PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man gunned down inside Atlanta nightclub
- Another black church in South Carolina burns; cause unknown
- Ga. troopers ramping up enforcement during holiday weekend
- Man gets life for killing ex-girlfriend who dated his wife
- In Supreme Court loss, death penalty foes see an opening
- Smyrna police to begin wearing body cameras
- Largest Southern Co. subsidiary enters rooftop solar market
- Georgia gas, hotel taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- Finalist named for Georgia Regents University presidency
- Georgia gas taxes to increase starting Wednesday
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Abbas removes long-time critic from No. 2 position in PLO
- Obama aims to change conversation around health care law
- US, Cuba reach agreement to open embassies
- Indiana's religious freedom bill among host of new laws
- Episcopalians to vote on allowing gay marriage in churches
- Hawaii lawmaker assaulted at homeless camp
- Fire crews make gains against damaging Washington wildfire
- State Department to release Clinton emails on Tuesday night
- Chicago schools make pension payment; 1,400 jobs 'impacted'
- Spain seizes 3.5 tons of cocaine, 69 arrested across Europe
- Kurdish fighters regain control of Syrian town hit by IS
- Repatriation of British terror victims gets underway
- China says concerned over Turkish religious complaints
- Iranian media: IAEA chief in Tehran on Thursday
- Sectarian shooting wounds 7 people south of Lebanese capital
- Hungary, Serbia meet to debate Hungarian border fence plan
- The Latest: S&P warns of Grexit risks to eurozone economy
- German train drivers union to end labor dispute
- Toyota's top female executive arrested in Japan resigns
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!