SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. man sentenced in embezzlement from Grady Hospital
- Police: Detective fatally shot in 'ambush' outside Atlanta
- GA man sentenced in DUI crash that killed wife after wedding
- Deputy shoots, wounds man in central Georgia
- Man faces murder charge in killing of taxi driver's son
- Sleet, freezing rain possible in north Georgia
- Fulton County police officer shot and killed in line of duty
- Georgia attorney general to launch food drive competition
- Man killed in confrontation with police detectives
- Lawyers: Georgia waffles on execution with cloudy drug
- Veterinarian detained in East Timor returns to Oregon
- US finds racist, profit-driven practices in Ferguson
- Autopsy fails to pinpoint death cause for Oregon baby in car
- Second Los Angeles hospital reports 'superbug' infections
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Fire at Oregon mobile home kills 3
- Firefighters rescue dog trapped in gap between walls
- TV crew confronted on LA's Skid Row; 1 arrested
- Teacher jailed for showing high school class violent movie
- Jury deliberations end for day in Jodi Arias case
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 32
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia to talk Iran, Yemen instability
- Myanmar police drag away protesting factory workers
- Iranian special operatives free diplomat abducted in Yemen
- After Ebola ban, N. Korea opens marathon to foreigners
- Maduro rejects speculation he..ll suspend Venezuela elections
- Dominican Republic temporarily closes consulates in Haiti
- Effort set to recover body found on Mexico's highest peak
- Chemical fire at Vancouver's port prompts evacuation
- Australia offers Indonesia prisoner swap to stop executions
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!