This will be followed by dry and much cooler weather through midweek. Daily highs near 80 and morning lows in the 50s. Fall officially ... More...
UTC Chancellor Retire
Roger Brown, the Chancellor for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga says he is retiring.
Chancellor Brown e-mailed a letter to the entire campus Friday afternoon.
He said he would remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in, or until March 31, 2013.
Chancellor Roger Brown's e-mail to the University:
Dear Campus Colleagues,
As all of you know, this has been a tremendously difficult year for me personally, and yet, throughout all of the ups and downs, Carolyn and I received so much love and support from our campus and community families. You will never know how important this has been for me.
And that is why I wanted to make sure you received this announcement from me personally as soon as I was able to let you know that I have decided to retire from the position of Chancellor of this wonderful campus.
It has truly been a privilege to work at UTC and to be welcomed in the hearts of so many. From the beginning, Carolyn and I felt the friendship and warmth from both the campus and the community. As many of you know, we had already begun to make arrangements to retire and make Chattanooga our home, and I certainly plan to still do so.
With the search for a new provost already in the hatching stage, this year already promised to be a busy one. After talking to President DiPietro, we have agreed that the search for a new chancellor should take precedence so that the new leader can have input into the selection of a new provost. With that idea in mind, I anticipate that President DiPietro will name a chancellor search committee soon with the hope of having a new chancellor in place in spring 2013. I have agreed to remain in place until a new chancellor can be sworn in or until March 31, 2013.
Given this timetable, I suspect that a provost search for this campus will begin a little later than earlier reported, perhaps mid-fall semester, with the thought being that final provost candidates could be identified soon after a new chancellor is selected. This would allow for President DiPietro's wish that the new chancellor be involved in the provost selection.
I realize that this announcement comes while many of you are away for the summer, and I wish I could tell each of you individually, but that is just not possible.
In closing, there is still much to be done this year. All indications point to another record enrollment this fall. Construction projects are spread across campus. Our retention rates are improving. New academic programs have launched and others are in the works.
I appreciate all you do for our students and I pledge to do everything in my power to keep the Chattanooga spirit of achievement strong as I prepare to relinquish the reins to a new leader in the spring.
We shall achieve!
Roger BrownUTC Chancellor Retire
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Polk County sheriff's deputy fatally shoots man
- BET Hip-Hop Awards holds taping of show in Atlanta
- Juror dismissed in trial of suspended DeKalb CEO
- Authorities ID men believed to be on missing plane
- Court to hear appeal of federal death row inmate
- UGA closer to building indoor football field
- Death penalty sought in death of Griffin officer
- Ga.'s crowdfunding backers hope to raise interest
- Clayton County police say teen hurt in dog attack
- Ga. plans to honor MIA Vietnam War service members
- NASA's Maven explorer arriving at Mars after year
- Day 9 begins in hunt for trooper slaying suspect
- Pope chooses a moderate for Chicago archbishop
- Police taking precautions in ambush suspect search
- Residents return to homes as ambush suspect hunted
- 5 killed in Pennsylvania car crash, including kids
- Secret Service boosts security outside White House
- GM recalls 221,558 sedans for fire risk
- Authorities: 5 inmates escape from California jail
- Colorado officers take scores of cats from trailer
- Pope flags Christian-Muslim ties in Albania
- Afghan presidential candidates to sign power deal
- Last king of Nepal suffers heart attack
- China says 88 fugitives returned from abroad
- 5 inmates flee prison in Haiti; 2 recaptured
- Designers go for the flow at Milan Fashion Week
- S. Sudan mediators condemns renewed fighting
- State media: Suicide car bomber kills 3 in Lebanon
- Investigators at loss to explain Air Algerie crash
- Spain repatriates priest with Ebola from Africa
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!