Wednesday: Morning clouds, then a mix of sun and clouds along with occasional showers and t-showers with a high in the mid/upper 80s. A west-southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Wednesday ... More...
Tyner Academy Teens Helping Through Music
Serious crimes seem to happen everyday and kids are being affected by the endless violence. Some area teens stand out in the crowd and want it to stop.
We talked to a group of Tyner Academy juniors about what they're doing about it.
Trevieon Spence, Cedric Fifer, LaMaurea Summerville and Isaiah McIntosh are fed up with violence. They started TCLI Productions are on a mission to help. TCLI stands for "Talented Children Learning Importance", as well as the initials of the kids involved.
LaMaurea Summerville says, "There are kids out here that are so talented nowadays and um it's just so sad to just see them being killed off or being put in jail or getting involved in the wrong thing when their talents could take them somewhere".
An avid Gospel and R and B singer, Isaiah McIntosh feels bad music choices can lead to negative actions. He says, "We just want to take that music and make it positive. Everything starts from the mind. It starts with the decision and then you start thinking it and then you start saying it then, you speak it and then you do it".
The emotion hits close to home for all of them. Trevieon Spence said, "We know those people who are dying and stuff for no reason over different things...it's crazy. But we're just here to actually escort that out and bring music into the picture. That's what we all love to do. So I feel like we can actually set a movement for that".
They use their knowledge of music to turn negative energy into something good and starting a business designed to give kids a chance. Cedric Fifer sees how the violence affects kids. "We hear Donut and Friends on the radio stations. They say our youth are at risk. We need Chattanooga's support to help us and if we can't get that, we can't move forward".
At this point, the boys are needing a permanent space to mentor students in music and music production. They welcome any help they can get. They remain positive and they stay focused on the mission at hand. TCLI Productions is keeping the faith that place will be found. For now. they're committed to helping young people in our area and being part of the change.
by: Beth Neuhoff
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 3 Ga. firefighters hurt during training accident
- Tow truck driver killed on Atlanta interstate
- Historically black colleges face uncertain future
- GA man guilty of faking allergy test results
- 29 officers graduating from Atlanta Police Academy
- GBI: Officer dragged by vehicle, kills driver
- Carter: Immediate ceasefire needed in Gaza Strip
- Police: Resident fights robbery suspects; 1 shot
- Man accused in officer death to be tried in Athens
- Seaplane pilots want to land planes on Lake Lanier
- Board puts soda tax before San Francisco voters
- New York police eye retraining after custody death
- Trial date set in Colorado theater shooting case
- Seeking the limelight, Biden courts key Dem groups
- Bomb talk suspect to plead to immigration charge
- Beretta: Gun law forcing move out of Maryland
- Maryland church built in 1773 ravaged by fire
- Cause of fire at Williston company unknown
- Georgia man pleads guilty to faking allergy tests
- Jury selected after 2 days in porch shooting trial
- Qatar, Saudi rulers meet on Gaza cease-fire talks
- Puerto Rico police probe deaths of 16 cats, dogs
- Mexico's circuses caught up in animal rights spat
- Israel tells airlines not to cancel flights
- Nigerian president meets with parents of abducted girls
- Crash scene still not secure
- Canada deports members of human trafficking ring
- Egypt: 20 'terrorists' carried out border attack
- Infighting as split emerges among Syrian rebels
- Italy arrests smugglers accused of killing dozens
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!