Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Va. Gov. McAuliffe to tour tornado damage
- Deadly fungus spreads in Everglades, killing trees
- Little sunlight as Obama raises super PAC dollars
- Central American leaders convening at White House
- Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- APNewsBreak: Gun law based on flawed estimate
- Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor
- Ohio State band marches on after director's firing
- Exoneration hearing set for convicted rapist
- Jordan shoots down 'aerial target' near Syria
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants; 5 dead
- German airlines cancel more Tel Aviv flights
- Australia readies 90 police for Ukraine crash site
- Surgeons in India remove 232 teeth from teen
- Ukraine reports overnight rebel attacks on border
- Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!