Sunday Night: Cloudy and muggy with scattered showers and t-storms. A few storms could be severe during the night and through early Monday. Main threats are large hail and damaging straight-line winds. An overnight low in the low 70s.
Monday: A mix of sun and clouds ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Kingston's Senate loses means less clout for Ga.
- Unpaid GA court fines to be drawn from tax returns
- 2 injured in western Georgia small plane crash
- Teen identified in Chattahoochee River drowning
- Airport opens application site for screenings
- Savannah police searching for suspect in robbery
- Ga. police start enforcing 'slowpoke' driving law
- 1 killed in Rabun County plane crash
- Cobb judge Oks $397M in bonds for Braves stadium
- Ex-secretary for Douglas prosecutor indicted
- Police interviewing 2 in connection with Philadelphia carjacking
- Kevin Bacon brings his 'Six Degrees' to Comic-Con
- Police interview 2 in deadly Philly carjacking
- 1 dead after lightning strikes 14 in Southern California
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- California lightning hits 14; 2 critically injured
- Family of 5 shot dead in Maine, gun recovered
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- APNewsBreak: Tentative deal reached on VA reform
- Aid Group: 2nd American has Ebola in Liberia
- Girls killed, hurt in attack in Thailand's south
- Police in China remove church's cross
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans infected
- Venezuela says Aruba to free diplomat sought by US
- Israel acknowledges mortar shell hit UN school
- Islamic militants destroy historic mosque in Mosul
- Key World War I battle re-enacted in Poland
- EU, US seek Putin Achilles' heel on Ukraine
- Suspected al-Qaida attack kills 2 troops in Yemen
- Air Algerie jet's black boxes to be sent to France
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!