SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Billy Dilworth --veteran Georgia, SC journalist -- dies at 80
- 2-year-old girl drowns in south Georgia river
- Atlanta DUI suspect jumps 30 feet from overpass
- Fleeing suspect runs to law enforcement training center
- Flash flood advisories issued in north Georgia
- Event set to honor Declaration of Independence signers
- Security heightened for Fourth of July events, travel
- Flash flood warnings issued in north Georgia
- Feds to retain oversight of Ga. behavioral health system
- Zoo Atlanta acquires bald eagle from Auburn Raptor Center
- AP-AM Prep-Scores and Skeds
- America welcomes July 4 with hot dogs, cool music, cold beer
- America ushers in July 4 with hot dogs, hot music, cool beer
- Medical helicopter crashes in Frisco; 3 escape
- 400-foot Ferris wheel stops: All 66 riders safely taken off
- Another 1700s Massachusetts home hit by vehicle
- Authorities: Ferris wheel in Orlando stops, stranding riders
- Washington motel closes after possible Legionnaires' report
- Coast Guard suspends Alaska search for overboard crew member
- NASCAR distances itself from Donald Trump after remarks
- Taiwan stands up to China with World War II military parade
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to make first US visit
- UN says children being killed in Burundi's violence
- Mexico set to free founder of Michoacan vigilante movement
- El Salvador's 677 murders in June most since civil war
- France to assist Cameroon as it fights against Boko Haram
- Stolen border crossing cards recovered in Mexico
- Pope to Christians: Put aside divisions amid persecution
- Heavy fighting in Syria as Islamic militants, rebels announce new push for city of Aleppo
- Woman injured after bomb explodes at Canadian law firm
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!