Tonight: Windy and cold through the night with occasional snow showers and flurries. Light accumulation local mountains. An overnight low in the low/mid 30s. A north wind at 15-25mph and gusty. Significant accumulation at higher peaks of Blue Ridge & Smokies ... More...
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
U.S. Secretary of
Education Arne Duncan today announced the selection of Tyler Blackmon of
Rising Fawn, Georgia as a 2012 U.S. Presidential Scholar.
Blackmon attends Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn.
is among the 141 outstanding American high school seniors that have
demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, artistic excellence,
leadership, citizenship, service, and contribution to school and
community. The U.S. Presidential Scholars will be honored for their
accomplishments in Washington D.C., from June 16-19.
Presidential Scholars is an important celebration of students showing
the dedication, creativity and ambition to become future leaders,"
Duncan said. "As national, state and local leaders work side by side
with principals, teachers, and parents to make our schools better, we
can learn from the students all around us whose hard work and
accomplishments embody the kind of excellence we want every child to
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars,
appointed by President Obama, selects honored scholars annually based on
their academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations
and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership,
and demonstrated commitment to high ideals. Of the three million
students expected to graduate from high school this year, more than
3,300 candidates qualified for the 2012 awards determined by outstanding
performance on the College Board SAT and ACT exams, and through
nominations made by Chief State School Officers or the National
Foundation for Advancement in the Arts nationwide YoungArts™
The 2012 Presidential Scholars are comprised of one
young man and one young woman from each state, the District of Columbia
and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad, as well as 15
chosen at-large and 20 Presidential Scholars in the Arts.
in 1964, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program has honored more than
6,000 of the nation's top-performing students with the prestigious award
given to honorees during the annual ceremony in D.C. The program was
expanded in 1979 to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional
talent in the visual, literary and performing arts. Since 1983, each
Presidential Scholar has been offered the opportunity to invite his or
her most inspiring and challenging teacher to the annual ceremony where
they are honored with a Teacher Recognition Award from the U.S.
Department of Education.
The teacher chosen by Blackmon was Floyd Celapino of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Baylor Student Named Presidential Scholar
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race vote on promise of future
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Lake Michigan waves slam Chicago lakeshore
- NYC worker suspended for using 'robotic voice'
- Girl barred over Ebola fears returns to school
- 88-year-old Missouri man charged with killing wife
- $13.5M award in Jehovah's Witnesses molest case
- Hospital: Girl, 14, dies after school shooting
- Police make arrest in slayings of 4 in Kentucky
- Don't forget to set your clocks back
- Superheroes, hazmat suits in NY Halloween parade
- A look at people killed during space missions
- China experimental moon orbiter returns
- Ecuador top court endorses re-election for Correa
- UN expresses 'deep outrage' at Islamic State group
- UN resolution urges Myanmar to drop identity plan
- Cyclists kidnapped, ransomed near Mexico City
- Suspected ETA member arrested in Germany
- Canada restricts visas amid Ebola scare
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
- Head of UK sex-abuse inquiry quits
- Canadian gets life sentence in Mounties shootings
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!