Monday: Sunny and breezy. Less humid and cooler with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 70s. ... More...
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, FASHP, dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), has announced a new endowed scholarship through a $25,000 donation from the Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society (CAPS). The society presented the gift in memory of Reichle B. Chandler, a 1971 UT College of Pharmacy graduate, and a 1985 MBA graduate from UT Chattanooga. The endowment will be used to fund a scholarship for newly admitted or already enrolled students in the UT College of Pharmacy who hail from Hamilton or Bradley counties in Tennessee.
CAPS is an association of some 75 pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from Hamilton and Bradley counties. In August, 35 guests, including members of the society and other health care professionals, joined Dean Chisholm-Burns for a Chattanooga reception.
“Endowed scholarships play a significant role in supporting our students,” the dean stated. “We appreciate the society’s willingness to honor their colleague and our alumnus with this perpetual gift. Deserving pharmacy students will be forever grateful for your generous gesture.” Endowed scholarships are invested in order to generate annual interest payments. The interest helps to fund a student’s education every year but the principal of the gift is never touched.
The Chattanooga Area Pharmacists Society is a professional organization composed of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians from diverse practice settings and representative of all sectors of pharmacy. The group is dedicated to strengthening the profession by providing quality continuing education in a social environment, and by helping deserving pharmacy students with educational scholarships.
As the flagship statewide academic health system, the mission of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is to bring the benefits of the health sciences to the achievement and maintenance of human health, with a focus on the citizens of Tennessee and the region, by pursuing an integrated program of education, research, clinical care, and public service. In 2011, UT Health Science Center celebrated its centennial: 100 years advancing the future of health care. Offering a broad range of postgraduate training opportunities, the main UTHSC campus is located in Memphis and includes six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. The UTHSC campus in Knoxville includes a College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, and an Allied Health Sciences unit. In addition, the UTHSC Chattanooga campus includes a College of Medicine and an Allied Health Sciences unit. Since its founding in 1911, UTHSC has educated and trained more than 53,000 health care professionals on campuses and in health care facilities across the state. For more information, visit www.uthsc.edu.
Scholarship for Area Pharmacy Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Authorities investigating fuel truck fire in Macon
- Police: Man falls from dock, drowns in Lake Lanier
- New Ga. lobbying rules allow for summer travel
- Cobb police investigating fatal shooting
- Ga. agency says photo IDs will cost $7.7 million
- Police: Body left near railroad tracks in Atlanta
- University of Georgia to celebrate centennial
- Emory to celebrate life and work of Seamus Heaney
- Polk County sheriff's deputy fatally shoots man
- BET Hip-Hop Awards holds taping of show in Atlanta
- Global marches draw attention to climate change
- County sheriff touts grenade launcher as key tool
- Group says it gave hundreds of veterans free pot
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Southwest flight makes emergency landing at LAX
- White House intruder identified as Army veteran who served in Iraq, retired due to disability
- NYPD: 1 officer killed, 8 hurt in van crash
- UN General Assembly to focus on war on extremists
- 32 structures destroyed in California wildfire
- Erdogan: Turkey won't give hostage release details
- France's Sarkozy makes comeback TV appearance
- Official says Syrian refugee flood into Turkey hits 100,000 as Islamic State group advances
- 2 al-Shabab suspects arrested in Frankfurt
- Paris prison opens doors for Heritage Days
- Pope in Albania urges Muslims to condemn extremism
- Thousands march in Moscow against Ukraine fighting
- Sierra Leone reaches final day of Ebola lockdown
- US general: Arab nations needed in Iraq, Syria
- Hopes dim for return of Philippine troops to Golan
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!