Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday ... More...
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith announced the Hamilton County Board of Education and the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council (SSAC) will host the 11th Annual Student SPEAK OUT Conference on Friday, February 1, 2013, at The Chattanoogan from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The SSAC is an organization comprised of students representing every high school who meet regularly with the Superintendent. The conference is sponsored by the Federal Character Education Partnership Grant. The entire conference will be student led.
Each high school selected five students to attend the conference. They will engage in the following focus group discussions led by student members of the SSAC:
-- Has bullying risen to a new low for peer interaction? What solutions can make a difference?
-- What rights do students have when it comes to religious expression in the schools?
-- How will e-books improve student achievement?
-- How does self-esteem/confidence improve student achievement?
-- What are the pros and cons of internet usage and social networking?
-- Do schools effectively deal with drugs, alcohol and tobacco?
-- How does character development impact decision making in schools today?
SPEAK OUT Conference Announced
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Grady Health System gets $30 million grant
- School considers options for Bible verse monument
- Atlanta Symphony president and CEO steps down
- Ga. lawmakers to discuss medical education
- Ga. college smoking ban goes into effect Wednesday
- 2 sentenced in Atlanta teen sex trafficking case
- Saint Augustine's football player dies in GA crash
- Wal-Mart: Morgan, others weren't wearing seatbelts
- Hotel linen management company opening Ga. plant
- Serial armed robber sentenced to 32 years
- SC cop indicted in shooting shrouded in mystery
- Virginia police: Forensic evidence links 2 cases
- Bill allows families to seek gun restraining order
- Obama, Modi to put upbeat face on US-India ties
- Secret Service head faces questions on WH breach
- Quotations in the News
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Records, photos of famed US WWII bombers go online
- Testimony resuming in Detroit officer's trial
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Car crash damages Poland's famous Solidarity wall
- US-led airstrikes hit Islamic State near Turkey
- US Ebola labs, parts for clinic arrive in Liberia
- Iran to help Lebanon army fight extremists
- More and more French joining Mideast jihad
- Hong Kong leader says Beijing won't back down
- Thai man gets death penalty for train rape, murder
- China celebrates new holiday of Martyr's Day
- Mexico detains 5 in suspected oil theft ring
- S. Korean ship runs aground, everyone rescued
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!