Tonight: Mostly cloudy with an overnight low in the low/mid 30s.
Friday: Partly sunny with an afternoon high in the ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. entrepreneur convicted of hiding income abroad
- Logistics company building plant in west Ga.
- Savannah Philharmonic director takes position in California
- FDA official warns of dangers of caffeine powder
- Gwinnett County school board to vote on new attendance zones
- Audit: Fulton County IT department mismanaged contracts
- Alabama woman admits role in tax fraud
- Georgia jobless rate drops to 7.2 percent
- Georgia Aquarium has new executive VP and COO
- Country artist headlines Gov. Deal inaugural gala
- Obama signs legislation ending benefits for Nazis
- 2nd security clearance investigation contractor hacked
- Oklahoma prisons lawyer says he felt pressured
- 2 defendants in meningitis outbreak case seek bail
- Police: Drunk man shot while entering wrong house
- US prepared to veto UN plan for Israeli occupation
- Group challenges timber producer's 'green' label
- Feds sue NYC over Rikers Island jail violence
- Bruce and Kris Jenner finalize divorce
- Trauma expert: Kidnapping victim can thrive
- Pope Benedict got ball rolling with Cuba on Gross
- Canada woman stops for ducks; sentenced in 2 deaths
- Ireland repays $11 billion to IMF years early
- India's Sonia Gandhi hospitalized for infection
- Mexican legislator rescued from kidnappers
- Video claims responsibility for Tunisia killings
- India's Sonia Gandhi in hospital
- Iraqi Kurdish troops open corridor to Sinjar
- Parliament OKs German soldiers for Afghan mission
- US-Cuba rapprochement complicates LatAm politics
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!