Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a period or two of showers and storms. Ending as the afternoon goes on. High in the mid/upper 80s. A west, then northwest wind ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Family of Georgia man shot in park gets $1.5M
- Covington police say officer shot man with sword
- Sandy Springs police find car taken in carjacking
- Body found in 18-wheeler on I-20 in Warren County
- Atlanta Cyclorama painting to move across town
- Head of troubled CDC anthrax lab has resigned
- Tropical depression weakens to tropical wave
- Fund set up for injured firefighters
- Crews clearing out Savannah homeless camps
- Daycare won't appeal revocation of license
- Ohio woman to be sentenced in slave labor case
- Family: Teen pilot who crashed in ocean knew risks
- Suspected Nazi guard's death a blow to prosecutors
- Deliberations in Ventura trial to enter Day 3
- FAA lifts ban on US flights to Tel Aviv airport
- Farm bank donates $10 billion for rural projects
- Some lethal injection problems in US executions
- Midazolam is common thread in 3 lengthy executions
- Eds: With AP Photos.
- Conviction upheld for chef in boiled-body case
- 13 school children die in train-bus crash in India
- China lifts quarantine after man dies of plague
- Philippines deports Australian Islamic preacher
- UN aid chief says Gaza ceasefire is vital
- Australia vows help to secure Ukraine crash site
- Venezuelan network Telesur expands into English
- Patriotic parade at big Peru psychiatric hospital
- Iraq: al-Maliki rejects Iran's urging to step down
- Puerto Rico to pay for chikungunya virus testing
- Jamaica police arrest 41 suspected scammers
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!