Tonight: Still some passing showers during the evening. Windy and much colder overnight with a low in the mid 30s. A northwest wind at 15-25mph. Then some snow showers during the overnight and early morning hours.
Saturday: Windy and ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race vote on promise of future
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- NTSB: Kansas plane drifted to left before crashing
- 2 arrested as people flock to Hawaii lava
- Milwaukee chief: Union vote is political move
- Medicare weighs paying for end-of-life counseling
- Ex-Union Carbide chief Anderson dead at 92
- Murder charge dropped in prayer group death
- Navajo elections director agrees to postpone race
- 'Grim Reaper' attacks woman in California home
- California crash is a setback for efforts to put paying customers in space
- Albuquerque police reforms ordered
- Suspected ETA member arrested in Germany
- Canada restricts visas amid Ebola scare
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
- Head of UK sex-abuse inquiry quits
- Canadian gets life sentence in Mounties shootings
- Colombians jailed in Venezuela for $15 grocery run
- Italy phases out sea rescues to save migrants
- Army general takes power in Burkina Faso
- 12 men trapped in Colombia coal mine collapse
- EU confirms North Korea invite for rights visit
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!