Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
An “accomplished scholar” and “proven team builder” has been named the 17th leader of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, recommended by UT President Joseph DiPietro and approved by the UT Board of Trustees on Friday, March 1, 2013.
Dr. Steve Angle, senior vice president at Wright State University, will officially become the new chancellor of UTC on July 1, 2013.
“Steve is an ideal fit for UTC. He knows what it takes to run a metropolitan campus, and I am confident he and his family will be embraced by the community. He has been a successful faculty member and researcher, and that adds value to his ability to be a leader,” DiPietro said. “Our priority is to make UTC the best institution it can be and to continue the progress that has been made in Chattanooga. I believe Steve will help UTC accomplish its goals and introduce new aspirations.”
Angle believes filling vacant leadership positions is critical and those searches need to begin immediately. He also expects to get to know the campus and its culture during his first months on the job.
Angle said he was drawn to UTC because of the opportunity to make a difference at a metropolitan university that’s “right downtown. It’s not a university off isolated, it’s part of the community. It will have a huge impact on the future of the region and Chattanooga. To see them grow together with excellence is an exciting opportunity.”
He is most concerned that students who decide to come to UTC have the chance to thrive in their new environment. He wants to talk with students so that they can tell him not what he wants to hear, but what they really feel.
“How do we treat freshmen in that very critical first semester? How do we help them if they are floundering? There are many different sides to it, not just in the classroom, but being on their own for the first time in the dorm. How do we help support them? Do we provide the right structure?” he asked.
Angle hopes to meet with student leaders on a regular basis, so that he can stay connected. Bradley Bell, President of the UTC Student Government Association, served on the search committee for UTC Chancellor.
“Students are excited about Dr. Angle’s appointment because he has an open and charismatic personality,” said Bell. “Dr. Angle will be able to connect well with UTC students.”
Before his tenure began at Wright State in 2007, Angle served as dean of the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and director of the Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at the University of California, Riverside.
The new chancellor will replace Roger Brown, who retired September 30, 2012. Dr. Grady Bogue, retired professor of leadership and policy studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has served as interim chancellor.
Angle earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine; a master’s degree in organic chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of California, Irvine.
Angle is married to Dr. Dominique Belanger. He is the father of Zoe, Ian, and Brad.
Steve Angle Named as New UTC Chancellor
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Former sheriff's major convicted in corruption trial
- 3 convicted in anti-government militia plot receive 12 years
- 3 men sentenced to prison in anti-government militia plot
- Police investigate murder-suicide of parents in Georgia
- Georgia man guilty for 2nd time of stealing sea turtle eggs
- Pawn shop sells Jack Kevorkian's assisted suicide van
- Strong winds blamed for 2 deaths in Seattle area
- The Latest: Clinton: Celebrate progress but continue work
- Hammerhead shark sighting prompts California beach closure
- Police: NY mom killed baby girl, lived with body for months
- Missing hiker found alive after 9 days lost in Sierra Nevada
- Police: Mom shot answering front door was likely targeted
- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time
- The Latest: Nancy Pelosi praises New Orleans' progress
- Police: NY woman killed infant, lived with body for 3 months
- Afghan official says forces retake district from Taliban
- El Salvador officials deactivate powerful car bomb
- Dominica digs out from storm damage that killed at least 20
- Lawmakers urge lifting immunity of Guatemalan president
- The Latest: Lebanese group threaten to escalate protests
- Burkina Faso court rejects candidate of former ruling party
- Pakistan army kills 14 suspected militants near Afghanistan
- Young migrant found suffocated in boat off Greek island
- Storm dissipates after killing at least 20 in Caribbean
- Iran president opposes parliament vote on nuclear deal
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!