SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Elderly Ga. woman found dead in ditch
- Deadline nears for end of 2015 Ga. legislative session
- Central Arkansas officials apply to host football bowl game
- Governor says he will sign transportation funding proposal
- Jury begins Day 8 of deliberations in school cheating trial
- Couple suspected in 1992 death to be extradited to Kansas
- Woman sent to prison for setting fire to homeless camp
- Woman added to Tennessee Top Ten Most Wanted list caught
- Witnesses say boy, 3, killed when he accidentally fires gun
- Day 8 of deliberations in Atlanta schools cheating trial
- Student charged with sexual abuse at campus day care center
- Phoenix police officer won't face charges in fatal shooting
- Arizona recycling truck driver saves kitten from the trash
- 2nd victim identified in New York City building explosion
- The latest developments on religious objection laws
- Minn. lawmaker to return contributions from indicted senator
- Teen must complete cancer treatment in hospital, judge says
- Reid's exit sets off Senate leadership scramble
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Police: Gunman in medical office murder-suicide left a note
- British Prince Harry reports for duty in Australia next week
- Hugo Chavez' favorite daughter makes UN debut as US bashed
- Lacking faith in government, Mexican parents approach cartel
- Amnesty: Gambia sentences 3 to death for attempted coup
- Gay Premier urges businesses in Indiana to move to Ontario
- Gay premier urges businesses in Indiana to move to Ontario
- French officials: Alps avalanche kills 3 tourists, injures 1
- Al-Jazeera journalist says Canada not issuing him passport
- New Nigerian leader vows to go after Boko Haram
- 9 UK citizens headed to Syria arrested, Turkey military says
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!