SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced to nearly 2 years for impersonating DEA agent
- Youth soccer coach arrested on child pornography charges
- Health official: States should post local vaccination info
- Judge gives 18 years to head of Georgia-to-New York gun ring
- Sentencing delayed for man awaiting punishment in FAMU case
- Jimmy Carter's church adjusts to demand for Sunday lessons
- Defendant awaiting punishment in FAMU case to be sentenced
- Coastal Ga. residents urged to watch Tropical Storm Erika
- Watershed management to launch 'No Wipes in Pipes' campaign
- Here is the latest Georgia news from The Associated Press
- Records: Parents of slain Ohio boys rejected state care plan
- The Latest: Jurors in prep school rape case go home for day
- Buzz Aldrin joins university, forming 'master plan' for Mars
- Man charged in Jewish site deaths: Judge denying fair trial
- Million gallons of wastewater closes another beach in Hawaii
- US stocks end sharply higher after Chinese market surges
- Feds: Arizona man helped student get Islamic State training
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case
- Man charged in death of 9-year-old girl in Ferguson
- Teacher describes handling gun-wielding teen hostage taker
- Mexico replaces security chief and foreign relations head
- US strikes southern Afghan district seized by Taliban
- Air guitarists duke it out at Finland world championships
- Police can't keep migrants from crossing into Hungary
- UN experts call for fairness in Guatemala genocide trial
- Storm destroys homes, leaves 6 missing
- Jewish settlers take over homes in Arab part of Jerusalem
- Libya dialogue restarts without Tripoli representatives
- UN to investigate militia role in breaking Mali peace accord
- Egypt replaces EgyptAir chairman after heavy losses
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!