Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
An “accomplished scholar” and “proven team builder” has been named the 17th leader of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, recommended by UT President Joseph DiPietro and approved by the UT Board of Trustees on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Dr. Steve Angle, senior vice president at Wright State University, will officially become the new chancellor of UTC on July 1, 2013.
“Steve is an ideal fit for UTC. He knows what it takes to run a metropolitan campus, and I am confident he and his family will be embraced by the community. He has been a successful faculty member and researcher, and that adds value to his ability to be a leader,” DiPietro said. “Our priority is to make UTC the best institution it can be and to continue the progress that has been made in Chattanooga. I believe Steve will help UTC accomplish its goals and introduce new aspirations.”
Angle believes filling vacant leadership positions is critical and those searches need to begin immediately. He also expects to get to know the campus and its culture during his first months on the job.
Angle said he was drawn to UTC because of the opportunity to make a difference at a metropolitan university that’s “right downtown. It’s not a university off isolated, it’s part of the community. It will have a huge impact on the future of the region and Chattanooga. To see them grow together with excellence is an exciting opportunity.”
He is most concerned that students who decide to come to UTC have the chance to thrive in their new environment. He wants to talk with students so that they can tell him not what he wants to hear, but what they really feel.
“How do we treat freshmen in that very critical first semester? How do we help them if they are floundering? There are many different sides to it, not just in the classroom, but being on their own for the first time in the dorm. How do we help support them? Do we provide the right structure?” he asked.
Angle hopes to meet with student leaders on a regular basis, so that he can stay connected. Bradley Bell, President of the UTC Student Government Association, served on the search committee for UTC Chancellor.
“Students are excited about Dr. Angle’s appointment because he has an open and charismatic personality,” said Bell. “Dr. Angle will be able to connect well with UTC students.”
Before his tenure began at Wright State in 2007, Angle served as dean of the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and director of the Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at the University of California, Riverside.
The new chancellor will replace Roger Brown, who retired September 30, 2012. Dr. Grady Bogue, retired professor of leadership and policy studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has served as interim chancellor.
Angle earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine; a master’s degree in organic chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of California, Irvine.
Angle is married to Dr. Dominique Belanger. He is the father of Zoe, Ian, and Brad.
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Fire crews find body while dousing blaze at mobile home
- Residents say sweltering heat persists at Atlanta apartments
- Stray bullet kills woman, 81, as she played cards on porch
- Plans for Army base could include museum, amphitheater
- Augusta VA employee jailed, accused of violating bond
- Funeral set for Naval officer slain in Tennessee attack
- Police: 2 dead bodies found inside Norcross home
- Precautionary boil water advisory lifted in DeKalb County
- Police: Landlord finds 2 dead bodies in Norcross home
- Woman's body found in creek at Ga. campsite
- 7 killed in 2 small plane crashes in Wisconsin, Minnesota
- Man's pit bull attacks his wife; part of her arm amputated
- 300 years after shipwreck, treasure hunters find $1M in gold
- Police: Officer shoots, wounds man in Baltimore
- The Latest on missing teens: Search area expands
- ATM workers forget bag of cash, man drives off with $150K
- Union raffling gun to benefit officer who shot unarmed man
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Obama ivory crackdown leaves open California loopholes
- Theater shooting: No red flags reported at time of gun sale
- The Latest: Syrian militants: Turkish-US deal helps beat IS
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions
- French archaeology students find 560,000-year-old tooth
- Boko Haram kill 29 villagers in northeast Nigeria
- The Latest: NATO exec: Turkey told not to use undue force
- Iran says will hold 'high-level talks' with EU
- Zimbabwe: 2 to appear in court for killing Cecil the lion
- The Latest: Turkey: Kurdish peace process can resume
- Bosnian government adopts EU reforms plan
- German doctor declared woman dead, she later woke up
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!