Saturday: A mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon high in the upper 60s and even near 70 in spots. A southwest wind at 10mph.
Saturday Night: Cloudy and dry during the evening. Some light rain possible late in the night and toward daybreak. Expect ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Law officers make arrests after Augusta shooting
- NTSB: Police chopper too low, likely causing crash
- FBI seeks suspects in South Georgia bank robbery
- 1st blind hiker to trek Appalachian Trail dies
- Police seek car suspected of Savannah vandalism
- Feds tightening security at Brunswick courthouse
- Savannah police search for driver who damaged park
- GOP Senate candidates will meet in Macon debate
- Woman doubted man was threat before Ga. shooting
- Audra McDonald to perform at 4th symphony gala
- 73 arrested at Massachusetts pre-St. Pat's blowout
- Scores arrested at Massachusetts 'Blarney Blowout'
- Pilot killed in fighter jet crash is identified
- Loud noise complaint leads to NYC heroin bust
- Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Dozens arrested at Massachusetts 'Blarney Blowout'
- Maryland governor derides tea party, urges unity
- Long-time Obama aide to leave White House
- Mother arrested in stabbing deaths of 3 children
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- President says Gambia to shift from English
- EU's Ashton: No guaranteed success in Iran deal
- Iconic Israeli paper fails to print Sunday edition
- Iraq: Suicide car bomb kills at least 9
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Arms ship captured by Israeli navy arrives at port
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!