Today: Partly to mostly sunny with an afternoon high in the low 70s. Light North wind.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and ... More...
PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- In Ga. Senate race, Nunn stumps across north Ga.
- Marietta firm proposes purchase of newspapers
- Plea deal in FAMU case is off the table
- Perdue urging conservatives in final bus tour
- Burned dogs showing up at Georgia animal hospital
- Homeowner kills man during shootout near Atlanta
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7.3 percent
- Metro Athens has lowest jobless metro jobless rate
- Missouri police preparing for grand jury decision
- Obama offers federal help to NY with Ebola case
- NY doctor back from Guinea has Ebola
- Police: Hatchet-wielding suspect shot by officers
- Judge dismisses cases in IRS political controversy
- Tornado rips roofs in Washington state
- Police: Officers in Arizona shoot man with machete
- Nebraska students charged in alcohol death
- NCAA asks court to end Penn State legal battle
- ACLU: Kansas court hearing on gay marriage is off
- Gestapo impostor tricked Nazi sympathizers in WWII
- Insurgents kill 5 in attack in Afghanistan: police
- Poland's Tusk denies claim on partition offer
- 1st Ebola case in W. African nation of Mali
- Jailed Bangladesh ex-Islamist leader dies
- Protesters in HK to vote on staying in streets
- Malaysian man crawls for 3 days after car smash
- China launches experimental moon orbiter
- Student's mysterious death sparks Mexico protests
- Mexican governor steps aside over disappearances
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!