PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- FBI: Hunt continues for suspect in bomb threats against jets
- Ga. inmate who's come close to death 3 times to die Tuesday
- Husband and wife found dead in their home outside Rome
- Man shot to death in Clayton County
- Police ID driver in wrong-way crash that shut down I-85
- Bomb threat against 2 planes at Atlanta's main airport
- Fire crews battling blaze at Douglasville apartment
- South Georgia police search for missing Cobb County couple
- Atlanta mayor: Better transit reduces income inequality
- Police investigate crash that shut down I-85 for 4 hours
- Juror questioning to resume in Boston Marathon bombing trial
- Nor'easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
- Medical pot only OK for sick kids failed by other drugs: MDs
- What you need to know about the snow headed to the Northeast
- Airlines prepare to shut down in Northeast for snowstorm
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Federal judge stays Ala. gay marriage ruling
- 2 planes evacuated in Seattle, 3rd flight diverted to Dallas
- 2 planes evacuated on arrival at Seattle-Tacoma airport
- Boehner's State of Union survival tip: Stare at Obama's head
- European woman plunges to death in car from Abu Dhabi tower
- Greece's Syriza seeks coalition partners after poll win
- Obama presides over India's grand Republic Day parade
- Obama: Counterterrorism operations in Yemen not affected
- Japan logs record trade deficit in 2014 on weakening yen
- UK reviewing security after hoax call to Cameron
- Tunisia's Islamists will not back new coalition govt
- Iranian lawmakers honor Guard commander over IS victories
- Venezuela blocks meeting of former leaders, opposition chief
- Iran foreign minister summoned to explain stroll with Kerry
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!