Tonight: Becoming cloudy along with a few late night showers. An overnight low only in the mid to upper 60s.
Friday: ... More...
TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Columbus airport aims to lure airline with grant
- Authorities ID man killed by Atlanta transit train
- Savannah residents told to move for police station
- Sand and rock-filled socks hurled at vehicles
- GA juvenile justice dept. offers citizen's academy
- DeKalb given police, violence prevention grants
- Emory gets papers of artist, writer Chase-Riboud
- Ex-Atlanta principal testifies in cheating trial
- Atlanta bus driver charged in pedestrian's death
- 10 CDC staffers sent to Texas for Ebola probe
- Supreme Court takes up housing bias case
- Justices to review Arizona districting commission
- Reputed drug cartel member to change plea in US
- No action from high court on gay marriage
- US stocks stabilize after plunge; McCormick gains
- Killer of New Jersey rabbi's wife out of prison
- Supreme Court asked to block Wisconsin voter Iaw
- 2 firefighters retire during Atlantic City blaze
- More than 4,000 hogs die in fire at NC farm
- Eastman Kodak cutting 70 jobs in Rochester area
- New Swedish PM can expect struggle ahead
- Official: Suicide bombers kill 7 at Libyan airport
- Activists say Assad supporters protest in Syria
- Greenland calls for early elections next month
- Putin: state will support sanctions-hit sectors
- South Africa: white extremist's house stirs debate
- Watchdog: Turkey has fearful journalism climate
- New economics head vows tough EU budgets oversight
- 15 feared dead in explosives factory blast
- Australia lifts Ebola donation to $16 million
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!