Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. Frost possible, especially in areas away from the city. An overnight low in the mid 30s (below freezing in spots away from the city and north)
Thursday: Mostly sunny and warmer through the afternoon with ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-Ga. sheriff's deputy convicted of battery
- Deal signs medical school scholarship regulation
- GA insurance commissioner releases enrollment data
- 2 charged in kidnapping of NC prosecutor's father
- Thousands using new Ga. online voter registration
- US transportation secretary visits Atlanta
- No injuries reported from building's falling glass
- FEMA chief to address US hurricane conference
- Up to 100 students hit by blast of pepper spray
- Moniz raised MOX alternatives with Russia
- Troopers issue report on fatal Fla. day care crash
- 3 school staffers on leave in Vegas cheating probe
- Experts say video doesn't show Earhart wreckage
- Indiana faces deadline on new education standards
- Did a German shepherd get called to jury duty?
- John Edwards returns to court practicing law
- Portland plans reservoir flush after teen cited
- Sacramento mayor to lead national mayoral group
- Holder urges use of overdose-reversal drug
- Cantor blasts Obama for immigration attack on GOP
- Lawyers in 9/11 at Gitmo case seek to question FBI
- uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
- Nigerian military: 100+ kidnapped students free
- Nigerian military: 121 kidnapped students free
- 6 confirmed dead, many more missing
- Mexico probes death of pregnant woman at clinic
- US: Russia facing diplomacy or new sanctions
- Inmates rock Peru prison with 'Superstar
- Mexico nabs No. 2 in Beltran Leyva gang
- Bosnians see families excavated from mass grave
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!