Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
An “accomplished scholar” and “proven team builder” has been named the 17th leader of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, recommended by UT President Joseph DiPietro and approved by the UT Board of Trustees on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Dr. Steve Angle, senior vice president at Wright State University, will officially become the new chancellor of UTC on July 1, 2013.
“Steve is an ideal fit for UTC. He knows what it takes to run a metropolitan campus, and I am confident he and his family will be embraced by the community. He has been a successful faculty member and researcher, and that adds value to his ability to be a leader,” DiPietro said. “Our priority is to make UTC the best institution it can be and to continue the progress that has been made in Chattanooga. I believe Steve will help UTC accomplish its goals and introduce new aspirations.”
Angle believes filling vacant leadership positions is critical and those searches need to begin immediately. He also expects to get to know the campus and its culture during his first months on the job.
Angle said he was drawn to UTC because of the opportunity to make a difference at a metropolitan university that’s “right downtown. It’s not a university off isolated, it’s part of the community. It will have a huge impact on the future of the region and Chattanooga. To see them grow together with excellence is an exciting opportunity.”
He is most concerned that students who decide to come to UTC have the chance to thrive in their new environment. He wants to talk with students so that they can tell him not what he wants to hear, but what they really feel.
“How do we treat freshmen in that very critical first semester? How do we help them if they are floundering? There are many different sides to it, not just in the classroom, but being on their own for the first time in the dorm. How do we help support them? Do we provide the right structure?” he asked.
Angle hopes to meet with student leaders on a regular basis, so that he can stay connected. Bradley Bell, President of the UTC Student Government Association, served on the search committee for UTC Chancellor.
“Students are excited about Dr. Angle’s appointment because he has an open and charismatic personality,” said Bell. “Dr. Angle will be able to connect well with UTC students.”
Before his tenure began at Wright State in 2007, Angle served as dean of the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and director of the Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at the University of California, Riverside.
The new chancellor will replace Roger Brown, who retired September 30, 2012. Dr. Grady Bogue, retired professor of leadership and policy studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has served as interim chancellor.
Angle earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine; a master’s degree in organic chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of California, Irvine.
Angle is married to Dr. Dominique Belanger. He is the father of Zoe, Ian, and Brad.
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- As young owls spread wings, online viewing of nest nears end
- Police: Man calls 911 after fatally stabbing girlfriend
- Macon man, 19, shot to death at abandoned car wash
- Prayer vigil planned after man in Maserati shot by police
- Police: Man accidentally shoots himself at gun show
- Atlanta pedestrian struck by vehicle, killed in Savannah
- Tough topics face Ga. lawmakers in session's final week
- Records: Georgia, Alabama governors meet on water dispute
- Employers to seek to fill jobs at northeast Georgia job fair
- Atlanta airport set to open new northbound entrance
- Obama to headline Kennedy Institute dedication
- Small investors blame losses on brokers they once trusted
- Obama to attend opening of Institute honoring Sen. Kennedy
- Focus shifts to cause of NYC explosion after 2 bodies found
- Hundreds celebrate, 10 arrested after MSU Final Four advance
- Man suspected of shooting at off-duty LAPD officer detained
- Pentagon chief mulls easing military enlistment standards
- Off-duty, undercover LAPD officer shot at in neighborhood
- Small plane crashes in Texas, at least 2 seriously hurt
- Palm Sunday service fills stadium in Texas
- Hope, fear as Nigerians await results of presidential vote
- France's far-right fails to win a council in local voting
- 14 killed in car crash in Egypt's southern Sohag province
- Iran nuclear talks at crunch time
- AP chief: Killing of journalists should be a war crime
- 11 killed as bus plunges into gorge in eastern India
- Flood alerts issued in Kashmir as rivers cross danger mark
- Evo Morales' party loses La Paz in Bolivian elections
- China evacuating from Yemen, suspending anti-piracy patrols
- Small planes crash in 3 states
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!