Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Southwest 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with a low around 50. Light wind.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with the high again in the low ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta officials to unveil regional heath guide
- Ga. gov candidates talk ethics during 2nd debate
- Georgia Gov. Deal forming Ebola response team
- Researchers seek to combat bat disease
- Boston man pleads guilty to LA, GA drug charges
- UGA postpones visit from Liberian journalist
- Ga. agency upgrading phone system to meet demand
- Doraville tops list of traffic fines per capita
- County performer Dustin Lynch hit by beer can
- 19-year-old NC A&T student killed at party
- Do remains belong to missing Virginia student?
- Obama keeps his schedule clear to focus on Ebola
- Lawyers due in court in marathon bombing case
- NY Gov. Cuomo raises profile -- but for what?
- Survey: Pay raises rarer despite strong US hiring
- Ana downgraded to tropical storm; Hawaii relaxes
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Hawaii residents relax as hurricane threat eases
- 3-year-old girl beaten to death in NYC, police say
- Robotic device helps paralyzed groom walk aisle
- Top Iraq Shiite cleric backs PM's fight against IS
- Attacks on Afghan checkpoints kill 4 troops
- Expelled Nazis paid millions in Social Security
- Federal police take control of 13 towns in Mexico
- China's ruling party opens meeting on rule of law
- Kerry seeks Asia's help in anti-Islamic State push
- Mudslides from rains kill 6 in southern Mexico
- Australia's Parliament House lifts face veil ban
- Australia to deploy 200 special forces in Iraq
- Sweden: 3 credible sightings in submarine search
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!