Tonight: Cloudy with showers & some thunderstorms late. An overnight low in the upper 50s to near 60. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Friday: Showers and some thunderstorms during the morning, then breezy and drier by midday and the afternoon. ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police: Man charged after killing break-in suspect
- Bond denied for woman charged in NC kidnapping
- 15 people charged in tax fraud ring
- Macon child care center ordered to close
- Deal signs bill restricting some abortion coverage
- Gov. Deal signs 'medical amnesty' bill
- Ga. governor approves referendum on dorm taxes
- Fire destroys home of former state lawmaker
- Parents of infant found dead held on drug charges
- Miss. girl, 2, found unharmed in south Georgia
- Ex-suspect in boy's disappearance stays in prison
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Rabbit heads left in 2 sisters' mailboxes
- Police say teens killed Amish family's pet donkey
- Study says statins may lead some patients to pig out
- Attorneys give arguments in Coast Guard killings
- Criminal probe into NYC heiress' life is over
- New Jersey forest fire burns half a square mile
- Kerry warns Russia of expensive new sanctions
- South Korea ferry disaster may cloud Obama visit
- Residents of conflictive Rio slum stage protest
- Mexico Senate: civilian courts for soldiers
- UN Yemen envoy says rebel group agrees to talks
- US threatens to pull aid to Haiti over late vote
- Explosion targets journalist's car in Cameroon
- Hagel says Russian military exercises up tensions
- UN chief: Syria war threatens Lebanon's stability
- Vatican: Pope's private calls don't reflect policy
- US awards $4M to help Haitians hurt by drought
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!