Today: Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Showers develop this afternoon. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to low 60s. An increasing North wind at 10-20mph.
Tonight: Still some passing showers during the evening. ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia officials halt guardrail installation
- Lawsuits: Misconduct at fraternity led to rapes
- Ga. voters cast more than 709,900 early ballots
- 2 Atlanta firefighters recovering from burns, fall
- Deal, Carter, Nunn, Perdue make closing pitches
- Former Ga. ethics commission attorney sues agency
- DeKalb Co. crime stats questioned in federal audit
- Fatal Walker Co. fire linked to wood burning stove
- Allman dropped from Georgia lawsuit in train crash
- Perdue, Nunn talk trust, solutions in final ads
- 3 die when train strikes SUV in southern Illinois
- Before midterms, Obama to plug policies for women
- Los Angeles airport shooting lessons linger
- APNewsBreak: Medicare bought meds for dead people
- UVa abduction suspect in court on separate case
- Captured: manhunt ends for trooper ambush suspect
- Ebola victim's fiancTe struggles to rebuild life
- Ohio man detained in North Korea returning to work
- Life goes on for nurse in standoff over Ebola
- Judge to hold hearing in Kansas gay marriage suit
- Shelters fill up after deadly Sri Lanka mudslide
- Court upholds death verdicts in slashing attack
- Hong Kong activists mull Beijing visit during APEC
- Myanmar's president, army chief meet Suu Kyi
- Malaysia Airlines sued by 2 boys over Flight 370
- US and Australia drop sanctions against Fiji
- Nations in Americas join in battle against Ebola
- Cali cartel boss' daughter charged with extortion
- French town bans clown disguises after assaults
- Clothing with bodies matches missing Texans'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!