Tonight: With the exception of an isolated evening t-shower, expect a partly cloudy and muggy night with a low in ... More...
TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Metro Atlanta's jobless rate rises to 8 percent
- Pill ring trial in Mississippi pushed to December
- US Secretary of Labor to visit Atlanta
- Fire department to train at Atlanta airport
- DJJ has deputy commissioner for secure facilities
- Group rallies in Ga. to protest Missouri shooting
- GA teen found with bullets at school faces charges
- 4 accused of throwing rocks from Ga. overpass
- Heat advisory issued in middle, east Georgia
- Arrested US judge embarrassed, entering treatment
- Ohio woman sent to prison for school outburst
- Officer involved in Wal-Mart shooting back on job
- Quieter night in Ferguson, with fewer protesters
- Many police killings, but only Ferguson explodes
- Vegas offering all but marriage to LGBT tourists
- Hearing set in Amish girls' kidnapping in NY
- OSU freshman hospitalized after cardiac incident
- Guilty plea expected by friend of marathon suspect
- Palestinian banner unfurled on NYC bridge
- Israeli air strikes pound Gaza; 6 dead in Rafah
- South Africa: man dead after orange pelting
- German arbitration panel rejects looted art claim
- Poland protests joke at swimming event in Berlin
- 39 dead, dozens missing in Japan landslides
- German doctor accused of drugging, abusing women
- 5 Ukrainian troops killed; fierce battles reported
- WHO officials to visit Liberian Ebola clinics
- Freed activist won't stop 14-year hunger strike
- Cambodian floods kill 45 people since last month
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!