Today: Partly to mostly sunny with an afternoon high in the low 70s. Light North wind.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and ... More...
TWC Scholarship Honor's Woman's Father
May 2013 one Sweetwater High School student will receive scholarship funding for Tennessee Wesleyan College thanks to the generous donation of Pamela Clark of State Farm Insurance Agency in Sweetwater, Tenn. The Goldie Barefield Annual Scholarship will honor Clark’s late father, Goldman “Goldie” Barefield, a native of Etowah who served in the U.S. Army National Guard.
“I want to honor my father’s legacy with this scholarship,” said Clark, who graduated from Tennessee Wesleyan in 1988 with a bachelor’s in business management and accounting. “Although my father didn’t have the opportunity to pursue an education of his own, he always encouraged and supported my sisters and I to complete our college degrees.”
Clark’s donation to the college will annually help fund a Sweetwater High student’s first year at Tennessee Wesleyan.
“Scholarships helped me attend Tennessee Wesleyan and having the opportunity to honor my father’s memory with a scholarship for a student to attend my alma mater means the world to me,” said Clark.
A review committee established by Clark will annually review applicants for the scholarship. The award criteria for an applicant to be considered include academic excellence, leadership and service within the school and the community.
“It’s always great when a community leader or business leader steps up to the plate and provides a scholarship award, especially to an institution like Tennessee Wesleyan, which Sweetwater High School has always had a good relationship with,” said David Watts, Sweetwater High School principal.
“Scholarships like this one could help students who academically meet the criteria and need an avenue like this to help them get a college education. It’s a win-win for the community and it’s a win-win for Pamela Clark who gets to honor her father with generosity and charity in his name.”
Barefield’s reputation for caring and kindness, which inspired Clark’s decision to fund a Tennessee Wesleyan scholarship, is well-known throughout the local community.
“Goldie encouraged his daughters and cared deeply for all his children and his wife Joretta,” said Paul Willson, chairman and CEO of Citizen's National Bank and a family friend of Clark’s who will be on the scholarship’s inaugural selection committee. “To remember his kindness through a Tennessee Wesleyan scholarship is monumental for Pamela and her family.”
Tennessee Wesleyan College, founded in Athens, Tenn., in 1857, is a private liberal arts institution affiliated with the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church. The college’s dedicated faculty and staff believe in providing the resources and support students need to become socially responsible, intellectually skilled and spiritually developed members of our community. For additional information about Tennessee Wesleyan College, visit www.twcnet.edu, become a TWC fan on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TWCnews.
TWC Scholarship Honor's Woman's Father Monday, August 27 2012, 10:26 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ala court voids same-sex child visitation order
- Va. man wanted in fatal shooting caught in Georgia
- 150 students at Ga. school to be tested for TB
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- In Ga. Senate race, Nunn stumps across north Ga.
- Marietta firm proposes purchase of newspapers
- Plea deal in FAMU case is off the table
- Perdue urging conservatives in final bus tour
- Burned dogs showing up at Georgia animal hospital
- Federal officials: Dallas nurse free of Ebola
- Woman guilty of pushing husband off cliff appeals
- Some New Yorkers showing fears of Ebola
- Judge ready to bar developers from using Rocky Top
- Police: Man, 65, kicked 102-year-old woman in shin
- 1st arrest made through use of pumpkin riot photos
- Police pursuit ends in bar crash, 12 injured
- Britney Spears to get Vegas key, 'Britney Day'
- Feds probe Maryland air crash that killed 3
- Man shot by SC trooper recovering, seeks justice
- Poland strips Russian journalist of accreditation
- UN authorizes ship inspections for Somali charcoal
- Vienna honors deserters from Hitler's army
- Macedonia: Gay activists hurt in cafe attack
- Gestapo impostor tricked Nazi sympathizers in WWII
- Momentum builds in Rwanda to ban BBC
- China's president pledges $81 million in Ebola aid
- Pat Robertson comment on AIDS angers Kenyans
- Putin accuses US of undermining global stability
- US to compensate Philippines for coral reef damage
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!