Sunday Night: Isolated showers with temperatures holding steady in the lower to mid 50s. Winds from the southeast ... More...
Tyner Academy Teens Helping Through Music
Serious crimes seem to happen everyday and kids are being affected by the endless violence. Some area teens stand out in the crowd and want it to stop.
We talked to a group of Tyner Academy juniors about what they're doing about it.
Trevieon Spence, Cedric Fifer, LaMaurea Summerville and Isaiah McIntosh are fed up with violence. They started TCLI Productions are on a mission to help. TCLI stands for "Talented Children Learning Importance", as well as the initials of the kids involved.
LaMaurea Summerville says, "There are kids out here that are so talented nowadays and um it's just so sad to just see them being killed off or being put in jail or getting involved in the wrong thing when their talents could take them somewhere".
An avid Gospel and R and B singer, Isaiah McIntosh feels bad music choices can lead to negative actions. He says, "We just want to take that music and make it positive. Everything starts from the mind. It starts with the decision and then you start thinking it and then you start saying it then, you speak it and then you do it".
The emotion hits close to home for all of them. Trevieon Spence said, "We know those people who are dying and stuff for no reason over different things...it's crazy. But we're just here to actually escort that out and bring music into the picture. That's what we all love to do. So I feel like we can actually set a movement for that".
They use their knowledge of music to turn negative energy into something good and starting a business designed to give kids a chance. Cedric Fifer sees how the violence affects kids. "We hear Donut and Friends on the radio stations. They say our youth are at risk. We need Chattanooga's support to help us and if we can't get that, we can't move forward".
At this point, the boys are needing a permanent space to mentor students in music and music production. They welcome any help they can get. They remain positive and they stay focused on the mission at hand. TCLI Productions is keeping the faith that place will be found. For now. they're committed to helping young people in our area and being part of the change.
by: Beth Neuhoff
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Forecasters warn of heavy rain, damaging wind in Georgia
- State details project list of affordable housing
- Atlanta's Fernbank Museum set to expand
- EPA proposes plan to clean contaminated Ga. marshland
- GA lawmaker wants schools to go digital by 2020
- Mourners gather to remember ex-Gov. Sanders
- Body of missing Georgia man found in NC
- Accounting oversight triggers Ga. hospital layoffs
- Georgia State to create media production center
- Interim presidents named at 2 GA universities
- Thruway fully open after western NY snow cleared
- Hunter dies after accidentally shooting himself
- Mother who shot children dies from her injuries
- Vatican prosecutor didn't report abusive priest
- Man ID'd who lit house on fire, ambushed officers
- Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift set for 2014 AMAs
- Relatives question honor for civil rights workers
- Obama expresses sadness at death of Marion Barry
- Boy with fake gun dies after shot by Ohio officer
- Marijuana advocates hope Maine goes legal next
- Muslim clerics meet in Iran to counter extremists
- Iran releases British-Iranian woman on bail
- Tunisians hold landmark presidential election
- Nigeria: Dozens dead in suspected extremist attack
- Egypt willing to send troops to future Palestine
- Kenya's deputy president condemns extremist attack
- Syrian rebels attack besieged Shiite villages
- Iran: Nuclear talks may focus on an extension
- All Malaysia flight wreckage recovered in Ukraine
- Sudan government asks UN Darfur mission to leave
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!