PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga mom charged with letting son hit student on school bus
- 15 go to hospital after church bus crash in north Ga
- Georgia Hooters waitress donates kidney to longtime regular
- New lab can create hurricane conditions on demand
- Ga man gets life in slaying linked to embezzlement
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Atlanta police chief named to association board
- Ga. man sentenced to 17 1/2 years on child porn charges
- Henry County family of 8 undergoing rabies treatments
- 1 arrested, others sought after gunfire at Ga. Army base
- Latest on Dennis Hastert: School district says no misconduct
- Latest on Dennis Hastert: Judge to set initial court date
- Woman accused of killing fiance on Hudson pleads not guilty
- Protesters occupying church for 11 years get court relief
- Cuba removed from US terror list
- Magnitude-6.7 quake strikes remote area off Alaska coast
- Detroit man pleads guilty in French street artist slaying
- College basketball player drowns in Indiana reservoir
- Father, stepmother charged in death of malnourished girl
- EPA proposes lowering amount of ethanol in gas
- Tunisia PM: Destroying migrant boats won't stop Europe flow
- Top Canadian minister to announces he's leaving politics
- THE LATEST: Voting begins to choose next FIFA president
- Croatia passes law compensating rape victims from 1990s war
- Former Tajik commander claims to have joined IS group
- Burundi opposition leader declares election boycott
- Belfast parties to meet in bid to save power-sharing
- EU-skeptic Finnish party joins Cabinet for 1st time
- THE LATEST: Sierra Leone thanks FIFA for support amid Ebola
- THE LATEST: Netanyahu urges FIFA not to suspend Israelis
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!