Sunday Night: Isolated showers with temperatures holding steady in the lower to mid 50s. Winds from the southeast ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GA lawmaker wants schools to go digital by 2020
- State details project list of affordable housing
- Atlanta's Fernbank Museum set to expand
- Mourners gather to remember ex-Gov. Sanders
- Body of missing Georgia man found in NC
- Accounting oversight triggers Ga. hospital layoffs
- Georgia State to create media production center
- Interim presidents named at 2 GA universities
- UGA looks to boost research funds
- Bus hits plane at Atlanta airport; no one hurt
- Bay of Pigs vet, families seek billions from Cuba
- NC likely to join legislative push on Uber, Lyft
- Obama defends moves on immigration
- Cleveland police ask for help in fatal shootings
- US looking past Ebola to prepare for next outbreak
- Buffalo residents urged to prepare for flooding
- Islamic State group recruits, exploits children
- Flood Warnings issued in Buffalo area
- Rhodes scholars for class of 2015 announced
- Jewish settlers blamed in Palestinian house fire
- Iran: Nuclear talks may focus on an extension
- Sudan government asks UN Darfur mission to leave
- All Malaysia flight wreckage recovered in Ukraine
- Moldova to convene defense meeting before election
- Tunisians hold landmark presidential election
- Bahrain opposition blasts electoral turnout figure
- UK authorities briefly evacuate train station
- Afghan officials say suicide bomber kills some 45
- Muslim clerics meet in Iran to counter extremists
- Polish opposition questions election results
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!