Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 40. Light wind.
Monday: Mostly cloudy with the high near 60.
Showers will arrive late Monday night ... More...
Tyner Academy Teens Helping Through Music
Serious crimes seem to happen everyday and kids are being affected by the endless violence. Some area teens stand out in the crowd and want it to stop.
We talked to a group of Tyner Academy juniors about what they're doing about it.
Trevieon Spence, Cedric Fifer, LaMaurea Summerville and Isaiah McIntosh are fed up with violence. They started TCLI Productions are on a mission to help. TCLI stands for "Talented Children Learning Importance", as well as the initials of the kids involved.
LaMaurea Summerville says, "There are kids out here that are so talented nowadays and um it's just so sad to just see them being killed off or being put in jail or getting involved in the wrong thing when their talents could take them somewhere".
An avid Gospel and R and B singer, Isaiah McIntosh feels bad music choices can lead to negative actions. He says, "We just want to take that music and make it positive. Everything starts from the mind. It starts with the decision and then you start thinking it and then you start saying it then, you speak it and then you do it".
The emotion hits close to home for all of them. Trevieon Spence said, "We know those people who are dying and stuff for no reason over different things...it's crazy. But we're just here to actually escort that out and bring music into the picture. That's what we all love to do. So I feel like we can actually set a movement for that".
They use their knowledge of music to turn negative energy into something good and starting a business designed to give kids a chance. Cedric Fifer sees how the violence affects kids. "We hear Donut and Friends on the radio stations. They say our youth are at risk. We need Chattanooga's support to help us and if we can't get that, we can't move forward".
At this point, the boys are needing a permanent space to mentor students in music and music production. They welcome any help they can get. They remain positive and they stay focused on the mission at hand. TCLI Productions is keeping the faith that place will be found. For now. they're committed to helping young people in our area and being part of the change.
by: Beth Neuhoff
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash
- Coach won't be sidelined by Lou Gehrig's disease
- Usher seeks restraining order against woman
- 2 bodies found in northwest Atlanta house
- Name stories: Tum Tum, God's Wonder, Shady Eden
- No struggling Ga. hospitals create stand-alone ERs
- TVA backs off controversial tree-cutting policy
- UGA vet school to host shelter medicine conference
- Hearings delayed in officials' suits against Columbus
- Savannah city employees donate 25,204 cans of food
- Egypt opens border with Gaza after 2-month closure
- 2 cops ambushed, fatally shot in car; gunman kills himself
- Michael Brown's family condemns shootings of NYC officers
- Reaction to the fatal shootings of 2 NYC police officers
- 2 dozen injured in southern Indiana bus crash
- Police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America
- 4 teens die in fiery head-on crash in Pennsylvania
- Fort Worth firefighters use oxygen to save cat
- Police: Man in elf costume charged with DWI
- US dismisses North Korean denial, proposal for joint probe
- Video shows Boko Haram killing captives
- Ex-mayor sworn in as Romania's new president
- Saudi oil chief: No conspiracy behind oil prices
- Palestinians throw stones, injure Israeli boy
- Kurds push into Sinjar; Iraqis battle for airport
- Gabon police break up opposition rally, 1 killed
- Israel arrests more from Jewish extremist group
- Tunisians head to elect president in runoff
- Taliban kill 7 Afghan policemen at checkpoint
- Bomb blast kills 3, hurts 5 in northeastern India
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!