Wednesday: Sunny with an afternoon high in the upper 70s mountains to lower 80s valley. A northeast wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday Night: ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bond set for UGA student accused of making threat
- GA attorney general's office pays ethics case fine
- Man gets 10 months for dumping waste in DC river
- Simpson Lumber Company offered for sale
- Fox Theatre thanks Atlanta for saving it
- Burning smell prompts evacuations at hospital
- Part of hospital evacuated as crews battle fire
- Plane, 2 men still missing after weeklong search
- Man found stabbed to death in south Fulton County
- Symphony postpones concerts amid labor dispute
- 10 Things to Know-Wednesday
- 4 injured in natural gas tank blast in Wyoming
- Traffic resumes on highway hit by deadly landslide
- Retired UConn athletic director John Toner dies
- Denver area students walk out of school in protest
- Driver charged in fatal Delaware bus crash
- Bestselling book banned from middle schools
- PM: Haiti to hold much-delayed vote ASAP
- Injuries reported in Wyoming gas tank blast
- Woman breaks window, rescues baby in San Antonio
- Ex-Chinese planning official on trial for graft
- Toronto's mayor resting at home after chemo
- Obama urges world to follow US lead on climate
- Arab states single out Israel at IAEA
- Eds: Updates to include increased aid from the EU. With AP Photos.
- EU increases Syria refugee aid by $280 million
- US: Syria failed to confront Islamic State havens
- Mexico: 2 burned bodies found in congressman's car
- Algerian troops search for kidnapped Frenchman
- US: Over 50 countries agree to fight extremists
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!