Today: Sunny with below average temperatures for mid April. An afternoon high from the around 63 degrees. ESE wind at 10-15 mph.
Tonight: A clear sky and still chilly. But, most areas locally should be above freezing. An overnight ... More...
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
Unum will present 58 Hamilton County school teachers with more than $50,000 in mini-grants at its annual Strong Schools Grant teacher luncheon tomorrow, Jan. 8.
The grants — up to $1,000 each — will help the teachers pay for education materials and programs that engage students and improve their achievement levels.
“There’s great work being done in Hamilton County schools, but we’re recognizing the best of the best,” said Tom White, senior vice president of investor relations for Unum. “Selected out of 144 applicants, these educators will receive grants to help fund worthwhile classroom projects that will provide an even better education for their students.”
The Strong Schools Grants program is part of a multi-year partnership between Unum and the Hamilton County Department of Education. Since 2008, Unum has awarded 271 Strong Schools Grants as part of its commitment of more than $950,000 to Chattanooga public schools. In addition to the Strong Schools Grants program, other initiatives include:
-- Elementary School Technology Grant: In the first phase of the partnership, Unum awarded seven well-performing elementary schools with two state-of-the-art Promethean Collaborative Teaching Systems each. These systems are interactive whiteboards that engage students with vivid images, video and audio.
-- Technology Challenge Grant: To encourage other businesses, organizations and individuals to give, Unum used this grant to match donations to schools specifically for Promethean technology. Fifty-nine Technology Challenge Grants were awarded in the first phase of the partnership.
-- Mentor Program: Through a partnership with Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Unum employees are trained and matched with sixth-grade students at two middle schools.
-- Principal Leadership Academy: The company has given $300,000 to fund a program to train prospective principals in the county school system on how to be strong leaders and effectively manage their schools.
-- STEM High School: Unum provided $100,000 to help fund the build out.
The Strong Schools Grant luncheon will be held in room 151 at Unum from 11:45 am to 1 pm Tuesday, Jan. 8. For more information about the program, please contact Unum employee Cathy Barrett at (423) 240-6741.
Unum invests $50,000 in Hamilton County Classrooms
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Thieves steal House clerk's car outside Capitol
- Public memorial for Herb Emory set for Saturday
- Labor officials form Georgia safety partnership
- US energy secretary to tour Georgia Tech
- Live fire exercise scheduled at Fort Knox
- US transportation secretary to visit Atlanta
- Delta evacuates jet in Atlanta due to cabin smoke
- Smoke reported in plane's cabin at Atlanta airport
- Burned body of missing DeKalb County man recovered
- Ex-GA radiology tech filed false mammogram results
- 3 rescued from ship taking on water in New Orleans
- Jill Biden promotes Post-9/11 GI Bill website
- Obama, Biden to announce $600M for job grants
- Marathon suspect seeks dismissal of some charges
- At Boston Marathon, a chance to finally finish
- Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- Obama seeks inmates worthy of commutation power
- A year after background check defeat, modest goals
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- End of NYPD Muslim surveillance program applauded
- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack
- Gunmen kill 9 on bus in Ethiopia near dam project
- South Korea says nearly 300 missing in ferry disaster
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes kill 4 in rebel town
- Israeli police enter holy site to disperse riot
- Russian FM: Russia still to meet with Ukraine
- Official: Iran will not discuss missile program
- Royal couple arrive in Sydney for Down Under tour
- Uruguay's leader declares $322,883 in wealth
- Australian state leader quits over $2,800 wine
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!