Tonight: With the exception of an isolated evening t-shower, expect a partly cloudy and muggy night with a low in ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Pill ring trial in Mississippi pushed to December
- US Secretary of Labor to visit Atlanta
- Fire department to train at Atlanta airport
- DJJ has deputy commissioner for secure facilities
- Group rallies in Ga. to protest Missouri shooting
- GA teen found with bullets at school faces charges
- 4 accused of throwing rocks from Ga. overpass
- Heat advisory issued in middle, east Georgia
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment
- Rapper Gucci Mane sentenced on federal gun charge
- Officer involved in Wal-Mart shooting back on job
- Quieter night in Ferguson, with fewer protesters
- Many police killings, but only Ferguson explodes
- Vegas offering all but marriage to LGBT tourists
- Hearing set in Amish girls' kidnapping in NY
- OSU freshman hospitalized after cardiac incident
- Guilty plea expected by friend of marathon suspect
- Palestinian banner unfurled on NYC bridge
- Israeli air strikes pound Gaza; 6 dead in Rafah
- Serena the singer? Tennis star does karaoke
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Interpol urges world response to Iraq extremists
- Group: Justice elusive year after Syria gas attack
- Indonesian police fire tear gas as poll protesters
- Police: Room disagreement preceded Bali killing
- Pakistan holds talks with opposition protesters
- With Erdogan at helm, Turkey to choose premier
- Mongolia hosts China's leader, seeks port access
- Australia cites reporter's killing in law reforms
- Tibet group says 3 more dead after police shooting
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!