Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Woman shot, killed by police south of Atlanta
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Va. Gov. McAuliffe to tour tornado damage
- Deadly fungus spreads in Everglades, killing trees
- Little sunlight as Obama raises super PAC dollars
- Central American leaders convening at White House
- Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- APNewsBreak: Gun law based on flawed estimate
- Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor
- Ohio State band marches on after director's firing
- Exoneration hearing set for convicted rapist
- Russia raises key rate amid Ukraine concerns
- Norway: group from Syria en route to commit terror
- Jordan shoots down 'aerial target' near Syria
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants; 5 dead
- German airlines cancel more Tel Aviv flights
- Australia readies 90 police for Ukraine crash site
- Surgeons in India remove 232 teeth from teen
- Ukraine reports overnight rebel attacks on border
- Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!