Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
A new report shows Tennessee students are leading the nation in academic growth.
Commonly known as "The Nation's Report Card," the National Assessment of Educational Progress assesses students in fourth and eighth grade reading and math. The report released Thursday shows Tennessee students had the largest growth of any state from 2011-2013, with a 22-point growth across all subject areas. The next closest state in growth was Indiana with 15.
For fourth-grade students, Tennessee went from 46th to 37th in math and from 41st to 31st in reading.
State officials say the improvement is partially due to education reforms over the last few years including a tougher teacher evaluation process.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Tenn. Students Lead Nation in Academic Growth
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 1 person killed, others hurt in crash at Ga courthouse
- Scarlett O'Hara outfit could fetch $100,000 at auction
- Georgia school district hopes to implement free meal program
- Georgia school district implements new free meal program
- Animal shelter rescues baby chicks from Georgia post office
- State panel to discuss prevention of infant 'co-sleeping'
- Tybee Island prepares for 'Orange Crush' partygoers
- Jury indicts 3 in killing of Univ. of Georgia student
- Ga. city rejects $90 million water park resort proposal
- Carter Center to observe Guyanese election
- Attorneys seek dismissal of charges in Islamic State case
- Hawaii telescope builders again extend construction timeout
- Judge OKs bail for 2 accused of supporting Islamic State
- Gas-line blast closes major highway, injures at least 11
- 2 convicted of desecrating Illinois cemetery get prison time
- Man pleads not guilty in killing of missing girlfriend
- Storm diverts Oklahoma-bound Seattle elephants to San Diego
- The Latest: White House hopefuls gather in New Hampshire
- 2nd arrests made in fatal shooting of university student
- Ex-police commander accused of torture decries reparations
- Rouhani says Saudis will harvest hatred in Yemen
- Indian troops fire at Kashmir protesters; teenager killed
- Colombia's president wants rebels to set deadline for peace
- Iran urges UN to try to end Saudi-led bombing in Yemen
- Canada charges 4 British Navy sailors with sex assault
- UN weather agency scratches 'Isis' from storm name list
- At least 40 dead in Baghdad bombings
- Germany flies over 100 people from Yemen to Djibouti
- Migrants burned in Libyan gas explosion arrive in Italy
- Al-Qaida in Yemen takes massive weapons depot from army
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!