Tonight: Clouds returning and not as cold with an overnight low in the mid to upper 40s. An east to northeast wind at 10mph.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance for showers south, especially late day. A cooler afternoon high in the low/mid ... More...
UTC Lecture: Researcher on Teen Sleep Patterns, Early School Start Times
The UTC Diversity Lecture Series presents “Adolescence: Teen Sleep Patterns and Early School Start Times,” a lecture by Dr. Mary A. Carskadon, Director of Chronobiology and Sleep Research at Bradley Hospital and Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University. Carskadon will speak on Thursday, March 29, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at First Centenary, Oak Street Center. This lecture is free and open to the public.
“We want to share the research about adolescent development and the dynamics of early start times to begin a conversation in our community,” said Dr. Roger Thompson, Associate Professor, UTC Department of Criminal Justice.
A major research focus of Carskadon is the sleep patterns of young people. Included in the research the lab performs: circadian rhythms and puberty; changes in how sleep pressure functions in adolescents; the role of morning-type or evening-type preference on sleep behaviors; sleep loss and genetic predictors of depressed mood in college students; sleep patterns and food intake.
Carskadon’s research includes examining associations of sleep regulatory mechanisms to sleep/wake behavior of children, adolescents and young adults.
Her findings have raised public health issues regarding the consequences of insufficient sleep in adolescents and concern about early school start times.
Among a number of honors bestowed upon Carskadon is a Lifetime Achievement Award for the National Sleep Foundation and Outstanding Educator and Distinguished Scientist Awards of the Sleep Research Society.
She is an elected Fellow of the Association of Psychological Science and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Sponsors for the March 29th lecture include UTC Departments of Criminal Justice, City of Chattanooga Office of Multicultural Affairs, UTC College of Health, Education and Professional Studies, Southeast Tennessee Civil Rights Working Group, Chattanooga Gang Task Force, and the UTC Office of Equity and Diversity. Co-sponsors include UTC Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, Social Work, Legal Assistant Studies and Africana Studies.UTC Lecture: Researcher on Teen Sleep Patterns, Early School Start Times
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- US Chamber endorses Kingston in Ga. Senate race
- More than $1M in fake soccer gear seized in Ga.
- Atlanta airport officials mulling terminal hotel
- Geico planning middle Ga. expansion
- Acting Cumberland Island chief to stay permanently
- Old meat processing site now island research lab
- Water main break floods Atlanta street
- Atlanta Braves change policy on guns in stadium
- Man killed, woman wounded in Union City shooting
- Georgia jobless rate drops to 7 percent
- Condition upgraded for victim of firetruck crash
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Oregon ruling spurs halt on immigration detainers
- Woman convicted in hammer beating speaks to jury
- 2 boaters found dead in Lake Erie ID'd; 2 missing
- 911 calls capture chaos after truck-on-bus crash
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- IRS audits less than 1 percent of big partnerships
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- Gulf Arab states strike new deal to heal rifts
- Dutch man's case may be linked to Amanda Todd
- Argentina considers crackdown on street protests
- Was captain among first to leave?
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
- Thugs with machetes attack Nigerian party congress
- Hail wreaks Easter travel havoc in Mexico City
- Croatia extradites ex-spy to Germany
- Ex-Senegalese president's son to face graft trial
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!