Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the low 70s. Wind from the Northwest 10-15 mph.
Tonight: Clear skies with a low in the mid 40s. North wind 5-10.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man killed when tractor overturns in pond
- Ga man charged in wife's death on Ala highway
- Witnesses recall how plane crashed in Gainesville
- Officer fires at car after pedestrians struck
- Jury to resume deliberations in county CEO trial
- Professor given National Science Foundation grant
- Georgia workshops urge women to embrace outdoors
- 2 Ga. men sentenced to life in fatal armed robbery
- 2 men found fatally shot in west Ga. house
- Georgia criminal justice council given 8 grants
- Rural areas seek piece of subprime-loan settlement
- Purple Heart found on playground to be returned
- Rock attack victim poised to return to Ohio home
- New Mexico man's typo costs him thousands on bill
- California rock climber dies in Zion National Park
- Shark bites into Maui man's stand-up paddleboard
- Lawyer: Tsarnaev friend didn't commit any crime
- Governor signing law in response to Abu-Jamal talk
- Zoo boosts security after Tasmanian devil's death
- Police: Flight 93 fire cause may never be known
- British man guilty in hammer attack on UAE women
- UK eavesdropping agency head defends work
- Oil CEO in sad toll of famed plane crash victims
- Submarine hunt exposes Swedish readiness gap
- Afghan opium poppy cultivation hits all-time high
- NATO intercepts Russian jets over Baltic Sea
- Terrorist ideology blamed in Canada car attack
- Neighbor: Suspect in soldier's death had become radicalized
- Poland's Sikorski under fire over Russia interview
- Morocco court doubles activist's prison sentence
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!