Today: Partly to mostly sunny with an afternoon high in the low 70s. Light North wind.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid 40s.
Saturday: Sunny to partly sunny and ... More...
Tyner Academy Teens Helping Through Music
Serious crimes seem to happen everyday and kids are being affected by the endless violence. Some area teens stand out in the crowd and want it to stop.
We talked to a group of Tyner Academy juniors about what they're doing about it.
Trevieon Spence, Cedric Fifer, LaMaurea Summerville and Isaiah McIntosh are fed up with violence. They started TCLI Productions are on a mission to help. TCLI stands for "Talented Children Learning Importance", as well as the initials of the kids involved.
LaMaurea Summerville says, "There are kids out here that are so talented nowadays and um it's just so sad to just see them being killed off or being put in jail or getting involved in the wrong thing when their talents could take them somewhere".
An avid Gospel and R and B singer, Isaiah McIntosh feels bad music choices can lead to negative actions. He says, "We just want to take that music and make it positive. Everything starts from the mind. It starts with the decision and then you start thinking it and then you start saying it then, you speak it and then you do it".
The emotion hits close to home for all of them. Trevieon Spence said, "We know those people who are dying and stuff for no reason over different things...it's crazy. But we're just here to actually escort that out and bring music into the picture. That's what we all love to do. So I feel like we can actually set a movement for that".
They use their knowledge of music to turn negative energy into something good and starting a business designed to give kids a chance. Cedric Fifer sees how the violence affects kids. "We hear Donut and Friends on the radio stations. They say our youth are at risk. We need Chattanooga's support to help us and if we can't get that, we can't move forward".
At this point, the boys are needing a permanent space to mentor students in music and music production. They welcome any help they can get. They remain positive and they stay focused on the mission at hand. TCLI Productions is keeping the faith that place will be found. For now. they're committed to helping young people in our area and being part of the change.
by: Beth Neuhoff
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 150 students at Ga. school to be tested for TB
- Body in burned car identified as Atlanta woman
- Georgia probate judge guilty of embezzlement
- In Ga. Senate race, Nunn stumps across north Ga.
- Marietta firm proposes purchase of newspapers
- Plea deal in FAMU case is off the table
- Perdue urging conservatives in final bus tour
- Burned dogs showing up at Georgia animal hospital
- Homeowner kills man during shootout near Atlanta
- Metro Atlanta jobless rate falls to 7.3 percent
- Police pursuit ends in bar crash, 12 injured
- Britney Spears to get Vegas key, 'Britney Day'
- Feds probe Maryland air crash that killed 3
- Man shot by SC trooper recovering, seeks justice
- Missouri police preparing for grand jury decision
- Obama offers federal help to NY with Ebola case
- NY doctor back from Guinea has Ebola
- Police: Hatchet-wielding suspect shot by officers
- Judge dismisses cases in IRS political controversy
- Tornado rips roofs in Washington state
- US to compensate Philippines for coral reef damage
- 180 questioned about election fraud in Romania
- Pat Robertson comment on AIDS angers Kenyans
- Poland appeals Europe court ruling on CIA prison
- Botswana votes as president seeks second term
- Erdogan: FSA sending 1,300 fighters to Kobani
- Pakistan detects more polio cases on awareness day
- Syrian government forces shell rebel areas, kill 9
- Cameron: EU secures $1.25 billion for Ebola fight
- Australia says missing plane hunt will take months
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!