Tonight: Clear skies with a low in the low/mid 40s. 30s possible north and mountains. North wind 5-10.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny, breezy and a little cooler with a high in the mid 60s. Wind from the North 10-15 mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Judge declares mistrial in Burrell Ellis case
- Ga. Ebola response team to meet at state Capitol
- South Ga. man sentenced on child porn charges
- Prosecutors meet to discuss gun violence
- 2 arrested in fatal Coweta County shooting
- NTSB: Pilot errors, lack of sleep led to crash
- Homeland Security orders new screening for Ebola
- Ebola causing spike in demand for hospital gear
- Man killed when tractor overturns in pond
- Ga man charged in wife's death on Ala highway
- Arraignment delayed for White House fence-jumper
- Expert: PTSD could be factor in activist's past
- Florida State frat suspended after rape allegation
- 'Girlfriend' crack makes Obama voting all laughs
- Perry's 1st court appearance delayed until Nov. 7
- Police contacted actress before she was found dead
- AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November
- De la Renta gave first ladies fashion, friendship
- Pentagon: counter-IS campaign costs $424 million
- Leagues file to stop New Jersey sports betting
- Congo doctor Mukwege wins EU human rights prize
- Ancient Greek well yields rare wooden statue
- Submarine hunt exposes Swedish readiness gap
- IAPA: press freedom deteriorating in the Americas
- Police find dead infants in Winnipeg locker
- Oil CEO in sad toll of famed plane crash victims
- Anti-government cleric ends protest in Islamabad
- Police in Macedonia arrest 9 in helicopter scam
- Activists, militants: Islamic State group fighters seize weapons airdrop meant for Kurds
- British man guilty in hammer attack on UAE women
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!