Sunday Night: Isolated showers with temperatures holding steady in the lower to mid 50s. Winds from the southeast ... More...
PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 12-year-old boy fatally shot in Savannah
- Forecasters warn of heavy rain, damaging wind in Georgia
- State details project list of affordable housing
- Atlanta's Fernbank Museum set to expand
- EPA proposes plan to clean contaminated Ga. marshland
- GA lawmaker wants schools to go digital by 2020
- Mourners gather to remember ex-Gov. Sanders
- Body of missing Georgia man found in NC
- Accounting oversight triggers Ga. hospital layoffs
- Georgia State to create media production center
- Evacuation plans readied as Buffalo flooding looms
- Governor says evacuation, shelter plans being made in case of flooding
- Thruway fully open after western NY snow cleared
- Hunter dies after accidentally shooting himself
- Mother who shot children dies from her injuries
- Vatican prosecutor didn't report abusive priest
- Man ID'd who lit house on fire, ambushed officers
- Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift set for 2014 AMAs
- Relatives question honor for civil rights workers
- Obama expresses sadness at death of Marion Barry
- Evacuations in Cape Verde after volcano erupts
- Muslim clerics meet in Iran to counter extremists
- Iran releases British-Iranian woman on bail
- Tunisians hold landmark presidential election
- Nigeria: Dozens dead in suspected extremist attack
- Egypt willing to send troops to future Palestine
- Kenya's deputy president condemns extremist attack
- Syrian rebels attack besieged Shiite villages
- Iran: Nuclear talks may focus on an extension
- All Malaysia flight wreckage recovered in Ukraine
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!