Tonight: A fair sky and cooler with an overnight low in the mid/upper 50s.
Thursday: Sunny to partly sunny with an afternoon high in ... More...
Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Savannah considers heat rules for carriage horses
- Man convicted of 1998 killing dies in prison
- GA medical center giving free take-home drug tests
- UGA to draft preservation plan for school property
- Man found dead in suspicious fire south of Atlanta
- UGA garden to host Shakespeare's plants lecture
- Sale of Rogers' Rangers New York site nearly done
- Jimmy Carter speaks on Islamic State at forum
- 23 arrested in drug trafficking investigation
- Army National Guard troops return from Afghanistan
- Teen accused of stealing car, running over officer
- Pa. lawmaker's staffer pleads guilty in gun case
- Fatal crash hurts officer before Arizona commute
- House panel on Benghazi aims for bipartisan tone
- Senate: China hacked military contractor networks
- Texas woman set to die for starvation of child, 9
- Girl, 8, dies after nine-story fall from apartment
- 3 arraigned in disappearance of Mass. boy
- Pacific storm starts pushing rain into Arizona
- Former Ohio deputy arrested in colleague's slaying
- Researchers locate site of gas chambers in Poland
- French terror case against Iran opposition dropped
- Experts: Chopin's heart shows signs of TB
- Czechs to train Iraqi helicopter pilots
- Milestones of Scots' journey to independence vote
- Finland: 4 charged with funding Somali militants
- Germany to provide logistical help in Ebola crisis
- Gunmen capture Lebanese soldier in border town
- Qatar emir: No support for extremists
- UN envoy says Cyprus peace talks enter new phase
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!