Today: Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 80s. Light North wind.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the lower 60s and winds near calm.
Quiet weather pattern for most of the week with clear skies through Thursday ... More...
TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Grady Health System gets $30 million grant
- School considers options for Bible verse monument
- Atlanta Symphony president and CEO steps down
- Ga. lawmakers to discuss medical education
- Ga. college smoking ban goes into effect Wednesday
- 2 sentenced in Atlanta teen sex trafficking case
- Saint Augustine's football player dies in GA crash
- Wal-Mart: Morgan, others weren't wearing seatbelts
- Hotel linen management company opening Ga. plant
- Serial armed robber sentenced to 32 years
- SC cop indicted in shooting shrouded in mystery
- Virginia police: Forensic evidence links 2 cases
- Bill allows families to seek gun restraining order
- Obama, Modi to put upbeat face on US-India ties
- Secret Service head faces questions on WH breach
- Quotations in the News
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Records, photos of famed US WWII bombers go online
- Testimony resuming in Detroit officer's trial
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Car crash damages Poland's famous Solidarity wall
- US-led airstrikes hit Islamic State near Turkey
- US Ebola labs, parts for clinic arrive in Liberia
- Iran to help Lebanon army fight extremists
- More and more French joining Mideast jihad
- Hong Kong leader says Beijing won't back down
- Thai man gets death penalty for train rape, murder
- China celebrates new holiday of Martyr's Day
- Mexico detains 5 in suspected oil theft ring
- S. Korean ship runs aground, everyone rescued
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!