SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Third Ga. man pleads guilty in anti-government militia plot
- Thunderstorms, high winds expected in north, central Ga.
- Man fatally shot by central Ga. sheriff's deputy
- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama
- Suspect arrested in 2002 death of Georgia college professor
- Attorney expecting charges against Ga. officer in shooting
- Tracy Morgan settles suit with Wal-Mart over fatal crash
- Ex-Ga. coroner pleads guilty to using dead man's bank card
- Man serving 105 years for shooting police officer found dead
- Atlanta man accused of killing wife found dead
- Pennsylvania man gets 7 1/2 years in counterfeiting, scams
- Woman, 51, pleads guilty in politics-fueled drunken killing
- California man beaten by deputies on video faces charges
- CDC: 150 possibly had contact with Lassa fever victim
- Science magazine retracts study on voters' gay-rights views
- Alabama, feds reach agreement over alleged prison abuse
- Census: No. of Americans on assistance may be leveling off
- Father charged after 3-year-old son shoots 1-year-old sister
- Latest on flooding: Flooding threatens North Texas homes
- The Latest: Holmes judge mulls issue after doctor testimony
- 2 ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees to tie the knot in Uruguay
- Lithuania wants NATO battalion as `security guarantee'
- Oxford University nominates 1st female vice-chancellor
- J Lo looks forward to Morocco's top music festival
- Bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' discrimination verdict
- UK defense chief dismisses nuclear fleet safety worries
- Belarus sentences man with opposition tattoo
- Finland's new justice minister supportive of death penalty
- Airstrikes target Yemen's rebels as fighting rages in east
- Russian opposition leader hospitalized after sudden illness
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!