Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy and much cooler. Low in the upper 30s.
Tuesday: A mix of sun and clouds. Cooler, with a high in the mid 50s. A north wind at 5-10mph.
Tuesday Night: Cloudy. A chance for rain possible, ... More...
TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
The Hamilton County STEM High School, a platform school of the Tennessee STEM Innovation Network (TSIN), has received a contribution of $16,500 from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for the purposes of expanding STEM learning.
Five other STEM platform schools within the TSIN also benefitted from TVA’s statewide contribution, which totaled $100,000 and was announced today at an event in Knoxville. TVA’s support for public education emphasizes learning activities associated with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), along with other skill areas that are vital to TVA’s workforce.
“TVA understands that excellence in education is the key to our future,” said TVA vice president Justin Maierhofer. “We support initiatives like the STEM schools that develop a talent pipeline for TVA and its customers. Our employees also support our partner schools by volunteering their time.”
The Hamilton County STEM High School opened this past August with an inaugural student body of 75 freshman students. A new class of freshman will be added each year until the school reaches its full enrollment of 300 students. Led by Principal Dr. Tony Donen, the STEM High School is focused on implementing innovative, hands-on learning models which advance the students’ problem-solving, collaboration and communication skills.
“Our STEM model focuses not only on the core STEM subject areas of science, technology, engineering and math, but also on the learning process itself,” said Dr. Donen. “The technology devices and flexible scheduling we use has allowed the teachers to customize instruction to meet student needs and has given students the opportunity to really take ownership of their own educational experiences.”
TVA’s partnership in the STEM High School will help develop strong teaching practices and expand STEM learning in schools throughout Southeast Tennessee. Over the years, the organization has continuously supported robotics, environmental science, college scholarships and other STEM programs in an effort to enhance workforce capabilities.TVA Contributes $16,500 for Hamilton County STEM
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former jail clerk charged with theft from inmates
- Body found on shore of Lake Lanier
- VA regional director announces plans to retire
- Crews work to assess storm damage, restore power
- Woman dies after being shot at MARTA bus stop
- Georgia court upholds private probation law
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- 2 teenage victims named in Cleveland home shooting
- Stranded sea turtles to be flown to Florida
- Honda admits failing to report deaths, injuries
- Son sought after woman run over, killed in Maine
- Lost hummingbird gets lift from St. Paul to Texas
- Security breach eyed at US embassy in Yemen
- Man sentenced in heroin death of Pickens' grandson
- Alabama deputy, 3 teens killed in head-on crash
- Academics vote to be forum on Israel boycotts
- Teens punished for prank on autistic classmate
- Cruise ship passenger lost overboard off Sydney
- Iran nuclear talks extended until July
- UN chief: Palestinian recognition gains momentum
- Nigeria's opposition condemns raid on their office
- Sinn Fein delivers list of suspected IRA rapists
- Gunmen kill scores in northeastern Nigeria
- Iran president: 'Negotiations will lead to a deal'
- US condemns Gambia's anti-gay law
- Saudi Arabia: Islamic State group linked to attack
- Syrian on hunger strike outside Greek parliament
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!