Today: Sunny and a little warmer through the afternoon with a high in the upper 60s. A lighter breeze from the north at 10-15.
Tonight: A clear sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s (30s possible again mountains and away ... More...
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
GPS Board Chairman Nini Davenport announced GPS Headmaster Randy Tucker’s retirement effective June 30, 2013. GPS leaders said that an Interim Head of School will be in place by July 1, 2013, with a permanent leader in place as scheduled by July 1, 2014.
Given Mr. Tucker’s long and successful tenure, the Board of Trustees and Mr. Tucker have taken a specific focus on ensuring a seamless transition. Because it is often very difficult to fill the shoes of a successful, long-serving Head, the decision was made to put an Interim Head of School in place for the 2013-14 academic year. This will provide a buffer and will allow GPS to attract exceptional candidates for the permanent Head of School position.
“Our Board has been working on a plan that encourages us to think strategically, ask questions and act boldly. Because of this, we are well positioned for the future and look forward to all that it holds,” said Davenport. “We are grateful for the strong team Randy built during his tenure with us, and we will build on those strengths as we search for a new leader. Clearly, GPS is in a much better place today than it was when Randy first joined us. We will miss him and will always consider him a valuable part of the family.”
“GPS has made great strides over the past 26 years,” said Tucker. “I am thankful to have had the opportunity to lead such a wonderful educational institution and am excited about what the future holds for both of us.”
Randy Tucker, GPS Headmaster Retiring
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Metro Athens has lowest jobless metro jobless rate
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7.3 percent
- Senator to speak at Ga. veterans' center event
- Frost advisory issued for parts of Georgia
- Deal, Carter discuss gun laws, reforms at forum
- Group blocks Atlanta freeway in police protest
- Authorities in Ga. arrest 18 in child porn raids
- Body recovered from burned out car in Clarke Co.
- Fort Stewart deploying 32 soldiers to fight Ebola
- Georgia Aquarium says beluga whale is pregnant
- USDA brings indoor plumbing to Alaska village
- 3 states deny gay unions despite appellate rulings
- AP-GfK Poll: Many doubt hospitals can handle Ebola
- Police track Indiana slaying suspect's movements
- PTSD argued in case of Marine jailed in Mexico
- Chicago jail escapee sentenced to 36 years
- GOP Sen. Collins, Democrat Bellows debate in Maine
- 4 candidates for NY governor debate
- Man apprehended after jumping White House fence
- Obama invites Afghanistan's new leaders to US
- Airstrikes target oil field in eastern Syria
- Investigators detain 4 more in Moscow plane crash
- Police: Gunmen kill 8 Shiite Muslims in Pakistan
- Canada's PM says shooting rampage was terrorism
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- No motive cited in Ottawa attack
- Gunman, soldier dead after shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Mexico: Mayor linked to deadly attack on students
- Tourists watch solar alignment in Egypt temple
- Canada had raised domestic terror threat level yesterday
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!