Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible late. An overnight low in the upper 30s. The rain could fall as a light wintry mix at higher elevations and north during the overnight hours. Rainfall amounts should be light.
Saturday: Some light rain ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former Atlanta officer sentenced to prison
- Georgia student dies after completing presentation
- Former Angels pick killed in argument over candy
- Dublin VA chief says waits still too long
- Flu season, early again, hitting hard in South and Midwest
- 3rd person dies after shooting at Macon nightclub
- Ex-Cub Scout leader sent to prison in child molestation case
- Dalton police officer faces child molestation charge
- Gwinnett County school board approves new attendance zones
- Ga. police offer holiday shipping safety tips
- AP WAS THERE: US breaks relations with Cuba
- Oklahoma official says state has execution drugs
- NY pain doctor gets prison in manslaughter case
- State Dept. warns US travelers to be extra careful
- Bob Simpson, co-developer of Saffir-Simpson scale, dies
- Obama calls on women only at news conference
- Lava could reach Hawaii shopping center in 8 days
- Lawyer: Child molester won't testify in 1979 case
- Attorneys for jailed ex-billionaire seek his release
- US nurse exposed to Ebola released from DC hospital
- China leader cautions against external forces
- Franciscan religious order in `grave' financial crisis
- North Korea denies connection with Sony hacking
- UN urging Taliban to reduce Afghan civilian casualties
- German Amazon strikes to last until Christmas Eve
- Brazil to study legalization of medical marijuana
- Israeli military says Gaza rocket hits Israel
- Little-known book by pope outlines views, hopes for Cuba
- Suspected bomb found under N. Ireland soldier's car
- 9 migrants drown off Morocco coast
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!