Tuesday Night: A few t-showers are possible during the night. Partly ... More...
PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers
Seventy-three first-year elementary school teachers celebrated their
graduation from Public Education Foundation’s Teacher Induction Program
on Thursday evening at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Supported by a
partnership between the Benwood Foundation, PEF, and HCDE, the Teacher
Induction Program provides support, feedback, assistance, and guidance
to beginning elementary school teachers in Hamilton County Schools.
“Research shows that effective support programs for new teachers
through the use of trained mentor teachers and regular professional
development can improve new teacher retention, particularly in our
high-needs schools,” states Clara Sale-Davis, Director of the Teacher
Induction Program. “You have to give these new teachers hope. You need
to establish trust and then offer them help and support in their
teaching practices. That is what TIP does.”
Throughout the year-long program, the 73 participants receive
intensive professional development and are assigned a mentor teacher for
guidance and support. The Teacher Induction program has five goals:
-- Ensure that beginning teachers have a dedicated, effective, and
engaged mentor teacher and additional support professionals as needed
-- Provide beginning teachers with guidance and support from mentor teachers and/or grade level team
-- Promote the professional development and learning of beginning teachers
Engage beginning teachers in collaborative group work to share
experiences and effective teaching practices specifically designed to
enhance classroom instruction
-- Retain highly effective beginning teachers
“I felt like this program was a huge benefit as a new teacher,” says
Misty Coffee, a new third grade teacher at Hixson Elementary. “The
meetings we had were very encouraging!”
This is the third year of the Teacher Induction Program. In total, 115 teachers have graduated.PEFas Teacher Induction Program Graduates 73 New Teachers Tuesday, May 28 2013, 04:18 PM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Study: Georgia disaster preparation weak for kids
- Crews search Lake Lanier for missing woman
- Storms spark lightning fires in Winder, Macon
- Georgia Tech police probe robberies of students
- Alabama man shot to death; Georgia man wounded
- Police probe stabbing of pit bull inside pet store
- Crews respond to possible drowning at Lake Lanier
- Storms spark lightning fires in Barrow County
- Inmates tend to garden at Alabama county jail
- Company identifies worker killed at Savannah mill
- NTSB: Pilot in Ohio crash was trying to turn back
- 32 teens escape from Tenn. detention center; 9 still on lam
- Casey Anthony judge retires, joins private firm
- Maryland doctor with sex charge surrenders license
- Penn State student gains rep as squirrel whisperer
- Politico founder to be Washington Post publisher
- Netflix unveils new way to share recommendations
- UMass starts semester with giant clambake
- Chicago activist back in court in immigration case
- Flight diverted due to dispute over reclining seat
- Political skills above language for EU's Tusk
- Ontario police: Bieber charged with assault
- Sudan government closes Iranian cultural centers
- AP Interview: Iran says it disrupts nuclear plots
- Ukraine says Russian forces are in major rebel cities
- Official: New Polish prime minister this month
- Ukraine: Russian forces in major rebel cities
- Greece to toughen penalties on hate speech
- Instead of mushrooms, Austrian finds grenade
- Germany opens memorial to Nazis' disabled victims
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!