Today: Partly sunny and breezy. Highs in the middle 80s with wind from the Northwest 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60s.
Mostly clear skies for Tuesday through Wednesday with ... More...
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
U.S. Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan today announced the selection of Tyler Blackmon of
Rising Fawn, Georgia as a 2012 U.S. Presidential Scholar.
Blackmon attends Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn.
is among the 141 outstanding American high school seniors that have
demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, artistic excellence,
leadership, citizenship, service, and contribution to school and
community. The U.S. Presidential Scholars will be honored for their
accomplishments in Washington D.C., from June 16-19.
Presidential Scholars is an important celebration of students showing
the dedication, creativity and ambition to become future leaders,"
Duncan said. "As national, state and local leaders work side by side
with principals, teachers, and parents to make our schools better, we
can learn from the students all around us whose hard work and
accomplishments embody the kind of excellence we want every child to
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars,
appointed by President Obama, selects honored scholars annually based on
their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations
and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership,
and demonstrated commitment to high ideals. Of the three million
students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than
3,300 candidates qualified for the 2012 awards determined by outstanding
performance on the College Board SAT and ACT exams, and through
nominations made by Chief State School Officers or the National
Foundation for Advancement in the Arts nationwide YoungArts™
The 2012 Presidential Scholars are comprised of one
young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15
chosen at-large and 20 Presidential Scholars in the Arts.
in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored more than
6,000 of the nation's top-performing students with the prestigious award
given to honorees during the annual ceremony in D.C. The program was
expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional
talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. Since 1983, each
Presidential Scholar has been offered the opportunity to invite his or
her most inspiring and challenging teacher to the annual ceremony where
they are honored with a Teacher Recognition Award from the U.S.
Department of Education.
The teacher chosen by Blackmon was Floyd Celapino of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ports Authority reaches 3 million container mark
- Atlanta federal building reopens
- Man drowns at Lake Allatoona northwest of Atlanta
- Small plane crash on Fla. beach; 2 on ground hit
- 3 wounded by gunfire in Savannah shooting
- Pilot killed in NE Georgia plane crash identified
- 4 kids hurt when car rolls down driveway
- Trial in salmonella outbreak set to begin in Ga.
- Atlanta federal building to reopen Monday
- Six Flags hosting 'Fright Fest' recruitment event
- Porch shooter back in court as trial resumes
- NYC mayor moves into historic Gracie Mansion
- Report says surveillance hampering journalists
- 2 questioned in search for Philly carjackers
- Connecticut man accused of shooting pet turtle
- Georgia opens criminal case against ex-president
- Not in my backyard: US sending dirty coal abroad
- Hamas leader Meshaal demands end to occupation
- Government said to suppress evidence in Blackwater
- Father, stepmother of found boy due in court
- Female suicide bomber kills several in Nigeria
- Muslims mark end of Ramadan with Eid celebrations
- Teens: We were told to stay on sinking Korean ship
- Philippine leader: Not even a bomb can stop reform
- Iraqi officials: 14 bodies found in Baghdad
- Liberia president orders new anti-Ebola measures
- Italian tenor Bergonzi dies at age 90
- Japan to step up sanctions against Russia
- Syria's Assad prays as his troops suffer high toll
- UN rights chief: Flight 17 possible war crime
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!