Wednesday: Morning clouds, then a mix of sun and clouds along with occasional showers and t-showers with a high in the mid/upper 80s. A west-southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
GPS Board Chairman Nini Davenport announced GPS Headmaster Randy Tucker’s retirement effective June 30, 2013. GPS leaders said that an Interim Head of School will be in place by July 1, 2013, with a permanent leader in place as scheduled by July 1, 2014.
Given Mr. Tucker’s long and successful tenure, the Board of Trustees and Mr. Tucker have taken a specific focus on ensuring a seamless transition. Because it is often very difficult to fill the shoes of a successful, long-serving Head, the decision was made to put an Interim Head of School in place for the 2013-14 academic year. This will provide a buffer and will allow GPS to attract exceptional candidates for the permanent Head of School position.
“Our Board has been working on a plan that encourages us to think strategically, ask questions and act boldly. Because of this, we are well positioned for the future and look forward to all that it holds,” said Davenport. “We are grateful for the strong team Randy built during his tenure with us, and we will build on those strengths as we search for a new leader. Clearly, GPS is in a much better place today than it was when Randy first joined us. We will miss him and will always consider him a valuable part of the family.”
“GPS has made great strides over the past 26 years,” said Tucker. “I am thankful to have had the opportunity to lead such a wonderful educational institution and am excited about what the future holds for both of us.”
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tow truck driver killed on Atlanta interstate
- Historically black colleges face uncertain future
- GA man guilty of faking allergy test results
- 29 officers graduating from Atlanta Police Academy
- GBI: Officer dragged by vehicle, kills driver
- Carter: Immediate ceasefire needed in Gaza Strip
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Authorities identify pregnant woman killed by car
- Jury selected after 2 days in porch shooting trial
- 2 suspects wanted in Atlantic City casino heist
- Tropical depression moving westward in Atlantic
- Judge spins rhymes in puppy-napping case
- US stocks climb as earnings reports roll in
- Deaf educator and pioneer Robert Panara dies at 94
- VA chief pledges end to whistleblower retaliation
- Suspect arrested in bomb scare on Louisiana campus
- Nielsen's top television programs for July 14-20
- Military suicides up a bit in 2014; More seek help
- Israel tells airlines not to cancel flights
- Nigerian president meets with parents of abducted girls
- Crash scene still not secure
- Canada deports members of human trafficking ring
- Egypt: 20 'terrorists' carried out border attack
- Infighting as split emerges among Syrian rebels
- Italy arrests smugglers accused of killing dozens
- Minibus crash in France kills 5 children, 1 adult
- Turkish PM says he, Obama no longer talk directly
- C. African Republic talks on hold; rebels absent
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!