SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DEA agent honored for rescuing family from burning truck
- Police: passenger dies in fatal getaway robbery attempt
- Bobby Brown's lawyer: Bobbi Kristina Brown has opened eyes
- Georgia high court upholds ruling tossing murder conviction
- Severe weather moves through north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia accused of Pennsylvania jury scam
- Weather advisories issued for north Georgia
- 2 ex-inmates in Georgia charged in Pennsylvania jury scam
- Man charged in 4 deaths waives arraignment in 1 case
- Weather advisories issued for north, central Georgia
- Arkansas cities push back against laws cast as anti-gay
- Jury to resume deliberations in Iowa spousal sex abuse case
- Penalty phase of Boston Marathon bombing trial set to begin
- Wife of ex-Virginia governor: Corruption trial was unfair
- Spokesman: Alabama woman left to join Islamic State group
- Ex-Va. governor's wife: Corruption trial was unfair
- Annual Jefferson Muzzles awards released, spotlighting those who snuffed or punished free speech
- Woman who designed "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign dies
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Sapling planted in Michael Brown's memory destroyed
- Man detained after fire at British embassy in The Hague
- US man gets 18-year jail for murdering girlfriend's mother
- 'Accountant of Auschwitz' standing trial in Germany
- 7 dead, 17 trapped in flooded northern China coal mine
- Sri Lankan lawmakers protest bribery summons for ex-leader
- Officials say explosion in southern Afghanistan kills 3
- Chinese President Xi Jinping addresses Pakistani parliament
- Afghan official: At least 2 dead in car bomb explosion
- Fierce storm lashes southeast Australia; 3 feared dead
- Japan PM sends offerings to criticized war shrine
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!