PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 82nd Airborne holds change of responsibility ceremony
- Police say teenager hit, killed 2-year-old Georgia boy
- High school teacher killed in wreck with prom-going teens
- Lawyer in Atlanta cheating case previews new support group
- Family says Georgia man missing after Nepal earthquake
- Singer Jamie Barton wins the 'Heisman Trophy' of music
- At Civil War's end, a steamboat disaster that history forgot
- Former president Carter reflects before milestone mission
- Police say Lil Wayne tour bus struck by bullets
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- Supporters of Senate Iran bill swatting away amendments
- Deadly Nevada prison brawl stokes mystery about guards, guns
- Long odds for insanity defense in theater shooting trial
- Japan's prime minister kicks off US visit in Boston
- Deaths rise, aid flown in after Nepal quake: Things to Know
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Gorkha toll could change picture
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Entire army involved in rescue
- Hawaii telescope website taken down in apparent cyberattack
- The Latest: Air of uneasy calm, uncertainty over Kathmandu
- The Latest: Facebook activates Safety Check for Nepal
- Malaysia: ASEAN to avoid confronting China in S. China Sea
- Syrian insurgents capture military base in northwest
- Rescuers struggle to reach remote Nepal areas, as toll rises
- Deutsche Bank to drop locations, streamline operations
- Bomb kills 5 in southern Afghanistan, clashes in north
- Sri Lanka's Parliament debates presidential powers
- Soldiers clear ash from around Chile's Calbuco volcano
- Thailand seizes 3 tons of elephant tusks smuggled from Kenya
- By BINAJ GURUBACHARYA and KATY DAIGLE
- Australia says Indonesia gave 72 hours notice of executions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!