SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Columbus police officer dies from mountain climbing accident
- Woman shot by driver in DeKalb County road rage incident
- 4 shot at Decatur apartment complex; baby critically injured
- Delta evacuates plane in Jamaica after faulty report of fire
- Ga man sentenced to 8 years in death of infant son
- Student arrested in alleged shooting threat at Ga college
- Confederate flag backers indicted in Ga confrontation
- Police: Bicyclist dies after collision with school bus
- Monument to honor King sought at Georgia's Stone Mountain
- Plan to honor Martin Luther King Jr. atop Stone Mountain
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Freddie Gray hearing: Baltimore officers statements at issue
- Kosovo opposition protests detention of its leader
- Ex-head of Chicago Public Schools expected to plead guilty
- Man resisting eviction shoots at police from apartment
- 3 charged with killing tourist, hiker arrive in California
- Ex-A&M football player suspected in Dallas jogger killing
- Student sorry for mac and cheese tirade, says he's ashamed
- Bush offers plan to repeal, replace federal health care law
- Wildfire near Casper, Wyo., forces evacuations, destroys buildings
- Pakistan executes 9, including 4 brothers
- Taliban withdraw from northern Afghan city
- The Latest: Norway prepared to take a share of refugees
- Turkey bans rally by activists mourning colleagues
- China says Russia, US must avoid fighting proxy war in Syria
- Philippines backs US plan to sail ship near Chinese island
- Okinawa gov revokes approval for relocation of US air base
- Rights group says US-backed Kurds displacing Arabs in Syria
- Rebels kill at least 7 civilians in attacks in eastern Congo
- UN appeals for $86M in food aid for Zimbabwe
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!