Tonight: Increasing clouds with a low near 43.
Friday (Halloween): Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. Scattered light showers as well. An afternoon ... More...
Tyner Academy Teens Helping Through Music
Serious crimes seem to happen everyday and kids are being affected by the endless violence. Some area teens stand out in the crowd and want it to stop.
We talked to a group of Tyner Academy juniors about what they're doing about it.
Trevieon Spence, Cedric Fifer, LaMaurea Summerville and Isaiah McIntosh are fed up with violence. They started TCLI Productions are on a mission to help. TCLI stands for "Talented Children Learning Importance", as well as the initials of the kids involved.
LaMaurea Summerville says, "There are kids out here that are so talented nowadays and um it's just so sad to just see them being killed off or being put in jail or getting involved in the wrong thing when their talents could take them somewhere".
An avid Gospel and R and B singer, Isaiah McIntosh feels bad music choices can lead to negative actions. He says, "We just want to take that music and make it positive. Everything starts from the mind. It starts with the decision and then you start thinking it and then you start saying it then, you speak it and then you do it".
The emotion hits close to home for all of them. Trevieon Spence said, "We know those people who are dying and stuff for no reason over different things...it's crazy. But we're just here to actually escort that out and bring music into the picture. That's what we all love to do. So I feel like we can actually set a movement for that".
They use their knowledge of music to turn negative energy into something good and starting a business designed to give kids a chance. Cedric Fifer sees how the violence affects kids. "We hear Donut and Friends on the radio stations. They say our youth are at risk. We need Chattanooga's support to help us and if we can't get that, we can't move forward".
At this point, the boys are needing a permanent space to mentor students in music and music production. They welcome any help they can get. They remain positive and they stay focused on the mission at hand. TCLI Productions is keeping the faith that place will be found. For now. they're committed to helping young people in our area and being part of the change.
by: Beth Neuhoff
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Defense case may begin case in FAMU hazing trial
- Defense expected to rest case in FAMU hazing trial
- Chilly weather expected across Georgia
- Police seek 'very pregnant,' caped robbery suspect
- 4 Kansas education commissioner candidates named
- Atlanta to unveil new civil rights markers
- Georgia sex offenders to be monitored on Halloween
- Georgia agencies training to battle wildfires
- 1 killed, 2 injured in College Park shooting
- Ga. officer recovering from pepper spray accident
- Upstate New York home cleared of 150-plus cats
- New tropical depression forms in the Pacific
- Analysts predict economy showed strong growth in 3rd quarter
- Marine recharged in Iraq war case back in court
- Oregon, Alaska are ground zero in pot fight
- NFL seeks to dismiss ex-players' painkillers suit
- Democratic areas win more transportation grants
- Man's own dog helps police bust him on drug charge
- Obama to rally for Maine gubernatorial candidate
- Ohio veteran found guilty, fined over pet ducks
- Malala donates prize money to rebuild Gaza school
- UK court says Libyan can sue over rendition
- Peshmerga troops start entering Syrian border town
- German 'Autobahn sniper' sentenced to 10 1/2 years
- Brutal winter set to hit war-torn eastern Ukraine
- Jailed reporter's family asks Iran to release him
- Liberia official: 'Good progress' against Ebola
- Plans for Antarctic marine reserve falter again
- Israeli police kill suspected Palestinian shooter
- Drone strike kills 2 militants in NW Pakistan
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!