PEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
Chattanooga, TN - Public Education Foundation was recently awarded an $185,759 grant from AmeriCorps, through Volunteer Tennessee, to support training and stipends for participants in Hamilton County and Knox County teacher residency programs.
Awarded for the third consecutive year, this grant will support residents participating in the TEACH/Here and Project Inspire teacher residency programs.
Residents are recent college graduates or mid-career professionals who specialized in math- or science-related fields and have become interested in teaching.
Similar to a medical residency program that provides "on-the-job training" for doctors, residents will work in a mentoring relationship with a master teacher for one year, where they will work side-by-side with the master teacher in the classroom four days per week. On the fifth day, residents will take classes to earn both a master's degree and a teaching certificate by the end of the year.
"Graduates of our residency programs will provide outstanding math and science instruction to students in Hamilton County schools, especially in disadvantaged communities," says PEF Residency Project Leader Cheri Dedmon. "Their commitment fits well with the national service mission of AmeriCorps, and it is a huge benefit to us that AmeriCorps has agreed to help with funding."
Residents will log at least 1,700 volunteer hours in schools assisting their mentor teachers, and will complete a service learning project by the end of their training. Residents are not salaried, but receive a small living stipend as part of their service. In exchange, residents agree to work for at least four more years to repay the cost of their training and education.
Entering the third year of operation, a total of 28 graduates of the residency programs are currently teaching in 17 schools across the two districts, with the newest cohort of residents partnering alongside 14 highly successful and experienced mentor teachers in 7 schools in both districts.
For more information on teacher residency, visit pefchattanooga.orgPEF Gets Grant for Teacher Residency Program
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- SC company buys downtown Atlanta shopping center
- Toll lane price in metro Atlanta hits record $10
- Ex-salon owner sentenced after children molested
- Dominion to buy Carolina Gas Transmission for nearly $493M
- Inmate dies at Cherokee County detention center
- Business owners encouraged to renew licenses
- UGA to hold fall commencement ceremonies
- Georgia-based company issues cheese recall
- SC company looks to buy Atlanta shopping center
- FedEx truck crashes in Georgia, spills packages
- Gov. Nixon ends state of emergency for Ferguson protests
- Obama commutes sentences for 8 drug inmates under new policy
- Ex-prosecutor gets 16 years in child porn case
- Third suspect arrested in Portland school shooting
- Washington governor proposes cap on carbon pollution
- Ohio man acquitted after unusual insanity defense dies
- New York woman sues police for not arresting son
- AP NewsBreak: Lawsuit over immigrant license data
- Cops: Woman lied about Salvation Army kettle theft
- Obama offers support after Pakistan terror attack
- Pope played crucial role in US-Cuba rapprochement
- Cuba welcomes Castro's announcement of renewed US ties
- Belarus tightens control over online media
- Unicef needs more cash for Central African kids
- Kenya urged to respect human rights
- Israel suffers sharp rebuffs from Europe
- UN chief heading to West Africa to see response to Ebola
- Guatemala arrests US fugitive in illegal adoptions
- Canada hosted secret meetings between Cuba and US
- Dead in clash among Mexico vigilantes rises to 11
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!