Tonight: An isolated shower far north early. A fair to partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the upper 60s.
Friday: Sunny to partly sunny and still hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. A south wind at 5-10mph.
Friday ... More...
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
An “accomplished scholar” and “proven team builder” has been named the 17th leader of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, recommended by UT President Joseph DiPietro and approved by the UT Board of Trustees on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Dr. Steve Angle, senior vice president at Wright State University, will officially become the new chancellor of UTC on July 1, 2013.
“Steve is an ideal fit for UTC. He knows what it takes to run a metropolitan campus, and I am confident he and his family will be embraced by the community. He has been a successful faculty member and researcher, and that adds value to his ability to be a leader,” DiPietro said. “Our priority is to make UTC the best institution it can be and to continue the progress that has been made in Chattanooga. I believe Steve will help UTC accomplish its goals and introduce new aspirations.”
Angle believes filling vacant leadership positions is critical and those searches need to begin immediately. He also expects to get to know the campus and its culture during his first months on the job.
Angle said he was drawn to UTC because of the opportunity to make a difference at a metropolitan university that’s “right downtown. It’s not a university off isolated, it’s part of the community. It will have a huge impact on the future of the region and Chattanooga. To see them grow together with excellence is an exciting opportunity.”
He is most concerned that students who decide to come to UTC have the chance to thrive in their new environment. He wants to talk with students so that they can tell him not what he wants to hear, but what they really feel.
“How do we treat freshmen in that very critical first semester? How do we help them if they are floundering? There are many different sides to it, not just in the classroom, but being on their own for the first time in the dorm. How do we help support them? Do we provide the right structure?” he asked.
Angle hopes to meet with student leaders on a regular basis, so that he can stay connected. Bradley Bell, President of the UTC Student Government Association, served on the search committee for UTC Chancellor.
“Students are excited about Dr. Angle’s appointment because he has an open and charismatic personality,” said Bell. “Dr. Angle will be able to connect well with UTC students.”
Before his tenure began at Wright State in 2007, Angle served as dean of the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and director of the Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at the University of California, Riverside.
The new chancellor will replace Roger Brown, who retired September 30, 2012. Dr. Grady Bogue, retired professor of leadership and policy studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has served as interim chancellor.
Angle earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine; a master’s degree in organic chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of California, Irvine.
Angle is married to Dr. Dominique Belanger. He is the father of Zoe, Ian, and Brad.
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Little Richard not hurt in Tennessee car accident
- Rideshare company comes to Ala., Ga. college towns
- Second person arrested in taxi driver's death
- Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death
- Family sues East Point after death in custody
- City moves ahead on benefits for same-sex couples
- Woman gives birth inside Walmart near Atlanta
- Sheriff's captain accused of crimes involving teen
- Ga. lane closures to be lifted for holiday weekend
- Atlanta Audubon Society plans tour
- Obama taps veteran diplomat to be Afghan envoy
- Wife of Maryland U.S. Rep. Andy Harris dies
- Police: Man rams car into SC assisted living home
- 2 California counties ask to form separate state
- Museum to display 6,500-year-old human skeleton
- High school buddies followed similar path to jihad
- Flight diverts to Boston over reclined-seat upset
- Murder charge for child care worker in boy's death
- Wyoming sheriff says pastor actually shot himself
- Southern California gets more big surf
- Ranger in Africa's oldest park wounded by grenade
- Jamaica agriculture minister dies in Florida
- Russia defends actions in Ukraine
- Dominican gov't slow to issue permits to migrants
- Pakistan army chief to mediate political crisis
- Egypt militants post beheading video
- Pope removes key Benedict XVI protege
- Somalia asks UN court to set maritime boundary
- UN: Islamic State group threatens Syria aid access
- VENICE WATCH: Iranian tales; vampire takes a break
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!