Today: Sunny to partly sunny and hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. An isolated shower over the Blue Ridge Mtns. A southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Tonight: A few clouds and muggy with an overnight low in the low 70s.
Sunday: ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Cobb judge Oks $397M in bonds for Braves stadium
- Ex-secretary for Douglas prosecutor indicted
- Police investigating fatal crash in Cobb County
- Savannah displays maps tracing city's origins
- Excursions set for Okefenokee, Cumberland Island
- Course offered for commercial license instructors
- Hundreds of demonstrators rally in Atlanta over war in Gaza
- Dueling ethics complaints filed in Ga. gov race
- Judge approves bonds to finance new Braves stadium
- Dozens in Atlanta rally on either side of Gaza war
- FBI: No arrests yet in scam targeting migrant kids
- No ticket for Shrek over loud musical, chief says
- On border, Obama prods GOP while citing progress
- Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless
- DA: 2 more guns found at hospital shooter's home
- Nissan expands recall prompted by faulty air bag
- Lawmakers complain Obama too aloof with Congress
- GOP works to avert Senate upset in Georgia
- Gifts-for-favors trial set for ex-governor, wife
- Arizona execution renews debate over methods
- UK man freed 5 months after Yemen kidnapping
- French president wants all passenger bodies transferred to France,
- Video shows smiling American suicide bomber in Syria
- UN finds second black box of Air Algerie jet
- Spain ex-regional leader admits to undeclared cash
- Pope goes to stronghold of Naples-area mobsters
- UN Myanmar envoy worried over camps for displaced
- Germany: man accused of child abuse over 20 years
- Nigeria to screen airline travelers for Ebola
- Turkey: 20 police arrested for illegal wiretaps
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!