SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Couple wanted in 1992 cold case arrested in central Georgia
- Georgians denied diplomas may petition for one under new law
- 2 teens accused of stealing cars from valet lots arrested
- Gov. Deal announces new program to honor Vietnam veterans
- Partial skeleton found in Hall County
- Officers identified in fatal Smyrna police shooting
- Panel expected to review Ga. religious freedom bill canceled
- Spelman College names new president
- Jurors to resume deliberations in school cheating trial
- As young owls spread wings, online viewing of nest nears end
- 'Bernie' case prosecutor seeks recusal, says he's a witness
- Police: Man who drank 36 beers crashes into Utah house
- US files appeal of judge's hold on immigration action
- Cyclists completing ride from Sandy Hook to Washington
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Jury awards $38.5 million-plus in fatal shooting at plant
- Report: Hawaii supervisor manipulated veterans' benefit data
- Porbeagle shark may be listed as endangered species
- Christie backs proposed stricter abortion regulations
- Carter says US policy on Iran-backed forces will hold
- Canada approves extension and expansion of IS mission
- Mexico double-transplant patient gets US humanitarian pass
- Prosecutors probe Moldova ex-president's son for corruption
- Azerbaijan starts trial of 6 alleged Islamic State militants
- Red Cross truck attacked in Mali; 1 dead, 1 wounded
- Palestinians, Israeli Arabs mark 'Land Day'
- Wartime land mines kill 5 Iranian border guards, shepherd
- Evo Morales' party loses La Paz in Bolivian elections
- Report: Iran journalist defects while covering nuclear talks
- UK judge: Suspect in Litvinenko death can testify at inquiry
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!