SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fool's Gold Day Off continues multi-city festival in Atlanta
- Georgia, feds settle allegations against hospital system
- 2 ex-sheriff's worker sentenced on bribery, drug charges
- Parents arrested after abandoned baby was found roadside
- DWI courts aim to change behavior of repeat offenders
- Police: Gunman attacks teacher on her way to school
- Rascal Flatts to headline Rock 'n' Roll Savannah Marathon
- Police suspend search of wells for teen missing since 2007
- Police investigate killing of man south of Atlanta
- Water park set to open in North Augusta next year
- Oregon judge refuses to perform same-sex marriages
- California lawmakers seek nation's first 'Yes means Yes' high school sexual assault training
- San Diego firm recalls cucumbers after salmonella outbreak
- Texas officer who killed teen hired by police on 3rd try
- Fire at Planned Parenthood in Washington state was arson
- Suspicious, early morning fire damages Planned Parenthood
- Eds: With AP Photos.
- Parents arrested after abandoning baby on the roadside
- Carter Lay, grandson of potato chip maker, dies at 44
- Spat erupts within Benghazi panel as another former Clinton aide testifies
- Thai police seek 10th suspect in deadly Bangkok bombing
- Islamists dominate cities in Morocco local elections
- UPDATE: Bus fleet in Hungary carries migrants to Austrian welcome
- Drowned Syrian boys' aunt fights to bring family to Canada
- UN threatens sanctions if South Sudan peace deal isn't kept
- Opposition leader arrested in Bolivia
- Germany: 30 apparently suffer amphetamine poisoning
- Thai court sentences 4 to life in prison over rally attack
- Fire in Greek psychiatric hospital leaves 3 dead
- Supporters of Christian Lebanese leader protest in Beirut
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!