Thursday Night: Clearing and much colder with a low near 25.
Dry ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Legislative panel to discuss DeKalb cityhood
- Sheriff: Teen staged shooting for attention
- Park continues with Snow Mountain, Christmas event
- US adult smoking rate dips just under 18 percent
- Dispute between Ga youth coaches ends in stabbing
- Budget could force Coast Guard changes at Eufaula
- Crews repair damage after Atlanta protests
- GA roads, airport to see 1.3 million travelers
- Man sent to prison for killing woman, wounding man
- Savannah police task force makes dozens of arrests
- Liver transplant recipient marks 25th anniversary
- Ferguson grand jury papers full of inconsistencies
- No. 21 West Virginia beats VMI 103-72
- Autopsy suggests beheading victim fought back
- 4 people shot at Pennsylvania mall barbershop
- Homeless man beaten to death in San Francisco
- Police identify man found after Ferguson car fire
- Affidavit: Minn. man kept Syria travel plot secret
- Researchers discover 'pre-cancers' in blood
- Boy's family: Cleveland officers reacted quickly
- Portugal police make big hashish seizure off ship
- Venezuela says 13 dead in prison disturbance
- France: Police arrest 2 over jihadi propaganda
- Germany unveils dedicated Ebola medevac jet
- Red Cross seeks $1.68 billion for 2015
- Virgin, Stagecoach expand UK rail operation
- Amsterdam warns of dangerous drugs after 3 deaths
- Who's behind Christmas tree at Paris' Notre Dame?
- British national among 5 killed
- Britain reports big increase in immigration
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!