slashes 3 schoolchildren in China
- Heavy security as Israel reopens Jerusalem site
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!