PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Jury convicts mom of capital murder in daughter's 1997 death
- Rain, freezing rain and sleet expected in north Georgia
- Georgia's unemployment rate drops to 6.4 percent
- Atlanta Hawks unveiling Dominique Wilkins statue
- Lawmakers expected to talk transportation, schools, religion
- Ga. entrepreneur sentenced for hiding income overseas
- Ga. man sentenced in embezzlement from Grady Hospital
- Police: Detective fatally shot in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- GA man sentenced in DUI crash that killed wife after wedding
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Officer loses control of cruiser, crashes into vet clinic
- Utah LGBT anti-discrimination bill passes 1st test
- Jodi Arias won't be sentenced to death after jury deadlocks
- Judge asked to give boy, then 11, new trial in 2009 slaying
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why is Ringling removing elephants from the circus?
- Couple offers $92M to Northwestern University medical school
- Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia, crashes through fence
- Michael Brown's parents announce civil lawsuit in death
- Remains of Korean War POW returned to Colorado
- Boko Haram killing men, tribes linked to Chad, witnesses say
- UN: Almost half a million people in Darfur displaced in 2014
- Missing persons committee apologizes for remains mix-up
- Burkina Faso allows family to exhume grave of Thomas Sankara
- Ambassador has surgery after knife attack
- South Africa to investigate spy allegations
- NATO, Russia exchange barbs reminiscent of Cold War days
- Mexico court orders trial for alleged Knights Templar leader
- Israel eases restrictions on Gaza vegetable exports
- EU extends asset freeze on ex-Ukraine leader for a year
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!