Today: A mix of clouds and sun with an afternoon high in the upper 40s to near 50. A North wind 5-10 mph.
Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible late. An overnight low in the upper 30s. The rain could fall as a light wintry mix at higher ... More...
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
Unum will present 58 Hamilton County school teachers with more than $50,000 in mini-grants at its annual Strong Schools Grant teacher luncheon tomorrow, Jan. 8.
The grants — up to $1,000 each — will help the teachers pay for education materials and programs that engage students and improve their achievement levels.
“There’s great work being done in Hamilton County schools, but we’re recognizing the best of the best,” said Tom White, senior vice president of investor relations for Unum. “Selected out of 144 applicants, these educators will receive grants to help fund worthwhile classroom projects that will provide an even better education for their students.”
The Strong Schools Grants program is part of a multi-year partnership between Unum and the Hamilton County Department of Education. Since 2008, Unum has awarded 271 Strong Schools Grants as part of its commitment of more than $950,000 to Chattanooga public schools. In addition to the Strong Schools Grants program, other initiatives include:
-- Elementary School Technology Grant: In the first phase of the partnership, Unum awarded seven well-performing elementary schools with two state-of-the-art Promethean Collaborative Teaching Systems each. These systems are interactive whiteboards that engage students with vivid images, video and audio.
-- Technology Challenge Grant: To encourage other businesses, organizations and individuals to give, Unum used this grant to match donations to schools specifically for Promethean technology. Fifty-nine Technology Challenge Grants were awarded in the first phase of the partnership.
-- Mentor Program: Through a partnership with Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Unum employees are trained and matched with sixth-grade students at two middle schools.
-- Principal Leadership Academy: The company has given $300,000 to fund a program to train prospective principals in the county school system on how to be strong leaders and effectively manage their schools.
-- STEM High School: Unum provided $100,000 to help fund the build out.
The Strong Schools Grant luncheon will be held in room 151 at Unum from 11:45 am to 1 pm Tuesday, Jan. 8. For more information about the program, please contact Unum employee Cathy Barrett at (423) 240-6741.
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ex-Cub Scout leader sent to prison in child molestation case
- Dalton police officer faces child molestation charge
- Gwinnett County school board approves new attendance zones
- Ga. police offer holiday shipping safety tips
- Ga. public health officials craft driver safety programs
- Woodruff Arts Center receives $120,000 grant
- Ga. man arrested in insurance fraud scheme
- Ga. official picked for president's task force
- Ga. Guard troops home from Afghanistan in time for holidays
- Ga. audit highlights questionable state spending
- Report: FBI's anthrax investigation was flawed
- Bergdahl investigation wraps up; Top leaders get briefings
- Police: 5-year-old boy found dead wasn't abducted
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 5 deaths
- Least productive Congress? Not this one, barely
- Court: Texas 'stand your ground' trial unfair
- Prices at the pump keep falling
- 6th man set to plead guilty in MLB steroid case
- 3.2 quake recorded in Oregon
- Obama closing 2014 with year-end news conference
- Iraq clashes with IS delay evacuation of Yazidis
- Efforts to save rare northern white rhino continue
- 100 million euros in assets seized in Rome 'mafia' probe
- Putin: Russia military modernization plan to go on
- Kenya official: Doping much worse in Russia, China
- No word yet from Fidel amid historic US-Cuba shift
- Finland's 1st terror case sees 4 sentenced
- Kenya president signs controversial new security law
- Russia to seek 10 years in prison for opposition activist
- CERN nuclear physics lab admits Pakistan
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!