Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
Unum will present 58 Hamilton County school teachers with more than $50,000 in mini-grants at its annual Strong Schools Grant teacher luncheon tomorrow, Jan. 8.
The grants — up to $1,000 each — will help the teachers pay for education materials and programs that engage students and improve their achievement levels.
“There’s great work being done in Hamilton County schools, but we’re recognizing the best of the best,” said Tom White, senior vice president of investor relations for Unum. “Selected out of 144 applicants, these educators will receive grants to help fund worthwhile classroom projects that will provide an even better education for their students.”
The Strong Schools Grants program is part of a multi-year partnership between Unum and the Hamilton County Department of Education. Since 2008, Unum has awarded 271 Strong Schools Grants as part of its commitment of more than $950,000 to Chattanooga public schools. In addition to the Strong Schools Grants program, other initiatives include:
-- Elementary School Technology Grant: In the first phase of the partnership, Unum awarded seven well-performing elementary schools with two state-of-the-art Promethean Collaborative Teaching Systems each. These systems are interactive whiteboards that engage students with vivid images, video and audio.
-- Technology Challenge Grant: To encourage other businesses, organizations and individuals to give, Unum used this grant to match donations to schools specifically for Promethean technology. Fifty-nine Technology Challenge Grants were awarded in the first phase of the partnership.
-- Mentor Program: Through a partnership with Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Unum employees are trained and matched with sixth-grade students at two middle schools.
-- Principal Leadership Academy: The company has given $300,000 to fund a program to train prospective principals in the county school system on how to be strong leaders and effectively manage their schools.
-- STEM High School: Unum provided $100,000 to help fund the build out.
The Strong Schools Grant luncheon will be held in room 151 at Unum from 11:45 am to 1 pm Tuesday, Jan. 8. For more information about the program, please contact Unum employee Cathy Barrett at (423) 240-6741.
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. Democrats re-elect party chairman after 2014 losses
- 3 men shot in Afghanistan worked for North Carolina firm
- Fire in Jones County scorches 3 acres
- Emory, CDC team up to train hospitals in Ebola treatment
- GBI seizes guns while investigating slaying of Cobb couple
- Atlanta mayor explores Civic Center sale outside of auction
- Sheriff's association opposes medical marijuana bill in Ga.
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot for $238,690.08
- GBI investigates shooting of man by Sandy Springs police
- Beverly Hall lawyers say she's still too sick to stand trial
- 6-alarm warehouse fire burns in Brooklyn; nobody hurt
- Man ordered to trial in alleged necrophilia slaying
- Airport authorities: Traveler beats homeless man with chair
- Not so 'Good to Go' when man gets $18,000 toll bridge bill
- Obama mingles with power brokers at Alfalfa Club luncheon
- Things to know about the Boston Marathon bombing trial
- Police: Possible gang tie in San Francisco suitcase remains
- Obama budget sets up battle with GOP-controlled Congress
- Whitney Houston's daughter found unresponsive in tub
- Winter storm heading for Midwest, Northeast
- Vatican: 2 prelates are investigated in child porn case
- Israeli troops shoot dead Palestinian who hurled firebomb
- Charlie Hebdo fans to wait for new issue as survivors rest
- Yemenis say US drone strike kills 4 al-Qaida operatives
- Macedonia opposition leader accused of organizing a coup
- Swiss police: 4 dead after avalanche hits group of skiers
- Anti-Charlie Hebdo protest in Kabul turns violent
- Fire at Bangladesh plastics factory kills at least 13
- Bahrain revokes citizenship of IS group ideologue
- Ex-spy chief wanted in Colombia for wiretaps surrenders
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!