Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a few scattered showers late. Lows near 60.
A better chance of rain arrives by Tuesday, along ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Hinesville man dies in ATV wreck
- Savannah police investigate fatal shooting
- Police seek suspect in unauthorized party shooting
- Man fatally hit by vehicle on Atlanta interstate
- Cobb police investigate crash in church lot
- Road likely to reopen as water main work continues
- Sewage plant odors could be topic of meeting
- Fundraising begins for university campus in Newnan
- NC authorities: 10-month-old girl abducted by dad
- Ga. GOP Senate hopefuls try to separate themselves
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring 21
- Biden heads to Ukraine as tensions rise
- Kids get codeine in ER despite risks, guidelines
- Sheriff: Log rolls over, kills boy in Washington
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in Colorado
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party
- 4-year-old half siblings die in accidental NY fire
- Memorial for 11 serial-killing victims needs $250K
- Gaza militants fire missile, rockets at Israel
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- Somali lawmaker killed in car bomb explosion
- Chinese police begin carrying guns during patrols
- Anti-junta Myanmar journalist Win Tin dies at 85
- Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after gear fails
- 8 killed in Finland parachutist plane accident
- 8 dead in northern Mexico plane crash
- Kuwait court shuts 2 newspapers over coup articles
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help; sub continues search for missing plane
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!