TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia Power acknowledges rising costs for Plant Vogtle
- Ga. man sentenced in death of girlfriend's younger brother
- Austell mayor proposes paying employees for working out
- Rain leads to more than 591,000 gallon Ga. wastewater spill
- Execution date set for Ga. man convicted in 1992 slaying
- Ga. consumer information possibly compromised in data breach
- Spate of crimes linked to Craigslist prompts extra caution
- Clarke County schools superintendent gets national honor
- Fort Benning has new garrison command sergeant major
- Acrobat reported missing from circus in Atlanta area
- House Roll Call: Approving 1-week DHS funding bill
- House OKs bill to fund Homeland Security for 1 week
- House Roll Call: Rejecting 3-week DHS funding bill
- La. teen accused of knocking school bus driver unconscious
- Senate approves 1-week funding bill for Homeland Security
- Rabbi accused of videotaping women resigns from university
- Obama condemns 'brutal murder' of Russian opposition figure
- Administration circulates plans for possible DHS shutdown
- GOP, Dem senators offer bill challenging Obama on Iran
- Md. Senate president apologizes for Hitler comment
- China's latest survey finds increase in wild giant pandas
- Mexico gillnet ban taking effect to help endangered porpoise
- Ex-Colombia president's allies convicted for spying ring
- Mexico City former mayor breaks with leftist PRD party
- Mexico's dolphinariums come under criticism from activists
- Mexico to replace embattled attorney general
- Switzerland 1st country to submit pledge for UN climate pact
- UN plans decision in August on mass Ebola vaccine program
- Scandinavians form human chains after synagogue attacks
- Venezuelan students protest deadly force order
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!