Friday Night: A clear sky with an overnight low near 30. 20s away from the city.
Saturday: Partly sunny and warmer with an afternoon high in the mid/upper 50s. A south wind at 10-15mph.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and not ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Tennessee death row inmate dies in prison
- Georgia's Redcoat Band plans James Brown tribute
- Deputy released from hospital after gunshot wound
- Alabama man dies on flight from Atlanta to Seattle
- Black Friday shoppers: Thanksgiving not for sales
- Deputies hurt while breaking up fight in east Ga.
- Grady no longer accepting major insurer
- More than a dozen horses die in Woodstock fire
- George Takei to narrate Atlanta Symphony concerts
- Police fear gunman may be targeting homeless
- NY dinner puts wealthy and homeless at same tables
- A glance at national protests, cleanup in Ferguson
- Federal panel to hear ex-Detroit mayor's appeal
- Officials suspect poisoning in Oregon crow die-off
- Police: Man held after choking neighbor's loud dog
- Son arrested after woman run over, killed in Maine
- Vegas scooter rider dead in crash on Thanksgiving
- NY dealership ceiling partly collapses, killing 1
- NY officer saw snow boot, then found 2 buried boys
- Police: Man tries to silence neighbor's loud dog
- Death toll in Venezuelan prison overdose up to 35
- Officials: Israel's Eisenkot named military chief
- Argentina: scandal widens over Swiss bank accounts
- Yemen's Shiite, Sunni rivals hold rare meeting
- Bomb blast hits mosque in northern Nigeria city
- Russian Navy successfully tests new missile
- Spain: Bank shootout kills police officer, suspect
- Flooding kills at least 4 in French Riviera towns
- Rebels push forward in southern Syria
- French president cheered in Ebola-stricken Guinea
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!